From the coal face - part 2

John

Jan 27, 2024, 12:08:55 PMJan 27

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-10668377/Stephanie-Hirst-says-doctor-warned-not-successful-life-transitioned.html

This one isn't behind a paywall Tim.

I've mentioned this lady before without naming her. As she is a public
name I don't see wy not, and surely it's better to have a happy person
comfortable in their own skin than someone believing they are trapped in
the wrong body and contemplating suicide every time they go home on a
monday *for a decade*

"I was on my way home and there would be a certain point on the M1 where
the carriageway near where I live is higher than the other carriageway.
I would want to turn my car into the central reservation, I kid you not,
every day for over a decade.

I got to a point one day where literally one arm was pulling it the
other way and the other is pulling it the other"

Timreason

Jan 27, 2024, 2:08:58 PMJan 27
Thanks for the usable link, John.

The thing to remember is people are complex and all very different. I've
personally known (and know) a few people who have transitioned, and as
I've mentioned before, for some it went very well, for others not so good.

I noted how the school made the 'boys sit here, and the girls sit over
there'. I feel that was wrong (except perhaps where the situation made
it necessary, such as changing for sports and activities, or competing
where physical strength might be a factor.)

It would be better to say, "Join the group you feel most comfortable
in". One group might be mainly boys, the other mainly girls, but so what?

I think early school life is important, and should seek to include
everyone, so as far as possible no-one feels left out.

Tim.

Kendall K. Down

Jan 28, 2024, 2:38:53 PMJan 28
On 27/01/2024 19:04, Timreason wrote:

> It would be better to say, "Join the group you feel most comfortable
> in". One group might be mainly boys, the other mainly girls, but so what?

And if a girl went to join the boys' group, you don't think the boys
would react? And vice-versa, of course. X may feel most comfortable
mixing with girls, but what do the girls think about it?

God bless,
Kendall K. Down

Timreason

Jan 29, 2024, 3:38:52 AMJan 29
On 28/01/2024 19:36, Kendall K. Down wrote:
> On 27/01/2024 19:04, Timreason wrote:
>
>> It would be better to say, "Join the group you feel most comfortable
>> in". One group might be mainly boys, the other mainly girls, but so what?
>
> And if a girl went to join the boys' group, you don't think the boys
> would react?

No, actually, I don't. Children just accept things, at early ages, and
will accept that a small number of boys prefer to mix more with the
girls, and vice-versa.

For example, people of colour were rare where I grew up, back in the
1960s. As a young child I just thought, 'People are a pinkish sort of
colour', because all the people I had seen were 'pink'. However, one day
in the playground I met a boy (who had been fostered) who was Black.

I'd never noticed Black people before, and my immediate question was
"Why are you all black like that?". His response was, "Because my real
parents came from a hot country." Fascinated, I responded with another
question, "Are all the people black in that country?" to which he
responded, "yes". I was just fascinated to discover that there were
whole countries in the world where even the people were a different colour!

My point being, kids at such a young age (primary school) are learning
and discovering about the world, and will just accept that some boys are
a bit 'girly' and some girls are a bit 'boyish'. It goes along with
discovering all the other differences and the diversity of humanity.

Teachers trying to pretend it is not so, or trying to force conformity,
will only confuse the natural learning process.

Tim.

Kendall K. Down

Jan 29, 2024, 1:28:52 PMJan 29
On 29/01/2024 08:28, Timreason wrote:

> My point being, kids at such a young age (primary school) are learning
> and discovering about the world, and will just accept that some boys are
> a bit 'girly' and some girls are a bit 'boyish'. It goes along with
> discovering all the other differences and the diversity of humanity.

I accept that very young children are as you describe. 9 or 10 is a
different matter, however.