School hymns

Abi

Sep 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/18/96

Does anyone know a place on the Internet where I can find the lyrics to
old school hymns , eg

"I have seen the golden sunshine"
"When a knight won his spurs"

etc etc

All I've been able to find so far is "Lord of the dance".

BTW, please would you e-mail me as I don't come here very often.

Thanks!

Abi

Stephen Brierley

Sep 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/20/96

>Does anyone know a place on the Internet where I can find the lyrics to
>old school hymns , eg
>
>"I have seen the golden sunshine"
>"When a knight won his spurs"

The best place to find them is *here*, without a doubt. You'd be amazed
what mindlessly mudane facts the lurkers and posters of this group have up
their sleeves!

To my shame I confess I actually know some of "When a knight won his spurs"
as I sung it often at the <lowers voice to whisper> prep school <speaks
normally> I went to. It goes:

When a knight won his spurs in the stories of old,
He was gentle and brave, he was gallant and bold.
With a shield on his arm and a sword in his hand,
For God and for valour he rode through the land.

Though back into storyland giants have fled,
And the ? are no more and the dragons are dead.

Let faith be my sword and let joy be by steed,
'Gainst the ogres of anger and giants of greed.
And let....

Andrew Clark

Sep 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/20/96

l.a....@aston.ac.uk (Abi) wrote:

>Does anyone know a place on the Internet where I can find the lyrics to
>old school hymns , eg

>"I have seen the golden sunshine"
>"When a knight won his spurs"

>etc etc

>All I've been able to find so far is "Lord of the dance".

>BTW, please would you e-mail me as I don't come here very often.

>Thanks!

>Abi

A number of schools have pages on the internet and some include one or
two of the hymns they sing. I don't know of any school hymn book on
the internet but I can give you the words of the two hymns you quote:

'I have seen...' is number 99 'Junior Praise'.
'When a knight...' is in 'Hymns Old And New' (1996 Anglican Edition -
and maybe the earlier editions)

I have seen the golden sunshine,
I have watched the flowers grow,
I have listened to the song birds
And there's one thing now I know,
They were all put there for us to share
By someone so divine,
And if you're a friend of Jesus,
CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP
You're a friend of mine.

I've seen the light, I've seen the light,
And that's why my heart sings.
I've known the joy, I've known the joy
That loving Jesus brings.

I have seen the morning sunshine,
I have heard the oceans roar,
I have seen the flowers of springtime,
And there's one thing I am sure,
They were all put there for us to share
By someone so divine,
And if you're a friend of Jesus,
CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP
You're a friend of mine.

Charlie Chester & Benny Litchfield
(c) 1970 High-Fye Music Ltd.

When a knight won his spurs, in the stories of old,
He was gentle and brave, he was gallant and bold;
With a shield on his arm and a lance in his hand

For God and for valour he rode through the land.

No charger have I, and no sword by my side,
Yet still to adventure and battle I ride,

Though back into storyland giants have fled,

And the knights are no more and the dragons are dead.

Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
'Gainst the dragons of anger, the ogres of greed;
And let me set free, with the sword of my youth,
From the castle of darkness the power of truth.

Best wishes,

Andrew

Graham Philip Bates

Sep 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/21/96

ste...@brierley.demon.co.uk (Stephen Brierley) wrote:

>>Does anyone know a place on the Internet where I can find the lyrics to
>>old school hymns , eg
>>
>>"I have seen the golden sunshine"
>>"When a knight won his spurs"

>The best place to find them is *here*, without a doubt. You'd be amazed

>what mindlessly mudane facts the lurkers and posters of this group have up
>their sleeves!

>To my shame I confess I actually know some of "When a knight won his spurs"
>as I sung it often at the <lowers voice to whisper> prep school <speaks
>normally> I went to. It goes:

I also remember some lines of this, but sure which verses they belong
to though :-)

>When a knight won his spurs in the stories of old,
>He was gentle and brave, he was gallant and bold.
>With a shield on his arm and a sword in his hand,

>For God and for valour he rode through the land.

>Though back into storyland giants have fled,

>And the ? are no more and the dragons are dead.

Does ? = knights

>Let faith be my sword and let joy be by steed,
>'Gainst the ogres of anger and giants of greed.
>And let....

