(OT) Quick apology

Jason

Nov 19, 2021, 2:07:40 PM11/19/21
Quick apology, sorry if I reply slowly or out-of-sequence: something odd
has happened with my Usenet newsfeed this last couple of weeks and
messages are coming in delayed (often by days) and in the wrong order
(bits missing in the threads). Hopefully this will be rectified, or
maybe ISPs don't really know or care about newsfeeds these days!

Kendall K. Down

Nov 19, 2021, 2:20:06 PM11/19/21
Annoying, but I wouldn't worry about it unduly. People often take time
to respond - perhaps they are thinking deeply, perhaps they are just
busy, perhaps (as in your case) their ISP is playing up.

God bless,
Kendall K. Down

Madhu

Nov 21, 2021, 12:50:07 AM11/21/21
* "Kendall K. Down" <sn8t4v$p3f$3...@dont-email.me> :
Wrote on Fri, 19 Nov 2021 19:15:44 +0000:
I revel in the asynchronous nature of usenet communications, i tend to
read messages out of order (delaying some for weeks before even reading
them) and I never had any consideration for others - if they may find
this sort of behaviour irritating. I just assumed it's par for usenet
and it's embarrassing to see apologies like Jason's!

Kendall K. Down

Nov 21, 2021, 2:30:07 AM11/21/21
On 21/11/2021 05:48, Madhu wrote:

> I revel in the asynchronous nature of usenet communications, i tend to
> read messages out of order (delaying some for weeks before even reading
> them) and I never had any consideration for others - if they may find
> this sort of behaviour irritating. I just assumed it's par for usenet
> and it's embarrassing to see apologies like Jason's!

I do not doubt that the apology was offered in good faith and I regard
it in that light, even though, like you, I feel that it was unnecessary.

Personally I try to deal with uk.r.c on a daily basis (the posts would
mount up if I didn't!) but if circumstances mean that I cannot reply
right away - being on holiday and away from the internet, for example -
I don't worry. Indeed, there have been a couple of occasions when I
delayed replying while I did some research.

Jason

Nov 22, 2021, 2:29:00 PM11/22/21
It wasn't so much the tardiness in replies I was getting at really, it
was more the out-of-sequence part. For instance, my original comment on
this thread has not appeared yet, but (at least some of) your replies
have. It may therefore seem like I've got the complete wrong end of the
stick if I reply to a reply to a reply but haven't seen the original
post, that's all :-)

Kendall K. Down

Nov 22, 2021, 2:50:12 PM11/22/21
On 22/11/2021 10:40, Jason wrote:

> It wasn't so much the tardiness in replies I was getting at really, it
> was more the out-of-sequence part. For instance, my original comment on
> this thread has not appeared yet, but (at least some of) your replies
> have. It may therefore seem like I've got the complete wrong end of the
> stick if I reply to a reply to a reply but haven't seen the original
> post, that's all :-)

That is curious. If you can see my replies but not your post to which I
am replying, that implies that there is something wrong with your newsfeed.

On a general point, I have not rejected any of your posts and I wish
Mark would put you on auto-approve.

John

Nov 24, 2021, 8:20:06 PM11/24/21
A few years ago I changed my email address in my settings, as the one
this links to isn't correct. Obviously that meant my posts had to be
manually approved but despite several weeks of this being the case you
wouldn't auto approve me, stating you didn't have the authority. In the
end I got fed up and changed it back so I could be back on auto approval

However I have since seen Mark state that you do have the authority to
put someone on auto-approval, so I cannot understand why you don't carry
out this simple task in Jason's case.

Kendall K. Down

Nov 25, 2021, 1:10:06 AM11/25/21
On 25/11/2021 01:10, John wrote:

> A few years ago I changed my email address in my settings, as the one
> this links to isn't correct.  Obviously that meant my posts had to be
> manually approved but despite several weeks of this being the case you
> wouldn't auto approve me, stating you didn't have the authority.  In the
> end I got fed up and changed it back so I could be back on auto approval

I am only the assistant mod.

> However I have since seen Mark state that you do have the authority to
> put someone on auto-approval, so I cannot understand why you don't carry
> out this simple task in Jason's case.

I must have missed that. Perhaps Mark would care to restate it.

I have (I think) the ability to change a poster's status, but I must
admit that I would prefer that to be done by the official moderator as
my role, as I understand it, is simply to relieve him of the day-to-day
routine work of checking posts.

John

Nov 25, 2021, 5:50:08 AM11/25/21
https://groups.google.com/g/uk.religion.christian/c/k726G5XlFAA/m/ZIn-McOZCgAJ

Mark's post is 4/1/20 1.38 pm and my reply is at 3.50pm. You were
involved in that thread so I'm not sure how you missed it.

