Thanks, but no thanks Re: Thanks, but no thanks Re: Thanks, but no thanks

1 view
Skip to first unread message

Media Goddess

unread,
Jan 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/6/99
to

Steven Whitaker wrote:

> Media Goddess <rdu...@indiana.edu> wrote in article
> <36929D77...@indiana.edu>...
> > I just wanted to say that we here in the Colonies thank you Brits for
> > many, many things: Morrissey, a family of Royals more amusing than
> > anything we could dream up, and the wickedly wonderful Edmund
> > Blackadder.
> >
> > However, when it comes to those damn Teletubbies, we are not amused.
> >
> > -Rae
> >
> > I just felt the need to purge . . .
> >
> >
>
> We are not responsible if the Spice Girls have found careers suitable for
> their talents.
>
> BTW Thanks for the Simpsons
>
> --
>
> Regards
> Steve Whitaker
>

You're most welcome. The Simpsons is one of the great Joys in Life, like
excellent chocolate and having someone scratch your back for you. I have an
application on my computer at work that's a little window that sits on your
desktop with Homer in it, and he randomly shouts things, or eats your mouse
cursor and then burps it back up. I was trying to teach a new photographer
how to scan her negative, and she was somewhat nervous, doing it by herself,
and Homer kept screaming at the most inopportune times. It made her a
nervous wreck, so I had to put him on pause till she was done. Ahhhh, the
wonders of technology!

-Rae


Paul Coxwell

unread,
Jan 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/6/99
to
BD>>You're most welcome. The Simpsons is one of the great Joys in Life, like

Ugh! Am I the only person here who doesn't like this show?

Regards,
Paul.

* OLX 2.1 TD * paul.c...@ooh.dircon.co.uk

Wendy A. S. Taylor

unread,
Jan 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/7/99
to
In article <99010706...@ooh.dircon.co.uk>,

Paul Coxwell <paul.c...@ooh.dircon.co.uk> wrote:
>BD>>You're most welcome. The Simpsons is one of the great Joys in Life, like
>
>Ugh! Am I the only person here who doesn't like this show?

I think it's wickedly funny. I also like South Park.

Wendy

Charles H King

unread,
Jan 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/7/99
to
ccx...@coventry.ac.uk (Wendy A. S. Taylor) wrote:

> I also like South Park.

Now you're talking!

Unfortunately, I left my 'Chocolate Salty Balls' up in Yorkshire :o(

Charlie

(sporting a Southpark tie, to the bemusement of several reactionary
colleagues)

Alan Wrigley

unread,
Jan 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/7/99
to
In message <771t8u$7...@leofric.coventry.ac.uk>

ccx...@coventry.ac.uk (Wendy A. S. Taylor) wrote:

> In article <99010706...@ooh.dircon.co.uk>,
> Paul Coxwell <paul.c...@ooh.dircon.co.uk> wrote:
> >BD>>You're most welcome. The Simpsons is one of the great Joys in Life, like
> >
> >Ugh! Am I the only person here who doesn't like this show?
>

> I think it's wickedly funny. I also like South Park.

...and King of the Hill.

Alan

--
Alan Wrigley http://www.cybervillage.co.uk/alan/
Software engineer, photographer

Gordon Harris

unread,
Jan 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/7/99
to
In article <99010706...@ooh.dircon.co.uk>, Paul Coxwell <paul.coxwe
l...@ooh.dircon.co.uk> writes

>BD>>You're most welcome. The Simpsons is one of the great Joys in Life, like
>
>Ugh! Am I the only person here who doesn't like this show?
>
Probably.
Surely it depicts situations which all^Wmost families experience.

I like the stereotypes of King Of The Hill, too.
--
Gordon

Media Goddess

unread,
Jan 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/7/99
to

Wendy A. S. Taylor wrote:

> In article <99010706...@ooh.dircon.co.uk>,


> Paul Coxwell <paul.c...@ooh.dircon.co.uk> wrote:
> >BD>>You're most welcome. The Simpsons is one of the great Joys in Life, like
> >
> >Ugh! Am I the only person here who doesn't like this show?
>

> I think it's wickedly funny. I also like South Park.
>

> Wendy

The first time I saw South Park, I was utterly appalled. But when they had
Robert Smith, from The Cure, as a guest, I was hooked. I believe it was Stan who
said, "Disintigration is the best album EVER!" I quite agree.

-Rae


Media Goddess

unread,
Jan 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/7/99
to

Alan Wrigley wrote:

> In message <771t8u$7...@leofric.coventry.ac.uk>


> ccx...@coventry.ac.uk (Wendy A. S. Taylor) wrote:
>
> > In article <99010706...@ooh.dircon.co.uk>,
> > Paul Coxwell <paul.c...@ooh.dircon.co.uk> wrote:
> > >BD>>You're most welcome. The Simpsons is one of the great Joys in Life, like
> > >
> > >Ugh! Am I the only person here who doesn't like this show?
> >
> > I think it's wickedly funny. I also like South Park.
>

> ...and King of the Hill.
>
> Alan
>

> And when I first saw King of the Hill, I didn't find it that funny, because I
> grew up in the South, and it hit a little too close to home. I LIVED AROUND
> people like that! But I've since come to appreciate it for it's insight.

-Rae

Chris Morgan

unread,
Jan 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/7/99
to
Media Goddess <rdu...@indiana.edu> writes:

> The first time I saw South Park, I was utterly appalled. But when they had
> Robert Smith, from The Cure, as a guest, I was hooked. I believe it was Stan who
> said, "Disintigration is the best album EVER!" I quite agree.

The episode "Starvin Marvin" is pure comic genius!
--
Chris Morgan <mihalis at ix.netcom.com> http://www.mihalis.net
"At least my mother isn't on the
cover of Crack Whore magazine"

mousetrap

unread,
Jan 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/7/99
to
In article <771t8u$7...@leofric.coventry.ac.uk>, "Wendy A. S. Taylor"
<ccx...@coventry.ac.uk> writes

>In article <99010706...@ooh.dircon.co.uk>,
>Paul Coxwell <paul.c...@ooh.dircon.co.uk> wrote:
>>BD>>You're most welcome. The Simpsons is one of the great Joys in Life, like
>>
>>Ugh! Am I the only person here who doesn't like this show?
>
>I think it's wickedly funny. I also like South Park.

