winching aroung Parbold leak

Nick Wedd

Aug 5, 2003, 1:19:53 PM8/5/03
Yesterday we had a very smooth crossing of the Ribble, from Preston to
Tarleton. We are now moored in Tarleton, awaiting winching past the
dewatered part of the Leeds and Liverpool. We would really like to get
to Manchester by August 14th.

We have been told that winching sessions are arranged for every Saturday
in August, and we are booked to be winched on 22nd (which of course
means that we will miss our appointment in Manchester.) All fair
enough, so far.

Now yesterday, we heard a couple of rumours: (1) the winching session
for 9th has been cancelled because of lack of water; (2) the winching
session for 9th has been cancelled because of lack of interest.

Now, rumour 2 is false. We are interested, most of the other
narrowboats currently stuck in Tarleton are interested. And rumour 1
does not make much sense: each boat winched out of Tarleton means the
loss of the equivalent of a mere 20 cubic yards of water, and I don't
think that that is what BWB can be concerned about.

My guess is that the two rumours can be explained as follows:
BWB believes that the boats requiring winching will be trying to get to
Tarleton from Burscough, by travelling down the Rufford Arm; and they
won't be able to manage it because the upper pounds of the Rufford Arm
are running out of water as they aren't getting any from the now empty
main line of the Leeds and Liverpool. Therefore there is a lack of
demand for winching this Saturday, caused by lack of water.

We have spoken to a couple of BWB employees, but I don't think either of
them had the full picture. Does anyone know what is really going on?

Nick
--
Nick Wedd ni...@maproom.co.uk

Ken Fairhurst

Aug 5, 2003, 11:09:23 PM8/5/03
> Yesterday we had a very smooth crossing of the Ribble, from Preston to
> Tarleton. We are now moored in Tarleton, awaiting winching past the
> dewatered part of the Leeds and Liverpool. We would really like to get
> to Manchester by August 14th.
>
> We have been told that winching sessions are arranged for every Saturday
> in August, and we are booked to be winched on 22nd (which of course
> means that we will miss our appointment in Manchester.) All fair
> enough, so far.

The winching sessions are arranged for each Friday in August, not Saturday.

> Now yesterday, we heard a couple of rumours: (1) the winching session
> for 9th has been cancelled because of lack of water; (2) the winching
> session for 9th has been cancelled because of lack of interest.

There may be lack of interest, but BW will crane out one boat if that is all
that is required.
The Rufford Branch has been filled at the expense of the main line, at
Lydiate we are 18" down, our boat is now 5' out from the bank and we are
running out of gang-plank.

> Now, rumour 2 is false. We are interested, most of the other
> narrowboats currently stuck in Tarleton are interested. And rumour 1
> does not make much sense: each boat winched out of Tarleton means the
> loss of the equivalent of a mere 20 cubic yards of water, and I don't
> think that that is what BWB can be concerned about.

Go to the boatyard where you are moored and ask what is happening, they are
the people who are craning out at Tarleton.

> My guess is that the two rumours can be explained as follows:
> BWB believes that the boats requiring winching will be trying to get to
> Tarleton from Burscough, by travelling down the Rufford Arm; and they
> won't be able to manage it because the upper pounds of the Rufford Arm
> are running out of water as they aren't getting any from the now empty
> main line of the Leeds and Liverpool. Therefore there is a lack of
> demand for winching this Saturday, caused by lack of water.

Boats from Burscough do not have to travel to Tarleton, the canal is in
water there and the craning out point at Lathom is only 10 mins. from
Burscough.

> We have spoken to a couple of BWB employees, but I don't think either of
> them had the full picture. Does anyone know what is really going on?

> Nick Wedd ni...@maproom.co.uk

Again check at Harry Mayors, if there is a problem there you could travel up
to Lathom as the craning in/out is definately taking place there.

