Christmas muzak

steve hague

Nov 30, 2021, 8:10:07 AM11/30/21
I'm not a fan. I believe Roy Wood and Noddy Holder to be in league with
the devil. However, during my browsings on youtube, I discovered this
gem. A cheesy christmas song written in 1940 given a makeover which
would have blown my socks off, had I been wearing any.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l1CS0Jhk90&list=RD5l1CS0Jhk90&start_radio=1

John

Nov 30, 2021, 8:30:07 AM11/30/21
This is my absolute favourite version, which I discovered a couple of
years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EaAmXwituc

Kendall K. Down

Nov 30, 2021, 4:30:09 PM11/30/21
On 30/11/2021 13:01, steve hague wrote:

Hmmmm. How to ruin a perfectly good carol.

God bless,
Kendall K. Down

Kendall K. Down

Nov 30, 2021, 4:40:07 PM11/30/21
On 30/11/2021 13:25, John wrote:

> This is my absolute favourite version, which I discovered a couple of
> years ago
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EaAmXwituc

Much better - much more in accord with the spirit of Christmas.

Kendall K. Down

Nov 30, 2021, 4:50:07 PM11/30/21
On 30/11/2021 21:33, Kendall K. Down wrote:

>> This is my absolute favourite version, which I discovered a couple of
>> years ago
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EaAmXwituc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4CcIK4RZ3s

Interesting.

Jason

Nov 30, 2021, 11:41:29 PM11/30/21
I love both of these versions, thanks for posting them. It's a great
song, always good to hear a different version. If we're all posting a
version, I've a liking for this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ_MGWio-vc

Kendall K. Down

Dec 1, 2021, 12:00:08 AM12/1/21
On 30/11/2021 21:54, Jason wrote:

> I love both of these versions, thanks for posting them. It's a great
> song, always good to hear a different version. If we're all posting a
> version, I've a liking for this one:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ_MGWio-vc

Yes, I've seen it before - the drum is provided by "mouth music".

John

Dec 1, 2021, 3:20:06 AM12/1/21
On 30/11/2021 21:54, Jason wrote:
Even before I clicked on the link I had a feeling who it was going to
be. I absolutely love this version, and I am a big fan of theirs.
Their version of Hallelujah is also excellent.

Actually, now I've heard this again, I think this version is better than
Gentri's. A really interesting arrangement and the lady's vocals richly
enhance it.

steve hague

Dec 1, 2021, 4:30:09 AM12/1/21
You'll be telling me next that you didn't like Bellowhead😁.

John

Dec 1, 2021, 5:20:06 AM12/1/21
Well, when he turns his nose up at the delightful voice of Kelsey Grimm,
you had absolutely no chance!!

On a serious note it's great that we all have different musical tastes.
Me, I love a good cheesy pop single or an easy listening ballad, but I
can't stand heavy rock or heavy metal. There is some rock I can listen
to though(Queen, ELO and Meat Loaf spring to mind). I'm also not a big
fan of classical music or opera.

steve hague

Dec 1, 2021, 7:50:07 AM12/1/21
My tastes in music are broad, ranging from classical, traditional folk,
roots, jazz to heavy rock, and singer/ songwriters of various genres. I
can't be doing with country and western or rap though. At the top of my
list for Christian musicians would be Godfrey Birtle and Brynn Haworth.
Opera doesn't appeal either, but I recognise excellence even it isn't to
my taste.
Steve Hague

Kendall K. Down

Dec 1, 2021, 4:20:08 PM12/1/21
On 01/12/2021 09:29, steve hague wrote:

> You'll be telling me next that you didn't like Bellowhead😁.

No idea who this person is, but the name prejudices me against him/she/it.

Kendall K. Down

Dec 1, 2021, 4:20:09 PM12/1/21
On 01/12/2021 10:13, John wrote:

> On a serious note it's great that we all have different musical tastes.
> Me, I love a good cheesy pop single or an easy listening ballad, but I
> can't stand heavy rock or heavy metal. There is some rock I can listen
> to though(Queen, ELO and Meat Loaf spring to mind). I'm also not a big
> fan of classical music or opera.

Quite so, which is why God allows so many different churches with
differing worship styles.

I wonder how we are going to get on up in heaven? Will the holy rollers
and the high church Anglican be on opposite sides of the Throne?