Jason

Nov 25, 2021, 3:36:05 PM11/25/21
In this particular case I don't think it's to do with moderation, the
posts usually go through quickly. It's that I see 'holes' in the
threads, sometimes lasting days or weeks where some individual posts from
different people are missing in the middle of a thread, and I can only
deduce that they are there because I see others have quoted and replied
to them. I think the issue is with my Usenet server which is not always
properly handling messages anymore. Some do turn up eventually, others
so far have not....

Kendall K. Down

Nov 25, 2021, 3:50:06 PM11/25/21
On 25/11/2021 10:44, John wrote:

> Mark's post is 4/1/20 1.38 pm and my reply is at 3.50pm.  You were
> involved in that thread so I'm not sure how you missed it.

Thanks. I read that - and still read it - as stating what I have already
told you: I can click the necessary buttons, but that does not mean that
I have the authority to click those buttons. As I state in that thread,
I leave it to Mark as a "nod" to his authority as moderator.

If Mark were to tell me that he wishes me to assume that function, that
is a different matter. So far he has not done so.

Jason

Nov 29, 2021, 3:28:23 PM11/29/21
This post is an example in point. I have a chain of messages on this
thread, with messages both before and after this one (with the later ones
quoting it, which is how I knew at least one post was missing), yet this
particular one was missing until now. I tried a different newsreader in
case it was a problem there, but the result is the same, so I agree with
you, I think my news feed is misbehaving.

Kendall K. Down

Nov 29, 2021, 3:50:09 PM11/29/21
On 29/11/2021 16:17, Jason wrote:

> This post is an example in point. I have a chain of messages on this
> thread, with messages both before and after this one (with the later ones
> quoting it, which is how I knew at least one post was missing), yet this
> particular one was missing until now. I tried a different newsreader in
> case it was a problem there, but the result is the same, so I agree with
> you, I think my news feed is misbehaving.

I can recommend this eternalseptember (or whatever it is that I'm using).

news.eternal-september.org

Jason

Nov 30, 2021, 11:39:46 PM11/30/21
Thanks, I'll look into that if I continue to have problems; I'm currently
just using the one that comes with the ISP.

John

Dec 1, 2021, 3:20:06 AM12/1/21
It's a good news server, I use it as well.

Timreason

Dec 1, 2021, 3:30:08 AM12/1/21
On 30/11/2021 21:14, Jason wrote:
I'm using Eternal September, and find it generally very good. However,
ISTR it was a bit fiddly to set up.

The set up I have is an Acer laptop running Windows 10, but using the
Mozilla Thunderbird email client in conjunction with Eternal September
to access Usenet.

Tim.

steve hague

Dec 1, 2021, 4:30:08 AM12/1/21
I use aioe, which I know is a vowel short of a u, but it works well, and
is free.

Timreason

Dec 1, 2021, 4:40:08 AM12/1/21
Thunderbird and E. Sept. are also free, although they do tout for donations.

Tim.

Kendall K. Down

Dec 1, 2021, 4:10:09 PM12/1/21
On 01/12/2021 08:26, Timreason wrote:

> I'm using Eternal September, and find it generally very good. However,
> ISTR it was a bit fiddly to set up.

It was when I first started using it, but after a serious crash, when I
had to reinstall everything, I found the Thunderbird had simplified
things considerably, both in setting up e-mail and news feed.

I'm happy to share my settings if Jason wants to contact me privately.

Jason

Dec 2, 2021, 3:31:19 PM12/2/21
Thank you! If I can avoid making changes I will, but if problems persist
I will drop you a line. I'm currently using the 'pan' newsreader.

Kendall K. Down

Dec 2, 2021, 3:40:09 PM12/2/21
On 02/12/2021 11:33, Jason wrote:

> Thank you! If I can avoid making changes I will, but if problems persist
> I will drop you a line. I'm currently using the 'pan' newsreader.

I know the feeling. The offer remains at any time.

Jason

Dec 5, 2021, 2:56:08 PM12/5/21
On Thu, 02 Dec 2021 20:39:34 +0000, Kendall K. Down wrote:

> On 02/12/2021 11:33, Jason wrote:
>
>> Thank you! If I can avoid making changes I will, but if problems
>> persist I will drop you a line. I'm currently using the 'pan'
>> newsreader.
>
> I know the feeling. The offer remains at any time.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I've changed the settings in my
newsreader ('pan') to point to Eternal September, and low and behold, it
seems to be working fine and all the gaps in my threads have been filled
in :-)

Thanks again!

Kendall K. Down

Dec 6, 2021, 3:50:04 AM12/6/21
On 05/12/2021 13:01, Jason wrote:

> Thanks everyone for your advice. I've changed the settings in my
> newsreader ('pan') to point to Eternal September, and low and behold, it
> seems to be working fine and all the gaps in my threads have been filled
> in :-)

Brilliant. Praise the Lord.