Where, when and how is it on ? I couldn't find it in the TV book....
--
mousetrap

Deltic the Locomotive

unread,
Jan 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/11/99
to
In schedule 07 Jan 1999 13:05:28 -0500, Chris Morgan stated that:

>Media Goddess <rdu...@indiana.edu> writes:
>
>> The first time I saw South Park, I was utterly appalled. But when they had
>> Robert Smith, from The Cure, as a guest, I was hooked. I believe it was Stan who
>> said, "Disintigration is the best album EVER!" I quite agree.
>
>The episode "Starvin Marvin" is pure comic genius!

<contraversial>
This is obviously some new defination of genius that I haven't yet
encountered.....
Now, Project AKO, that is funny.
</contraversial>

--
Why is it that everytime I try to get on the information super highway, I
end up in a contra-flow?

===============================rot13:==========================================
{Svefg RZnvy nqqerff qry...@pbggvatunz.h-arg.pbz}
{Nygreangvir nqqerff qry...@znvypvgl.pbz}
===============================================================================

Deltic the Locomotive

unread,
Jan 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/11/99
to
In schedule Thu, 07 Jan 1999 09:31:00 GMT, Charles H King stated that:

>ccx...@coventry.ac.uk (Wendy A. S. Taylor) wrote:
>
>> I also like South Park.
>
>Now you're talking!
>
>Unfortunately, I left my 'Chocolate Salty Balls' up in Yorkshire :o(
>
>Charlie
>
>(sporting a Southpark tie, to the bemusement of several reactionary
>colleagues)

<off topic>
Wait a moment, is it just that my reader is broken, or is this thread
actually part of the thread that I have just finished, but upside down?
i.e. the oldest post is at the bottom of the thread...
</off topic>

Deltic - confused

Jon Clark

unread,
Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99
to
In article <771t8u$7...@leofric.coventry.ac.uk>, Wendy A. S. Taylor
<ccx...@coventry.ac.uk> writes
>In article <99010706...@ooh.dircon.co.uk>,
>Paul Coxwell <paul.c...@ooh.dircon.co.uk> wrote:
>>BD>>You're most welcome. The Simpsons is one of the great Joys in Life, like
>>
>>Ugh! Am I the only person here who doesn't like this show?
>
>I think it's wickedly funny. I also like South Park.
>
>Wendy

am I the only person in the world who hasn't seen the show ?
--
Jon Clark
is it Friday yet ?

Gordon Harris

unread,
Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99
to
In article <bni6JHAn...@catstone.demon.co.uk>, Jon Clark
<J...@catstone.demon.co.uk> writes

No.
--
Gordon

Karen O'Mara

unread,
Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99
to
Gordon Harris wrote:
>
> No.

Before I cancelled the cable, South Park was on now and then, and I've
never seen it but I heard it in the background and I think it's
overrated and not funny.

My daughter wants to watch it because it's cool and hep now...

Maybe when her math grade improves, the cable will get reconnected and
I'll give it try.

Not gonna like it, though.

Already decided.

Karen

Chris Morgan

unread,
Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99
to
Karen O'Mara <ka...@randomgraphics.com> writes:

> Before I cancelled the cable, South Park was on now and then, and I've
> never seen it but I heard it in the background and I think it's
> overrated and not funny.

Lots of people who have actually watched it found it hilariously
funny. Surely their opinion is more informed?

> Not gonna like it, though.
>
> Already decided.

Ah, well, if you're going to be like that, why discuss it all?

I had no opinion on it either way until I started to understand ther
characters and appreciate the voices and animation.

It reminds me of the furore over Beavis and Butthead :

Critic "But the humour is so juvenile"
Fan "Exactly"

Chris


--
Chris Morgan <mihalis at ix.netcom.com> http://www.mihalis.net

"I don't like the drugs,
but the drugs like me" - Marilyn Manson

Karen O'Mara

unread,
Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99
to
Chris Morgan wrote:
>
> Karen O'Mara <ka...@randomgraphics.com> writes:
>
> > Before I cancelled the cable, South Park was on now and then, and I've
> > never seen it but I heard it in the background and I think it's
> > overrated and not funny.
>
> Lots of people who have actually watched it found it hilariously
> funny. Surely their opinion is more informed?

Gee, what gives? I already clarified that, I believe, by saying I wasn't
giving it 100% attention.

> > Not gonna like it, though.
> >
> > Already decided.
>
> Ah, well, if you're going to be like that, why discuss it all?

Ummm, because it's just a measley 2 cents from me? Why the dukes man?

I guess partly I don't want to like it because my kid's watching it
because all the other kids are right now. I think she wants to like it
because the other kids are, and frankly, I don't think she understand
the humor too much.

Or maybe she likes it just because she likes it, and I wish she'd do her
math or something.

> I had no opinion on it either way until I started to understand ther
> characters and appreciate the voices and animation.
>
> It reminds me of the furore over Beavis and Butthead :

It does remind me of B&B. And like B&B, I don't think SP will stand the
test of time to say... The Simpsons.

>
> Critic "But the humour is so juvenile"
> Fan "Exactly"

Exactly.

:-D

Karen


Media Goddess

unread,
Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99
to

Karen O'Mara wrote:

> <snip>


>
> I guess partly I don't want to like it because my kid's watching it
> because all the other kids are right now. I think she wants to like it
> because the other kids are, and frankly, I don't think she understand
> the humor too much.
>

Well if animation, like any social commentary, (and a good portion of
animation *is* social commentary, because it's more palatable that way) is
done well, then it is multi-leveled, with more depth and insight the further
one wishes to delve. The more sophisticated the level of the viewer, the more
meaning one can derive. Therefore, even if she doesn't get all of it, i.e.,
the more mature jokes, there's enough there for her to like FOR HER LEVEL OF
UNDERSTANDING. The Warner Brothers cartoons we grew up on were rife with
this. When we watch them as adults, we see "in jokes" that we never got as
children. Here are a few examples:

1) In an old Bugs Bunny cartoon, Bugs is on a flying carpet, and below him
are a couple of bodies of water, labeled "Turhan Bey" and "Veronica Lake",
two popular movies stars of the time.

