Silent witness

Jason

Dec 5, 2021, 2:55:45 PM12/5/21
There was a thread recently here pertaining to the use of church
buildings and the like in a 'secular' context for community meetings and
so on, and what might be done to maximise Christian witness on such
occasions.

I recently saw a touring art installation in Durham Cathedral, consisting
of a very large illuminated high-resolution moon suspended below the
tower:

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/gallery/pictures-
museum-moon-lands-durham-21555307

One of the simple things they did which I think worked very well was how
they announced the various daily services and invited everyone present to
the side chapels to attend them. The service was then broadcast
throughout the cathedral via the PA system. Many people were simply sat
peppered around the nave, staring at the moon and listening to the word
of God, it was quite magical.

Kendall K. Down

Dec 5, 2021, 3:10:07 PM12/5/21
On 05/12/2021 12:56, Jason wrote:

> I recently saw a touring art installation in Durham Cathedral, consisting
> of a very large illuminated high-resolution moon suspended below the
> tower:

Yes, I saw something in the newspaper about that and wished that we
lived close enough to visit.

> One of the simple things they did which I think worked very well was how
> they announced the various daily services and invited everyone present to
> the side chapels to attend them. The service was then broadcast
> throughout the cathedral via the PA system. Many people were simply sat
> peppered around the nave, staring at the moon and listening to the word
> of God, it was quite magical.

Excellent. It's good to remind people that a cathedral exists primarily
for the worship of God.

God bless,
Kendall K. Down