Zoom

Kendall K. Down

Mar 26, 2023, 3:55:48 PM3/26/23
Kidderminster Fellowship, which broadcasts its services via Zoom, has
noticed that recently as soon as any singing or music starts, the sound
drops out. It might be Lisa singing, it might be Steve strumming the
opening chords, but Zoom goes completely quiet until the music stops and
speech begins again.

They are considering moving to Microsoft Teams, but an experiment showed
exactly the same phenomenon.

I wonder if these companies are fighting shy of being sued for
broadcasting copyright music? Does anyone have similar experiences or
explanations or - best of all - fixes?

God bless,
Kendall K. Down

GB

Mar 26, 2023, 4:05:48 PM3/26/23
My wife does an online exercise class on Zoom, and there's no problem
with music there.

GB

Mar 26, 2023, 4:05:48 PM3/26/23
On 26/03/2023 20:55, Kendall K. Down wrote:
It may be a setting. See this link:

https://devforum.zoom.us/t/music-volume-automatically-drops-when-other-hosts-speak/27404/6

in Audio Settings, check option “Suppress background noise” and disable
or put in low. if this is active, zoom considers music as background
noise and suppress it lowering Volume.

As always, Hanlon's Razor applies. :)

GB

Mar 26, 2023, 4:15:46 PM3/26/23
On 26/03/2023 20:55, Kendall K. Down wrote:
This is the response from ChatGPT:

The issue with the sound dropping out during singing or music on Zoom is
likely due to the noise suppression feature that is automatically
enabled on Zoom. This feature is designed to filter out background
noise, but can also mistakenly identify music and singing as noise and
suppress it.

To solve this problem, the Kidderminster Fellowship can try disabling
the noise suppression feature on Zoom. This can be done by going to the
audio settings and unchecking the "Suppress background noise" option.
Alternatively, they can try adjusting the noise suppression level to a
lower setting to see if that helps.

Another solution is to use an external microphone or audio interface
that is designed for music and singing. These devices are often better
at capturing and transmitting music and singing than the built-in
microphone on a laptop or computer.

Finally, they can try using a different video conferencing platform that
is specifically designed for music and singing, such as Jamulus or
SoundJack. These platforms are designed to minimize latency and optimize
audio quality for music performances.

This is what I asked it:

Find a solution to this problem: Kidderminster Fellowship, which

GB

Mar 26, 2023, 4:15:46 PM3/26/23
On 26/03/2023 20:55, Kendall K. Down wrote:
Google Bard performed less well than ChatGPT on this, I thought:

There are a few possible solutions to this problem. One possibility is
that the Zoom meeting is being overloaded with too many participants.
When too many people are trying to talk at once, the software can't keep
up and the sound quality suffers. To solve this problem, Kidderminster
Fellowship could try reducing the number of participants in the Zoom
meeting.

Another possibility is that there is an issue with the audio settings in
Zoom. If the audio settings are not configured properly, the sound
quality can be poor. To solve this problem, Kidderminster Fellowship
could try checking the audio settings in Zoom and making sure that they
are configured correctly.

Finally, it is also possible that there is an issue with the internet
connection of one or more participants. If the internet connection is
slow or unstable, the sound quality can suffer. To solve this problem,
Kidderminster Fellowship could try asking participants to check their
internet connection and make sure that it is stable.

If Kidderminster Fellowship is unable to solve the problem on their own,
they can contact Zoom support for help. Zoom support can provide more
detailed troubleshooting steps and may be able to resolve the issue.

GB

Mar 26, 2023, 4:25:47 PM3/26/23
On 26/03/2023 20:55, Kendall K. Down wrote:
And, the new AI version of Bing gives a chatty answer, but links to this:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/music-suppressed-in-zoom-on-windows-11/92949dc2-9a49-417b-83dd-eda2135fd40b

Mark Goodge

Mar 26, 2023, 4:55:49 PM3/26/23
I suspect that you may have enabled "noise suppression" in your account
settings. If so, disabling it should solve your problem.

A common bugbear of many Zoom meetings is background noise from a
participant who has the radio or TV on in the room while on the call. So the
default noise suppression system is quite finely tuned to block out anything
which sounds like music or singing, on the basis that that's not what you
want to hear in a typical video conference call. But, for broadcasting a
church service, you obviously do want the music to be heard. So you need to
switch it off.

Mark

Kendall K. Down

Mar 26, 2023, 10:25:49 PM3/26/23
On 26/03/2023 21:46, Mark Goodge wrote:

> I suspect that you may have enabled "noise suppression" in your account
> settings. If so, disabling it should solve your problem.

Thanks, Mark.

I should point out that I have no connection with Kidderminster
Fellowship other than preaching there once a month and my son being the
elder, so *I* haven't enabled or disabled anything. I have passed your
message on.

Kendall K. Down

Mar 26, 2023, 10:35:47 PM3/26/23
On 26/03/2023 21:04, GB wrote:

> It may be a setting. See this link:
> https://devforum.zoom.us/t/music-volume-automatically-drops-when-other-hosts-speak/27404/6

Thanks, GB. I've passed your reply and Mark's on to my son. It will be
interesting to see if it works.

Kendall K. Down

Mar 26, 2023, 10:35:47 PM3/26/23
On 26/03/2023 21:12, GB wrote:

> This is the response from ChatGPT:

Impressive. See my comments in the next thread.

God bless,
KKD

Kendall K. Down

Mar 27, 2023, 10:35:45 PM3/27/23
On 26/03/2023 21:46, Mark Goodge wrote:

> I suspect that you may have enabled "noise suppression" in your account
> settings. If so, disabling it should solve your problem.

This is my son's reply:
=========
Yup. We've tried all of that! Eliminated noise suppression in Zoom, gone
into windows setting and disabled it again there (because zoom does it
independent of Windows which does it independent of zoom and neither
talk to each other!!). We've even disabled it in both places windows has
the setting - and it still seems active.

Your respondents are absolutely correct - it's clearly some kind of
noise suppression going on, but how the heck to switch it off, I cannot see.