Pontcysyllte Aqueduct Restoration book

cwal...@sunwave.net

Mar 9, 2005, 4:28:53 AM3/9/05
I ordered this book before Christmas. Have had several emails from the
author (richard turner thomas) claiming it has been published, almost
published, getting closer to being published. I am across the pond.

Has anyone in the UK actually seen this book yet? Is this legit?

Cheers,
Chris
ex NB Ottersholt

Martin Wilson

Mar 9, 2005, 5:51:00 AM3/9/05

<cwal...@sunwave.net> wrote in message

I've had exactly the same experience within the UK.

My last communication was on 6th Feb when it was claimed to be "very close
to being
shipped to me".

As to legitimacy, I have no information. Presumably credit card issuer and
possibly PayPal would cover a refund if necessary. The author himself
offered a refund 2 weeks before Christmas because of 'unforseen delays'.

--

MartinTW

Remove the SKY to reply.

Brian

Mar 9, 2005, 6:55:16 AM3/9/05

"Martin Wilson" <cutt...@SKYblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> <cwal...@sunwave.net> wrote in message
>> I ordered this book before Christmas. Have had several emails from the
>> author (richard turner thomas) claiming it has been published, almost
>> published, getting closer to being published. I am across the pond.
>>
>> Has anyone in the UK actually seen this book yet? Is this legit?
>

> I've had exactly the same experience within the UK.
>
> My last communication was on 6th Feb when it was claimed to be "very close
> to being
> shipped to me".

Mine has not arrived yet, I payed by cheque, I will look to see if its been
cashed

--
Brian Ancient Order of Sewer Ants> Remove the SKY to reply.

Mike H

Mar 9, 2005, 7:48:42 AM3/9/05
Brian wrote:
> "Martin Wilson" <cutt...@SKYblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>><cwal...@sunwave.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>I ordered this book before Christmas. Have had several emails from the
>>>author (richard turner thomas) claiming it has been published, almost
>>>published, getting closer to being published. I am across the pond.
>>>
>>>Has anyone in the UK actually seen this book yet? Is this legit?
>>

>>I've had exactly the same experience within the UK.
>>
>>My last communication was on 6th Feb when it was claimed to be "very close
>>to being
>>shipped to me".
>>

> Mine has not arrived yet, I payed by cheque, I will look to see if its been
> cashed

Richard is a friend of mine and I can assure you that both he and the
book are genuine. Those of you who went to last years GiG will probably
have met Richard and his large dog Bob. I've just been in contact with
him, having read these posts, and he informs me the book is on its way
over to the UK from the printer in Europe, and should be with him this
week sometime.

Mike Hughes
nb Tess of Wootton

Andrew Denny

Mar 9, 2005, 8:26:24 AM3/9/05
> Those of you who went to last years GiG will probably
> have met Richard and his large dog Bob.

Perhaps Bob ate his homework.

I ordered too, and got a confirmatory email so I know the order went
through. Then I completely forgot about it. Haven't even checked my
credit card statement - I pay all my monthly bills by direct debit. No
wonder I've always got too much month left at the end of my money.

Brian

Mar 9, 2005, 9:37:26 AM3/9/05

"Mike H" <mikeDOTfronATbtinternetDOTcom> wrote in message

> Brian wrote:
>> "Martin Wilson" <cutt...@SKYblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>>><cwal...@sunwave.net> wrote in message

> Richard is a friend of mine and I can assure you that both he and the book
> are genuine. Those of you who went to last years GiG will probably have
> met Richard and his large dog Bob. I've just been in contact with him,
> having read these posts, and he informs me the book is on its way over to
> the UK from the printer in Europe, and should be with him this week
> sometime.

Thanks for that, I met the dog but not the man

Molly Mockford

Mar 9, 2005, 3:37:36 PM3/9/05
At 12:48:42 on Wed, 9 Mar 2005, Mike H
<mikeDOTfronATbtinternetDOTcom@?.?.invalid> wrote in
<111037252...@nnrp-t71-02.news.clara.net>:

>Richard is a friend of mine and I can assure you that both he and the
>book are genuine. Those of you who went to last years GiG will probably
>have met Richard and his large dog Bob. I've just been in contact with
>him, having read these posts, and he informs me the book is on its way
>over to the UK from the printer in Europe, and should be with him this
>week sometime.

I met Richard at the GIG, a meeting which resulted in my doing the web
site for his book. I think the main trouble has been that, Richard
being a thoroughly nice guy and this being his first venture into
publishing, he made the mistake of believing the dates that the printers
gave him, rather than taking them with a pinch of salt. No doubt if he
ever writes another book he will be much more cynical and won't market
it until the printed copies are actually in his possession; but,
believe me, the book will come, and will be worth it.

I read his first proofs and did a bit of proof-correction, and
thoroughly enjoyed what I read even though that sort of nit-picking
reading isn't conducive to enjoyment. Wait until you read about Big
Bob, all alone aboard, trying to pilot Richard's narrowboat across the
stopped aqueduct!
--
Molly Mockford
deserve neither liberty nor safety - Benjamin Franklin

Allan Jones

Mar 9, 2005, 3:50:55 PM3/9/05
<cwal...@sunwave.net> wrote in message

Digressing only slightly; I keep reading/hearing that there are going to be
dozens of different events scheduled throughout the year to celebrate the
bicentenary. Does anyone know where there is a programme of these events?
--
Allan Jones - N/B 'Keeping Up'
http://www.keeping-up.co.uk

lessy...@aol.com

Mar 10, 2005, 2:55:17 AM3/10/05
Hi Allan....Things cick off with a presentation at Wrexham on 17th
March. It was to be delivered by Adam Hart Davis, but Dan Cruikshank
has stepped in due to Dan's illness, and it's entitled 'Building
Miracles', centering on the construction of the aqueduct. Contact
www.wrexhamsf.com
There are numerous events organised and your best bet for further
information would be to contact the Shropshire Union Canal Society,
whose secretary, press & publicity department are at ha...@ostw.co.uk
their website is at www.shropshireunion.org.uk

Mike H

Mar 10, 2005, 4:11:06 AM3/10/05
to Allan Jones
Allan Jones wrote:

> Digressing only slightly; I keep reading/hearing that there are going to be
> dozens of different events scheduled throughout the year to celebrate the
> bicentenary. Does anyone know where there is a programme of these events?

We picked up a flyer from our local pub "The Aqueduct Inn" which lists
the events throughout the year, not sure where they came from (maybe
Wrexham Tourist Information Centre ?). BW seem to have the events listed
on Waterscape (watch the wrap)

http://www.waterscape.com/search/eventsdiarysearchresults.jsp?lsWaterway=Llangollen+Canal&type=Event

HTH

Mike H