Institutionally sexist

Kendall K. Down

Apr 20, 2022, 3:49:56 PM4/20/22
There's an interesting report in today's Daily Mail, which quotes a
French study into the effects of banning Islamic veils in schools. There
were two effects: in the first place, when girls were no longer hampered
by bags over their heads, they got better grades! The second effect was
that they were more likely to marry a non-Muslim.

The first effect may be due to a number of factors; students suffered
less stigmatisation and discrimination, they were more able to see what
they were doing, and they had increased self-confidence when they were
no longer hidden behind the veil.

The second is an interesting one: is is that the girls were more open to
marrying non-Muslims, or is it that non-Muslims were more interested in
marrying the girls now that they weren't just shapeless "letter boxes"?
Whichever it is, the fact remains that banning the veil resulted in
improved social integration.

I can have sympathy for Muslims who see the second result as
undesirable; I have no sympathy at all for those who would keep women
ignorant and subservient. Perhaps if Muslims started to treat women
decently they would be less inclined to marry non-Muslims?

God bless,
Kendall K. Down

Mike Davis

Apr 21, 2022, 7:29:57 AM4/21/22
There's another hypothesis; girls who wear veils come from very strict
families who may not have the same openness to Western education.

I had a devout Muslim working for me a few years ago (no, she didn't
wear a veil), she had a PhD in biology and had worked for Astra-Zenica.
I asked her how she reconciled her study of evolution with the Quran.
She just said she kept them in separate boxes!

So I'd hypothesise that the strictest families (ie veil-wearing girls)
may experience the greatest intellectual conflict between school & home,
with resulting tensions diminishing their results.

Mike
--
Mike Davis

Kendall K. Down

Apr 21, 2022, 3:39:56 PM4/21/22
On 21/04/2022 12:29, Mike Davis wrote:

> There's another hypothesis; girls who wear veils come from very strict
> families who may not have the same openness to Western education.

No, because if that were the case, forcing the girl to remove her veil
would merely increase antipathy to western education and, presumably,
make good results less likely.

> I had a devout Muslim working for me a few years ago (no, she didn't
> wear a veil), she had a PhD in biology and had worked for Astra-Zenica.
> I asked her how she reconciled her study of evolution with the Quran.
> She just said she kept them in separate boxes!

Very sensible. I do much the same, though I hope I do keep examing both
sets of boxes to see where harmony might be possible.

> So I'd hypothesise that the strictest families (ie veil-wearing girls)
> may experience the greatest intellectual conflict between school & home,
> with resulting tensions diminishing their results.

Indeed, but as I point out above, forcibly removing the veil will not
lessen that conflict. Therefore the fact that removing the veil meant
that the girl achieved better results points to some other factor as
being responsible.