2) In Disney's "Beauty and the Beast", (which had a wickedly insightful
screenplay) the candlestick, Lumiere, is embracing the French Maid, and
trying to persuade her to grace him with her favors. He repeatedly says Yes,
while she says No, and then she says "But I've been burnt by you before"
which is innuendo at it's finest.

3) On an episode of Sesame Street, Grover introduces Monsterpiece Theatre,
and the "movie" shows someone trying to blow out candles on a birthday cake,
and they count to a certain number. Then they announce "Join us next time for
our contiinuation of 'The 400 Blows'" a play on the title of one of the
finest films of the French nouvelle vague, directed by Francois Truffaut (Les
Quatre Cents Coups.)

-Rae


Steve Trawley

unread,
Jan 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/13/99
to
In article <369BB8...@randomgraphics.com>, Karen O'Mara
<ka...@randomgraphics.com> writes
>Gordon Harris wrote:
>>
>> No.

>
>Before I cancelled the cable, South Park was on now and then, and I've
>never seen it but I heard it in the background and I think it's
>overrated and not funny.
>
>My daughter wants to watch it because it's cool and hep now...
>
>Maybe when her math grade improves, the cable will get reconnected and
>I'll give it try.
>
>Not gonna like it, though.
>
>Already decided.
>
This is my kind of woman. Decides what she dislikes before she tries it.
Restores my faith in human nurture :-)
--
Steve T

Gordon Harris

unread,
Jan 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/13/99
to
In article <369BB8...@randomgraphics.com>, Karen O'Mara
<ka...@randomgraphics.com> writes
>Gordon Harris wrote:
>>
>> No.
>
>Before I cancelled the cable, South Park was on now and then, and I've
>never seen it but I heard it in the background and I think it's
>overrated and not funny.
>
>My daughter wants to watch it because it's cool and hep now...
>
>Maybe when her math grade improves, the cable will get reconnected and
>I'll give it try.
>
>Not gonna like it, though.
>
>Already decided.
>Karen

I don't have cable, but after 2 weeks in S/F sampling all those choices
the only really cool channel was the weather station, and there were too
many repeats even there. :-)

Oh, sorry, forgot Blackadder and LOTSW.
--
Gordon

Gordon Harris

unread,
Jan 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/13/99
to
In article <19990112193443...@ng16.aol.com>, MTB0001
<mtb...@aol.commodity> writes
>x-no-archive: yes
>Chris:

>>It reminds me of the furore over Beavis and Butthead :
>>
>>Critic "But the humour is so juvenile"
>>Fan "Exactly"
>
>I once attempted to explain to a much older colleague that it took much wit and
>insight to be able to effectively parody the humour of junior high school boys.
>She didn't get the point. "Point." Huh-uh-huh-uh-uh.
>
My ex's youngest son and his pal, when they were in their late teens,
were B&B personified, as they watched tv cartoons, etc. The whole
family[1] saw the likeness, even their 12 year old sister!

Except themselves of course.
--
Gordon

Karen O'Mara

unread,
Jan 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/13/99
to
Steve Trawley wrote:
>
> In article <369BB8...@randomgraphics.com>, Karen O'Mara
> <ka...@randomgraphics.com> writes
> >Maybe when her math grade improves, the cable will get reconnected and
> >I'll give it try.
> >
> >Not gonna like it, though.
> >
> >Already decided.
> >
> This is my kind of woman. Decides what she dislikes before she tries it.
> Restores my faith in human nurture :-)

I haven't tried tried parachuting or sniffiing morning glory seeds,
either, but I know some people think it's great, but I know I wouldn't
like it.

Karen

Bob Brenchley

unread,
Jan 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/13/99
to
On 12 Jan 1999 17:36:14 -0500 on this learned newsgroup Chris Morgan
<mih...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>Karen O'Mara <ka...@randomgraphics.com> writes:
>
>> Before I cancelled the cable, South Park was on now and then, and I've
>> never seen it but I heard it in the background and I think it's
>> overrated and not funny.
>

>Lots of people who have actually watched it found it hilariously
>funny. Surely their opinion is more informed?

And lots of people who have watched it found it to be crap.

Having now seen it myself, twice, I'll not bother again.

--
Bob.

Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another bar of chocolate.


Nick Leverton

unread,
Jan 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/14/99
to
In article <19990112193443...@ng16.aol.com>

mtb...@aol.commodity (MTB0001) writes:
>Chris:
>>It reminds me of the furore over Beavis and Butthead :
>>
>>Critic "But the humour is so juvenile"
>>Fan "Exactly"
>
>I once attempted to explain to a much older colleague that it took much wit and
>insight to be able to effectively parody the humour of junior high school boys.
>She didn't get the point. "Point." Huh-uh-huh-uh-uh.

I guess it depends on whether you find the humour of junior high school
boys is worth parodying; especially on whether it is capable of
sustaining many, many weeks worth of writing. For my own part, never
having been immersed in it in the first place (call me a young fogey if
you will), I don't ...

N.
--
Adverts are not accepted in uk.singles - please use uk.adverts.personals.

Uk.Singles web site: http://www.mimir.com/singles/
Read the FAQ before posting: http://www.mimir.com/singles/faq.html
Haven't time ? Read the Mini-FAQ: http://www.mimir.com/singles/minifaq.html


Matt

unread,
Jan 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/14/99
to
I don't want to offend anyone (Karen) but if you haven't tried something,
how do you know you won't like it? Surely that's no different from parents
trying to persuade their kids that eating vegetables is a good thing? I
think you have a touch of fear of the unknown and this should be monitored.
You ought to be careful that you don't miss out on a whole lot of life
because you "know" that you won't like stuff.

I had to write this because you mentioned parachuting. The very thought of
it scared the living daylights out of me before I tried it for charity and I
found it to be THE most liberating, exhilarating experience ever!

Just my POV Matt (really not trying to piss anyone off!)

