Scam scum

Tone

Dec 2, 2022, 1:37:30 PM12/2/22
Scam phonecall today. 'From my bank.' Two unauthorised payments have
been taken out, one for Amazon, £300, and another £1,000. Press button 1
to cancel, 2 to talk to the bank.

I don't fall for this. I cut the call off and checked my account online.
All is fine.

Beware good sheddi. Thieves about. The scum of society. Almost as bad as
the tories!

Tone

Don Stockbauer

Dec 2, 2022, 1:49:13 PM12/2/22
so basically you have a good productive contributor here to the shed and he hast to use Google groups because he's not computer savvy enough to use Thunderball and Google groups just requires a one page registration and then we go along and basically as far as I can tell everyone can read what I post because they actually provide feedback you do know that if you don't provide feedback to a system then that system is liable to either explode or go extinct so then we're kind of like just going along in then there's somebody with some alias like him like you know like you have a door that's that has real squeaky and you need to spray some WD-40 on it and get it to not be so rusty and using your hinge will be OK so it is this person doesn't really have too much to do and so he sitting around and says how can I screw with stockbauer again so he asked me some obscure question which I don't even remember and it has nothing to do with anything because like I can read what I write I mean I kind of speculated in a former posting that maybe he is kind of low intelligence and he hast to have his text and just the perfect format before he can understand it and so then we go along and he gets me all mad and angry and fuming and I just say the hell with the shed to hell with everything I've posted over the years all the wonderful brilliant idea just down the toilet now and just like them well that's just the way of social media that's how social media goes it's just you could take all the social media and just prove it off the Internet and no one would care it's just a waste of time and anyway the very final thing I have to say to you guys is eat more pecans

hub...@ccanoemail.com

Dec 2, 2022, 3:02:10 PM12/2/22
Those robo-call ones are very common here too - but fairly easy
to judge bogus and hang-up on. Another one - that seems to work
on the trusting elder-folk is the
" your grand son/daughter is in trouble and needs money .. "
.. an oldster near me delivered $ 7,000. cash to the "lawyer"
at a liquor store parking lot ..
Often, the bank teller will catch-on to the unusual withdrawal and
inform a relative or police to intervene.
John T.

Sam Plusnet

Dec 2, 2022, 3:24:11 PM12/2/22
Was that "my bank"/"your bank" a direct quote from the call?
I wouldn't bother checking the account.

--
Sam Plusnet

Geoff Ellis

Dec 2, 2022, 6:44:50 PM12/2/22
had the exact same call, day for yessday, local code as well. 01305*

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Dec 3, 2022, 1:30:02 AM12/3/22
On Fri, 2 Dec 2022 23:44:48 +0000
Geoff Ellis <astr...@geoff-ellis.co.uk> wrote:

> had the exact same call, day for yessday, local code as well. 01305*

Caller ID is only useful for identifying honest callers, over VOIP
it's just a data field that some providers allow customers to set so
sending a local code is an easy bit of programming. Be glad they don't have
access to your address book otherwise you could be getting calls/texts from
"friends".

There are legitimate reasons for setting the CID, I used to route
international calls over VOIP and local/national over the landline with the
VOIP CID set to the landline number so that all incoming calls came over
the landline.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Tease'n'Seize

Dec 3, 2022, 4:25:14 AM12/3/22
Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:

> Caller ID is only useful for identifying honest callers, over VOIP
> it's just a data field that some providers allow customers to set so
> sending a local code is an easy bit of programming.

I'm surprised The Met are claiming such a big victory in 'discovering' the
iSpoof system allowing these scam calls, surely they knew about this stuff
before? As long as the telcos still allow it, the naughty crims will just setup
another ...

