From the coal face

Kendall K. Down

Jan 27, 2024, 3:38:56 AMJan 27
An insightful article. It may not mirror every person's experience, but
it is certainly worth considering.

God bless,
Kendall K. Down

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13011839/I-went-agonising-operation-thought-woman-finally-make-happy-devastating-revelation.html

Timreason

Jan 27, 2024, 3:48:56 AMJan 27
Behind a paywall, effectively.

Tim.

Steve Hague

Jan 27, 2024, 6:58:55 AMJan 27
Yes, and the last time I paid for anything from the DM was in 1990, the
year I became a Christian and saw how appalling our newspapers are. I
might use them for kindling, but nothing else.
Steve Hague

Timreason

Jan 27, 2024, 9:48:55 AMJan 27
I share your views on the DM, I'm sure that comes as no surprise!

Apart from the occasional glance at a copy of the Metro, I don't read
newspapers at all these days.

IMO printed newspapers became obsolete with the beginnings of broadcast
radio 100 years ago. The paper versions have a HUGE carbon footprint,
what with the paper manufacture, the printing, the delivery, and then
all the recycling. All for something intended to last for just one day.

But for the purpose of discussions on this ng, it is IMO unhelpful to
post links that cannot be read without hoops to go through, even if
actual payment can be avoided.

Tim.

John

Jan 27, 2024, 11:48:55 AMJan 27

hermeneutika

Jan 27, 2024, 12:38:55 PMJan 27
absolutely terrible......not something i would even contemplate......

Timreason

Jan 27, 2024, 1:48:54 PMJan 27
Same thing, "Subscribe to Mail+ to continue reading". I'm NOT willing to
subscribe, even if it can be cancelled after.

Tim.

Kendall K. Down

Jan 27, 2024, 2:08:59 PMJan 27
On 27/01/2024 08:47, Timreason wrote:

> Behind a paywall, effectively.

Really? They do ask you to authorise cookies (I go through the process
and reject all) but so far as I know there is no question of payment.

Kendall K. Down

Jan 27, 2024, 2:08:59 PMJan 27
On 27/01/2024 14:38, Timreason wrote:

> But for the purpose of discussions on this ng, it is IMO unhelpful to
> post links that cannot be read without hoops to go through, even if
> actual payment can be avoided.

I agree, but as I said, whenever they demand cookies, I just reject all
and that is the end of it. The Daily Mail is by no means that only
website to have similar methods.

John

Jan 27, 2024, 2:38:56 PMJan 27

Mark Goodge

Jan 27, 2024, 4:28:55 PMJan 27
On Sat, 27 Jan 2024 08:47:21 +0000, Timreason <timr...@hotmail.co.uk>
wrote:
Not for me. uBlock Origin FTW.

Mark

John

Jan 27, 2024, 6:18:54 PMJan 27
On 27/01/2024 19:04, Kendall K. Down wrote:
> On 27/01/2024 08:47, Timreason wrote:
>
>> Behind a paywall, effectively.
>
> Really? They do ask you to authorise cookies (I go through the process
> and reject all) but so far as I know there is no question of payment.

It's a mail+ article, and you need to subscribe to mail+ to read it (1)
It came up on my browswer that I had to subscribe to read the article.
I've just tried it in Opera and rejected cookies but still saying I have
to subscribe.

(The link I've given Tim is an archived version, so he (and others)
should be able to view it)

(1) Oh interesting, I've just tried it in a browser called Brave and I
can see the article unhindered. I understand you use a browser that runs
on a different OS, so maybe this is the case for you as well.

Kendall K. Down

Jan 28, 2024, 2:38:53 PMJan 28
On 27/01/2024 23:12, John wrote:

> It's a mail+ article, and you need to subscribe to mail+ to read it (1)
> It came up on my browswer that I had to subscribe to read the article.
> I've just tried it in Opera and rejected cookies but still saying I have
> to subscribe.

I just read it in the newspaper (on-line) and don't have any of the
problems you and others have reported.

> (1) Oh interesting, I've just tried it in a browser called Brave and I
> can see the article unhindered. I understand you use a browser that runs
> on a different OS, so maybe this is the case for you as well.

I use Firefox in Win11.

Graham Nye

Jan 28, 2024, 4:48:54 PMJan 28
On 2024-01-27 23:12:41, John wrote:
> On 27/01/2024 19:04, Kendall K. Down wrote:
>> On 27/01/2024 08:47, Timreason wrote:
>>
>>> Behind a paywall, effectively.
>>
>> Really? They do ask you to authorise cookies (I go through the process
>> and reject all) but so far as I know there is no question of payment.
>
> It's a mail+ article, and you need to subscribe to mail+ to read it (1)

No, it just appears. Running NoScript on Firefox here.
Also uBlock Origin but it reports nothing to do on the DM site,
possibly because NoScript got there first.

(You may not need to run NoScript as well as uBO but I got
NoScript first and as it ain't broke I feel no need to fix it.)

--
Graham Nye
news(a)thenyes.org.uk

Kendall K. Down

Jan 28, 2024, 9:38:52 PMJan 28
On 28/01/2024 21:45, Graham Nye wrote:

> (You may not need to run NoScript as well as uBO but I got
> NoScript first and as it ain't broke I feel no need to fix it.)

I don't use either of the pieces of software you mention.

Laurence Taylor

Feb 7, 2024, 1:41:54 AMFeb 7
On 27/01/2024 08:47, Timreason wrote:
Disable javascript in your browser. That works for most similar sites.

--
rgds
LAurence

I am root. If you see me laughing, you better have a backup!
~~~ Random (signature) 1.6.1

Timreason

Feb 7, 2024, 1:38:40 PMFeb 7
On 06/02/2024 21:03, Laurence Taylor wrote:
> On 27/01/2024 08:47, Timreason wrote:
>> On 27/01/2024 08:36, Kendall K. Down wrote:
>>> An insightful article. It may not mirror every person's experience, but
>>> it is certainly worth considering.
>>>
>>> God bless,
>>> Kendall K. Down
>>>
>>> https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13011839/I-went-agonising-operation-thought-woman-finally-make-happy-devastating-revelation.html
>>>

>> Behind a paywall, effectively.
>
> Disable javascript in your browser. That works for most similar sites.

Thanks. I'll try that, although I notice that the settings (for Edge)
said 'allowed - recommended'. I don't know what the downside is, as I've
now set Javascript to 'blocked'.

If I get problems I suppose I can use Firefox instead, where I haven't
altered any settings.

Tim.

Timreason

Feb 7, 2024, 3:48:40 PMFeb 7
Tried it, nothing worked at all - so put it back to 'allowed'.

Tim.