Scotland Coast-to-Coast?

Michael Elcock

Jan 8, 2007, 2:47:48 PM1/8/07
Does anyone have any experience or advice of this walk? We did the
Wainwright Coast to Coast using guesthouses last year and would like to do a
similar high level one across Scotland (like the TGO Challenge) such as from
Mallaig to Montrose (not the Southern Upland Way). We would like to use
guesthouses or hostels again, and use a luggage transfer service. Is this
going to be possible? I haven't found anyone who has done this so far.

Chris Townsend

Jan 8, 2007, 4:19:07 PM1/8/07
In message <Edxoh.15856$QY6....@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, Michael
Elcock <mike....@blueyonder.co.uk> writes
Hamish Brown's "Scotland Coast to Coast" (Patrick Stephens, 1990)
describes a coast to coast route in the Highlands using B&Bs and
hostels. It's out of print but second hand copies should be available
from amazon and the like.

I've done 10 coast to coast walks but they've all been camping ones.
--
Chris Townsend

http://www.auchnarrow.demon.co.uk

Judith

Jan 8, 2007, 4:34:59 PM1/8/07
On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 21:19:07 +0000, Chris Townsend
<Ch...@DELETE.auchnarrow.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Hamish Brown's "Scotland Coast to Coast" (Patrick Stephens, 1990)
>describes a coast to coast route in the Highlands using B&Bs and
>hostels. It's out of print but second hand copies should be available
>from amazon and the like.

I had trouble getting hold of this last year. I couldn't get a copy
on the Internet for love nor money, but managed to borrow it from a
friend eventually.

If I recall correctly, Hamish Brown's walk is based on the walker
carrying his/her own pack rather than using a luggage transfer
service.

Judith

Chris Townsend

Jan 8, 2007, 6:12:24 PM1/8/07
In message <r2e5q2lirvb3ga0uh...@4ax.com>, Judith
<no.spam.for....@aol.com> writes
You recall correctly - if my memory is right! I don't think there are
luggage transfer services available in Scotland except for long distance
routes like the Southern Upland Way and West Highland Way.

Simon Caldwell

Jan 9, 2007, 4:40:21 PM1/9/07
On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 21:34:59 +0000, Judith
<no.spam.for....@aol.com> wrote:

>I had trouble getting hold of this last year. I couldn't get a copy
>on the Internet for love nor money, but managed to borrow it from a
>friend eventually.

Here's one:
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=780365918

£15 is quite a lot for a 2nd hand paperback, but the 2 others listed
are £22 and £46 so I guess it's collectible!

S.

--
Stop ID cards and the Database State
http://www.no2id.net/

Judith

Jan 9, 2007, 4:46:17 PM1/9/07
On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 21:40:21 +0000, Simon Caldwell
<simonjc...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>>I had trouble getting hold of this last year. I couldn't get a copy
>>on the Internet for love nor money, but managed to borrow it from a
>>friend eventually.
>
>Here's one:
>http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=780365918
>
>£15 is quite a lot for a 2nd hand paperback, but the 2 others listed
>are £22 and £46 so I guess it's collectible!

Typical! I don't need it now (as I still have PeeWiglet's copy!)

Judith

Rob Devereux

Jan 10, 2007, 9:42:56 AM1/10/07
Cant say I found the book that useful for the TGOC.

If you are prepared for it, I reckon you can probably get away with turning
up on spec in most places. We certainly noticed a lot of B&Bs that you
would never find on internet searches or tourist info request; and
paradoxcally you find a lot that arent quite what you though when you book
before. In fact some of the best stays have been turning up in small
villages at 9pm and finding a B&B by asking the residents that has turned
out to be fantastic(In fact one in Kinloch Rannoch, the lady was selling up
and had officially closed it but opened it up just for us - Scottish
hospitality is very much like this)

One fault we always made was carrying loads of food thinking that we'd be in
the wilds all the time and forgetting that civilisation has come to Scotland
a long time agao and they do have shops. The only place where I think we
would have gone hungry was the Allt Beithe Youth Hostel in Glen Affric(but
even then I think someone would have been kind) and they always cram in more
residents than they have bunks for anyway.

Rob

"Judith" <no.spam.for....@aol.com> wrote in message

Runningfox

Jan 11, 2007, 4:41:05 AM1/11/07

"Michael Elcock" <mike....@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Does anyone have any experience or advice of this walk? We would like to
> use guesthouses or hostels again, and use a luggage transfer service. Is
> this
going to be possible? I haven't found anyone who has done this so far.

Don't think there's a luggage transfer service on this route, but lots of
'Challengers' seem to travel light using B&B's and hostels. If you log into
the Challenge website: www.tgochallenge.co.uk and click on Latest News
you'll find a fairly comprehensive accommodation list that should get you
across Scotland if you plan things right.
It's a wonderful experience. Best of luck,
Gordon

Judith

Jan 12, 2007, 4:17:06 PM1/12/07
On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 14:42:56 -0000, "Rob Devereux"
<rdev...@linacre.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

>Cant say I found the book [Hamish Brown's "Scotland Coast to Coast"]that useful for the TGOC.

No, but it was an interesting read for me. I was quite a nervous
first-time coast-to-coaster and was interested to see one way of doing
it. Also, at that time I was interested in doing a B&B route although
I found that the book is quite out of date now.

Judith

Roos Eisma

Jan 14, 2007, 7:35:22 AM1/14/07
Chris Townsend <Ch...@DELETE.auchnarrow.demon.co.uk> writes:

>You recall correctly - if my memory is right! I don't think there are
>luggage transfer services available in Scotland except for long distance
>routes like the Southern Upland Way and West Highland Way.

There is for some local holidays, for example this one:
http://www.scotland-inverness.co.uk/rr-trek.htm

"The Torridon Circle Walking Holiday"

I haven't done this one but I have been on a group holiday with them
before I moved to Scotland and enjoyed it.

Roos