Re: Western companies

Kendall K. Down

Nov 24, 2022, 2:29:34 PM11/24/22
On 23/11/2022 17:35, hermeneutika wrote:

> 6500 migrant worker deaths is 6500 deaths too many. and to think we are supporting such a country with the so called world cup. SHAME ON US

I have an easy solution to the angst that seems to be consuming you.
Just ignore this football thing. You will be none the worse off for not
knowing who beat whom, when and by how much. You will probably be
healthier - physically and through avoiding stress - if you go for a run
instead of lounging in front of the TV watching other people run.

God bless,
Kendall K. Down

hermeneutika

Nov 28, 2022, 9:19:32 AM11/28/22
wot...me lounging about in front of telly......!!! lol

Kendall K. Down

Nov 28, 2022, 2:49:29 PM11/28/22
On 28/11/2022 14:17, hermeneutika wrote:

> wot...me lounging about in front of telly......!!! lol

Well, however it is that you are getting your stress-producing
information about football, stop it.

Madhu

Nov 30, 2022, 4:29:30 AM11/30/22
* "Kendall K. Down" <tlogls$nbge$5 @dont-email.me> :
Wrote on Thu, 24 Nov 2022 19:28:59 +0000:
> I have an easy solution to the angst that seems to be consuming
> you. Just ignore this football thing. You will be none the worse off
> for not knowing who beat whom, when and by how much. You will probably
> be healthier - physically and through avoiding stress - if you go for
> a run instead of lounging in front of the TV watching other people
> run.

We had a visiting guest preacher at the local language church last week
(which almost never happens) who at one point tried to lay the guilt on
the congregants by accusing them of being addicted to TV (watching TV
serials and getting angry about missing an episode). He confessed he
himself watched The Smurfs as a kid and was able to relate. I've
forgotten the theological point if there was one. But I think it wasn't
a valid charge to bring on the members, and and an assumption of on
spiritual maturity, though it is perfectly true in the consumer economy
that he operates in

(It's a small church with maybe 250 members on the rolls, and though I
only see around 15-20 on the sunday evenings, I'm sure none of them care
for that)

Kendall K. Down

Nov 30, 2022, 1:59:31 PM11/30/22
On 30/11/2022 09:24, Madhu wrote:

> We had a visiting guest preacher at the local language church last week
> (which almost never happens) who at one point tried to lay the guilt on
> the congregants by accusing them of being addicted to TV (watching TV
> serials and getting angry about missing an episode). He confessed he
> himself watched The Smurfs as a kid and was able to relate. I've
> forgotten the theological point if there was one. But I think it wasn't
> a valid charge to bring on the members, and and an assumption of on
> spiritual maturity, though it is perfectly true in the consumer economy
> that he operates in

Hee hee. I had some members who were addicted to The Archers, a
long-running radio serial. For the 15 minutes that the Archers were on,
the phone was off the hook, they wouldn't answer the door, and if you
happened to be visiting, you were told in no uncertain terms to either
shut up or get out!

Now the Archers - at least in those days - were fairly innocuous. But
soaps, as they are called, rely on shocking story lines to keep viewers
hooked. Brazilian soaps, which you are likely to find in India, if not
Bollywood ones, rely on nudity and promiscuity to keep things
interesting. Divorce, abuse, violence, dishonesty, watch the soaps and
get your mind filled with these things.

So I'm afraid that I agree with your visiting preacher. Do *not* fill
your mind with such things. "Whatsoever things are pure, honest,
truthful, of good report ..."