Android app or website that shows public footpath and right of way

Jim

Feb 11, 2020, 8:53:20 AM2/11/20
I'm looking for an android app or a website that show public footpaths
or right of way/right to roam, the last thing i want to do is walk where
I'm not supposed to i will be starting in Kent or Surrey

Jim

Stewart Robert Hinsley

Feb 11, 2020, 11:48:20 AM2/11/20
The OS Maps app does that, but you either have to pay for a mapping
subscription, or buy the (1:25,000 only?) paper maps (which nowadays
come with a free android download). I use the latter, as I want paper
maps as backup in case of battery exhaustion, or other failure.

www.streetmap.co.uk has the OS 1:50,000 and OS 1:25,000 mapping as two
of its resolutions. I don't know offhand whether Bing Maps still uses IS
mapping.

There is also www.openstreetmap.co.uk, but that will generallt be less
reliable than OS mapping. There are apps that use its data.

--
SRH

DaveRoyal

Jun 17, 2020, 5:05:55 AM6/17/20
I'm a bit late responding to this but having recently moved to
Kent/E.Sussex I've been finding footpaths and rights of way.
There are far fewer RoW here than where I moved from but there
are some well-used footpaths that are not RoW.

Quite a few local RoW were missing from OpenStreetmap (OSM); I've
added them wherever I've found them. I use OsMand (OSM/Android) -
on both Android and an iPhone when walking. It doesn't show RoW
differently from other footpaths - maybe other OSM-based apps do.
And it would depend on the path having been entered as a RoW in
the first place.

To find RoW I use the paper 1:25000 OS Maps, or the app loaded
with the free download you get when you buy one - which is on my
wife's phone 'cos it's bigger.

Each county has an online map of RoW, e.g. E.Sussex (mind the wrap!):
<https://www.eastsussex.gov.uk/leisureandtourism/countryside/right
sofway/map>
That has larger-scale maps than the 1:25000 if you zoom in - but
stops at the county boundary. I wouldn't try using on a phone in
the middle of a forest, but you could take some screenshots
before you go.
--
(Remove numerics from email address.)