swords into ploughshares

1 view

David Dalton

Jul 30, 2022, 12:48:07 AM7/30/22
Do you know the exact biblical quote about
swords into ploughshares
and who said it and what book and verse it is in?

łMany a one has passed beyond, In the time between the two moons,
Though I am still enjoying earth, Thou moon of moons and of blessings!"

Kendall K. Down

Jul 30, 2022, 1:49:43 AM7/30/22

There is a perfectly adequate search facility at www.biblegateway.com
though, like me, you should choose the KJV version, as the words you
quote are from the King James Version. Very likely if you look up the
NIV it will have some abomination like "plowshares" which you won't be
expecting.

(Later)
Huh! It being an American website, even their KJV is corrupted and fails
to recognise "ploughshares", but uses "plowshares"!

However I searched for "beat swords" and came up with three results.

God bless,
Kendall K. Down

Mike Davis

Jul 30, 2022, 5:19:41 AM7/30/22
But I see no reason for not sharing them...

Isa 2:4
Joel 3:10
Micah 4:3

Mike
--
Mike Davis

David Dalton

Jul 30, 2022, 1:59:20 PM7/30/22
In article <jkkass...@mid.individual.net>,
Thanks, Mike and Kendall.

“Many a one has passed beyond, In the time between the two moons,

David Dalton

Jul 31, 2022, 1:31:27 AM7/31/22
In article <jkkass...@mid.individual.net>,
Mike Davis <mjd...@trustsof.co.uk> wrote:

Actually the Joel one is:

Joel 3:10
Beat your plowshares into swords and your pruninghooks into
spears: let the weak say, I am strong.

which is the opposite of the other two, which say swords
into plowshares and spears into pruninghooks. The Joel
one seems to be encouraging underdog farmers to rise up,
whereas the other two are promoting widespread peace.

“Sunrise in the morning; Birds singing on every tree; A greeting and a
warning; The song that they're singing is `Be free!' " (Rawlins Cross)

Kendall K. Down

Jul 31, 2022, 1:39:43 AM7/31/22
On 30/07/2022 10:10, Mike Davis wrote:

> But I see no reason for not sharing them...

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
Teach him to fish and you feed him for life.

Kendall K. Down

Jul 31, 2022, 1:49:43 AM7/31/22
On 31/07/2022 03:52, David Dalton wrote:

> which is the opposite of the other two, which say swords
> into plowshares and spears into pruninghooks. The Joel
> one seems to be encouraging underdog farmers to rise up,
> whereas the other two are promoting widespread peace.

No, Joel is not leading a social rebellion, indeed, none of the three
are encouraging people to any particular course of action.

All three are prophets, but Isaiah and Micah are speaking of the future
happy days when God's kingdom is established on earth and there will be
universal peace. Unfortunately, there are those who would resist God and
who will resort to war to that end and they are the ones about whom Joel
is speaking.

I trust that a moment's thought will persuade you that Joel is hardly
likely to be encouraging the wicked and the heathen to attack his own
nation, nor is he directing underdog farmers to darken the sun and moon
(not sure how they would go about doing that, mind you!) And, if he was
encouraging social rebellion, it is a funny sort of encouragement to say
that it will all end in tears when God "roars out of Zion" and shakes
the heavens and the earth. Sounds like discouragement to me!