Is there anybody there?

7 views
Skip to first unread message

Sir Tim

unread,
Jul 1, 2021, 1:26:38 PM7/1/21
to
During my boating years on “Lady Elgar” this newsgroup used to be required
reading for all residential boaters and it was common to meet ng
contributors whilst out cruising. This ng, like most of Usenet now seems
sadly depleted. Where has everybody gone? To web forums I suppose.

--
Trevor Pavitt
ex Lady Elgar
Author “Living the Dream”

John Williamson

unread,
Jul 1, 2021, 1:40:05 PM7/1/21
to
On 01/07/2021 18:26, Sir Tim wrote:
> During my boating years on “Lady Elgar” this newsgroup used to be required
> reading for all residential boaters and it was common to meet ng
> contributors whilst out cruising. This ng, like most of Usenet now seems
> sadly depleted. Where has everybody gone? To web forums I suppose.
>
Nope, there's nobody here, we have all migrated to Facebook. ;-)

There are groups there for residential boaters, narrowboat users,
Narrowboat Moaners and Rnters, Narrowboat gloaters and ravers,
continuous cruisers, a few for boaters in and around London, Bath
Birmingham...

12 volt boaters, technical help, where to find the fuel boats...

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Martin Nicholas

unread,
Jul 1, 2021, 1:53:05 PM7/1/21
to
On 1 Jul 2021 17:26:36 GMT
Sir Tim <no_e...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> During my boating years on “Lady Elgar” this newsgroup used to be
> required reading for all residential boaters and it was common to
> meet ng contributors whilst out cruising. This ng, like most of
> Usenet now seems sadly depleted. Where has everybody gone? To web
> forums I suppose.
>

I'm not here either.

--
Regards,

Martin Nicholas.

E-mail: reply-...@mgn.org.uk (Address will be valid throughout
July).

If you ever get invited to a free lunch ... you are the lunch.

John Williamson

unread,
Jul 1, 2021, 2:11:45 PM7/1/21
to
On 01/07/2021 18:53, Martin Nicholas wrote:
> On 1 Jul 2021 17:26:36 GMT
> Sir Tim <no_e...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> During my boating years on “Lady Elgar” this newsgroup used to be
>> required reading for all residential boaters and it was common to
>> meet ng contributors whilst out cruising. This ng, like most of
>> Usenet now seems sadly depleted. Where has everybody gone? To web
>> forums I suppose.
>>
>
> I'm not here either.
>
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

When I came home last night at three
The man was waiting there for me
But when I looked around the hall
I couldn't see him there at all!
Go away, go away, don't you come back any more!
Go away, go away, and please don't slam the door... (slam!)

Last night I saw upon the stair
A little man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
Oh, how I wish he'd go away...

Copyright info
Antigonish [I met a man who wasn't there]
Hughes Mearns

Chris Green

unread,
Jul 1, 2021, 2:18:04 PM7/1/21
to
The trouble is that you really can't discuss on Facebook (or web
forums). It's *so* much easier to have a proper, threaded, back and
forth discussion here.

...not to mention that if I want to ask a question about 'how do you
xyz with a bilge pump' it's general to just about any boating group so
specialised groups are pretty useless.

Have you gathered - I don't like forums or facebook! :-)

--
Chris Green
·

Chris Green

unread,
Jul 1, 2021, 2:18:04 PM7/1/21
to
Sir Tim <no_e...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> During my boating years on “Lady Elgar” this newsgroup used to be required
> reading for all residential boaters and it was common to meet ng
> contributors whilst out cruising. This ng, like most of Usenet now seems
> sadly depleted. Where has everybody gone? To web forums I suppose.
>
What web forums? :-)

I'm still here and will happily talk boats here.

--
Chris Green
·

Sir Tim

unread,
Jul 1, 2021, 2:56:05 PM7/1/21
to
John Williamson <johnwil...@btinternet.com> wrote:
> On 01/07/2021 18:26, Sir Tim wrote:
>> During my boating years on “Lady Elgar” this newsgroup used to be required
>> reading for all residential boaters and it was common to meet ng
>> contributors whilst out cruising. This ng, like most of Usenet now seems
>> sadly depleted. Where has everybody gone? To web forums I suppose.
>>
> Nope, there's nobody here, we have all migrated to Facebook. ;-)

Thanks, in that case I won’t be joining you - I refuse to help Zuckerberg
steal and misuse our data.


