2 corinthians 10:3-5

hermeneutika

Aug 21, 2021, 3:57:00 PM8/21/21
3 for walking in the flesh, not according to the flesh do we war,
4 for the weapons of our warfare are not fleshly, but powerful to God for bringing down of strongholds,
5 reasonings bringing down, and every high thing lifted up against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of the Christ,
(YLT)

3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh.
4 For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds,
5 casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ,
(NKJV)

3 For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does.
4 The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds.
5 We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.
(NIV)

Do we regard other faiths as "strongholds"? If so how do we "cast them down"? According to Strongs Greek dictionary

2507 καθαιρέω kathaireo kath-ahee-reh’-o

from 2596 and 138 (including its alternate); v; TDNT-3:411,380; {See TDNT 341}

AV-take down 4, destroy 2, put down 1, pull down 1, cast down 1; 9

1) to take down
1a) without the notion of violence: to detach from the cross, one crucified
1b) with the use of force: to throw down, cast down
2) to pull down, demolish
2a) the subtle reasonings (of opponents) likened to a fortress, i.e. to refute, to destroy

This would seem to authorise Christian polemics and Christian Apologetics? What does the team think??

Kendall K. Down

Aug 21, 2021, 4:50:08 PM8/21/21
On 21/08/2021 19:52, hermeneutika wrote:

> Do we regard other faiths as "strongholds"? If so how do we "cast them down"? According to Strongs Greek dictionary

I'm not sure what you mean by "other faiths"; other Christian
denominations than your own? Or other (non-Christian) religions?

In either case, we cast them down by prayer and by witnessing to the
power of God through Jesus.

> This would seem to authorise Christian polemics and Christian Apologetics? What does the team think??

Certainly we should do our best to present a coherent and logical
Christianity, but remember the book, "The Christ of the Indian Road".
The author, a noted missionary in India, pointed out that Hinduism has
specious arguments against any Christian teaching. The one argument that
it cannot withstand is that of a Spirit-filled Christian; *you* are the
Christ of the Indian Road, for if Hindus can see Christ in you, they
have no argument against it.

The same applies to any religion or philosophy; there is no argument
against a loving and loveable Christian from whom Christ shines.

God bless,
Kendall K. Down