4X81 Pecar scope??

Derry Argue

Sep 20, 2003, 1:46:28 AM9/20/03
There is a 4X81 Pecar scope advertised on Ebay. 4X81? I was about to email
the seller when I saw the photo. Sure enough, the scope is enscribed 4X81.
Has anyone ever heard of this? Under the magnification, it says "Light". If
that really is an 81mm objective (and it doesn't look like it in the photo)
it must be one hell of a light gatherer!

Comments?

(Before you all rush off and bid, my Pecar has an obscure diameter tube and
the local gunshop could only supply second hand mounts to fit!).

Derry

John

Sep 20, 2003, 3:37:36 AM9/20/03
Derry Argue wrote:
> There is a 4X81 Pecar scope advertised on Ebay. 4X81? I was about to
> email the seller when I saw the photo. Sure enough, the scope is
> enscribed 4X81. Has anyone ever heard of this?

I believe (and I might be wrong) the largest available objective diameter of
70mm and they are made by ATN.

> Under the
> magnification, it says "Light". If that really is an 81mm objective
> (and it doesn't look like it in the photo) it must be one hell of a
> light gatherer!
>
> Comments?

Looks like a 4x30 or 32mm

> (Before you all rush off and bid, my Pecar has an obscure diameter
> tube and the local gunshop could only supply second hand mounts to
> fit!).

Life! :)

John

---

Derry Argue

Sep 20, 2003, 6:12:22 AM9/20/03
"John" <123...@britishlibrary.net> wrote in

John,

Since posting I did a google. I found several 4X81 Pecars advertised, all I
think in the USA, so they definitely exist. I am so curious about this I
shall attempt to email Pecar!

BTW, I also found a X4-X10 X45 Pecar listed at the equivalent of several
hundred pounds. Since, as you will recall, mine cost £85 I am well pleased!

Derry

Jonathan

Sep 20, 2003, 6:49:47 AM9/20/03
In message <Xns93FC450C15E6de...@130.133.1.4>, Derry
Argue <de...@adviegundogs.co.uk> writes

>There is a 4X81 Pecar scope advertised on Ebay. 4X81? I was about to email
>the seller when I saw the photo. Sure enough, the scope is enscribed 4X81.
>Has anyone ever heard of this? Under the magnification, it says "Light". If
>that really is an 81mm objective (and it doesn't look like it in the photo)
>it must be one hell of a light gatherer!
>
>Comments?

The "light" probably refers to the metal from which the tube is made:
aluminium alloy rather than steel. Try looking at other current German
manufacturer's websites, and you'll see they use the term that way.

Size isn't everything: good light transmission through a small lens will
outperform poor light transmission through a large lens. This is why
the Leupold Vari-X III costs more than the Vari-X II, the Vari-X III has
superior light transmission (due to the Multicoat_4 coatings) even
though the lenses are of the same dimensions.

An _old_ German scope is unlikely to perform as well as a more recently
made scope. Besides, an 81mm objective? It's affect on your rifles
handling would be like mounting a baseball bat on top of the barrel. :-)

--Jonathan Spencer, firearms examiner

Life is like a sewer: what you get out of it depends on what you put into it.

John

Sep 20, 2003, 8:07:06 AM9/20/03
Derry Argue wrote:
> Since posting I did a google. I found several 4X81 Pecars advertised,
> all I think in the USA, so they definitely exist. I am so curious
> about this I shall attempt to email Pecar!

I'll bet you a bottle of the good stuff it's not an 81mm objective lens :)

John

---

Derry Argue

Sep 20, 2003, 5:43:04 PM9/20/03
"John" <123...@britishlibrary.net> wrote in

From the photo, it looks like a 45. Anyway, I've emailed Pecar and we will
see what we will see.

Here is the URL. Have a dekko.(Don't miss the word wrap).
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3627725869&category=38
3

Is there anyway a scope can be called an 81 without the objective being
81mm diameter?

Derry

John

Sep 21, 2003, 3:27:01 AM9/21/03
Derry Argue wrote:
> From the photo, it looks like a 45. Anyway, I've emailed Pecar and we
> will see what we will see.
>
> Here is the URL. Have a dekko.(Don't miss the word wrap).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3627725869&category=38
> 3

From what I can make of it, it's a 4x32.

> Is there anyway a scope can be called an 81 without the objective
> being 81mm diameter?

Not sure, there has to be some reason for the "81", the tube is standard
26mm so the objective would have to be three times the size to close to the
81mm.

I've just acquired a Kahles HELIA - 6x42 alloy, not bad at £90, not sure how
good the scopes are but the glass is simply stunning.
Some more info on the cheap 8x56mm SMK scopes (SMK ??).
Okay, I found a chap would can sell for half price, which is about £35. I'm
also feeding the kit monster and swapping my scopes around, so low and
behold I purchased one of the 8x56 jobbies to fill a temporary need.
Hey, Derry I've got to be honest with you here, these 8x56 scopes are good
kit, normally I wouldn't entertain the idea of Chinese rifle scopes but the
scope adjusts precisely, 2 clicks at 50 yds moved the POI 1/4", 2 more
clicks and the POI moved back to the original zero, 4 clicks and the POI
moved 1/2"..............
The glass is almost as good as my 7x50 Zeiss binoculars (almost) not quite
at very last light, but for £35 squid's!!!