David Reid

unread,
Jan 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/14/99
to
In outpouring of consciousness known as <369C0B13...@indiana.edu>,
Media Goddess <rdu...@indiana.edu> spake thusly:

>
>2) In Disney's "Beauty and the Beast", (which had a wickedly insightful
>screenplay) the candlestick, Lumiere, is embracing the French Maid, and
>trying to persuade her to grace him with her favors. He repeatedly says Yes,
>while she says No, and then she says "But I've been burnt by you before"
>which is innuendo at it's finest.
>
I went to see the Hinckley Concordia Pantomime Companies production of
The Pied Piper of Hamelin last night. There's quite a lot of similarity
between good Animation and good Panto, particularly when it comes to
aiming the jokes at different levels. A couple of (unconnected) quotes
from last night:

Dame: I've got everything a girl could wish for and a little more
besides.

Hansel: He'll get the bone after the wedding.

--
David Reid Da...@davita.demon.co.uk http://www.davita.demon.co.uk
International Goatkeepers Society, member number: 001905

James Holtom

unread,
Jan 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/15/99
to

Sorry for quoting in-whole, but I know some folks have been moved to
suggest kill-filing the whole FreeServe domain -- this is surely
evidence that they aren't all-bad. (In fact I may move my posting to
there at some point in the future, if-only 'cos it's free...)

Anway, Matt: Sound points, I doub't you'll irritate anyone with sensible
discussion, such as that you just penned.

Welcome to the group.

Cheers,

James


Karen O'Mara

unread,
Jan 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/15/99
to
Matt wrote:
>
> I don't want to offend anyone (Karen) but if you haven't tried something,
> how do you know you won't like it? Surely that's no different from parents
> trying to persuade their kids that eating vegetables is a good thing? I
> think you have a touch of fear of the unknown and this should be monitored.
> You ought to be careful that you don't miss out on a whole lot of life
> because you "know" that you won't like stuff.
>
> I had to write this because you mentioned parachuting. The very thought of
> it scared the living daylights out of me before I tried it for charity and I
> found it to be THE most liberating, exhilarating experience ever!
>
> Just my POV Matt (really not trying to piss anyone off!)

No offense taken, Matt.

I'd rather die than attempt to jump out of a plane with a parachute.
Just my opinion.

HTH
--
Karen O'
37:23:10 N
122:04:58 W

David Curtis

unread,
Jan 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/15/99
to
In article <77la34$vcq$1...@news5.svr.pol.co.uk>,

Matt <ma...@musicville.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>I don't want to offend anyone (Karen) but if you haven't tried something,
>how do you know you won't like it? Surely that's no different from parents
>trying to persuade their kids that eating vegetables is a good thing? I
>think you have a touch of fear of the unknown and this should be monitored.
>You ought to be careful that you don't miss out on a whole lot of life
>because you "know" that you won't like stuff.
>
>I had to write this because you mentioned parachuting. The very thought of
>it scared the living daylights out of me before I tried it for charity and I
>found it to be THE most liberating, exhilarating experience ever!

I know it sometimes happens that there are activities that someone
really doesn't want to do, having never tried it, does eventually
try it, and thinks it is wonderful!
However, there are also occasions where you don't need to try something
to know you won't like it, or at any rate will in all probability
not like it, because there are some very solid reasons as to why not.
Not fear of the unknown, but fear of the partially-known-and-doesn't-
like-it!

David
--
http://users.ox.ac.uk/~coml0031/
v 3.12 GM/CS d s:++ a-< C++ U+ p L !E W++ N++ o+ K W-- O? M-- V--
PS? PE? Y PGP- t-- !5 X- R- tv--- b+++ DI+ D- G e++++ h- r z+(--)
-=- For true relaxation, try a hot bath and a squeaky bath toy -=-

James Holtom

unread,
Jan 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/15/99
to
On Fri, 15 Jan 1999, Karen O'Mara wrote:

> Matt wrote:
> > Just my POV Matt (really not trying to piss anyone off!)
>
> No offense taken, Matt.
>
> I'd rather die than attempt to jump out of a plane with a parachute.

I think in certain circumstances this is pretty-well assured. That you
will die you don't jump.

OTOH under normal conditions I see no earthly reason to jump out of a
perfectly good aeroplane :-)

Cheers,

James


Gillian Matthews

unread,
Jan 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/15/99
to
In article <77ntnu$jdn$1...@news.ox.ac.uk>, coml...@ermine.ox.ac.uk (David

Curtis) wrote:
> >You ought to be careful that you don't miss out on a whole lot of life
> >because you "know" that you won't like stuff.

OTOH If you are afraid of the dark,claustrophobic and dislike getting wet,
you can be fairly confident that sump diving in caves is probably not your
sport. :-)

Gill (Who dislikes loud continuous noise and suffers from motion sickness
and has therefore dicarded the idea of motor sport and aviation hobbies)

--
http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/gill.matthews

Steve Trawley

unread,
Jan 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/15/99
to
In article <77la34$vcq$1...@news5.svr.pol.co.uk>, Matt <ma...@musicville.fre
eserve.co.uk> writes

>I don't want to offend anyone (Karen) but if you haven't tried something,
>how do you know you won't like it? Surely that's no different from parents
>trying to persuade their kids that eating vegetables is a good thing? I
>think you have a touch of fear of the unknown and this should be monitored.
>You ought to be careful that you don't miss out on a whole lot of life
>because you "know" that you won't like stuff.
>
>I had to write this because you mentioned parachuting. The very thought of
>it scared the living daylights out of me before I tried it for charity and I
>found it to be THE most liberating, exhilarating experience ever!
>
>Just my POV Matt (really not trying to piss anyone off!)
>
>
Just my peronal POV but why would anyone wish to jump out of a
serviceable aircraft?
--
Loretta

Steve Trawley

unread,
Jan 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/15/99
to
In article <Pine.BSF.4.05.990115...@BITS.bris.ac.uk>,
James Holtom <ja...@BITS.bris.ac.uk> writes

>On Fri, 15 Jan 1999, Karen O'Mara wrote:
>
>> Matt wrote:
>> > Just my POV Matt (really not trying to piss anyone off!)
>>
>> No offense taken, Matt.
>>
>> I'd rather die than attempt to jump out of a plane with a parachute.
>
>I think in certain circumstances this is pretty-well assured. That you
>will die you don't jump.
>
>OTOH under normal conditions I see no earthly reason to jump out of a
>perfectly good aeroplane :-)
>
>Cheers,
>
>James
>
Duuuuuuuuh. Slap hand accepted. I just said this somewhere else. Teach
me to read *all* before posting.
--
Loretta

Open to offers of retributive flagellation.

