Euthanasia?

hermeneutika

Nov 24, 2022, 2:13:47 PM11/24/22
I read a article in todays Guardian newspaper about a woman who filmed her fathers death.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/nov/24/ondi-timoner-last-flight-home-assisted-dying

I understand that the Roman Catholics may regard suicide as a sin, ie murder,self murder. Are there any other views?

Kendall K. Down

Nov 24, 2022, 2:39:32 PM11/24/22
On 24/11/2022 09:40, hermeneutika wrote:

> I read a article in todays Guardian newspaper about a woman who filmed her fathers death.

I have sympathy for those who assist someone to die, but am adamant that
they should be called to account and face trial. I would also recommend
that if the case deserves it, a suspended sentence should be imposed or
even no sentence at all. But there must always be the certainty of
investigation and punishment if the euthanasia was not justified.

God bless,
Kendall K. Down

Timreason

Nov 24, 2022, 3:19:31 PM11/24/22
On 24/11/2022 09:40, hermeneutika wrote:
Personally, I do not believe I have a right to take my own life (let's
be very clear at this point, I am NOT considering such a thing). My
reasoning is that God has placed me here for whatever reason, and I
would have no right therefore, to cut short the life that God has given
me. I don't know what plans He has for me in the future, but ultimately
I trust in Him.

Sadly, some people end their own lives during times when they are
mentally unwell, and that is extremely distressing, especially for their
family and friends.

That said, this whole question of 'Assisted dying' is a very difficult
one, with huge risks associated with it. Most of us can probably imagine
what it might be like to be in constant agony with no prospect of any
respite or recovery. Would we want to go on like that, perhaps for
months or even years? When all human dignity has gone and life offers no
positives whatever.

So yes, I think there has to be a trial after any such 'Assisted dying'
action, and if appropriate, lenient sentences could be given depending
on circumstances. But we must avoid allowing the unscrupulous to go
'bumping off' granny so that they can inherit her home and savings
before they're all spent on Social Care.

Tim.

Kendall K. Down

Nov 25, 2022, 2:49:32 AM11/25/22
On 24/11/2022 20:10, Timreason wrote:

> Personally, I do not believe I have a right to take my own life (let's
> be very clear at this point, I am NOT considering such a thing). My
> reasoning is that God has placed me here for whatever reason, and I
> would have no right therefore, to cut short the life that God has given
> me. I don't know what plans He has for me in the future, but ultimately
> I trust in Him.

I completely agree with this - and, of course, one has even less right
to take another's life. I still have sympathy for those who are
suffering terrible pain (or worse still, have to watch a loved one
suffer such pain) and who feel driven to do what you and I believe to be
wrong.

> That said, this whole question of 'Assisted dying' is a very difficult
> one, with huge risks associated with it. Most of us can probably imagine
> what it might be like to be in constant agony with no prospect of any
> respite or recovery. Would we want to go on like that, perhaps for
> months or even years? When all human dignity has gone and life offers no
> positives whatever.

I can see that your question is valid for the atheist. I would hope that
a Christian would be able to adopt the position you express in your
first paragraph.

> So yes, I think there has to be a trial after any such 'Assisted dying'
> action, and if appropriate, lenient sentences could be given depending
> on circumstances. But we must avoid allowing the unscrupulous to go
> 'bumping off' granny so that they can inherit her home and savings
> before they're all spent on Social Care.

Exactly.

And, of course, the same thing should apply to doctors who indulge in
"mercy killing" - which is far more frequent than we might like to imagine.