...me set free with the sword of my youth

Gerry Howe

Sep 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/21/96

In article <AE67FE76...@brierley.demon.co.uk>, Stephen Brierley

<mailto:ste...@brierley.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> >Does anyone know a place on the Internet where I can find the lyrics to
> >old school hymns , eg
> >
> >"I have seen the golden sunshine"
> >"When a knight won his spurs"

Most of the more 'traditional' children's hymns can be found in *Songs
of Praise* (Oxford University Press) which I believe is still in print.
For some of the more modern try *Mission Praise* (Marshall Pickering)
which is horribly expensive, though.

John Alexander, Professional Railway Services, <><

Sep 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/21/96

In article <AE67FE76...@brierley.demon.co.uk>, Stephen Brierley
<ste...@brierley.demon.co.uk> writes

>>Does anyone know a place on the Internet where I can find the lyrics to
>>old school hymns , eg
>>
>>"I have seen the golden sunshine"
>>"When a knight won his spurs"
>

>To my shame I confess I actually know some of "When a knight won his spurs"
>as I sung it often at the <lowers voice to whisper> prep school <speaks
>normally> I went to. It goes:

I to remember singing it at school - some of the mssing bits are, I
think:-

>When a knight won his spurs in the stories of old,
>He was gentle and brave, he was gallant and bold.
>With a shield on his arm and a sword in his hand,
>For God and for valour he rode through the land.

No charger have I and no sword by my side

Yet still to adventure and battle I ride

>Though back into storyland giants have fled,
>And the ? are no more and the dragons are dead.

and the giants are no more
^^^^^^

>Let faith be my sword and let joy be by steed,
>'Gainst the ogres of anger and giants of greed.
>And let.

me set free by the power of my youth
?????......(I think the last word in the line is "truth")

"I have seen the golden sunshine" is in Junior Praise number 99!

Kate Alexander
--
John Alexander, Professional Railway Services, <><

David Wyatt

Sep 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/22/96

l.a....@aston.ac.uk (Abi) wrote:

>Does anyone know a place on the Internet where I can find the lyrics to
>old school hymns , eg

>"I have seen the golden sunshine"
>"When a knight won his spurs"

>etc etc

>All I've been able to find so far is "Lord of the dance".

>BTW, please would you e-mail me as I don't come here very often.

>Thanks!

>Abi

I've got lots of them (as some of you may have realised from my
had to leave last year.

I'm e-mailing Abi, but if anyone else is interested, let me know.

David
--
David Wyatt, Milton Keynes, UK ><>
Phone +44 (0)1908 647177

David Wyatt

Sep 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/22/96

l.a....@aston.ac.uk (Abi) wrote:

>Does anyone know a place on the Internet where I can find the lyrics to
>old school hymns , eg

>"I have seen the golden sunshine"
>"When a knight won his spurs"

>etc etc

For your interest, a blast from the past:

I HAVE SEEN THE GOLDEN SUNSHINE

I have seen the golden sunshine,
I have watched the flowers grow,
I have listened to the song birds

And there's one thing that I know,

They were all put there for us to share
By someone so divine,
And if you're a friend of Jesus,

CLAP,CLAP, CLAP, CLAP

You're a friend of mine.

I've seen the light, I've seen the light,
And that's why my heart sings

I've known the joy, I've known the joy
That loving Jesus brings

I have seen the morning sunshine,

I have heard the oceans roar,
I have seen the flowers of springtime,
And there's one thing I am sure,
They were all put there for us to share
By someone so divine,
And if you're a friend of Jesus,

CLAP,CLAP, CLAP, CLAP

You're a friend of mine.

(words and music: Charlie Chester & Benny Litchfield)
(I believe _the_ Charlie Chester)

and another:

WHEN A KNIGHT WON HIS SPURS

When a knight won his spurs,
In the stories of old,

He was gentle and brave,

He was gallant and bold;

With a shield on his arm

And a lance in his hand,

For God and for valour

He rode through the land.

No charger have I
And no sword by my side,
Yet still to adventure
And battle I ride,
Though back into storyland
Giants have fled,

And the knights are no more

And the dragons are dead.

Let faith be my shield

And let joy be my steed,

'Gainst the dragons of anger,

The ogres of greed;

And let me set free,

With the sword of my youth,

Stephen Brierley

Sep 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/23/96

In article <AE67FE76...@brierley.demon.co.uk>,
ste...@brierley.demon.co.uk (Stephen Brierley) wrote:

>Let faith be my sword and let joy be by steed,
>'Gainst the ogres of anger and giants of greed.

>And let....