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Dec 3, 2022, 5:00:02 AM12/3/22
If you're feeding from VOIP into the phone system then the outgoing
SIP packets contain your caller ID. Usually the VOIP provider stamps on
this and puts in the number they gave you - but there are legitimate
reasons for changing this and so the mechanism is available. Honest VOIP
providers who allow it (IME on request only) also attach conditions that
you own the number you present and will terminate the service if they get
complaints - of course it takes some sleuthing to track the call down to
the VOIP provider

Brian Gaff

Dec 3, 2022, 5:36:06 AM12/3/22
Yes I've had that about paypal and also via email.
I guess they only need one person to take the bait and they have made their
money back.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Tone" <to...@email.com> wrote in message

Brian Gaff

Dec 3, 2022, 5:38:08 AM12/3/22
Yes one went berserk the other day and sent me 7 identical texts 'mum I've
broken my phone and am using my mates, give me a call on'
Blah....
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
<hub...@ccanoemail.com> wrote in message

Tease'n'Seize

Dec 3, 2022, 5:41:13 AM12/3/22

Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:

> there are legitimate reasons for changing this and so the mechanism is
> available. Honest VOIP providers who allow it (IME on request only) also
> attach conditions that you own the number you present

Maybe BT etc should offer a star service, such that they'd pass "POSSIBLE FAKE"
for any CLI they didn't believe to be genuine (i.e from themselves or
whitelisted sources)?

Brian Gaff

Dec 3, 2022, 5:41:48 AM12/3/22
Yes, basically whereas scammers used to operate by paper mail or visiting
people, which cost money, they can now all stay at home and use the phone or
electronic means to try it on many more people for a minimal cost.
Its obvious that con men will love it, or actually many are now con women
or con robots.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Ahem A Rivet's Shot" <ste...@eircom.net> wrote in message

Julian Macassey

Dec 3, 2022, 7:48:02 AM12/3/22
On Fri, 2 Dec 2022 18:37:15 +0000, Tone <to...@email.com> wrote:
The Filth today don't treat fraud as a crime, unless you
steal from the rich and famous, that was Bernie Madhoff's
mistake.

--
"There’s class warfare, all right. But it’s my class, the rich
class, that’s making war ...and we’re winning." - Warren Buffett,

Tone

Dec 3, 2022, 8:00:54 AM12/3/22
Yes, mine was on a local code here too.

Tone

hub...@ccanoemail.com

Dec 3, 2022, 8:41:17 AM12/3/22
On Sat, 3 Dec 2022 10:38:01 -0000, "Brian Gaff" <brian...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Yes one went berserk the other day and sent me 7 identical texts 'mum I've
>broken my phone and am using my mates, give me a call on'
> Blah....
> Brian

Now that's one I've never seen.
John T.

hub...@ccanoemail.com

Dec 3, 2022, 8:52:25 AM12/3/22
On Sat, 3 Dec 2022 06:00:35 +0000, Ahem A Rivet's Shot
<ste...@eircom.net> wrote:

>On Fri, 2 Dec 2022 23:44:48 +0000
>Geoff Ellis <astr...@geoff-ellis.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> had the exact same call, day for yessday, local code as well. 01305*
>
> Caller ID is only useful for identifying honest callers, over VOIP
>it's just a data field that some providers allow customers to set so
>sending a local code is an easy bit of programming. Be glad they don't have
>access to your address book otherwise you could be getting calls/texts from
>"friends".

For a long time the scammers were using an actual
Revenue Canada phone number for their fake caller ID -
.. I think that's been stopped now.
The scam message was quite aggressive in threatening
immediate arrest etc .. but if/when the victim was hooked
- the payment was in some sort of Apple card or something !
Some idiots would actually fall for it ! Thinking that the
Government of Canada's preferred payment method was
Apple cards ... duh.
John T.

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Dec 3, 2022, 9:00:17 AM12/3/22
On Sat, 3 Dec 2022 10:41:07 +0000
Tease'n'Seize <tease-and-seize@invalid> wrote:

By the time it gets to them they can't tell the source, the last
place to know would be the SIP <-> ATM gateway and even there there' no way
of telling where the field in the SIP packets originated. The VOIP provider
*could* prefix the CID if the customer provided it - but not without
breaking legitimate users who pay for the service.

Sam Plusnet

Dec 3, 2022, 3:22:20 PM12/3/22
Wouldn't they then become liable for any and all false positives and
false negatives?
I doubt if their lawyers would be happy about that.