Steve Trawley

unread,
Jan 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/15/99
to
In article <na.42f7ff48c4.a7...@argonet.co.uk>, Gillian
Matthews <gill.m...@argonet.co.uk> writes

>In article <77ntnu$jdn$1...@news.ox.ac.uk>, coml...@ermine.ox.ac.uk (David
>Curtis) wrote:
>> >You ought to be careful that you don't miss out on a whole lot of life
>> >because you "know" that you won't like stuff.
>
>OTOH If you are afraid of the dark,claustrophobic and dislike getting wet,
>you can be fairly confident that sump diving in caves is probably not your
>sport. :-)
>
>Gill (Who dislikes loud continuous noise and suffers from motion sickness
>and has therefore dicarded the idea of motor sport and aviation hobbies)
>
Spice Girls obviously not for you then :-)
--
Loretta

David Reid

unread,
Jan 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/16/99
to
In outpouring of consciousness known as <na.42f7ff48c4.a70250gill.matthe
w...@argonet.co.uk>, Gillian Matthews <gill.m...@argonet.co.uk> spake
thusly:

>
>OTOH If you are afraid of the dark,claustrophobic and dislike getting wet,
>you can be fairly confident that sump diving in caves is probably not your
>sport. :-)
>
That's quite high on my list of "Please leave you sanity at reception"
sports. Do people really do it for *fun*?

David's laws of car restoration:
2) If it doesn't fit, bend it.

David Reid

unread,
Jan 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/16/99
to
In outpouring of consciousness known as <23MvSCCD...@trawley.demon.
co.uk>, Steve Trawley <st...@trawley.demon.co.uk> spake thusly:
>>
>Just my peronal POV but why would anyone wish to jump out of a
>serviceable aircraft?

Because virtually all accidents happen when the plane reaches the
ground, therefore by leaving the plane well before it gets there you
decrease your chance of dying quite significantly.

Gordon Harris

unread,
Jan 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/16/99
to
In article <36a263a...@news.demon.co.uk>, The Ferret <ferret@chatea
uferret.demon.co.uk> writes
>Thus spake Steve Trawley <st...@trawley.demon.co.uk>:

>
>>Just my peronal POV but why would anyone wish to jump out of a
>>serviceable aircraft?
>
> If it were going to L****n. HTH
>
56º 7.5' N ; 3º 55.9' W

I would first consult my GPS and check whether I was over any sharp
pointy bits or extremely moist places.
--
Gordon
53 27' 5.9" N : 2 9' 18.2" W

Media Goddess

unread,
Jan 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/16/99
to

David Reid wrote:

> In outpouring of consciousness known as <na.42f7ff48c4.a70250gill.matthe
> w...@argonet.co.uk>, Gillian Matthews <gill.m...@argonet.co.uk> spake
> thusly:
> >
> >OTOH If you are afraid of the dark,claustrophobic and dislike getting wet,
> >you can be fairly confident that sump diving in caves is probably not your
> >sport. :-)
> >
> That's quite high on my list of "Please leave you sanity at reception"
> sports. Do people really do it for *fun*?

A friend here at IU, who is an otherwise brilliant person majoring in
Cognitive Science and at age 22 is the Network and System Administrator for
the Music School's Digital Library, making $35k a year, *loves* caving. Why
anyone would want to go hang out in a cave, with the possibility of human
excrement floating past you as you're up to your nose in water, is simply
beyond me. I think I'd much rather spend the day with a pair of tweezers,
pulling each and every hair out of my body, thank you very much.

-Rae


Media Goddess

unread,
Jan 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/16/99
to

David Reid wrote:

> In outpouring of consciousness known as <23MvSCCD...@trawley.demon.
> co.uk>, Steve Trawley <st...@trawley.demon.co.uk> spake thusly:
> >>

> >Just my peronal POV but why would anyone wish to jump out of a
> >serviceable aircraft?
>

> Because virtually all accidents happen when the plane reaches the
> ground, therefore by leaving the plane well before it gets there you
> decrease your chance of dying quite significantly.

Sounds good to me! When do we leave?

-Rae


Charles Bryant

unread,
Jan 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/16/99
to
In article <79SrKGAT...@davita.demon.co.uk>,

David Reid <da...@davita.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>Because virtually all accidents happen when the plane reaches the
>ground, therefore by leaving the plane well before it gets there you
>decrease your chance of dying quite significantly.

You can? Can you avoid taxes too?


Alan H Jones

unread,
Jan 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/16/99
to
In article <77ntnu$jdn$1...@news.ox.ac.uk>, David Curtis
<coml...@ermine.ox.ac.uk> writes

>I know it sometimes happens that there are activities that someone
>really doesn't want to do, having never tried it, does eventually
>try it, and thinks it is wonderful!
>However, there are also occasions where you don't need to try something
>to know you won't like it, or at any rate will in all probability
>not like it, because there are some very solid reasons as to why not.
>Not fear of the unknown, but fear of the partially-known-and-doesn't-
>like-it!

Yes, but you will only *know* you don't like it after you've tried it...
and what if you're wrong!

My wife was convinced that she would be bored witless when I finally
persuaded her to go fishing with me, but although she didn't catch
anything on the first outing, she was hooked. The next week she
practised casting every day in the back garden, and the following
weekend she caught a half pound Brown Trout! From then on there was no
stopping her. Two years later she hooked her first salmon, but when, in
heavy water, it got below her, I knew she did not have the experience to
land it. Five minutes later I netted a 12 pounder!


She was terrified of guns, even leaving the room while I cleaned my 12
bore, and was adamant that she would not try shooting, Eventually I got
her up to the local shooting ground by calling in to buy some
cartridges. The coach there was the famous Clarrie Wilson, who quickly
explained to her that shotguns cannot 'backfire', and within an hour she
was powdering clay pigeons like a pro!

She made many friends at the shooting ground and for the rest of her
life fishing and shooting were focal points. After we split up I used
to used to shoot with her until her arthritis became too severe.

