The Feast of Ramadan

Kendall K. Down

Apr 29, 2022, 12:39:55 AM4/29/22
There was a programme on the World Service this morning going on about
Ramadan and yet again it struck me that the month is not really a fast.
All that happens is that what you would normally do (and eat) during the
day is transferred to the hours of darkness. In fact, as one participant
described, as an actress in Pakistan, she does all her filming at night
during Ramadan!

Given some of the descriptions of what is eaten at night, one wonders
how many Muslims reach the end of the "holy month" weighing rather more
than they did at the start!

Mind you, there was one inaccuracy. The programme was called something
like "Not even Water", a reference to the fact that strict Muslims won't
even drink water during the daylight hours. It should have been called
"Not even Spit", as really strict Muslims won't even swallow their own
saliva during the day.

Perhaps those who extol the virtues of fasting in the Christian context
should aim at that too. Add in itchy sackcloth, a bit of scourging and a
few prayers kneeling on broken glass, that should earn you double Green
Shield Stamps off your time in Purgatory.

God bless,
Kendall K. Down

Mike Davis

Apr 29, 2022, 7:39:56 AM4/29/22
;-) Nah! You got that wrong, Kendall! With Green Shield stamps you had
to collect them and take them along to the shop to get them 'redeemed';
with modern shopping, the store keeps your record and credits you with
the bonuses when you turn up for your final bill!

Mike
--
Mike Davis

Kendall K. Down

Apr 29, 2022, 3:39:55 PM4/29/22
On 29/04/2022 12:35, Mike Davis wrote:

> ;-) Nah! You got that wrong, Kendall!  With Green Shield stamps you had
> to collect them and take them along to the shop to get them 'redeemed';
> with modern shopping, the store keeps your record and credits you with
> the bonuses when you turn up for your final bill!

Yes. Funny how a younger generation wouldn't have a clue what we are
talking about, yet there were Green Shield stamps and shops all over the
place. Quad stamps at some petrol stations - I don't recall anyone ever
going over the quad, so presumably there was some special deal between
GSS and the retailer over that.

Mike Davis

Apr 29, 2022, 5:19:54 PM4/29/22
I fear you missed my subtle allusion... ;-(

Mike
--
Mike Davis

Kendall K. Down

Apr 30, 2022, 1:39:56 AM4/30/22
On 29/04/2022 22:09, Mike Davis wrote:

> I fear you missed my subtle allusion... ;-(

Redeemed? No, I saw it, but nothing to comment on, really.

Sorry.

hermeneutika

May 2, 2022, 4:19:53 PM5/2/22
u both got it wrong.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JESUS SAVES......green shield stamps!!!