--
Sam Plusnet

Sam Plusnet

Dec 3, 2022, 3:25:44 PM12/3/22
It may be my imagination but I thought that, if such a call was genuine,
it would come from some central call centre, not from your friendly
local branch.
(I dunno, since 'my' branch is 200 miles away.)

--
Sam Plusnet

Tim+

Dec 3, 2022, 4:44:46 PM12/3/22
I think that since the advent of VOIP, caller ID can be spoofed to appear
from anywhere. Spoofing a local code probably helps to make the scam a bit
more plausible sounding.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Tone

Dec 4, 2022, 4:57:49 AM12/4/22
On 03/12/2022 21:44, Tim+ wrote:
>>> Yes, mine was on a local code here too.
>> It may be my imagination but I thought that, if such a call was genuine,
>> it would come from some central call centre, not from your friendly
>> local branch.
>> (I dunno, since 'my' branch is 200 miles away.)
>>
> I think that since the advent of VOIP, caller ID can be spoofed to appear
> from anywhere. Spoofing a local code probably helps to make the scam a bit
> more plausible sounding.
>
> Tim

My branch is also over 200 miles away, so a local code was an immediate
sign that it was a scam. So was the second or two delay after picking
up, then the click and the obviously recorded female voice.

My bank has only phoned me once, several years ago, at 11pm, to warn me
that the purchase I was about to try to make online was a scam! That was
from a withheld number, and from a central 24hr office where they
investigate scams. They didn't ask for any information from me.

Tone

John Williamson

Dec 4, 2022, 6:03:13 AM12/4/22
On 04/12/2022 09:57, Tone wrote:
> On 03/12/2022 21:44, Tim+ wrote:

> My branch is also over 200 miles away, so a local code was an immediate
> sign that it was a scam. So was the second or two delay after picking
> up, then the click and the obviously recorded female voice.

My branch can only be contacted via the 0345 xxx xxxx number, and I'm
not sure whether it is my phone that tells me it's the bsnk calling or a
"spoofed" message using the Caller ID system. If you are in the phone
book app, then I don't see your number.

> My bank has only phoned me once, several years ago, at 11pm, to warn me
> that the purchase I was about to try to make online was a scam! That was
> from a withheld number, and from a central 24hr office where they
> investigate scams. They didn't ask for any information from me.

My bank keep sending me e-mails saying that they will not ask for my PIN
or full account number.

The fraud department also always initially contact me by SMS, asking me
to confirm that it was me that I made the transaction. So far, I have
stopped two attempts, one through an ATM in Barbados about 5 minutes
after I'd paid at my local Tesco. I'm fast, but not that fast.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Dec 4, 2022, 7:00:02 AM12/4/22
On Sun, 4 Dec 2022 11:03:09 +0000
John Williamson <johnwil...@btinternet.com> wrote:

> The fraud department also always initially contact me by SMS, asking me
> to confirm that it was me that I made the transaction. So far, I have
> stopped two attempts, one through an ATM in Barbados about 5 minutes

Someone has your number and a card cloner. IIWY I'd request a new
card.

> after I'd paid at my local Tesco. I'm fast, but not that fast.

So this isn't your bright red suit with lightning bolt decorations
then ?

John Williamson

Dec 4, 2022, 7:13:32 AM12/4/22
On 04/12/2022 11:56, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Dec 2022 11:03:09 +0000
> John Williamson <johnwil...@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> The fraud department also always initially contact me by SMS, asking me
>> to confirm that it was me that I made the transaction. So far, I have
>> stopped two attempts, one through an ATM in Barbados about 5 minutes
>
> Someone has your number and a card cloner. IIWY I'd request a new
> card.

This was about three cards ago, and they sent me a replacement
automatically.

It was very shortly after I had made my first ever payment to an eBay
trader.

>> after I'd paid at my local Tesco. I'm fast, but not that fast.
>
> So this isn't your bright red suit with lightning bolt decorations
> then ?

Nope, that's the latest fashion for the fat guy from the North Pole.

Julian Macassey

Dec 4, 2022, 8:58:09 AM12/4/22
On 3 Dec 2022 21:44:44 GMT, Tim+ <tim.d...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think that since the advent of VOIP, caller ID can be spoofed to appear
> from anywhere.

