sunspot total area peak relative to sunspot number peak

David Dalton

Nov 5, 2022, 12:33:35 AM11/5/22
I seem to recall that the peak in the total surface area
of sunspots happens after the peak in sunspot number,
so occurs on the right flank of the sunspot number plot.
Is that the case?

"I'm on my way/And I must flag the last train down"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x0jjvslUuY (Bill Bourne - Baggins)

a a

Nov 5, 2022, 11:02:35 AM11/5/22
Thank you David in your interest in suinspots

Please read my question and comments followed.

Timeline for How a sunspot number is calculated by an individual observer?

https://astronomy.stackexchange.com/posts/50939/timeline

====
I would to test sunspot total area calculation algorithm if you know one to work.

If none is freely available I would like to develop one, projecting 2D flat image of solar disc back to 3D sphere
to get the original shape and size of sunspots recovered.

I am trying to count raw number of sunspots on a daily basis.

I can access daily images of the solar disc.

Tried hard but failed to get official definition of sunspot group/s for comparison since raw number of sunspots is just raw number and none group of sunspots is multiplied by 10.

If you are interested, I can count raw number of sunspots on a daily basis and sent to you/ to this usenet group
but still not aware of any algorithm, calculating total surface of sunspots

How a sunspot number is calculated by an individual observer?
Asked 3 days ago
Modified 3 days ago
Viewed 81 times

https://astronomy.stackexchange.com/questions/50939/how-a-sunspot-number-is-calculated-by-an-individual-observer?noredirect=1#comment113773_50939

David Dalton

Nov 5, 2022, 3:50:43 PM11/5/22
In article <98033825-13ce-4fd0...@googlegroups.com>,
OK, thanks. If I get any replies on the other six groups I
have posted to I will summarize them on here.

Richard Tobin

Nov 5, 2022, 5:15:02 PM11/5/22
In article <dalton-E42127....@news.eternal-september.org>,
David Dalton <dal...@nfld.com> wrote:

>I seem to recall that the peak in the total surface area
>of sunspots happens after the peak in sunspot number,
>so occurs on the right flank of the sunspot number plot.
>Is that the case?

There are data files that might be useful linked from

https://solarscience.msfc.nasa.gov/greenwch.shtml

-- Richard

a a

Nov 6, 2022, 10:33:12 AM11/6/22
Thank you Richard

But frankly speaking I am not interested in monthly averages.

I am not interested in 10 different formats.

I am interested in daily images of solar disc, showing sunspots
to let me calculate raw number of sunspots
and have this number verified against number of sunspots index, published by 10+ astronomy agencies.

Since there is no match: naked eye count of sunspots : 5
vs.
officially published number of sunspots: 50

we need to verify the sunspot counting procedures world-wide.

I am not interested txt file formats
since what matters of image file of solar disc, appended by number of sunspots, which should be appended
to the name of the file: sunspot_date_numberofsunspots

Can you help ?

I can read another 1,000+ pages to learn the answer
why the sunspot number announced fails to match naked eye observations of the solar disc

https://astronomy.stackexchange.com/questions/50939/how-a-sunspot-number-is-calculated-by-an-individual-observer?noredirect=1#comment113773_50939

=====

0000

00000

-------

" Royal Observatory, Greenwich - USAF/NOAA Sunspot Data

(Funding for this database terminated in FY2005 and apparently will never be restored - We will continue to update if possible.) Last update 2017/03/23

Please note: Dr. David Hathaway, a member of the MSFC solar physics group for 29 years, transferred (7/9/2014) to NASA's Ames Research Center in California, where he retired in December, 2016. Dr. Hathaway's new email address is dave.hathaway @ comcast.net.

"Also, Giuliana de Toma noted that the corrected and uncorrected whole spot areas were in disagreement starting in 1982. Starting in 1982 the corrected areas were the primary data and the uncorrected areas were calculated using the sunspot group distance from disk center. These values are now properly calculated.

"Sunspots appear as dark spots on the surface of the Sun. They typically last for several days, although very large ones may live for several weeks. Sunspots are magnetic regions on the Sun with magnetic field strengths thousands of times stronger than the Earth's magnetic field. Sunspots usually come in groups with two sets of spots. One set will have positive or north magnetic field while the other set will have negative or south magnetic field. The field is strongest in the darker parts of the sunspots - the umbra. The field is weaker and more horizontal in the lighter part - the penumbra.

"The entire dataset is available below as ASCII text files containing records for individual years. Each file consists of records with information on individual sunspot groups for each day that spots were observed.

"Text files containing the monthly averages of the daily sunspot areas (again in units of millionths of a hemisphere) are also available for the full sun, the northern hemisphere, and the southern hemisphere.

===
https://astronomy.stackexchange.com/questions/50939/how-a-sunspot-number-is-calculated-by-an-individual-observer?noredirect=1#comment113773_50939

Richard Tobin

Nov 6, 2022, 7:00:02 PM11/6/22
In article <d12c27cc-fb2b-45eb...@googlegroups.com>,
a a <mant...@gmail.com> wrote:
>But frankly speaking I am not interested in monthly averages.
>I am not interested in 10 different formats.
>I am interested in daily images of solar disc, showing sunspots
>I am not interested txt file formats
>
>Can you help ?

Guess not.

-- Richard

a a

Nov 6, 2022, 7:08:48 PM11/6/22
Richard,
do you have anything in common with the count of sunspots ?

"Last update 2017/03/23

Please note: Dr. David Hathaway, a member of the MSFC solar physics group for 29 years, transferred (7/9/2014) to NASA's Ames Research Center in California, where he retired in December, 2016. Dr. Hathaway's new email address is dave.hathaway @ comcast.net.

so
https://solarscience.msfc.nasa.gov/greenwch.shtml
is past history in sunspots