Then his posting suddenly stopped!

In article <84331298...@cisex83.demon.co.uk>,

gra...@cityscape.co.uk (Graham Philip Bates) wrote:

>>Let faith be my sword and let joy be by steed,
>>'Gainst the ogres of anger and giants of greed.

>>And let....
>
>...me set free with the sword of my youth

..and then *his* posting suddenly stopped too!

The reason for these mysterious premature terminations? The first word of
the next line is "From" -- "From the castle of darkness the power of
truth." Full mark to Andrew Clark who had the good sense to put a space in
there when he typed out the words!

How entertaining :)

Stephen.

Robert Billing

Sep 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/23/96

In article <524e9a$c...@power2.power.net.uk>
da...@wyatt.powernet.co.uk "David Wyatt" writes:

> Let faith be my shield
> And let joy be my steed,
> 'Gainst the dragons of anger,
> The ogres of greed;
> And let me set free,
> With the sword of my youth,

Either this doesn't scan very well or the dreaded fromdragon got you.

--
I am Robert Billing, Christian, inventor, traveller, cook and animal
lover, I live in England, near 0:46W 51:22N.

MRS S SANSBURY

Sep 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/23/96

Here are the words from memory as we used to sing them (frequently and
often, obviously!) at my junior school ... I have no shame - what's wrong
with the hymn, anyway?!

Can't help with 'I have seen the golden sunshine', though ...

"When a knight won his spurs in the stories of old
He was gentle and brave, he was gallant and bold;
With a shield on his arm and a lance in his hand,
For God and for valour he rode through the land.

No charger have I, and no sword by my side,
Yet still to adventure and battle I ride,
Though back into storyland giants have fled,
And the knights are no more, and the dragons are dead.

Let faith be my shield, and let joy be my steed
'Gainst the dragons of anger, the ogres of greed;
And let me set free with the sword of my youth
From the castle of darkness, the power of the truth."

[ahem...there's a problem with lines starting 'From'/'from'; please please
look out for this! oh, & welcome :-) - Patrick]

That took me back!!

Sarah Sansbury
(an ex-lurker who is so newly 'ex' that she doesn't have a signature of any
description!)*****************S.San...@warwick.ac.uk********************

Charles Lindsey

Sep 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/25/96

>The reason for these mysterious premature terminations? The first word of
>the next line is "From" -- "From the castle of darkness the power of
>truth." Full mark to Andrew Clark who had the good sense to put a space in
>there when he typed out the words!

Aha! And as someone already pointed out this is a mail, not a news problem,
pertaining particularly to mailers using Unix mbox format (which many of them
do). So the problem is either at exnet, or in our moderator's mail system.

--
Charles H. Lindsey -------------------------------------------------------------
At Home, doing my own thing. Internet: c...@clw.cs.man.ac.uk

Jon Page

Apr 13, 2021, 3:26:35 PM4/13/21
On Wednesday, 18 September 1996 at 08:00:00 UTC+1, Abi wrote:
> Does anyone know a place on the Internet where I can find the lyrics to
> old school hymns , eg
> "I have seen the golden sunshine"
> "When a knight won his spurs"
> etc etc
> All I've been able to find so far is "Lord of the dance".
> BTW, please would you e-mail me as I don't come here very often.
> Thanks!
> Abi

https://youtu.be/fzz5r2BO1xA - When a knight won his spurs

https://youtu.be/q_tpA2luE1g - I have seen the Golden Sunshine

Kendall K. Down

Apr 13, 2021, 4:00:08 PM4/13/21
On 13/04/2021 14:40, Jon Page wrote:

>> BTW, please would you e-mail me as I don't come here very often.

I suspect that this is cross-posted or something, but just as a general
point, I would think it only courteous that if you ask a question of a
group, you hang around long enough to benefit from any replies.

God bless,
Kendall K. Down

Madhu

Apr 13, 2021, 5:10:06 PM4/13/21
* "Kendall K. Down" <s54spa$hqj$3...@dont-email.me> :
Wrote on Tue, 13 Apr 2021 20:52:10 +0100:

> On 13/04/2021 14:40, Jon Page wrote:

I think you got the attribution wrong: This should be

> I suspect that this is cross-posted or something, but just as a
> general point, I would think it only courteous that if you ask a
> question of a group, you hang around long enough to benefit from any
> replies.

Jon Page didn't write that. Abi wrote that 21 years ago - maybe Abi is
hanging around...