That's been true since ISDN.

But, the goons have always had the ability to trace the
calls they want to trace.

--
"Any Tom, Dick or Harry can be in Oasis, you know what I mean, if
you've got the right haircut" - Noel Gallagher

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Dec 4, 2022, 9:30:02 AM12/4/22
On Sun, 4 Dec 2022 13:58:08 -0000 (UTC)
Julian Macassey <jul...@n6are.com> wrote:

> But, the goons have always had the ability to trace the
> calls they want to trace.

True, after all the reply audio has to get back to the originator
and it can in principle be tracked - OTOH if it hits a bunch of relays
under black hat control that might prove tricky.

Sam Plusnet

Dec 4, 2022, 3:27:32 PM12/4/22
As Tone said, a "local" call makes it seem _more_ like a scam, not less.

--
Sam Plusnet

hub...@ccanoemail.com

Dec 4, 2022, 4:01:47 PM12/4/22

>As Tone said, a "local" call makes it seem _more_ like a scam, not less.

Not in my world.
A caller ID that indicates a local exchange but
a strange number might be answered.
But a foreign-looking area code ~ never gets answered.

When I do decide to answer - I never say hello or hi -
- I say yep or yo or something else -
figuring that hello triggers their bot to continue.
Dunno.
John T.

RustyHinge

Dec 4, 2022, 5:50:56 PM12/4/22
"Hello: CID Incident Room..."

--
Rusty Hinge

Tone

Dec 4, 2022, 7:24:02 PM12/4/22
On 04/12/2022 22:50, RustyHinge wrote:
> On 04/12/2022 21:02, hub...@ccanoemail.com wrote:
>>

>>> As Tone said, a "local" call makes it seem _more_ like a scam, not less.
>>>

>>    Not in my world.
>> A caller ID  that indicates a local exchange  but
>> a strange number    might    be answered.
>> But  a  foreign-looking  area code  ~  never  gets answered.
>>
>>   When I  do  decide  to answer  -  I never say  hello or hi -
>>    -  I say   yep  or  yo  or  something else  -
>>   figuring that   hello   triggers their bot  to continue.
>>      Dunno.
>
> "Hello: CID Incident Room..."

You can be done for imitating a copper.

Tone

Nicholas D. Richards

Dec 5, 2022, 9:41:51 AM12/5/22
In article <tmjdn0$3pd1u$1...@dont-email.me>, Tone <to...@email.com> on
Mon, 5 Dec 2022 at 00:23:58 awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
IANAL, but, it occurs to me that you would not have said that you were a
copper?

Might be safer to say 'Incident Room'.

Maybe I have at one point committed an offence.

Perhaps 20+ years ago may teenager daughter was being harassed by some
local boys. Once when they phoned I picked up the phone and answered it
with '******** Police Station'. Phone went down sharpish and there were
no more phone calls.

These days probably would not work, teenagers are a bit more savvy?
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Tone

Dec 5, 2022, 10:21:12 AM12/5/22
On 05/12/2022 14:32, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
> Maybe I have at one point committed an offence.
>
> Perhaps 20+ years ago may teenager daughter was being harassed by some
> local boys. Once when they phoned I picked up the phone and answered it
> with '******** Police Station'. Phone went down sharpish and there were
> no more phone calls.

My old man was a nutter. He rode a motorbike dressed up to look like a
police bike, and went around telling motorists off for minor offences.

Until he stopped one car and the driver got out, looked at his bike, and
said "You ain't a copper!" and nutted him!

Father rode home with a bleeding nose.

"I'm not going to do that again!" he stated. "You never know what madmen
are out there on the road!"

Yeah, like you ya pillock!

Tone

RustyHinge

Dec 5, 2022, 11:50:46 AM12/5/22
Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha:
Ho-ho-ho-ho-ho-ho-ho:

Sam Plusnet

Dec 5, 2022, 4:39:30 PM12/5/22
Can't the Cheltenham Industrial Dairy have an incident room, if they
find a need for one?

--
Sam Plusnet