--
Trevor

MB

unread,
Jul 2, 2021, 9:18:28 AM7/2/21
to
On 01/07/2021 19:10, Chris Green wrote:
> The trouble is that you really can't discuss on Facebook (or web
> forums). It's*so* much easier to have a proper, threaded, back and
> forth discussion here.

I have never used Facebook and almost certainly never will. Mainly
because it is only visible to other Facebook uses and you have to
register with them (i.e. give all your details) to be able to read it.

I get annoyed when someone just gives a link to Facebook but of course
you cannot then open it without registering.

The people on there do not understand usually that it is a little
private world and not part of the WWW but perhaps that is what they want.



Sir Tim

unread,
Jul 2, 2021, 10:09:30 AM7/2/21
to
+1

--
Sir Tim

Julian Macassey

unread,
Jul 2, 2021, 1:39:05 PM7/2/21
to
On Thu, 1 Jul 2021 19:10:17 +0100, Chris Green <c...@isbd.net> wrote:
> John Williamson <johnwil...@btinternet.com> wrote:
>> On 01/07/2021 18:26, Sir Tim wrote:
>> > During my boating years on “Lady Elgar” this newsgroup used to be required
>> > reading for all residential boaters and it was common to meet ng
>> > contributors whilst out cruising. This ng, like most of Usenet now seems
>> > sadly depleted. Where has everybody gone? To web forums I suppose.
>> >
>> Nope, there's nobody here, we have all migrated to Facebook. ;-)
>>
>> There are groups there for residential boaters, narrowboat users,
>> Narrowboat Moaners and Rnters, Narrowboat gloaters and ravers,
>> continuous cruisers, a few for boaters in and around London, Bath
>> Birmingham...
>>
>> 12 volt boaters, technical help, where to find the fuel boats...
>>
> The trouble is that you really can't discuss on Facebook (or web
> forums). It's *so* much easier to have a proper, threaded, back and
> forth discussion here.

Very true.

>
> ...not to mention that if I want to ask a question about 'how do you
> xyz with a bilge pump' it's general to just about any boating group so
> specialised groups are pretty useless.

I am proud of the fact that I fought thye endless
splitting of usnet groups. rec.knives to rec.kives.sharp,
rec.knives.blunt, rec.knives.long, etc. etc. I was called a
Luddite.

"Are you on social media?" "Yes of course I am I have been
since 1988."



>
> Have you gathered - I don't like forums or facebook! :-)

I agree.


--
Facebook. The redneck bar of the Internet. Helping ignorance,
bigotry and superstition thrive.

Julian Macassey

unread,
Jul 2, 2021, 1:44:27 PM7/2/21
to
On Fri, 2 Jul 2021 14:19:00 +0100, MB <M...@nospam.net> wrote:
> On 01/07/2021 19:10, Chris Green wrote:
>> The trouble is that you really can't discuss on Facebook (or web
>> forums). It's*so* much easier to have a proper, threaded, back and
>> forth discussion here.
>
> I have never used Facebook and almost certainly never will. Mainly
> because it is only visible to other Facebook uses and you have to
> register with them (i.e. give all your details) to be able to read it.

Which is not what the internet is all about.
>
> I get annoyed when someone just gives a link to Facebook but of course
> you cannot then open it without registering.
>
> The people on there do not understand usually that it is a little
> private world and not part of the WWW but perhaps that is what they want.

Talking to facebook users, most have no idea that it is a
private enterprise. For all to many it is the only access to the
internet they have and they are poorer for that.

MB

unread,
Jul 3, 2021, 4:25:05 AM7/3/21
to
On 02/07/2021 18:44, Julian Macassey wrote:
> Talking to facebook users, most have no idea that it is a
> private enterprise. For all to many it is the only access to the
> internet they have and they are poorer for that.

And that it is effectively a closed group not available to everyone.

I remember a news article many years ago where some praised Facebook and
how it allowed their family to keep in touch. All the features that
were mentioned were easily available outside Facebook - EMail, sharing
pictures .......

Sir Tim

unread,
Jul 3, 2021, 5:20:46 AM7/3/21
to
I am quite prepared to concede that Facebook has been a power for the good
in uniting families and re-establishing old friendships. Also many people
enjoy it. But for me all this is far outweighed by the fact that FB’s
earnings are mainly derived from the sale of data which it has
surreptitiously acquired from each and every FB user and which can be used
by commercial organizations and political parties to target “persuadables”
with extreme accuracy.

I know this makes me sound like a conspiracy theorist but I believe it is a
genuine threat to democracy.

