The Emperor Theologian

Kendall K. Down

Mar 6, 2023, 2:46:16 AM3/6/23
Eusebius' "Life of Constantine" preserves one of the emperor's homilies,
which he was apparently fond of addressing to a captive (and applauding)
audience of courtiers. In this one Constantine says:

"But since the world and all things that it contains exist, and are
preserved,[371] their preserver must have had a prior existence; so that
Christ is the cause of preservation, and the preservation of things is
an effect: even as the Father is the cause of the Son, and the Son the
effect of that cause."

I'm not sure about the theology of the analogy, but I thought the
translator's note was interesting:

"371 Preserved, preserver, and preservation = saved, saviour, and
salvation. This represents the N.T. idea better than the popular
conception which confuses Christ our Saviour with Christ our Redeemer.
Redemption was a necessary part of His effort for our salvation, but
the salvation itself was a saving, in literal English preserving. We
have been redeemed; we are being saved."

I like the idea.

God bless,
Kendall K. Down

John

Mar 6, 2023, 4:26:14 AM3/6/23
So at one point are you actually saved? I thought that was at the point
you become child of God, certanly Paul and John put it that way.

Kendall K. Down

Mar 6, 2023, 2:26:17 PM3/6/23
On 06/03/2023 09:24, John wrote:

> So at one point are you actually saved? I thought that was at the point
> you become child of God, certanly Paul and John put it that way.

I presume you are saved when you reach heaven.

The analogy, I suppose, is of someone taken captive by the barbarians. A
wealthy or powerful individual negotiates and pays the ransom demanded,
but although you have been ransomed from the moment the money is handed
over, you are not saved until you are actually delivered to the Limes
and released back into the Roman empire.

John

Mar 6, 2023, 6:16:17 PM3/6/23
So unless you choose to walk away, your salvation is guaranteed, yes?

Kendall K. Down

Mar 7, 2023, 4:16:19 PM3/7/23
On 06/03/2023 23:10, John wrote:

> So unless you choose to walk away, your salvation is guaranteed, yes?

I would say so, yes - but of course, I'm not the Emperor Constantine.