Vive la difference

Kendall K. Down

Feb 20, 2024, 1:28:25 AMFeb 20
"Proof men and women really are 'wired differently': Brain scans show
differences in regions responsible for daydreaming, memory and decision
making, study finds. A new AI model trained to tell the difference
between men's and women's brains can correctly classify a person's sex
from their brain scan more than 90 percent of the time, Stanford
scientists said."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-13101509/men-women-brains-really-different.html

So much for those who "self-identify" and claim that they really are the
opposite sex.

God bless,
Kendall K. Down

www.avg.com

Mark Goodge

Feb 20, 2024, 8:28:21 AMFeb 20
On Tue, 20 Feb 2024 06:25:58 +0000, "Kendall K. Down"
<kendal...@googlemail.com> wrote:

>"Proof men and women really are 'wired differently': Brain scans show
>differences in regions responsible for daydreaming, memory and decision
>making, study finds. A new AI model trained to tell the difference
>between men's and women's brains can correctly classify a person's sex
>from their brain scan more than 90 percent of the time, Stanford
>scientists said."
>
>https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-13101509/men-women-brains-really-different.html
>
>So much for those who "self-identify" and claim that they really are the
>opposite sex.

It's entirely possible, of course, that the 10% it can't accurately classify
are precisely those most likely to suffer from gender dysphoria and hence
wish to identify differently.

Mark

Kendall K. Down

Feb 21, 2024, 1:48:23 AMFeb 21
On 20/02/2024 13:20, Mark Goodge wrote:

> It's entirely possible, of course, that the 10% it can't accurately classify
> are precisely those most likely to suffer from gender dysphoria and hence
> wish to identify differently.

In which case I would expect the researchers to have mentioned that
point. Think how joyfully their research would have been accepted and
promoted if what you suggest was true!

GB

Feb 21, 2024, 3:38:23 PMFeb 21
On 21/02/2024 06:38, Kendall K. Down wrote:
> On 20/02/2024 13:20, Mark Goodge wrote:
>
>> It's entirely possible, of course, that the 10% it can't accurately
>> classify
>> are precisely those most likely to suffer from gender dysphoria and hence
>> wish to identify differently.
>
> In which case I would expect the researchers to have mentioned that
> point.

I haven't read their paper - it's behind a paywall, and I'm not going to
pay to read it, nor do I expect you to. So, I don't know what the
inclusion/exclusion criteria were for the people the researchers
studied. They may well have excluded people who were 'complicated'.

But, that's beside the point. Trans people have the 'wrong' sexual
organs, so of course they have the 'wrong' gross brain structures too.
That doesn't mean their feelings are not genuine. It just shows that
whatever differences apply don't show up on an MRI.

Mark Goodge

Feb 22, 2024, 7:48:19 AMFeb 22
On Wed, 21 Feb 2024 06:38:57 +0000, "Kendall K. Down"
<kendal...@googlemail.com> wrote:

>On 20/02/2024 13:20, Mark Goodge wrote:
>
>> It's entirely possible, of course, that the 10% it can't accurately classify
>> are precisely those most likely to suffer from gender dysphoria and hence
>> wish to identify differently.
>
>In which case I would expect the researchers to have mentioned that
>point. Think how joyfully their research would have been accepted and
>promoted if what you suggest was true!

Have you actually read the research paper itself, or just a media report of
it?

Mark