Jonathan

Sep 21, 2003, 3:46:19 AM9/21/03
In message <bkjjs1$2fqc5$1...@ID-56855.news.uni-berlin.de>, John
<123...@britishlibrary.net> writes

>I've just acquired a Kahles HELIA - 6x42 alloy, not bad at £90,

second hand?

>not sure how
>good the scopes are but the glass is simply stunning.

Kahles is a subsidiary of, if memory serves me, Swarovski. Their scopes
are equal to Swarovski, S&B, and Zeiss.

>Some more info on the cheap 8x56mm SMK scopes (SMK ??).

SMK = Sports Marketing. It's a badged product, just the like the Edgar
Opti-Mate etc products. Some one else makes them, and you stick your
badge on it.

>kit, normally I wouldn't entertain the idea of Chinese rifle scopes but the
>scope adjusts precisely, 2 clicks at 50 yds moved the POI 1/4", 2 more
>clicks and the POI moved back to the original zero, 4 clicks and the POI
>moved 1/2"..............

Never mind two clicks, wind it to the extremes of adjustment, "round the
corners" and see how it behaves.

>The glass is almost as good as my 7x50 Zeiss binoculars (almost) not quite
>at very last light,

Somehow I doubt that. Try setting up a test grid at, say 100 yards, and
looking at it under various light conditions: bright sunshine, overcast
etc. Try comparing it against your Kahles, side by side. You only get
what you pay for.

Derry Argue

Sep 21, 2003, 5:14:49 AM9/21/03

> One thing that I did have to adjust was the objective lens, it was set
> for 150 yds (focus), now it's down to 35 yds and will give good
> clarity from 20 yds out to 60 yds.

These newsgroups are great! Learn something new every day!

Now I've noticed with the Pecar that a X10 it is long distance (near
infinity) that is in focus but not close and mid range. I assume I can
tweak this by screweing the objective lens in or out?

(I cannot help but play with these things. One of my video friends insists
on calling me "The Tweaker" because I am always trying minor adjustments to
the "pots" on my video equipment to see if I can improve the picture! But
he has no excuse because he has to tweak any TV set he watches. He was
amused to hear his young son tell his wife, "Hey, dad's favourite TV
program is on!". It was the test card!<G>).

Derry

John

Sep 21, 2003, 6:23:12 AM9/21/03
Derry Argue wrote:
> "John" <123...@britishlibrary.net> wrote in
>
>> One thing that I did have to adjust was the objective lens, it was
>> set for 150 yds (focus), now it's down to 35 yds and will give good
>> clarity from 20 yds out to 60 yds.
>
> These newsgroups are great! Learn something new every day!
>
> Now I've noticed with the Pecar that a X10 it is long distance (near
> infinity) that is in focus but not close and mid range. I assume I can
> tweak this by screweing the objective lens in or out?

If the scope has variable magnification, then set the scope on the highest
setting and aim at your normal shooting range.
If the image is not "crisp", then you need to adjust the objective lens
(much like with parallax adjusting scopes).
This involves moving the objective lens forward or back along the housing.
You'll likely find that you have a locking ring, which you need to slacken
off, then you will be able to turn the lens forward or back, when you get
the focus perfect, tighten the locking ring.

Derry Argue

Sep 21, 2003, 7:29:03 AM9/21/03

> Derry Argue wrote:
>> "John" <123...@britishlibrary.net> wrote in
>>
>>> One thing that I did have to adjust was the objective lens, it was
>>> set for 150 yds (focus), now it's down to 35 yds and will give good
>>> clarity from 20 yds out to 60 yds.
>>
>> These newsgroups are great! Learn something new every day!
>>
>> Now I've noticed with the Pecar that a X10 it is long distance (near
>> infinity) that is in focus but not close and mid range. I assume I
>> can tweak this by screweing the objective lens in or out?
>>

> If the scope has variable magnification, then set the scope on the
> highest setting and aim at your normal shooting range.
> If the image is not "crisp", then you need to adjust the objective
> lens (much like with parallax adjusting scopes).
> This involves moving the objective lens forward or back along the
> housing. You'll likely find that you have a locking ring, which you
> need to slacken off, then you will be able to turn the lens forward or
> back, when you get the focus perfect, tighten the locking ring.
>
> John

Oh blast! Looks as if it's set up correctly, then. No tweaking for me!

By the way, after cleaning the scope I took it up to McLoed's to get some
mounts. Gregor looked through it and sniffed but said nothing. It was only
when I got home I realized I'd put the objective lens in the wrong way
round and it was like looking through the bottom of a (glass) milk bottle.
I think I'll sit back and wait for the rumours to fly. Could be fun!

Derry

rasal...@msn.com

Oct 27, 2017, 4:24:56 AM10/27/17
81 is not the objective lens size

rasal...@msn.com

Oct 27, 2017, 4:27:04 AM10/27/17
You will get no reply from the manufacturer,they went out of business in 2007 or 8 .By the way they were manufactured in West Germany,not china