ATB Ken. http://www.ukcanals.net http://www.mmbc.biz

Andrew J Instone-Cowie

Aug 6, 2003, 1:59:58 AM8/6/03
On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 03:09:23 +0000 (UTC), "Ken Fairhurst"
<ukca...@btinternet.com> wrote:

>The Rufford Branch has been filled at the expense of the main line, at
>Lydiate we are 18" down, our boat is now 5' out from the bank and we are
>running out of gang-plank.

Presumably BW only fill the branch when boats are expected through? I
passed by that way last evening and the pounds by the Ship Inn were
empty.

Andrew

===================================
Address in news headers is not read
Reply to andrewATdatagramDOTcoDOTuk
-----------------------------------
nb 'Regal Suki'
===================================

Vic and June

Aug 6, 2003, 4:22:18 PM8/6/03
>Tarleton. We are now moored in Tarleton, awaiting winching past the
>dewatered part of the Leeds and Liverpool.

Fasinating are they going to get a long steel cable and drag you up the dry
canal??

Clogdancer on a fat boat. Abandoned the north to explore the other half before
it sinks.

Debbie Bashford

Aug 6, 2003, 4:43:50 PM8/6/03

"Vic and June" <vhyd...@aol.com-no-spam> wrote in message

> >Tarleton. We are now moored in Tarleton, awaiting winching past the
> >dewatered part of the Leeds and Liverpool.
>
> Fasinating are they going to get a long steel cable and drag you up the
dry
> canal??

Must admit, that was my first thought as well........

Debbie

Ken Fairhurst

Aug 6, 2003, 8:27:29 PM8/6/03

"Andrew J Instone-Cowie" <address-...@datagram.co.uk> wrote in message

> On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 03:09:23 +0000 (UTC), "Ken Fairhurst"
> <ukca...@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
> >The Rufford Branch has been filled at the expense of the main line, at
> >Lydiate we are 18" down, our boat is now 5' out from the bank and we are
> >running out of gang-plank.
>
> Presumably BW only fill the branch when boats are expected through? I
> passed by that way last evening and the pounds by the Ship Inn were
> empty.
>
> Andrew

Thanks for that info Andrew, we were led to believe that the Rufford Branch
had been filled at the expense of the main line, however BW have started to
fill the main line, they have apparently put in a bung somewhere in the
Melling area and are pumping water in from the River Alt, we have already
risen 2" in the day, BW said that we should be back to normal by the week
end, presumably the Rufford Branch will be filled also.

ATB Ken nb Onthebottom

Nick Wedd

Aug 10, 2003, 9:54:25 AM8/10/03
Well, now we have been craned. I thought I would comment on it.

Vaughan Jones is working very hard to organise the cranage, and make
everything go smoothly. He is also very good-humoured about what must
be a difficult and unwelcome addition to his normal work. I would like
to thank him.

We were not craned to "the top of Wigan flight" as I had thought, but to
the White Bear boatyard which is about six miles north of the top of the
flight. This came as a surprise to me. I had read that the destination
was "the top of Wigan Flight", and my out-of-date Nicholsons shows that
there is a boatyard there, so that is where I drove. There is no
boatyard there now, and of course our boat was not there. I therefore
drove north, meandering about so as to cross the canal as often as
possible, and had the good fortune to spot the crane in Adlington.

They did not use "spreader bars", in the sense in which I understand
them. To lift the boat, there were two straps around the hull, the ends
of each strap meeting each other at point quite a way above the boat.
This causes compression to the boat, and warping of the hull. It did
little obvious damage (a couple of internal partitions needed
re-seating), but we fear that it may have caused the windows to leak, as
it did last time we were craned. There is no need for this - if the two
ends of each lifting strap can be braced apart, then the only force
applied to the boat is vertical lift, and the hull is not squeezed.

Despite the above two complaints (the former of them due entirely to my
own stupidity), I was very pleased with the whole exercise, and am
grateful to BWB and to Vaughan Jones in particular.

Chris Kelly

Aug 10, 2003, 3:22:34 PM8/10/03
We to were craned out on Friday last from Tarleton where they certainly did
use spreader bars to ensure the slings stayed well apart. We did not see the
boat go back in at White Bear as we were stuck in a fraffic jam caused by a
wagon with a narrowboat on its trailer., White Bear was the site specified
on the web site for the craning to occur. Top of Wigan was never mentioned
as far as I can recall. Any how all seemed to have gone well with no
breakages, and following the torrents of rain experienced going up the
Ashton flight today none of our windows leak.