Madhu

Dec 1, 2021, 8:40:07 PM12/1/21
* "Kendall K. Down" <so8ol2$5gi$3...@dont-email.me> :
Wrote on Wed, 1 Dec 2021 21:15:16 +0000:

> On 01/12/2021 09:29, steve hague wrote:
>
>> You'll be telling me next that you didn't like Bellowhead
> No idea who this person is, but the name prejudices me against him/she/it.

I thought it might have been one of the candidates who contested againt
boris johnson in his constituency but it turns out to be an "English
contemporary folk band" 2004-2016

Madhu

Dec 1, 2021, 8:50:07 PM12/1/21

* "Kendall K. Down" <so8ons$5gi$4...@dont-email.me> :
Wrote on Wed, 1 Dec 2021 21:16:45 +0000:

> I wonder how we are going to get on up in heaven? Will the holy
> rollers and the high church Anglican be on opposite sides of the
> Throne?

I hope people here won't find this joke offensive. By way of fortune.

%
There are two jazz musicians who are great buddies. They hang out and play
together for years, virtually inseparable. Unfortunately, one of them is
struck by a truck and killed. About a week later his friend wakes up in
the middle of the night with a start because he can feel a presence in the
room. He calls out, "Who's there? Who's there? What's going on?"
"It's me -- Bob," replies a faraway voice.
Excitedly he sits up in bed. "Bob! Bob! Is that you? Where are
you?"
"Well," says the voice, "I'm in heaven now."
"Heaven! You're in heaven! That's wonderful! What's it like?"
"It's great, man. I gotta tell you, I'm jamming up here every day.
I'm playing with Bird, and 'Trane, and Count Basie drops in all the time!
Man it is smokin'!"
"Oh, wow!" says his friend. "That sounds fantastic, tell me more,
tell me more!"
"Let me put it this way," continues the voice. "There's good news
and bad news. The good news is that these guys are in top form. I mean
I have *never* heard them sound better. They are *wailing* up here."
"The bad news is that God has this girlfriend that sings..."
%

Kendall K. Down

Dec 2, 2021, 2:40:08 AM12/2/21
On 02/12/2021 01:38, Madhu wrote:

> I thought it might have been one of the candidates who contested againt
> boris johnson in his constituency but it turns out to be an "English
> contemporary folk band" 2004-2016

Contemporary folk means modern music sung by people wearing shabby
clothes and putting their fingers in their ears.

If it ain't "Ilkley Moor baht tat" it ain't folk.

Kendall K. Down

Dec 2, 2021, 2:40:09 AM12/2/21
On 02/12/2021 01:41, Madhu wrote:

> "The bad news is that God has this girlfriend that sings..."

I presume the implication is that she can't really sing?

John

Dec 2, 2021, 5:30:07 AM12/2/21
On 02/12/2021 01:41, Madhu wrote:

I though the punchline was going to be "you're in the band on Saturday
night"

Mark Goodge

Dec 2, 2021, 5:30:07 AM12/2/21
On Thu, 2 Dec 2021 07:33:57 +0000, "Kendall K. Down"
<kendal...@googlemail.com> wrote:

>On 02/12/2021 01:41, Madhu wrote:
>
>> "The bad news is that God has this girlfriend that sings..."
>
>I presume the implication is that she can't really sing?

Yes; it's a riff on a common complaint by musicians that they are
required to perform with someone whose talents are significantly below
par but are, nonetheless, in the band because of their relationship with
the manager, band leader or someone else with control over the band.

For a real life example, see the professional relationship between Linda
McCartney and other members (apart from her husband) of the band Wings.

Mark

steve hague

Dec 2, 2021, 9:40:07 AM12/2/21
Sorry Ken, I was teasing a little. I was pretty sure that you would have
a) Never heard of them.
b) Wouldn't have listened to them if you'd heard of them.
c) Wouldn't have liked them if you'd listened to them.

They were an eleven piece 'traditional' English folk band, featuring
instruments as diverse as violin, cello, mandolin, accordian and
euphonium. A very enjoyable live act.
Steve Hague

steve hague

Dec 2, 2021, 9:50:08 AM12/2/21
😂

steve hague

Dec 2, 2021, 9:50:09 AM12/2/21
Compared to Yoko, Linda was seriously talented.

steve hague

Dec 2, 2021, 9:50:10 AM12/2/21
I take it you don't get to folk clubs very often Ken.

