Cheap Digi Vidi Camera Suggestions - please.

Adam Cox

Oct 30, 2002, 5:09:54 AM10/30/02
I am on a serious budget, can anyone recomend a budget range digi vidi
camera?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Darcy O'Bree

Oct 30, 2002, 6:30:40 AM10/30/02
to adam...@uk.thalesdefence.com
On 30/10/02 10:09 am, in article apob6s$io2$1...@rdel.co.uk, "Adam Cox"
<adam...@uk.thalesdefence.com> wrote:

> I am on a serious budget, can anyone recomend a budget range digi vidi
> camera?

My recommendation would be the Sony TRV16. We have 2 of them and 6 of their
predecessor the TRV15 and they are the only pieces of equipment in our
entire inventory that have never needed repair. This is despite their being
thrashed on a daily basis by students.

The features include manual override for exposure and focus (the latter via
a lens ring), time lapse and stop-frame record modes. The picture quality is
also very good. Current Amazon price is Ł429 so you could get one for under
Ł400 if you shop around and haggle.

Darcy OąBree
Digital Media Studios Manager
School of Art and Design
Staffordshire University

d.j....@staffs.ac.uk

Stephen

Oct 30, 2002, 7:32:51 AM10/30/02
Whatever you decide, check out

www.letsgodigital.co.uk

Excellent service, run by shall we say non-ethnic minorities.

- S
"Darcy O'Bree" <ju...@eat.spam.and.die.com> wrote in message

DDG

Oct 30, 2002, 11:10:31 AM10/30/02
I second that, excellent service run by decent white folk.

"Stephen" <Ste...@gyftgyft.jp> wrote in message

Loz

Oct 30, 2002, 11:16:22 AM10/30/02
> run by shall we say non-ethnic minorities.

What on earth has that got to do with it?

Loz

Dave R

Oct 30, 2002, 12:00:41 PM10/30/02
On Wed, 30 Oct 2002 16:10:31 GMT, "DDG" <dd...@spmail.com> allegedly wrote:

> I second that, excellent service run by decent white folk.

Is that supposed to be a joke, or are you just trolling for a fight?

- Dave.

J.L.E

Oct 30, 2002, 1:14:53 PM10/30/02
With wild abandonment DDG, dd...@spmail.com
in article news:103599403...@damia.uk.clara.net
sent us these words of wisdom…
<snip the abuse>

Sam

Oct 31, 2002, 2:45:15 AM10/31/02

"DDG" <dd...@spmail.com> wrote in message

> I second that, excellent service run by decent white folk.

Are you trying to be funny? A comment like that will just provoke a
response. I suggest that you go back to your little Nazi hole and keep
quiet.

Sam.

Ross

Nov 1, 2002, 10:43:55 AM11/1/02
> > run by shall we say non-ethnic minorities.
>
> What on earth has that got to do with it?
>
> Loz

I agree with Stephen, when I phone up a shop I want:

a) A sound technical knowledge of the camera.
b) At least an ability to speak the English language.

Some people are just out to make a buck! I want service!

Dave

Nov 1, 2002, 5:33:48 PM11/1/02
> > > run by shall we say non-ethnic minorities.
> >

> I agree with Stephen, when I phone up a shop I want:
>
> a) A sound technical knowledge of the camera.
> b) At least an ability to speak the English language.

Are you suggesting that those people from ethnic minorities do not have

a) A sound technical knowledge of the camera?
b) At least an ability to speak the English language?

You dipshit. Have you ever been into Jessops? Plenty of folks from
non-ethnic minorities there - and plenty lacking in 'a' and 'b'.

Dave.

PS What's this newsgroup called again? I don't think this group is in any
way linked to alt.uk.i.have.no.idea.as.i.am.a.dumb.hick ;)

Tony Morgan

Nov 3, 2002, 8:08:38 PM11/3/02
In message <B9E57360.6AEE%ju...@eat.spam.and.die.com>, Darcy O'Bree
<ju...@eat.spam.and.die.com> writes

>On 30/10/02 10:09 am, in article apob6s$io2$1...@rdel.co.uk, "Adam Cox"
><adam...@uk.thalesdefence.com> wrote:
>
>> I am on a serious budget, can anyone recomend a budget range digi vidi
>> camera?
>>

>My recommendation would be the Sony TRV16.

You are giving very poor advice Darcy (are you really a college "media
studio manager"?).

Firstly, the TRV16 is an 8mm camcorder.
Just to remind you, Adam asked about a digi (short for digital) video
camera (which the TRV16 is not). Don't you know what a digital video
camera is?

Secondly, you might observe that this newsgroup's name actually says
"digital".

Thirdly, I would discourage anyone from buying an 8mm camcorder, since
the technology has been passed by several times , and gives relatively
poor quality - and doesn't lend itself well to any sort of editing.

Fourthly, the TRV16 is no longer in production (though you may find one
or two being "cleared" at knock-down prices to the unsuspecting).
Personally, I'd be very reluctant to recommend that anyone should buy an
obsolete model -

>We have 2 of them and 6 of their
>predecessor the TRV15 and they are the only pieces of equipment in our
>entire inventory that have never needed repair.

Hardly a recommendation in view of the question.