I'm reminded of the old saying, "One should try everything once...
except perhaps brass bands and incest!" (Does anyone know who said
this?)
--
Alan H Jones Atheist, Angler, Cat Lover, Shooter.
Manchester UK

Media Goddess

unread,
Jan 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/16/99
to

Steve Trawley wrote:

> In article <36A11AF9...@indiana.edu>, Media Goddess
> <rdu...@indiana.edu> writes


> >
> >A friend here at IU, who is an otherwise brilliant person majoring in
> >Cognitive Science and at age 22 is the Network and System Administrator for
> >the Music School's Digital Library, making $35k a year, *loves* caving. Why
> >anyone would want to go hang out in a cave, with the possibility of human
> >excrement floating past you as you're up to your nose in water, is simply
> >beyond me. I think I'd much rather spend the day with a pair of tweezers,
> >pulling each and every hair out of my body, thank you very much.
> >

> No, you don't want to do that Rae.
>
> Lend me your tweezers and I'd be honoured to do it for you :-)
>
> (fx: presses body back against wall to avoid rush from rampaging male
> snugglers /fx:)
> --
> Loretta

Seems like someone beat you to the punch.

-Rae


Media Goddess

unread,
Jan 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/16/99
to

David Reid wrote:

> In outpouring of consciousness known as <3YRfJdAL...@trawley.demon.


> co.uk>, Steve Trawley <st...@trawley.demon.co.uk> spake thusly:
> >>

> >No, you don't want to do that Rae.
> >
> >Lend me your tweezers and I'd be honoured to do it for you :-)
> >
> >(fx: presses body back against wall to avoid rush from rampaging male
> >snugglers /fx:)
>

> <SMACK THUMP CRUNCH>
> <surveys, pile of bodies and brushes imaginary speck of dirt from
> sleeve>
> <Picks up tweezers>
>
> Right, Where do you want me to start?

So chivalrous, so gallant. *sigh*

-Rae


Jon Clark

unread,
Jan 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/16/99
to
>> >You ought to be careful that you don't miss out on a whole lot of life
>> >because you "know" that you won't like stuff.
>
>OTOH If you are afraid of the dark,claustrophobic and dislike getting wet,
>you can be fairly confident that sump diving in caves is probably not your
>sport. :-)
>
>Gill (Who dislikes loud continuous noise and suffers from motion sickness
>and has therefore dicarded the idea of motor sport and aviation hobbies)
>

I suffered from claustrophobia as a kid and took up caving to beat it. I
never really enjoyed the caving, the social scene was very good and
after a couple of years gave it up, being cured.
--
Jon Clark
is it Friday yet ?

Jon Clark

unread,
Jan 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/16/99
to
In article <23MvSCCD...@trawley.demon.co.uk>, Steve Trawley
<st...@trawley.demon.co.uk> writes

>In article <77la34$vcq$1...@news5.svr.pol.co.uk>, Matt <ma...@musicville.fre
>eserve.co.uk> writes
>>I don't want to offend anyone (Karen) but if you haven't tried something,
>>how do you know you won't like it? Surely that's no different from parents
>>trying to persuade their kids that eating vegetables is a good thing? I
>>think you have a touch of fear of the unknown and this should be monitored.
>>You ought to be careful that you don't miss out on a whole lot of life
>>because you "know" that you won't like stuff.
>>
>>I had to write this because you mentioned parachuting. The very thought of
>>it scared the living daylights out of me before I tried it for charity and I
>>found it to be THE most liberating, exhilarating experience ever!
>>
>>Just my POV Matt (really not trying to piss anyone off!)
>>
>>
>Just my peronal POV but why would anyone wish to jump out of a
>serviceable aircraft?

...and risk being chopped to bits by the propellor of another aircraft
who's pilot hasn't read the warning notices and doesn't know you are
there :)

Alan H Jones

unread,
Jan 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/17/99
to
In article <na.42f7ff48c4.a7...@argonet.co.uk>, Gillian
Matthews <gill.m...@argonet.co.uk> writes
>In article <77ntnu$jdn$1...@news.ox.ac.uk>, coml...@ermine.ox.ac.uk (David
>Curtis) wrote:
>> >You ought to be careful that you don't miss out on a whole lot of life
>> >because you "know" that you won't like stuff.
>
>OTOH If you are afraid of the dark,claustrophobic and dislike getting wet,
>you can be fairly confident that sump diving in caves is probably not your
>sport. :-)

Possibly, but hearing from enthusiastic sump divers about the wonders to
be seen might enable one to overcome such phobias.


>
>Gill (Who dislikes loud continuous noise and suffers from motion sickness
>and has therefore dicarded the idea of motor sport and aviation hobbies)
>

Most noisy sports require the participants to wear hearing protection,
and I think motion sickness is caused by not being in control of the
movement. (Those who suffer from car sickness are less likely to be ill
if they can be persuaded to watch the road.)

Go on, Gill, try it! :-)
--
*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
# Alan H Jones * "80% of all questions which begin with the #
# * word 'Why', can be answered with four words: #
# Manchester UK * 'Because people are stupid.'" Anon #
*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*

Alan H Jones

unread,
Jan 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/17/99
to
>Just my peronal POV but why would anyone wish to jump out of a
>serviceable aircraft?

For fun? I understand that if the plane is at sufficient altitude one
can have several minutes of 'flying' before one has to open the
parachute.

I have always wished that I could try this, but as I am rather prone to
slipped discs, I suspect that even a relatively gentle landing would
damage my back. :-(

(This is one of the occasions when the .sig does not apply!) :-)

Steve Trawley

unread,
Jan 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/17/99
to
In article <36A11AF9...@indiana.edu>, Media Goddess
<rdu...@indiana.edu> writes
>
>
>David Reid wrote:
>
>> In outpouring of consciousness known as <na.42f7ff48c4.a70250gill.matthe
>> w...@argonet.co.uk>, Gillian Matthews <gill.m...@argonet.co.uk> spake
>> thusly:
>> >
>> >OTOH If you are afraid of the dark,claustrophobic and dislike getting wet,
>> >you can be fairly confident that sump diving in caves is probably not your
>> >sport. :-)
>> >
>> That's quite high on my list of "Please leave you sanity at reception"
>> sports. Do people really do it for *fun*?
>
>A friend here at IU, who is an otherwise brilliant person majoring in
>Cognitive Science and at age 22 is the Network and System Administrator for
>the Music School's Digital Library, making $35k a year, *loves* caving. Why
>anyone would want to go hang out in a cave, with the possibility of human
>excrement floating past you as you're up to your nose in water, is simply
>beyond me. I think I'd much rather spend the day with a pair of tweezers,
>pulling each and every hair out of my body, thank you very much.
>
No, you don't want to do that Rae.

