climate change?

hermeneutika

Oct 28, 2021, 2:21:17 PM10/28/21
So Extinction Rebellion is at it again.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/10/28/extinction-rebellion-protesters-break-uks-biggest-oil-refinery/

If i subscribe to the Biblical worldview......do i have any opinions on this trivial matter? I have only heard one sermon on this subject in 40 years of searching Christianity. Pollute and be dammed? Maybe there is no such thing as climate change anyway? Or mybe there is? How is one to access the evidence? Science seems divided on the issue.

The one sermon i heard was based on Genesis

Ge 8:22 While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.

This preacher's argument was that in this verse , we are promised by God Himself in His Word, that while the earth remains, seedtime and harvest etc will not cease.
The preacher therefore concluded that whatever man may do to this planetwe have the promise of the regularity of the seasons etc.

Also i once saw a joke in a newspaper, where the Archangel Gabriel was talking to God, And the AA was pointing to the planet earth covered in smoke and pollution and said " I hope you made that place(earth) idiot proof!!"
I am sure He did. What does the panel think??

Kendall K. Down

Oct 28, 2021, 2:40:07 PM10/28/21
On 28/10/2021 13:31, hermeneutika wrote:

> This preacher's argument was that in this verse , we are promised by God Himself in His Word, that while the earth remains, seedtime and harvest etc will not cease.
> The preacher therefore concluded that whatever man may do to this planetwe have the promise of the regularity of the seasons etc.

He was a nutter.

There have been plenty of occasions when "seedtime and harvest" have
failed - drought, flood, volcanic eruptions, whatever. The earth will
continue to orbit around the sun and therefore the seasons will
continue, but a summer that is 65°C will likely be very different from
one that is 28°C and the harvest may not be sufficient for our present
population!

> I am sure He did. What does the panel think??

Revelation 11:18 is not without significance: "And the nations were
angry, and thy wrath is come, and the time of the dead, that they should
be judged, and that thou shouldest give reward unto thy servants the
prophets, and to the saints, and them that fear thy name, small and
great; and shouldest destroy them which destroy the earth."

God bless,
Kendall K. Down

Jason

Oct 31, 2021, 4:23:36 PM10/31/21
On Thu, 28 Oct 2021 05:31:43 -0700, hermeneutika wrote:

> So Extinction Rebellion is at it again.
>
> https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/10/28/extinction-rebellion-
protesters-break-uks-biggest-oil-refinery/

> If i subscribe to the Biblical worldview......do i have any opinions on
> this trivial matter? I have only heard one sermon on this subject in 40
> years of searching Christianity. Pollute and be dammed? Maybe there is
> no such thing as climate change anyway? Or mybe there is? How is one to
> access the evidence? Science seems divided on the issue.

Perhaps it's a matter of differences in church style, but I have heard
many sermons over the years where the thrust is that we are stewards of
God's creation and should take care of it? Regarding climate change, I
don't think that science *is* divided on the issue: it is clear from the
data that the climate is changing. The only thing I have seen any
disagreement on is how much of the effect is 'man made' and how much is
part of a natural cycle. That said, I'm sure you can find any view you
want if you look hard enough....

> The one sermon i heard was based on Genesis
>
> Ge 8:22 While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and
> heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.
>
> This preacher's argument was that in this verse , we are promised by God
> Himself in His Word, that while the earth remains, seedtime and harvest
> etc will not cease.
> The preacher therefore concluded that whatever man may do to this
> planetwe have the promise of the regularity of the seasons etc.

I'm sure that as long as the sun shines and the earth rotates there will
be seasons and harvests. But I can see it getting harder with increasing
floods, while more arid conditions in other places, etc. Just like when
we were thrown out of the Garden of Eden, they still planted and reaped
the grain, but now thistles and thorns made it more difficult, that's how
I see things progressing.

Kendall K. Down

Oct 31, 2021, 4:40:08 PM10/31/21
On 31/10/2021 11:43, Jason wrote:

> Perhaps it's a matter of differences in church style, but I have heard
> many sermons over the years where the thrust is that we are stewards of
> God's creation and should take care of it? Regarding climate change, I
> don't think that science *is* divided on the issue: it is clear from the
> data that the climate is changing. The only thing I have seen any
> disagreement on is how much of the effect is 'man made' and how much is
> part of a natural cycle. That said, I'm sure you can find any view you
> want if you look hard enough....

I used to preach on stewardship once a year; stewardship of our time,
our money, our bodies and our environment. We have a duty to God to keep
all of them in good condition so that we can use them for Him.

> I'm sure that as long as the sun shines and the earth rotates there will
> be seasons and harvests. But I can see it getting harder with increasing
> floods, while more arid conditions in other places, etc. Just like when
> we were thrown out of the Garden of Eden, they still planted and reaped
> the grain, but now thistles and thorns made it more difficult, that's how
> I see things progressing.

A very good analogy.