Midland Mainline to get flood protection from restored canal

Martin Nicholas

Nov 24, 2020, 11:28:59 AM11/24/20
"An historical canal is set to be restored in order to prevent a stretch
of railway from further flooding.
Network Rail is contributing £350,000 to the cost of restoring part of
the Derby and Sandiacre Canal."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-55016473

More good news.

--
Regards,

Martin Nicholas.

E-mail: reply-...@mgn.org.uk (Address will be valid throughout
November).

I'm a fan of the free and open internet - what's wrong with me?

Harriet Bazley

Nov 24, 2020, 3:30:10 PM11/24/20
On 24 Nov 2020 as I do recall,
Martin Nicholas wrote:

> "An historical canal is set to be restored in order to prevent a stretch
> of railway from further flooding.
> Network Rail is contributing £350,000 to the cost of restoring part of
> the Derby and Sandiacre Canal."
>
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-55016473

Interesting - I was a bit confused by the announcement that they plan to
*raise* the canal (and its banks) by three feet in order to prevent
water flooding the railway line!

It's awkward that they have managed to improve the habitat so much prior
to full restoration that they have already acquired a number of water
vole burrows: https://www.derbycanal.org.uk/draycott/

--
Harriet Bazley == Loyaulte me lie ==

A chicken is an egg's way of producing more eggs.