Lend me your tweezers and I'd be honoured to do it for you :-)

(fx: presses body back against wall to avoid rush from rampaging male
snugglers /fx:)

--
Loretta

David Reid

unread,
Jan 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/17/99
to
In outpouring of consciousness known as <3YRfJdAL...@trawley.demon.
co.uk>, Steve Trawley <st...@trawley.demon.co.uk> spake thusly:
>>
>No, you don't want to do that Rae.
>
>Lend me your tweezers and I'd be honoured to do it for you :-)
>
>(fx: presses body back against wall to avoid rush from rampaging male
>snugglers /fx:)

<SMACK THUMP CRUNCH>


<surveys, pile of bodies and brushes imaginary speck of dirt from
sleeve>
<Picks up tweezers>

Right, Where do you want me to start?

--

James Holtom

unread,
Jan 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/17/99
to
In message <36A11AF9...@indiana.edu>
Media Goddess <rdu...@indiana.edu> wrote:

[Caving]

> I think I'd much rather spend the day with a pair of tweezers,
> pulling each and every hair out of my body, thank you very much.

\begin{stereotype}

I thought a lot of women did ;-)

\end{stereotype}

Dons asbestos suit, and runs...

Cheers

James


Media Goddess

unread,
Jan 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/17/99
to

James Holtom wrote:

That doesn't mean it feels GOOD!!!!!

-Rae, who thinks you'd BETTER put that suit on!


Gillian Matthews

unread,
Jan 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/17/99
to
In article <BtF7UHAo...@antler.demon.co.uk>, Alan H Jones

<al...@antler.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Most noisy sports require the participants to wear hearing protection,
> and I think motion sickness is caused by not being in control of the
> movement. (Those who suffer from car sickness are less likely to be ill
> if they can be persuaded to watch the road.)
>
> Go on, Gill, try it! :-)

I do shoot clays Alan, while wearing ear defenders But I have been car sick
when *I* was driving, which I believe is unusual (yes I do watch the road
when driving)) I was thinking more in terms of watching motorsport I feel I
might look a bit silly turning up at BrandsHatch with my ear defenders.
(Idont like the smell either)
Gill

--
http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/gill.matthews

Steve Trawley

unread,
Jan 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/17/99
to
In article <4Ug7g2AY...@davita.demon.co.uk>, David Reid
<da...@davita.demon.co.uk> writes

>In outpouring of consciousness known as <3YRfJdAL...@trawley.demon.
>co.uk>, Steve Trawley <st...@trawley.demon.co.uk> spake thusly:
>>>
>>No, you don't want to do that Rae.
>>
>>Lend me your tweezers and I'd be honoured to do it for you :-)
>>
>>(fx: presses body back against wall to avoid rush from rampaging male
>>snugglers /fx:)
>
><SMACK THUMP CRUNCH>
><surveys, pile of bodies and brushes imaginary speck of dirt from
>sleeve>
><Picks up tweezers>
>
>Right, Where do you want me to start?
>
You could start by putting my arms back in their sockets, you B*****d
[tm]. :-)
--
Loretta

Steve Trawley

unread,
Jan 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/17/99
to
In article <36A16A61...@indiana.edu>, Media Goddess
<rdu...@indiana.edu> writes

>
>
>Steve Trawley wrote:
>
>> In article <36A11AF9...@indiana.edu>, Media Goddess
>> <rdu...@indiana.edu> writes
>> >
>> >A friend here at IU, who is an otherwise brilliant person majoring in
>> >Cognitive Science and at age 22 is the Network and System Administrator for
>> >the Music School's Digital Library, making $35k a year, *loves* caving. Why
>> >anyone would want to go hang out in a cave, with the possibility of human
>> >excrement floating past you as you're up to your nose in water, is simply
>> >beyond me. I think I'd much rather spend the day with a pair of tweezers,

>> >pulling each and every hair out of my body, thank you very much.
>> >
>> No, you don't want to do that Rae.
>>
>> Lend me your tweezers and I'd be honoured to do it for you :-)
>>
>> (fx: presses body back against wall to avoid rush from rampaging male
>> snugglers /fx:)
>> --
>> Loretta
>
> Seems like someone beat you to the punch.
>
Shhhalright.......I managed too frinishhh the fruit dip, hic.
--
Loretta

Steve Trawley

unread,
Jan 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/17/99
to
In article <na.8cbed948c5.a7...@argonet.co.uk>, Gillian
Matthews <gill.m...@argonet.co.uk> writes

You should try Perfumed Ear Defenders [tm], then.
--
Loretta

Gordon Harris

unread,
Jan 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/17/99
to
In article <i93zwDAh...@antler.demon.co.uk>, Alan H Jones
<al...@antler.demon.co.uk> writes

>
>My wife was convinced that she would be bored witless when I finally
>persuaded her to go fishing with me, but although she didn't catch
>anything on the first outing, she was hooked.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Ouch! That can be painful.


> The next week she
>practised casting every day in the back garden, and the following
>weekend she caught a half pound Brown Trout!

You must get plenty rain in South Manchester.......:-)
--
Gordon

Media Goddess

unread,
Jan 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/17/99
to

Dave {Reply Address in.sig} wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Jan 1999 22:48:37 -0600, Media Goddess wrote:


> >
> >David Reid wrote:
> >
> >>
> >> Right, Where do you want me to start?
> >

> >So chivalrous, so gallant. *sigh*
> >
>

> <barf>
>
> Dave

Of course, it *could* mean that he has a bit of the sadist in him, in
which case, maybe I should be worrying what I've got myself into here.

