Easter Blessings

Kendall K. Down

Apr 14, 2022, 9:39:58 PM4/14/22
It's hard to know what to say at this time. "Happy Good Friday" seems
totally inappropriate, but you know what I mean. Today Christians around
the world remember the death of Jesus and give thanks for what that
death meant to us.

At the same time, we look beyond the tragedy to the triumph that is to
follow.

God bless,
Kendall K. Down

Mike Davis

Apr 16, 2022, 7:59:58 AM4/16/22
On 15/04/2022 02:29, Kendall K. Down wrote:
> It's hard to know what to say at this time. "Happy Good Friday" seems
> totally inappropriate, but you know what I mean. Today Christians around
> the world remember the death of Jesus and give thanks for what that
> death meant to us.

Indeed, I was wondering when is the 'best' time to send greetings! We
will be celebrating the Resurrection at 8:30pm tonight, then I can use
the 'A' word! ;-)

> At the same time, we look beyond the tragedy to the triumph that is to
> follow.

Of course! But it's Jesus' death that bore our sins.

All blessings to you and all who read this message.

Mike
--
Mike Davis

steve hague

Apr 16, 2022, 8:59:57 AM4/16/22
Easter Saturday is a tad strange. We're told in horrendous detail about
what happened on Good Friday, we receive the glorious good news on
Sunday, but all we're told about Saturday is that it was the sabbath, so
everyone rested. It's a sort of hiatus day, but we have the privelege of
knowing what was to come. His disciples and other followers just had
their despair. Jesus had told them on more than one occasion that he
would be killed and then would rise again. He even told them when.
Perhaps they thought He was speaking allegorically, or in purely
spiritual terms. It's clear they weren't expecting to see the
resurrected Jesus in bodily form, which I think is why He wasn't
initially recognised, being mistaken for a gardener and then a fellow
traveller on the road to Emmaus. Personally I wouldn't be keen on a fish
barbecue for breakfast (John 21:9-13) but if it was Him serving it, I'd
be back for seconds. Even Ken would have to examine his vegetarian
principles at this point, since Jesus wasn't offering steamed seaweed as
an alternative far as we know.😊
Steve Hague

Stuart

Apr 16, 2022, 12:09:58 PM4/16/22
In article <t3eeim$1abh$1...@gioia.aioe.org>,
steve hague <steveh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Personally I wouldn't be keen on a fish
> barbecue for breakfast (John 21:9-13)

Kippers for breakfast used to be common at one time though it's porage for
me.

> but if it was Him serving it, I'd be back for seconds. Even Ken would
> have to examine his vegetarian principles at this point, since Jesus
> wasn't offering steamed seaweed as an alternative far as we know.#

:-)

--
Stuart Winsor

Tools With A Mission
sending tools across the world
http://www.twam.co.uk/

Kendall K. Down

Apr 16, 2022, 3:49:57 PM4/16/22
On 16/04/2022 12:58, Mike Davis wrote:

> Indeed, I was wondering when is the 'best' time to send greetings! We
> will be celebrating the Resurrection at 8:30pm tonight, then I can use
> the 'A' word!  ;-)

Tut tut. It is verboten before dawn tomorrow.

> Of course!  But it's Jesus' death that bore our sins.

Very true - but without the Resurrection, that sacrifice would have been
fairly meaningless. It's a package - death+resurrection=salvation.

> All blessings to you and all who read this message.

Amen.

God bless,
Kendall K. down

Kendall K. Down

Apr 16, 2022, 3:49:58 PM4/16/22
On 16/04/2022 13:59, steve hague wrote:

> Easter Saturday is a tad strange. We're told in horrendous detail about
> what happened on Good Friday, we receive the glorious good news on
> Sunday, but all we're told about Saturday is that it was the sabbath, so
> everyone rested.

Including, of course, Jesus. He rested in the tomb; just as He rested
when the work of creation was finished, so He rested when the work of
salvation was finished.

Of course, if you believe the mediaeval church, He was very busy on that
day "harrowing hell". It would not surprise me if there was more to the
Sabbath rest than mere resting. Perhaps time was needed for news of His
death to reach out into the universe and be confirmed everywhere - after
which, of course, the devil had no more credibility and was thrown
finally and definitively out of heaven.

It will be fun to find out when we get up there.

> Personally I wouldn't be keen on a fish
> barbecue for breakfast (John 21:9-13) but if it was Him serving it, I'd
> be back for seconds. Even Ken would have to examine his vegetarian
> principles at this point, since Jesus wasn't offering steamed seaweed as
> an alternative far as we know.😊

I am pretty sure that if I lived back then I would not be a vegetarian.
There was less pollution, less animal disease, no intensive farming with
injected hormones or antibiotics, so meat was a more acceptable food.
There was also less variety of plant food available - no Chinese soya
beans or African ground nuts to supply protein - so meat was a more
necessary food.

Kendall K. Down

Apr 16, 2022, 3:49:59 PM4/16/22
On 16/04/2022 17:07, Stuart wrote:

> Kippers for breakfast used to be common at one time though it's porage for
> me.

Is that a misspelling of "forage" or "porridge"?

Stuart

Apr 16, 2022, 4:19:56 PM4/16/22
In article <t3f6ht$fvm$2...@dont-email.me>,
Kendall K. Down <kendal...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 16/04/2022 17:07, Stuart wrote:

> > Kippers for breakfast used to be common at one time though it's porage for
> > me.

