CPS v. the Bible

Kendall K. Down

Nov 23, 2022, 2:49:36 PM11/23/22
Premier Christian News has distributed the following report:

==================
Lawyers representing the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) have said that
some verses in the Bible are ‘no longer appropriate to modern society’
after a street preacher was arrested.

John Dunn, aged 55, was arrested in Swindon after being accused of
homophobia.

The Special Forces veteran was preaching on 1st November 2020 when two
women walked past holding hands. He called out: “I hope you are sisters.”

The couple are in a same-sex marriage, prompting Mr Dunn to respond:
“the Bible says that homosexuals will not inherit the kingdom of God.”

They then accused Dunn of homophobia, after which he was arrested for
hate speech. Lawyers for CPS told Dunn’s legal team: “There are
references in the Bible which are simply no longer appropriate in modern
society and which would be deemed offensive if stated in public.”
=================

On the day of the trial and complainants couldn't be bothered to turn
up, so the CPS offered no evidence and the case was dismissed, for which
I am glad but it is still no excuse for them to make such statements.
Haven't they heard that the CofE is the established religion of Britain?

God bless,
Kendall K. Down

Mike Davis

Nov 23, 2022, 4:59:32 PM11/23/22
Umm! Apart from the fact that I hold no truck with shouting out Bible
passages 'at' people (I prefer to share them 'with people'), I don't
think that model of evangelism works.

One way is to address such people and to see it as genuine but
unproductive love, and to enter into discussion about how much Jesus
loves them.

Since much of the CoE is prepared to ask God's blessing on such
relationships, I don't think your approach would work either.

Mike
--
Mike Davis

Kendall K. Down

Nov 24, 2022, 2:21:36 PM11/24/22
On 23/11/2022 21:58, Mike Davis wrote:

> Umm!  Apart from the fact that I hold no truck with shouting out Bible
> passages 'at' people (I prefer to share them 'with people'), I don't
> think that model of evangelism works.

Yes, I think he was being unnecessarily confrontational and I doubt that
his approach wins souls for Jesus. On the other hand, if he has been
given a prophetic calling, some of the things Jeremiah and Isaiah did
and said were rather confrontational!

> Since much of the CoE is prepared to ask God's blessing on such
> relationships, I don't think your approach would work either.

I'm not sure that I advocated *any* approach. But it did occur to me
that the CofE is failing in its duty as the established church.