Kendall K. Down

Dec 2, 2021, 3:50:08 PM12/2/21
On 02/12/2021 10:25, Mark Goodge wrote:

> For a real life example, see the professional relationship between Linda
> McCartney and other members (apart from her husband) of the band Wings.

You mean, she did more than make vegetarian sausages?

Kendall K. Down

Dec 2, 2021, 3:50:09 PM12/2/21
On 02/12/2021 14:44, steve hague wrote:

> I take it you don't get to folk clubs very often Ken.

Never been to one in my life, but I do watch a certain amount of "folk"
on YouTube. I still hold that genuine "folk" music is not modern. "I've
got a brand new combine harvester" is *not* folk music.

Kendall K. Down

Dec 2, 2021, 3:50:10 PM12/2/21
On 02/12/2021 14:35, steve hague wrote:

> Sorry Ken, I was teasing a little. I was pretty sure that you would have
> a) Never heard of them.
> b) Wouldn't have listened to them if you'd heard of them.
> c) Wouldn't have liked them if you'd listened to them.

You might be surprised how eclectic my tastes are!

> They were an eleven piece 'traditional' English folk band, featuring
> instruments as diverse as violin, cello, mandolin, accordian and
> euphonium. A very enjoyable live act.

I'm sure - but if they were anything like The Harvesters, the correct
category is "rural pop", not "folk".

steve hague

Dec 3, 2021, 2:10:07 AM12/3/21
They were nothing like The Harvesters.

Kendall K. Down

Dec 3, 2021, 2:50:04 AM12/3/21
On 03/12/2021 07:05, steve hague wrote:

> They were nothing like The Harvesters.

A shame. I liked The Harvesters.

Kendall K. Down

Dec 3, 2021, 2:50:07 AM12/3/21
On 03/12/2021 07:05, steve hague wrote:

> They were nothing like The Harvesters.

I've just listened to one piece on YouTube (Roll Alabama). Quite nice -
but definitely not folk.

steve hague

Dec 4, 2021, 1:50:07 AM12/4/21
Agreed, but how would you define folk? Bob Dylan was initially regarded
as a folk singer, although he wrote his own songs, admittedly with the
help of some traditional tunes. Sydney Carter wrote songs based on
traditional tunes, you might enjoy 'Crow on the Cradle', by Show of
Hands. Lord of the Dance had the same tune as an earlier Shaker song,
which in itself was based on a traditional tune. Bellowhead were a
folkish band.

Jason

Dec 4, 2021, 2:21:19 PM12/4/21
On Thu, 02 Dec 2021 07:33:25 +0000, Kendall K. Down wrote:

> If it ain't "Ilkley Moor baht tat" it ain't folk.

The best version of "While Shepherds Watched their Flocks by Night" uses
that tune :-)

Kendall K. Down

Dec 4, 2021, 2:40:09 PM12/4/21
On 04/12/2021 19:17, Jason wrote:

>> If it ain't "Ilkley Moor baht tat" it ain't folk.

> The best version of "While Shepherds Watched their Flocks by Night" uses
> that tune :-)

The year before pandemic we went up to visit my son near Newcastle and
attended the carol service in the local parish church. They sang that
carol to that tune. Interesting, but not my favourite by a very long way.

Kendall K. Down

Dec 4, 2021, 2:40:10 PM12/4/21
On 04/12/2021 06:43, steve hague wrote:

> Bellowhead were a folkish band.

I might accept that - bue what defines "folkish"? Their choice of
instruments? Their dress? Singing nasally and with their fingers in
their ears?

steve hague

Dec 5, 2021, 1:30:08 AM12/5/21
As someone who used to frequent folk clubs and indeed was paid actual
money to perform on occasion, I can't say I ever saw anyone stick their
finger in their ear, although sometimes a person singing unaccompanied
would put their hand over one ear when finding the right pitch. I'm not
sure how that helped, and it would have been quite a feat whilst playing
guitar.

Kendall K. Down

Dec 5, 2021, 3:40:08 AM12/5/21
On 05/12/2021 06:27, steve hague wrote:

> As someone who used to frequent folk clubs and indeed was paid actual
> money to perform on occasion, I can't say I ever saw anyone stick their
> finger in their ear, although sometimes a person singing unaccompanied
> would put their hand over one ear when finding the right pitch. I'm not
> sure how that helped, and it would have been quite a feat whilst playing
> guitar.

He he! And surely, if they were trying to find the right pitch, they
need to *uncover* their ears?