Download Greasemonkey For Chrome

Garnett Hemann

Jan 7, 2024, 2:58:22 PMJan 7
There is no greasemonkey extension for google chrome. What actually happened is chromium (the project which google chrome is based) developed it's own extension system and one component of that extension mechanism (probably inspired heavily by greasemonkey in the first place) works in almost exactly the same way (an external javascript interacting with a page purely through it's DOM) as greasemonkey. The chromium system uses a completely different api but effectively does the same thing. This large overlap in purpose and functionality combined with the popularity of greasemonkey on firefox meant they decided to implement the greasemonkey api (the majority of it anyway) natively within chromium. From there they went one step further and had the browser automatically wrap any greasemonkey scripts inside a chromium extension automatically and effectively made greasemonkey scripts a first class citizen.

download greasemonkey for chrome

DOWNLOAD https://1scarsenterpse.blogspot.com/?jx=2x4HzM

For example, if the only line in my userscript is alert(x);, should that work as expected (assuming x is a String)? I understand chrome doesn't support unsafewindow, but for some reason I'm finding it impossible to figure out how to mimic the functionality. Is it even possible?

However, when using a Firefox addon RSS aggregator like Brief or Newsfox, the userscript is not applied. It shows No installed scripts run on this page in the GM context menu despite the script being set with an included pages value of * and activating on all normal web pages. I also tried explicitly specifying the addon URL in case * doesn't actually handle potentially unexpected URL schemes like chrome://, but it remained inactive.

My suspicion is that Greasemonkey is disabled for chrome:// URLs, perhaps for security reasons due to them having much more relaxed security than a typical web page. Or perhaps some kind of sandboxing is taking place. Is there any way I can accomplish what I want without having to resort to a web proxy with content adaptation?

Since Page A and Page B(1&2) reside on different servers, this

obviously violates the same origin policy, so its not possible from

within the Javascrip Shell or similar.

But as I understand, this should be no problem for Greasemonkey (it

runs with chrome-privileges, right?).But I simply dont get it to work :-)

-----------

Question:

So my question can be divided into two:

1. Is this possible?

2 if 1. = true: How?I played around with this topic for days now and read alot on the net

(and of course searched the forum first), but either I picked the

wrong search terms or I am missing something really #-)

-----------

Possible solution found:

The only thing close to a solution I could find were two scripts, on

sets a kind of mutex from Page A with GM_setValue and the other one

(running on page B) constantly polls the value with GM_getValue and

reacts if it is set. With a little tweaking I should be able to solve

it this way, but I still dont understand, why I get

uncaught exception: Permission denied to get property

HTMLDocument.whateverproperty

error with every approach I tried.greetings to al Greasemonkey out there,

Broselp.s.: "script" always refers to a Greasemonkey User Script in this

mail. There are no "nonGM"-scripts on the Pages A and B.p.p.s.:Thanks a lot to everyone who could enlighten me. I feel so dumb

right now... (Even telling me it is not possible AND why would be a

great relief to my tormented mind.

And its very, hmm, "intensive", esp. with multiple cross-site Pages

(see above, GMail,gmx, etc.)I also tried an approach with document.domain an "tld", but it only

works in older (non-fixed) FFs (and so, doesnt really count as a

solution).But as I dont like polling, your way should be the way ;-)Do you think it could be possible that the fact that Page B needs

https could be the problem with about:blank?

Either a secuity issue (I read your post and you say somethin about

the right protocoll) or a wrongly manufactured Form (I try it with

using "tamper" now).I will play aroun some more and let you know.a nice day,

broselp.s.: I found something about signed UserScripts (=chrome privileged);

will read it more carefully, but I think its only for real extensions.

If yes: Could you give a sample code to read e.g. the first and second line of a text file fromD:\myproj\greaseparm.txtand assign them to the greasemonkey script variablesvar first = ....

and

var second = ....Thank you

Ben

As I mentioned above, Chrome now let you install extension directly from Chrome Web store only and to install 3rd party extension, here is a quick work around. The solution is pretty simple and all you need to do is, download the 3rd party extension, greasemonkey script or any other script that you need to install.

I have tried and tasted this by Installing greasemonkey extension and it worked fine. This trick will also work for any 3rd party chrome extensions outside Chrome Web store. Another work around to install and manage greasemonkey user script in Chrome browser is by using TemperMonkey chrome extension and it will work great too.

I'm not familiar with Tampermonkey. Looks like it's a tool for creating userscript (greasemonkey) scripts. We don't teach that tool, so I'm afraid I won't be able to assist you with any problems specific to Tampermonkey.

I stand corrected about it not working in Chrome as an userscript however, If you want to check if an user have greasemonkey or any other userscript engine installed you can do it when the user press the install button as per this example:

var linkPressed = false;window.onbeforeunload = function()if(linkPressed)alert('your browser dosnt seem to have any userscript compability');linkPressed = false; //reset so we dont show this message if user leaves this page.return false; //block user from going to the scriptInstall

This script works by checking the the page is about to be unloaded, because if it is there's no userscript capabilities of the users browser then the page would be unloaded whereas if you had greasemonkey installed or running on chrome the extension or browser would stop the page from ever unloading when a user clicks a userscript install link.

35fe9a5643