Also I know how much time I would waste if I were ever to join FB :-)

--
Sir Tim

ChrisND @UKRW

unread,
Jul 3, 2021, 12:08:58 PM7/3/21
to
The biggest problem is just that fb is so *easy* - that's how it sucks
everyone in...

--
http://www.Deuchars.co.uk
Author & Publisher: "A Boaters Guide to BOATING"
Mixing old and new waterway techniques. ISBN 9780953151202
Details: http://www.deuchars.co.uk/publication/

Chris Green

unread,
Jul 3, 2021, 12:33:03 PM7/3/21
to
ChrisND @UKRW <chr...@privacy.net> wrote:
> On 03/07/2021 09:25, MB wrote:
> > On 02/07/2021 18:44, Julian Macassey wrote:
> >>     Talking to facebook users, most have no idea that it is a
> >> private enterprise. For all to many it is the only access to the
> >> internet they have and they are poorer for that.
> >
> > And that it is effectively a closed group not available to everyone.
> >
> > I remember a news article many years ago where some praised Facebook and
> > how it allowed their family to keep in touch.  All the features that
> > were mentioned were easily available outside Facebook - EMail, sharing
> > pictures .......
>
> The biggest problem is just that fb is so *easy* - that's how it sucks
> everyone in...
>
I've really never understood this. It's far from easy compared with
E-Mail (or usenet). You have to navigate to wherever it is you want
to see messages, log in, etc.

With E-Mail or Usenet you just start a program and there are all your
new messages.

I'm on 60+ mailing lists and watch 50 newsgroups, there's absolutely
no way I could cope with the same sort of numbers of Facebook groups
or other forums on the web.

--
Chris Green
·

Julian Macassey

unread,
Jul 3, 2021, 5:15:49 PM7/3/21
to
On 3 Jul 2021 09:20:45 GMT, Sir Tim <no_e...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> MB <M...@nospam.net> wrote:
>> On 02/07/2021 18:44, Julian Macassey wrote:
>>> Talking to facebook users, most have no idea that it is a
>>> private enterprise. For all to many it is the only access to the
>>> internet they have and they are poorer for that.
>>
>> And that it is effectively a closed group not available to everyone.
>>
>> I remember a news article many years ago where some praised Facebook and
>> how it allowed their family to keep in touch. All the features that
>> were mentioned were easily available outside Facebook - EMail, sharing
>> pictures .......
>>
> I am quite prepared to concede that Facebook has been a power for the good
> in uniting families and re-establishing old friendships.

I have used the Internet for this, for decades. I still
use seach engines, e-mail etc. to stay in touch, find people and
yes information, I use e-mail for communications and even setting
up appointments.

> Also many people enjoy it.

Many people enjoy reality TV too.

> I know this makes me sound like a conspiracy theorist but I believe it is a
> genuine threat to democracy.

Not a conspiracy theory. Facebook has contempt for
democracy - See Cambridge Analytica etc.

--
"i have over 4000 emails, pictures, addresses, sms... people just submitted
it. i don't know why. they 'trust me.' dumb fucks" - Mark Zuckerberg

Nicholas D. Richards

unread,
Jul 23, 2021, 5:09:57 AM7/23/21
to
In article <lvf6rh-0...@esprimo.zbmc.eu>, Chris Green <c...@isbd.net>
on Sat, 3 Jul 2021 at 17:31:17 awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and
wrote
The problem is that usenet does not create an income for anyone (by
design). Therefore no incentive to spread the good news. Additionally
social media appear to be totally amoral.

Once we moved into exchange servers then commercial organisations (eg
microŁoft) started to make a profit from e-mail, by fees and fcljner.

We know how easy usenet and e-mail is to use, with the right software,
however most people only know about mirosoft/google/chrome products.

These days we are only talking to the believers.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Oů sont les neiges d'antan?"

Nicholas D. Richards

unread,
Jul 23, 2021, 5:20:59 AM7/23/21
to
In article <ik6c6c...@mid.individual.net>, Sir Tim
<no_e...@invalid.invalid> on Thu, 1 Jul 2021 at 17:26:36 awoke
Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>During my boating years on “Lady Elgar” this newsgroup used to be required
>reading for all residential boaters and it was common to meet ng
>contributors whilst out cruising. This ng, like most of Usenet now seems
>sadly depleted. Where has everybody gone? To web forums I suppose.
>
One problem with usenet was its ease of use. Trolls could destroy a
group, sometimes very useful and addictive groups, normal users
eventually stopped bothering to 'follow' these heavily trolled groups.

--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages