the vaccine

hermeneutika

Nov 13, 2022, 12:55:51 AM11/13/22
I was persuaded to take the vaccine multiple times on the basis that if nothing else it would prevent the transmission of the "virus" from myself to another, assuming that i had "covid19". I really didnt want to have it, but on the basis of my Biblical convictions, ie care for others i took it. Now i read the following article....i could have been duped...

https://www.tabletmag.com/sections/science/articles/vaccines-never-prevented-transmission-covid-alex-gutentag

any thoughts?

Kendall K. Down

Nov 13, 2022, 1:39:35 AM11/13/22
Everyone is getting terribly excited about the fact that one company did
not test whether its vaccine prevented transmission. I imagine the
company did not run double-blind experiments on whether the vaccine
turned your liver blue or purple or tartan, as well as a whole lot of
other questions that might conceivably be posed.

What they *did* test was a) whether the vaccine was safe; b) whether it
had a positive role in preventing the recipient getting covid. When the
answer to both those questions was positive, the vaccine was approved
for use.

If you accepted the vaccine *solely* on the basis that you were
protecting others, that is doubtless very noble and altruistic of you.
Whether it is sensible may be another question. Is your life worth
nothing? Is it right that the country should have to bear the cost if
you get sick or even worse, die? Does your family place a similar low
value on your life?

Incidentally, is this "The Tablet", which advertises itself as "A new
read on Jewish life", one of the recognised media or is it some kooky
rag that will publish anything just to get readers? The anti-vax stance
of Orthodox Jews is well-known; is the article you reference driven by
facts or by pandering to its readership?

God bless,
Kendall K. Down

Mike Davis

Nov 13, 2022, 11:49:34 AM11/13/22
Agreed!

> Incidentally, is this "The Tablet", which advertises itself as "A new
> read on Jewish life", one of the recognised media or is it some kooky
> rag that will publish anything just to get readers? The anti-vax stance
> of Orthodox Jews is well-known; is the article you reference driven by
> facts or by pandering to its readership?

Don't know what 'tabletmag' is, but "The Tablet" is a serious and
balanced Catholic weekly periodical for over 100years (I think), which I
would recommend.
https://www.thetablet.co.uk/

Mike
--
Mike Davis

steve hague

Nov 13, 2022, 12:39:35 PM11/13/22
On 13/11/2022 00:51, hermeneutika wrote:
It turned me into a newt. I got better.
Steve Hague

Mark Goodge

Nov 13, 2022, 1:49:35 PM11/13/22
The vaccines weren't tested for their effect on transmission because that's
not the primary purpose of a vaccine. The primary purpose of a vaccine is to
prevent you catching the infection, not to prevent you transmitting it if
you do still catch it. But, of course, preventing transmission is still a
secondary effect of vaccines, because if you don't catch it in the first
place, you can't give it to anyone else.

That said, some vaccines do have a stronger effect at preventing
transmission than others. And, as it turns out, the Covid vaccines do have
some effect on preventing transmission, although not as strong an effect as
preventing infection to begin with. So it is still useful in that respect,
although the primary reason for getting vaccinated is to minimise your own
risk of serious or fatal infection.

Mark

Kendall K. Down

Nov 13, 2022, 2:29:34 PM11/13/22
On 13/11/2022 16:45, Mike Davis wrote:

> Don't know what 'tabletmag' is, but "The Tablet" is a serious and
> balanced Catholic weekly periodical for over 100years (I think), which I
> would recommend.
> https://www.thetablet.co.uk/

That may be, but the URL hermeneutika sent was for something completely
different, of whose bona fides I am a bit dubious.

Kendall K. Down

Nov 13, 2022, 2:29:35 PM11/13/22
On 13/11/2022 18:42, Mark Goodge wrote:

> That said, some vaccines do have a stronger effect at preventing
> transmission than others. And, as it turns out, the Covid vaccines do have
> some effect on preventing transmission, although not as strong an effect as
> preventing infection to begin with. So it is still useful in that respect,
> although the primary reason for getting vaccinated is to minimise your own
> risk of serious or fatal infection.

And, of course, that is what they were tested for. Given that there were
time pressures in getting vaccines out into use as quickly as possible,
they did not test for the effect on transmission. Anti-vaxxers are
trying to turn that omission into a coram rege case and I have had some
telling me that "the people responsible should be tried and punished as
mass murderers!"

The person I quote above is otherwise a very nice and - hitherto -
intelligent and sensible person. There is something about the covid
vaccine that turns people like her into raving nutters. If there was a
vaccine against that, I think it should be made compulsory.

Stuart

Nov 13, 2022, 3:09:35 PM11/13/22
In article <jtcl8d...@mid.individual.net>,
Mike Davis <mjd...@trustsof.co.uk> wrote:

> Don't know what 'tabletmag' is, but "The Tablet" is a serious and
> balanced Catholic weekly periodical for over 100years (I think), which I
> would recommend.
> https://www.thetablet.co.uk/

Different animal altogether.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tablet_(magazine)

--
Stuart Winsor

Tools With A Mission
sending tools across the world
http://www.twam.co.uk/

Kendall K. Down

Nov 13, 2022, 10:29:34 PM11/13/22
On 13/11/2022 17:31, Stuart wrote:

> Different animal altogether.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tablet_(magazine)

Which isn't terribly complimentary and even seems to imply that the
magazine is anti-semitic!

Stuart

Nov 14, 2022, 11:49:31 AM11/14/22
In article <tksca8$1m5et$1...@dont-email.me>,
Kendall K. Down <kendal...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Different animal altogether.
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tablet_(magazine)

> Which isn't terribly complimentary and even seems to imply that the
> magazine is anti-semitic!

Indeed!