-Rae


James Holtom

unread,
Jan 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/17/99
to
In message <19990117001859...@ng-ca1.aol.com>
mtb...@aol.commodity (MTB0001) wrote:

> x-no-archive: yes
> James:


> >I thought a lot of women did ;-)
>

> With *tweezers*? uk.people.bdsm is thataway --->

Are you suggesting that waxed-paper, or those electric-wands are /more/
humane...
I suppose sticking plasters, and electric cattle-prods are as nothing
compared to these...

Doesn't the UN convention on human rights outlaw torture -- such as that
which many folk willingly subject themselves...

Cheers,

James


Sharon Pending

unread,
Jan 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/17/99
to
In article <9G69+bAm...@trawley.demon.co.uk>, Steve Trawley
<st...@trawley.demon.co.uk> writes

I would recommend the "Ear Slugs" that you squash up and put inside your
ear. They work well if you roll them up as per the instructions and
don't distort the sound too much. They are usually yellow (before you
use them!!) and come either in pairs or boxes of 25 pairs.

Sharon Pending
Tokenism

David Reid

unread,
Jan 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/17/99
to
In outpouring of consciousness known as <na.8cbed948c5.a70250gill.matthe

w...@argonet.co.uk>, Gillian Matthews <gill.m...@argonet.co.uk> spake
thusly:

> I was thinking more in terms of watching motorsport I feel I


>might look a bit silly turning up at BrandsHatch with my ear defenders.

Ear plugs? ~I was under the impression it was quite common to use them
when watching motorsport at close range.

None of you exist, the whole Internet is just a figment of my computers
warped imagination.

David Reid

unread,
Jan 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/17/99
to
In outpouring of consciousness known as <abbaryybaqryqrzbapbhx.f5phx2c.p
minews@sharra>, Dave {Reply Address in.sig} <no...@llondel.demon.co.uk>
spake thusly:
>
><barf>
>
>
>Dave

Ugh. All over the carpet, do you realise what vomit does to carpets?
I'll probably have to pay the maid overtime to get the stain out. Here,
use this sick bag next time.

Steve Trawley

unread,
Jan 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/17/99
to
In article <48C5D8EDFA%ja...@bits.bristol.ac.uk>, James Holtom
<ja...@bits.bristol.ac.uk> writes
We're reading your postings, does that qualify. :-)
--
Loretta

Steve Trawley

unread,
Jan 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/17/99
to
In article <4s+VKBAi...@davita.demon.co.uk>, David Reid
<da...@davita.demon.co.uk> writes

>In outpouring of consciousness known as <na.8cbed948c5.a70250gill.matthe
>w...@argonet.co.uk>, Gillian Matthews <gill.m...@argonet.co.uk> spake
>thusly:
>
>> I was thinking more in terms of watching motorsport I feel I
>>might look a bit silly turning up at BrandsHatch with my ear defenders.
>
>Ear plugs? ~I was under the impression it was quite common to use them
>when watching motorsport at close range.
>
So that's what David Coulthard gave me at the Brit GP. I wondered why
they took so bloody long to chew.
--
Loretta

Steve Trawley

unread,
Jan 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/17/99
to
In article <8fT4uEAO...@gtex.demon.co.uk>, Sharon Pending
<da...@gtex.demon.co.uk> writes

>In article <9G69+bAm...@trawley.demon.co.uk>, Steve Trawley
><st...@trawley.demon.co.uk> writes
>>In article <na.8cbed948c5.a7...@argonet.co.uk>, Gillian
>>Matthews <gill.m...@argonet.co.uk> writes
>>>In article <BtF7UHAo...@antler.demon.co.uk>, Alan H Jones
>>><al...@antler.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>>> Most noisy sports require the participants to wear hearing protection,
>>>> and I think motion sickness is caused by not being in control of the
>>>> movement. (Those who suffer from car sickness are less likely to be ill
>>>> if they can be persuaded to watch the road.)
>>>>
>>>> Go on, Gill, try it! :-)
>>>
>>>I do shoot clays Alan, while wearing ear defenders But I have been car sick
>>>when *I* was driving, which I believe is unusual (yes I do watch the road
>>>when driving)) I was thinking more in terms of watching motorsport I feel I

>>>might look a bit silly turning up at BrandsHatch with my ear defenders.
>>>(Idont like the smell either)
>>
>>You should try Perfumed Ear Defenders [tm], then.
>
>I would recommend the "Ear Slugs" that you squash up and put inside your
>ear. They work well if you roll them up as per the instructions and
>don't distort the sound too much. They are usually yellow (before you
>use them!!) and come either in pairs or boxes of 25 pairs.
>
Why pay for them when you can get them out of the garden?

How do you catch them? Just stand still and whisper " 'ear slugs, 'ear
slugs."

<fx: wind whistles, tumbleweed rolls silently across froup /fx:>


I'll get my coat.
--
Loretta

Gordon Harris

unread,
Jan 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/17/99
to
In article <8fT4uEAO...@gtex.demon.co.uk>, Sharon Pending
<da...@gtex.demon.co.uk> writes
>In article <9G69+bAm...@trawley.demon.co.uk>, Steve Trawley
><st...@trawley.demon.co.uk> writes
>>In article <na.8cbed948c5.a7...@argonet.co.uk>, Gillian
>>Matthews <gill.m...@argonet.co.uk> writes
>>>
>>>I do shoot clays Alan, while wearing ear defenders But I have been car sick
>>>when *I* was driving, which I believe is unusual (yes I do watch the road
>>>when driving)) I was thinking more in terms of watching motorsport I feel I
>>>might look a bit silly turning up at BrandsHatch with my ear defenders.
>>>(Idont like the smell either)
>>
>>You should try Perfumed Ear Defenders [tm], then.
>
>I would recommend the "Ear Slugs" that you squash up and put inside your
>ear. They work well if you roll them up as per the instructions and
>don't distort the sound too much. They are usually yellow (before you
>use them!!) and come either in pairs or boxes of 25 pairs.
>
Who sells them?
I was once persuaded to attend an Elkie Brooks concert by Sue & the
family. I had to resort to chewed Kleenex stuffed in my ear to bring
the level down to deafening.
--
Gordon

Gillian Matthews

unread,
Jan 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/17/99