Easiest route to Scafell Pike

1 view

Goatified Creature

May 5, 2010, 3:45:35 PM5/5/10
Currently planning an adhoc ascent of Scafell Pike in a couple of
weekends on the way back from Scotland. We have accomodation at
Elterwater, and am wondering whether the route from Seathwaite /
Corridor Route or from Dungeon Ghyll is tougher? There appears to be a
little more ascent on the Langdale route providing we don't summit
Great End or Bowfell as many of the published routes suggest....

Cheers!!!

Roger Chapman

May 5, 2010, 5:22:44 PM5/5/10
Goatified Creature wrote:

Reminds me of the joke about the stranger in Ireland asking for
directions from a local.

"To be sure Sir, if I was going there I wouldn't start from here."

The easiest way up Scafell Pike is from Wasdale but it is a long drive
from Langdale. Mind you Seathwaite is not exactly close either.

FWIW I first did the walk from Langdale to Scafell Pike and return aged
15 or younger in the 50s. I did it again in the 60s still not fully
recovered from a broken ankle so it isn't a hard walk. I doubt whether I
could manage it these days but I am growing old and decrepit in equal
measure.

Fellwalker

May 6, 2010, 4:40:36 AM5/6/10
On Wed, 5 May 2010 12:45:35 -0700 (PDT), Goatified Creature
<pa...@paulswilliams.me.uk> wrote:

>and am wondering whether the route from Seathwaite /
>Corridor Route or from Dungeon Ghyll is tougher?

Both places are a fair way from Scafell Pike, I remeber the Seathwaite
route being nicer underfoot and avoids crowded Langdale

Better is from Wasdale
"http://www.fellwalk.co.uk/page26.htm"

but you are not in Wasdale :-)
--
Mike "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk"
remove boots to email

John Dawson

May 6, 2010, 8:01:36 AM5/6/10
On Wed, 5 May 2010 12:45:35 -0700 (PDT), Goatified Creature
<pa...@paulswilliams.me.uk> wrote:

You can do a there-and-back walk from the ODG which is about 8.5 km each
way and 1020 m ascent on the way there which (if you use IE, Firefox or
Opera but not Safari or Google Chrome) you can follow, ignoring the Great
End, Esk Pike and Bowfell at:

http://www.lakedistrictwalks.com/maps/scalanos.html

From Seathwaite, via the Corridor route is about 7 km distance and 935 m
ascent ignoring Lingmell and Great End:

http://www.lakedistrictwalks.com/maps/linscaos.html

The Seathwaite route is more enjoyable than the Langdale there-and-back
route IMO as there is an easy alternative route for the return, you only
negotiate the Broad Crag and Ill Crag boulder fields once and you don't
have the unpleasant descent by Rossett Gill. However, driving back from
the southern end of Borrowdale on a busy weekend is awful. For me that
would be the deciding factor. I'd go from Langdale.

HTH

John D.
--
John Dawson at home in Kendal, Cumbria.
Lake District Walks Web Pages http://www.lakedistrictwalks.com/

david

May 6, 2010, 9:24:18 AM5/6/10
Seathwaite is better than Langdale as a start point for Scafell Pike,
more interesting rather than easier.

If I was staying in Elterwater, that would tip the balance to Langdale
for me (but only just).

If I was staying in Elterwater, particularly at a week-end, I wouldn't
go for Scafell Pike. Bowfell and Crinkle Crags, maybe, or the Blea
Rigg ridge to the Langdale Pikes.

But there all good, there are no bad choices.

David

Jhimmy

May 6, 2010, 10:05:25 AM5/6/10

"Goatified Creature" <pa...@paulswilliams.me.uk> wrote in message

From Elterwater it's either Langdale or Eskdale starts unless you want a
long drive to Wast water or Seathewaite.

I'd suggest Eskdale, but this means a drive over Wrynose and Hardknott pass
( not for the faint of heart). Park either at the bottom of Hard Knott or a
few other small places towards the YHA. Walk up the River Esk and then
either to up towards Broad Stand or Little Narrowcove.

Jhimmy

Goatified Creature

May 7, 2010, 2:36:23 AM5/7/10
On 6 May, 15:05, "Jhimmy" <cobalt_blu...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Goatified Creature" <p...@paulswilliams.me.uk> wrote in message

Cheers for the advice all.. Em, still a difficult decision, mainly as
it will be the first proper fell walk for a couple of my colleages.
They have done a fair amount in the Peak District and we did snowdon a
couple of weeks ago - they were fine on that.

Wasdale would have been the obvious choice but my better half has
forbidden me from driving Hard Knott pass again after last summer -
how was I supposed to know it would be harder with a bike my rear bike
rack!!!

I think we will be doing Seathwaite... At least me and the g/f will be
hill fit after some munros...

Jhimmy

May 7, 2010, 6:05:46 AM5/7/10

> I think we will be doing Seathwaite... At least me and the g/f will be
> hill fit after some munros...

Now you've decided you still have to decide on either Esk Hause or the
Corridor route ;-)

Jhimmy

Tim Jackson

May 7, 2010, 6:15:48 AM5/7/10
On Fri, 7 May 2010 11:05:46 +0100, Jhimmy wrote...

Easy. Up one and down the other.

Now you have to decide which to go up and which to come down. :-)

--
Tim Jackson
ne...@timjackson.invalid

Geoff Berrow

May 7, 2010, 9:01:52 AM5/7/10
On Thu, 6 May 2010 23:36:23 -0700 (PDT), Goatified Creature
<pa...@paulswilliams.me.uk> wrote:

>my better half has
>forbidden me from driving Hard Knott pass again after last summer

You too, huh?
--
Geoff Berrow (Put thecat out to email)
It's only Usenet, no one dies.

david

May 7, 2010, 11:40:30 AM5/7/10

Not to mention Stockley Bridge or Taylor Gill Force.

Simon Challands

May 7, 2010, 7:19:19 PM5/7/10
In message <288ca669-55f7-48f9...@n15g2000yqf.googlegro
ups.com>
david <david.wil...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 7 May, 11:05, "Jhimmy" <cobalt_blu...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> I think we will be doing Seathwaite... At least me and the g/f will be
>>> hill fit after some munros...
>>
>> Now you've decided you still have to decide on either Esk Hause or the
>> Corridor route ;-)

> Not to mention Stockley Bridge or Taylor Gill Force.

Or somewhere else entirely if you're the lass I once met at Stockley
Bridge. "This isn't Langdale, is it?"

--
Simon Challands