House of Cards

Tone

Nov 17, 2022, 10:26:51 PM11/17/22
Just binge-watched all esipodes on BBC iPlayer.

Amazingly revealing about corruption in tory politics over 40 years ago.
Nothing changes.

It was adapted from a novel written by Michael Dobbs, a former chief of
staff at Conservative Party headquarters.

Ian Richardson is amazing as Francis Urquhart, a name derived from a
note Dobbs made when he was sacked by Thatcher.... 'FU'.

I unforget watching it in 1990, but didn't really grasp back then that
politicians could actually be that corrupt.

However recent events in the tory party have changed that opinion.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b0082dzs/house-of-cards

Tone

Mark P. Nelson

Nov 18, 2022, 12:16:38 AM11/18/22
Tone <to...@email.com> wrote in news:tl6u1b$2mcan$2...@dont-email.me:

> Amazingly revealing about corruption in tory politics over 40 years ago.
> Nothing changes.

You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment.

--
Clotho, Lachesis, Atropos -- the only sysadmins that matter

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Nov 18, 2022, 3:00:08 AM11/18/22
On Fri, 18 Nov 2022 03:26:22 +0000
Tone <to...@email.com> wrote:

> Amazingly revealing about corruption in tory politics over 40 years ago.
> Nothing changes.

They seem to have become more blatant in recent times.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Peter

Nov 18, 2022, 4:33:09 AM11/18/22
Tone <to...@email.com> wrote in news:tl6u1b$2mcan$2...@dont-email.me:

> Just binge-watched all esipodes on BBC iPlayer.
>
> Amazingly revealing about corruption in tory politics over 40 years ago.
> Nothing changes.
>
> It was adapted from a novel written by Michael Dobbs, a former chief of
> staff at Conservative Party headquarters.
>
> Ian Richardson is amazing as Francis Urquhart, a name derived from a
> note Dobbs made when he was sacked by Thatcher.... 'FU'.
>
> I unforget watching it in 1990, but didn't really grasp back then that
> politicians could actually be that corrupt.

I also watched it when it first came out. I was jbexing as a humble swivel
swervant in Whitehall at the time. I was delighted at how true to life it
was and gubhtug "shirley this must change things, now people know." Silly
me.

--
Peter
-----

Brian Gaff

Nov 18, 2022, 7:26:20 AM11/18/22
The problem is that unfortunately they enter the slippery slope and then
often do not realise how much they are affected by their funders and how
little by the people who elect them.

I tend to think its when you perceive you can get more and more, and not
that you can do more good, that you should get the order of the boot.
Trouble is, who is going to do that, as that person, by then has passed too
far down the rabbit hole to find their way back.
I notice that Jeremy hunt side before the last leader election when asked
if he wanted to stand as party leader, he said, I have 2 children and a wife
who say no. Maybe that is the way to do it.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Tone" <to...@email.com> wrote in message
> [...]

Brian Gaff

Nov 18, 2022, 7:31:38 AM11/18/22
In many ways, having it out in the open is more healthy. Look at it this
way, everyone wants to get on and be financially successful. You don't get
money for nothing, and it should surely be known that if you see daft
decisions being made, there is going to be an underlying reason. More money
for you, more money for the party.
I wonder honestly if we all might not be better off without parties, just
people. There would still be corruption, but maybe it might even itself out
a bit if the people had to compromise and not form blocks against each
other.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Ahem A Rivet's Shot" <ste...@eircom.net> wrote in message

Brian Gaff

Nov 18, 2022, 7:36:01 AM11/18/22
I think we have always known. It happens in office politics as well. I
remember Yes Minister, and even Mrs Thatcher said it was very like the real
thing, so admitting things back then of course.
Its the human nature you are talking about.
Listen to the Peter Sellers party political speech written by Frank Muir.
And in conclusion let me say just this.

I do not consider existing conditions likely.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Peter" <mys...@prune.org.uk> wrote in message

Richard Robinson

Nov 18, 2022, 7:47:11 AM11/18/22
Peter Oborne is worth a read - "The Triumph of the Political Class", I
think. His point (one of them) being that a lot of them are in a bubble,
don't know much apart from other people just like themselves, they
really do think everybody's doing it, they're no more corrupt than
anyone else - but most other people aren't.

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Chris Elvidge

Nov 18, 2022, 8:18:10 AM11/18/22
On 18/11/2022 12:47, Richard Robinson wrote:
> Tone said:
>> Just binge-watched all esipodes on BBC iPlayer.
>>
>> Amazingly revealing about corruption in tory politics over 40 years ago.
>> Nothing changes.
>>
>> It was adapted from a novel written by Michael Dobbs, a former chief of
>> staff at Conservative Party headquarters.
>>
>> Ian Richardson is amazing as Francis Urquhart, a name derived from a
>> note Dobbs made when he was sacked by Thatcher.... 'FU'.
>>
>> I unforget watching it in 1990, but didn't really grasp back then that
>> politicians could actually be that corrupt.
>>
>> However recent events in the tory party have changed that opinion.
>>
>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b0082dzs/house-of-cards
>
> Peter Oborne is worth a read - "The Triumph of the Political Class", I
> think. His point (one of them) being that a lot of them are in a bubble,
> don't know much apart from other people just like themselves, they
> really do think everybody's doing it, they're no more corrupt than
> anyone else - but most other people aren't.

Twatter/Farcebook algorithms just amplify the "(political) real world" then?

--
Chris Elvidge
England

Richard Robinson

Nov 18, 2022, 8:28:09 AM11/18/22
People have a tendency to hang about with people who agree with them ?

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Nov 18, 2022, 10:00:07 AM11/18/22
On Fri, 18 Nov 2022 12:31:33 -0000
"Brian Gaff" <brian...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I wonder honestly if we all might not be better off without parties,
> just people.

I wrote a paper on that very idea at school.

Mike Fleming

Nov 18, 2022, 10:41:24 AM11/18/22
On 18/11/2022 03:26, Tone wrote:
> Just binge-watched all esipodes on BBC iPlayer.
>
> Amazingly revealing about corruption in tory politics over 40 years ago.
> Nothing changes.

I watched it, and the successor series "To Play the King" and "The Final
Cut" when they came out and thoroughly enjoyed them. I've recorded these
showings to watch again.

I've also been recently prompted to have a look at my political bible,
"Yes Prime Minister", as the sight of Rish! Sunak's creepy video showing
him being applauded into Downing Street awoke a memory. And indeed it
was so, YPM says that Jim Hacker wasn't applauded in because
traditionally it was PMs that won a general election that were applauded
in. So Sunak broke with tradition for self-aggrandising purposes.

Richard Robinson

Nov 18, 2022, 11:35:02 AM11/18/22
His photos make him look too pleased with himself by half. They make
Johnson look modest.