Narrowboat lettering - font needed!

Molly

Jun 14, 2002, 2:43:46 PM6/14/02
It's a bit of a long shot, but does anybody happen to know of a font
which resembles classic narrowboat lettering? Failing that, can anyone
recommend a specific standard font (which I can then manipulate to add
the 3-D drop shadows and such)? Most lettering I have seen seems to
have strong serifs, which is not a problem, but some have interesting
extra serifs half-way up the verticals, which is a feature I've never
seen elsewhere.
--
Molly

If I'd known I'd be this thirsty this morning, I'd have drunk more last night.

phil speight

Jun 14, 2002, 6:04:54 PM6/14/02
The fancy font with with the extra curly bits you`ve seen
is probably "Tuscan ". It was sometimes found on the
more extravagantly decorated trading boats - particularly
( I think ) on number one horse - boats. A much simplified form is often
seen on water-cans etc.- Frank
Nurser certainly used it on some of his cans.
"Classic " boat lettering Must ,I suppose,derive from
the signwriting on working boats . The problem is that
they were not usually written by trained writers , so they
had an uncultured and informal style which is hard to
replicate using a formal font.The ideal seems to be a mix
of heavily serifed letters on one line with " signwriters
sans-serif" on another.I`ve always thought that Tuscan
is best used sparingly , perhaps for any secondary
lettering between the usual two major lines.That said
it`s your boat - whatever suits you is the best answer!
Cheers
Phil
replicate

"Molly" <nos...@mockfords.clara.co.uk> wrote in message

Molly

Jun 15, 2002, 5:15:45 AM6/15/02
On Fri, 14 Jun 2002, in article <MQtO8.34541$sC4.4...@news6-win.serve
r.ntlworld.com>, phil speight (phil speight

>The fancy font with with the extra curly bits you`ve seen
>is probably "Tuscan ".

(snip)

>That said
>it`s your boat - whatever suits you is the best answer!

I should have made it clear that it's not for a boat (if only I had a
boat!) - it's for Joe's wedding web site. I would like to make the site
title in narrowboat style.

Thanks for the tip - I'll hunt down a copy of Tuscan and see how it
looks. It may indeed be *too* fancy, but it's worth a try.

Steve C

Jun 15, 2002, 10:18:24 AM6/15/02
On Fri, 14 Jun 2002 19:43:46 +0100, Molly
<nos...@mockfords.clara.co.uk> wrote:

>It's a bit of a long shot, but does anybody happen to know of a font
>which resembles classic narrowboat lettering? Failing that, can anyone
>recommend a specific standard font (which I can then manipulate to add
>the 3-D drop shadows and such)? Most lettering I have seen seems to
>have strong serifs, which is not a problem, but some have interesting
>extra serifs half-way up the verticals, which is a feature I've never
>seen elsewhere.

This is a 'kewl' service if you have an image of the font, I've found
it very useful.

http://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/

HTH

Steve

Molly

Jun 15, 2002, 11:52:16 AM6/15/02
On Sat, 15 Jun 2002, in article <fvimgug02dlsvbhqi36ht0vpsfskdng5ku@4ax.
com>, Steve C (Steve C <nn...@nospam.sprill.homechoice.co.uk>) wrote

>This is a 'kewl' service if you have an image of the font, I've found
>it very useful.
>
>http://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/

Yes, it's excellent! Finding an appropriate sample to start with is the
problem - few boats seem to be photographed square-on to the lettering.

However, Jeff Dennison has recommended Vineta, which I think may do the
job very nicely.

Chris N Deuchar

Jun 17, 2002, 8:27:23 AM6/17/02
In article <bFZgk1Bi...@clara.net>, nos...@mockfords.clara.co.uk
says...

> It's a bit of a long shot, but does anybody happen to know of a font
> which resembles classic narrowboat lettering?

Try Brooklyn (=Bookman) Bold

Chris D
--
ch...@deuchars.co.uk http://www.Deuchars.co.uk
Author & Publisher: "A Boaters Guide to BOATING" 4-50GBP

stuart gibbard

Nov 25, 2021, 5:48:23 AM11/25/21
https://www.myfonts.com/tags/tuscan/

This should help :)

ChrisND @UKRW

Nov 25, 2021, 11:56:21 AM11/25/21
Phew - that's going back a bit!
All still true though though tuscan is rare, but not unheard of, in NB
circles.

Chris D

--
http://www.Deuchars.co.uk
Author & Publisher: "A Boaters Guide to BOATING"
Mixing old and new waterway techniques. ISBN 9780953151202
Details: http://www.deuchars.co.uk/publication/