The Next Level

Kendall K. Down

Jan 3, 2022, 2:20:06 AM1/3/22
For those who want to take their church service broadcasting to the next
level, try https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiXDh0Axwwk

It was filmed in a London church by a friend using "a borrowed GoPro 360
camera". The point is that you can drag over the video using your mouse
and look at the ceiling or the scene behind the camera or follow the
reader as he walks from lectern to pew.

I've written back to ask for further details, such as whether one can
live-stream in 360 degree video or whether hours of post-production
editing are required, but I think you'll agree that the results are
impressive.

God bless,
Kendall K. Down

Jason

Jan 3, 2022, 3:28:18 PM1/3/22
That *is* impressive. I've seen some 360 degree youtube videos before
(most recently of steam engine somewhere), but those I've seen before are
a lot more distorted, whereas this one looks very natural.

Kendall K. Down

Jan 3, 2022, 3:50:09 PM1/3/22
On 03/01/2022 12:10, Jason wrote:

> That *is* impressive. I've seen some 360 degree youtube videos before
> (most recently of steam engine somewhere), but those I've seen before are
> a lot more distorted, whereas this one looks very natural.

From reviews of the camera, I think the GoPro 360 Max can take most of
the credit.

I think it is a bit of overkill for an ordinary service such as that
one, but for a study group, being able to scroll around and see who is
speaking could revolutionise the recording.

Jason

Jan 5, 2022, 4:02:34 PM1/5/22
I agree, I'm not sure it is suitable for services, not least because most
live-streamed services I've attended have taken care (and sometimes
pointed out this fact explicitly) to ensure that that congregation does
not appear on camera.

I'm impressed how quickly this technology is moving on though, and I'm
sure there will be uses for it in a church context.

Kendall K. Down

Jan 5, 2022, 4:30:08 PM1/5/22
On 05/01/2022 13:15, Jason wrote:

> I agree, I'm not sure it is suitable for services, not least because most
> live-streamed services I've attended have taken care (and sometimes
> pointed out this fact explicitly) to ensure that that congregation does
> not appear on camera.

Yes, my friend's church has that same policy, which is why I was
surprised at the video. Perhaps, seeing as there were so few there, they
got permission from each person individually?

> I'm impressed how quickly this technology is moving on though, and I'm
> sure there will be uses for it in a church context.

I'm looking forward to the holograms, so that I can stand in my front
room (with a suitable green-screen background) and preach in half a
dozen churches at once.

Mike Davis

Jan 6, 2022, 8:40:07 AM1/6/22
In spite of ZOOM, I still prefer to see the whites of their eyes! ;-)

If someone closes their eyes while I'm speaking, I wind up quickly.
(Unless, of course, it's a prayer!)

Mike
--
Mike Davis

Jason

Jan 6, 2022, 2:47:47 PM1/6/22
On Wed, 05 Jan 2022 21:27:04 +0000, Kendall K. Down wrote:

> On 05/01/2022 13:15, Jason wrote:
>
>> I agree, I'm not sure it is suitable for services, not least because
>> most live-streamed services I've attended have taken care (and
>> sometimes pointed out this fact explicitly) to ensure that that
>> congregation does not appear on camera.
>
> Yes, my friend's church has that same policy, which is why I was
> surprised at the video. Perhaps, seeing as there were so few there, they
> got permission from each person individually?

Well, the video is marked as 'unlisted' on youtube, so without being sent
a direct link to it, no-one would be able to find it. I guess they are
happy with you sharing it here??

>> I'm impressed how quickly this technology is moving on though, and I'm
>> sure there will be uses for it in a church context.
>
> I'm looking forward to the holograms, so that I can stand in my front
> room (with a suitable green-screen background) and preach in half a
> dozen churches at once.

Yes, in fact you might as well do away with all preachers, and just have
one mega-preacher talking to the whole world! :-)

Kendall K. Down

Jan 6, 2022, 3:30:08 PM1/6/22
On 06/01/2022 13:09, Jason wrote:

> Yes, in fact you might as well do away with all preachers, and just have
> one mega-preacher talking to the whole world! :-)

That would be the downside.

I don't know whether you have come across Mark Gungor? He uses modern
media to run three churches in different locations and, of course, to
reach out to many individuals outside those churches.

Good for him, but I would hate it if there was indeed one mega-preacher;
the church needs local preachers who can speak God's message to the
local situation and local needs, even if they lack the charisma of the
mega-preachers.

Kendall K. Down

Jan 6, 2022, 3:30:09 PM1/6/22
On 06/01/2022 13:36, Mike Davis wrote:

> If someone closes their eyes while I'm speaking, I wind up quickly.
> (Unless, of course, it's a prayer!)

Nah, they're just doing it to help them concentrate. It's when they
start shaking their watches to see if they have stopped that you need to
stop.