I can only add my thanks to those already stated that BW and Vaughan
espeacially worked very hard to get us round the breach and home as quickly
as possible. It is however a shame that BWs roving lock keepers on the Wigan
flight were not as dilligent, the only one we saw roved off in his van and
was never seen again leaving my wife and myself to work the flight on our
own in the baking sun.

Nick Wedd

Aug 11, 2003, 6:13:31 AM8/11/03
In message <bh661q$1rv$1...@titan.btinternet.com>, Chris Kelly
<c.n....@btinternet.com> writes

>We to were craned out on Friday last from Tarleton where they certainly did
>use spreader bars to ensure the slings stayed well apart.

Yes, they used spreader bars to ensure the slings stayed well apart.
They did not use struts (maybe spreader bars is the wrong term) to
ensure that the two ends of one sling stayed well apart. This is what
is needed to avoid squeezing of the hull.

canalman

Aug 12, 2003, 6:56:34 AM8/12/03
Nick Wedd <ni...@maproom.co.uk> wrote in message news:<nBaaNzOLx2N$EA...@maproom.demon.co.uk>...

Boats should be lifted on a cradle as a matter of course.

If any damage was done to your boat by lifting on strops without a
cradle, I would think you have grounds for a claim.

Tony
getting stroppy on the Basy

Nick Wedd

Aug 12, 2003, 9:23:19 AM8/12/03
In message <17162e1b.03081...@posting.google.com>, canalman
<hellp...@aol.com> writes
>Nick Wedd <ni...@maproom.co.uk> wrote in message news:<nBaaNzOLx2N$EAYE@

>maproom.demon.co.uk>...
>> In message <bh661q$1rv$1...@titan.btinternet.com>, Chris Kelly
>> <c.n....@btinternet.com> writes
>> >We to were craned out on Friday last from Tarleton where they certainly did
>> >use spreader bars to ensure the slings stayed well apart.
>>
>> Yes, they used spreader bars to ensure the slings stayed well apart.
>> They did not use struts (maybe spreader bars is the wrong term) to
>> ensure that the two ends of one sling stayed well apart. This is what
>> is needed to avoid squeezing of the hull.
>>
>> Nick
>
>Boats should be lifted on a cradle as a matter of course.
>
>If any damage was done to your boat by lifting on strops without a
>cradle, I would think you have grounds for a claim.

Some slight damage was done, I have repaired most of it already. When
it next rains, we may find that some of the windows have started
leaking. If so, I will have to unscrew them, clean them, and re-mastic
them. Tedious, but no big deal really.

I have no intention of suing BWB. But I would like them to get this
right next time they do some craning. I don't think a cradle is
necessary - just a thing like a large palette, fixed between the two
fore-and-aft-running spreader bars to force them to be the boat's width
apart, would avoid most of the damage.

WRONG: |

/ \
| |
| |
/ \
| |
| |
/ \
| |
| |
/ \
| |
| |
/ \
| |
| |
/ \
| |
| |
/ \
| XXXXXXXXXXXX |
|X X|
/ X X \
| X X |
| X X |
XXX XXX boat squeezed at this point
X X
X X
X X
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

RIGHT: |

/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \
|===============| lifting cables kept apart by struts here
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| XXXXXXXXXXX |
| X X |
| X X |
| X X |
| X X |
XXX XXX lifting force is vertical, no squeezing
X X
X X
X X
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

canalman

Aug 12, 2003, 7:16:29 PM8/12/03
Nick Wedd <ni...@maproom.co.uk> wrote in message news:<M8qAC$ZHpOO$EA...@maproom.demon.co.uk>...

Absolutely!!

And you'd think by now BW should know that!!!!

Tony
Cradling the last of the water on the Basy

which might be the only way of getting on or off here until next year
the way the drought is going