> Is that a misspelling of "forage" or "porridge"?

It is a recognised alternative spelling, look on any box of Scott's Porage
oats.

Mark Goodge

Apr 16, 2022, 4:29:58 PM4/16/22
On Sat, 16 Apr 2022 20:48:15 +0100, "Kendall K. Down"
<kendal...@googlemail.com> wrote:

>On 16/04/2022 17:07, Stuart wrote:
>
>> Kippers for breakfast used to be common at one time though it's porage for
>> me.
>
>Is that a misspelling of "forage" or "porridge"?

No; it's a variant spelling of porridge. In particular, it's the
spelling used by one well-known Scottish brand. I'm sure you've seen it
on the supermarket shelves, even if the spelling didn't register.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott's_Porage_Oats

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/308484197

Mark

Madhu

Apr 16, 2022, 7:19:57 PM4/16/22
* "Kendall K. Down" <t3f6fa$fvm$1...@dont-email.me> :
Wrote on Sat, 16 Apr 2022 20:46:52 +0100:
>> Personally I wouldn't be keen on a fish barbecue for breakfast (John
>> 21:9-13) but if it was Him serving it, I'd be back for seconds. Even
>> Ken would have to examine his vegetarian principles at this point,
>> since Jesus wasn't offering steamed seaweed as an alternative far as
>> we know.😊
>
> I am pretty sure that if I lived back then I would not be a
> vegetarian. There was less pollution, less animal disease, no
> intensive farming with injected hormones or antibiotics, so meat was a
> more acceptable food. There was also less variety of plant food
> available - no Chinese soya beans or African ground nuts to supply
> protein - so meat was a more necessary food.

The rabbis are likcing their lips and polishing for their forks for the
millennial feast - where they expect god to slaughter the (second)
leviathan, which is essenially seafood. I'm afraid I see myself in the
sad position of the wretched wedding guests: If invited I'd probably be
a no-show on account of the menu, on account of vegetarianism. So I can
readily appreciate this could be a salvation issue. (If heaven were
vegetarian it wouldn;t be a problem for me, but it might be for the
fish-eating population)

steve hague

Apr 17, 2022, 2:19:58 AM4/17/22

> Tut tut. It is verboten before dawn tomorrow.
>
>> Of course!  But it's Jesus' death that bore our sins.
>
> Very true - but without the Resurrection, that sacrifice would have been
> fairly meaningless. It's a package - death+resurrection=salvation.
>
>> All blessings to you and all who read this message.
>
> Amen.
>
> God bless,
> Kendall K. down

That's something I sometimes point out when I lead communion at our
church. Without Jesus' death, there could be no resurrection. Without
the resurrection, we might as well be jews or muslims. It's a strange
thing for us to do, we celebrate the death of a loved One, something it
must be difficult to understand for non- believers.
Steve Hague

Kendall K. Down

Apr 17, 2022, 3:49:57 PM4/17/22
On 17/04/2022 00:12, Madhu wrote:

> The rabbis are likcing their lips and polishing for their forks for the
> millennial feast - where they expect god to slaughter the (second)
> leviathan, which is essenially seafood. I'm afraid I see myself in the
> sad position of the wretched wedding guests: If invited I'd probably be
> a no-show on account of the menu, on account of vegetarianism. So I can
> readily appreciate this could be a salvation issue. (If heaven were
> vegetarian it wouldn;t be a problem for me, but it might be for the
> fish-eating population)

I think that is to make a god out of vegetarianism. If I get up there
and God tells me to eat some animal, I'll bow to His superior wisdom. I
don't think I will enjoy it, though, at least not at first.

Kendall K. Down

Apr 17, 2022, 3:49:57 PM4/17/22
On 16/04/2022 21:22, Mark Goodge wrote:

> No; it's a variant spelling of porridge.

No it isn't. See
https://www.alternatememories.com/historical-events/brands/scotts-porage-porridge
to discover the origins of the word.

Kendall K. Down

Apr 17, 2022, 3:49:57 PM4/17/22
On 16/04/2022 21:14, Stuart wrote:

> It is a recognised alternative spelling, look on any box of Scott's Porage
> oats.

I refer you to
https://www.alternatememories.com/historical-events/brands/scotts-porage-porridge

It is only "recognised" if you regard advertising as equal in authority
to the OED.

Kendall K. Down

Apr 17, 2022, 3:49:57 PM4/17/22
On 15/04/2022 02:29, Kendall K. Down wrote:

And now, of course, Easter Sunday has come (and nearly gone). I'm
surprised that no one has come out with the traditional "Christos
aneste" (or, if you prefer the Latin, "Christus surrexit".)

For the linguistically challenged, "Christ is Risen!"

Halellujah.

Mark Goodge

Apr 17, 2022, 5:19:56 PM4/17/22
On Sun, 17 Apr 2022 20:46:40 +0100, "Kendall K. Down"
<kendal...@googlemail.com> wrote:

>On 15/04/2022 02:29, Kendall K. Down wrote:
>
>And now, of course, Easter Sunday has come (and nearly gone). I'm
>surprised that no one has come out with the traditional "Christos
>aneste" (or, if you prefer the Latin, "Christus surrexit".)

Alithos anesti.

>For the linguistically challenged, "Christ is Risen!"

Indeed.

Mark

Kendall K. Down

Apr 18, 2022, 2:39:59 AM4/18/22