Rufford Ford

Kendall K. Down

Nov 27, 2022, 2:59:32 AM11/27/22
I've just been watching an amusing couple of films about this ford
somewhere in England, and all the cars who end up broken down either in
the middle or just the other side. Flooded roads or fords are an
occupational hazard to a minister in Wales (apart, I suppose, from those
with an exclusively urban parish), so here's how to survive.

1. You want fairly high revs to keep water from going up your exhaust pipe.

2. You want, above all, to keep water from getting at the electrics in
your engine, which are usually at a fairly high level.

Those two considerations point to a low gear - first or second - and a
slow approach and drive through. Do NOT, as so many Rufford Ford people
do, try to crash through the water with spray flying and your bow-wave
surging up over your bonnet!

However there are two further considerations:

3. Know where your car's air intake is. Early models of the Renault
Espace, for example, had the air intake low down beside one of the front
wheels. The advertising showed the Espace cruising through low waves on
the beach but it was well known that if you attempted that with an
unmodified car, you sucked up water into your engine, which resulted in
an engine locked solid and your con-rods bent. (Fairly fatal.)

4. But having gained that knowledge, then make sure of the water depth!
If necessary, take off your shoes, roll your trouser legs up and wade
it. If it comes up to your knees, it is probably too deep. If you don't
want to get your legs wet, wait for someone else to go through and judge
the depth of the water by how high it comes on their vehicle. Anything
more than half-way up a car wheel is probably too deep.

So the final rule is simple; if the water is too deep or too
fast-flowing, find another route. It is better to be a quarter of an
hour late for your preaching appointment than to be sitting surrounded
by water and with huge bills for a replacement engine staring you in the
face.

God bless,
Kendall K. Down

Stuart

Nov 28, 2022, 5:19:30 PM11/28/22
In article <tlv4s7$1kmd6$1...@dont-email.me>,
Kendall K. Down <kendal...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> 3. Know where your car's air intake is. Early models of the Renault
> Espace, for example, had the air intake low down beside one of the front
> wheels.

Yes I had one of those, I was very careful not to go near any water if I
could avoid it.

Incidentally, I was having a grumble about this to my local dealer and he
assured me that the Vauxhall Fronterra, supposedly and "off road" vehicle,
had the same arrangement!

--
Stuart Winsor

Tools With A Mission
sending tools across the world
http://www.twam.co.uk/

Kendall K. Down

Nov 29, 2022, 12:19:31 AM11/29/22
On 28/11/2022 22:08, Stuart wrote:

> Yes I had one of those, I was very careful not to go near any water if I
> could avoid it.

It quite put me off buying one - that and the fact that to replace the
spark plug furthest from the front of the car you just about had to
remove the engine! *Very* badly designed.

> Incidentally, I was having a grumble about this to my local dealer and he
> assured me that the Vauxhall Fronterra, supposedly an "off road" vehicle,
> had the same arrangement!

Incredible!

Stuart

Nov 29, 2022, 4:09:30 AM11/29/22
In article <tm44n6$26uk2$1...@dont-email.me>,
Kendall K. Down <kendal...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> > Yes I had one of those, I was very careful not to go near any water if
> > I could avoid it.

> It quite put me off buying one - that and the fact that to replace the
> spark plug furthest from the front of the car you just about had to
> remove the engine! *Very* badly designed.

I already had mine by the time I found out and it was a diesel. It was a
Mark II and I did over 300,000 miles in it. I was sad when I wrote it off
on black ice, it was such a versatile vehicle.

Kendall K. Down

Nov 29, 2022, 3:49:28 PM11/29/22
On 29/11/2022 08:47, Stuart wrote:

> I already had mine by the time I found out and it was a diesel. It was a
> Mark II and I did over 300,000 miles in it. I was sad when I wrote it off
> on black ice, it was such a versatile vehicle.

Yes, it was the versatility which attracted me - but given that I did
have to go through fords and streams from time to time (as indicated in
the first post in this thread), the problem with the air intake was
decisive.