>This is despite their being
>thrashed on a daily basis by students.
>
>The features include manual override for exposure and focus (the latter via
>a lens ring), time lapse and stop-frame record modes. The picture quality is
>also very good. Current Amazon price is Ł429 so you could get one for under
>Ł400 if you shop around and haggle.
>
>Darcy OąBree
>Digital Media Studios Manager
>School of Art and Design
>Staffordshire University

Oh God..... must hold my tongue :-)
--
Tony Morgan

SjT

Nov 4, 2002, 8:07:17 AM11/4/02
On Mon, 4 Nov 2002 01:08:38 +0000, Tony Morgan
<to...@xendor.fsworld.co.uk> Typedy Typed:

>Firstly, the TRV16 is an 8mm camcorder.
>Just to remind you, Adam asked about a digi (short for digital) video
>camera (which the TRV16 is not). Don't you know what a digital video
>camera is?

I thought it was a miniDV camcorder? ive been looking at these, and u
have me worried now?!

====================================
-> www.fairplay-campaign.co.uk
-> 1st - 8th December 2002
-> Power to the people and all that!
====================================

druidh

Nov 4, 2002, 4:29:23 PM11/4/02

"Tony Morgan" <to...@xendor.fsworld.co.uk> wrote in message

> In message <B9E57360.6AEE%ju...@eat.spam.and.die.com>, Darcy O'Bree
> <ju...@eat.spam.and.die.com> writes
> >On 30/10/02 10:09 am, in article apob6s$io2$1...@rdel.co.uk, "Adam Cox"
> ><adam...@uk.thalesdefence.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I am on a serious budget, can anyone recomend a budget range digi vidi
> >> camera?
> >>

> >My recommendation would be the Sony TRV16.
>
> You are giving very poor advice Darcy (are you really a college "media
> studio manager"?).
>
> Firstly, the TRV16 is an 8mm camcorder.
> Just to remind you, Adam asked about a digi (short for digital) video
> camera (which the TRV16 is not). Don't you know what a digital video
> camera is?
>
> Secondly, you might observe that this newsgroup's name actually says
> "digital".
>
> Thirdly, I would discourage anyone from buying an 8mm camcorder, since
> the technology has been passed by several times , and gives relatively
> poor quality - and doesn't lend itself well to any sort of editing.
>
> Fourthly, the TRV16 is no longer in production (though you may find one
> or two being "cleared" at knock-down prices to the unsuspecting).

Perhaps Darcy's got one he'd be willing to sell :-)

--

druidh

Not FAR to respond. . . . .

Tony Morgan

Nov 4, 2002, 9:55:21 PM11/4/02
In message <3dc65eb0....@news.CIS.DFN.DE>, SjT
<Skijumpto...@by.com> writes

>On Mon, 4 Nov 2002 01:08:38 +0000, Tony Morgan
><to...@xendor.fsworld.co.uk> Typedy Typed:
>
>>Firstly, the TRV16 is an 8mm camcorder.
>>Just to remind you, Adam asked about a digi (short for digital) video
>>camera (which the TRV16 is not). Don't you know what a digital video
>>camera is?
>
>I thought it was a miniDV camcorder? ive been looking at these, and u
>have me worried now?!

Check out:

http://beta.epinions.com/elec_Camcorders-8_mm_and_Hi8_Sony_CCD-Sony_CCD-T
RV16/_redir_att__~1
--
Tony Morgan

SjT

Nov 5, 2002, 4:20:38 AM11/5/02
On Tue, 5 Nov 2002 02:55:21 +0000, Tony Morgan
<to...@xendor.fsworld.co.uk> Typedy Typed:

>http://beta.epinions.com/elec_Camcorders-8_mm_and_Hi8_Sony_CCD-Sony_CCD-T
>RV16/_redir_att__~1

Ah, ok there are two TRV16's, one hi8, the other DV.. Is the DV
version becoming obsolete too?! :o/

Tony Morgan

Nov 5, 2002, 3:18:30 PM11/5/02
In message <3dc786c1...@news.CIS.DFN.DE>, SjT
<Skijumpto...@by.com> writes

>On Tue, 5 Nov 2002 02:55:21 +0000, Tony Morgan
><to...@xendor.fsworld.co.uk> Typedy Typed:
>
>>http://beta.epinions.com/elec_Camcorders-8_mm_and_Hi8_Sony_CCD-Sony_CCD-T
>>RV16/_redir_att__~1
>
>Ah, ok there are two TRV16's, one hi8, the other DV.. Is the DV
>version becoming obsolete too?! :o/

I couldn't find it (either version) on the Sony sites - usually a good
sign with Sony that the model has ceased production. That's how I came
to find the above link.
--
Tony Morgan

SjT

Nov 6, 2002, 5:10:35 AM11/6/02
On Tue, 5 Nov 2002 20:18:30 +0000, Tony Morgan
<to...@xendor.fsworld.co.uk> Typedy Typed:

>I couldn't find it (either version) on the Sony sites - usually a good

>sign with Sony that the model has ceased production. That's how I came
>to find the above link.

http://products.sony.co.uk/pro_runproducts.asp?pid=1333&ShowRange=Yes&Percentage=0&New=No&Cat=Camcorders&subCat=Digital+Camcorders&Ire=&CatID=11&sProdName=DCRTRV16E

It is there.