Banksy Strikes Again

Richard Robinson

Aug 2, 2022, 12:20:24 PM8/2/22
I've bumped into this yesterday
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-61968001

I'd never realised it was anything like such an organised operation, but
what I love most is that contact with them is to be done via an
organisation called Pest Control. This is genius-level stuff.

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Brian Gaff

Aug 3, 2022, 4:56:10 AM8/3/22
No idea what you refer too, but on this subject, I've often wondered if
there are a team of them who have learned how to paint in a similar style.
Does anyone really knowwho the person is, if not howwould you know a
forgery?
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Richard Robinson" <rich...@privacy.net> wrote in message

Kerr-Mudd, John

Aug 3, 2022, 6:44:01 AM8/3/22
On Tue, 02 Aug 2022 11:20:18 -0500
Richard Robinson <rich...@privacy.net> wrote:

> I've bumped into this yesterday
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-61968001
>
> I'd never realised it was anything like such an organised operation, but
> what I love most is that contact with them is to be done via an
> organisation called Pest Control. This is genius-level stuff.

It's a funny old world:
Banksy is an artist, the other guys are vandals.

This mural, on Gorleston's north beach, depicts an arcade-style grabber
hovering over anyone sitting on the shelter bench. It was vandalised soon
after it appeared, with six teddy bears stencilled beneath and the words
"Banksy Collaboration Emo" added. The council cleaned it up and added a
protective screen.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Jim the Geordie

Aug 3, 2022, 8:01:17 AM8/3/22
In article <20220803114401.b051...@127.0.0.1>, admin@
127.0.0.1 says...
I quite liked the teddy bears. I wonder whether Banksy approved of their
removal?

--
Jim the Geordie

John Williamson

Aug 3, 2022, 8:30:18 AM8/3/22
On 03/08/2022 13:01, Jim the Geordie wrote:
> In article <20220803114401.b051...@127.0.0.1>, admin@
> 127.0.0.1 says...

>> It's a funny old world:
>> Banksy is an artist, the other guys are vandals.

They are all vandals, as none of Banksy's "artwork" has been requested
by the building owners.

> I quite liked the teddy bears. I wonder whether Banksy approved of their
> removal?

Why would he do that, or approve of them being put there in the first place?

When I read the article, I was left wondering why Banksy's grafitti is
so favoured by people. If a mural is wanted, there are many professional
artists who are happy to paint one as a commission, in his style if so
desired. If it is not requested, then it is property damage, pure and
simple. It may also be in contravention of planning law in many cases.

Banksy could earn quite a good living if he so desired, but persists in
his criminal ways.

Just my opinion, others are available...

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

maus

Aug 3, 2022, 8:55:15 AM8/3/22
On 2022-08-03, Kerr-Mudd, John <ad...@127.0.0.1> wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Aug 2022 11:20:18 -0500
> Richard Robinson <rich...@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> I've bumped into this yesterday
>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-61968001
>>
>> I'd never realised it was anything like such an organised operation, but
>> what I love most is that contact with them is to be done via an
>> organisation called Pest Control. This is genius-level stuff.
>>

> It's a funny old world:
> Banksy is an artist, the other guys are vandals.

=+

--
grey...@mail.org
Fi Fi Fo Fum, I smell the stench of an influencer

Richard Robinson

Aug 3, 2022, 10:13:30 AM8/3/22
Kerr-Mudd, John said:
> On Tue, 02 Aug 2022 11:20:18 -0500
> Richard Robinson <rich...@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> I've bumped into this yesterday
>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-61968001
>>
>> I'd never realised it was anything like such an organised operation, but
>> what I love most is that contact with them is to be done via an
>> organisation called Pest Control. This is genius-level stuff.
>>

> It's a funny old world:
> Banksy is an artist, the other guys are vandals.

I'd always accepted that impression, a hit-and-run individual like the
others but with more talent, taste and ideas. The events described in
the article give me the impression that there might be more than one
person involved. Or maybe that's just because I'm just too shambolic to
imagine myself being able to do it.

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Aug 3, 2022, 11:00:18 AM8/3/22
On Wed, 3 Aug 2022 13:30:14 +0100
John Williamson <johnwil...@btinternet.com> wrote:

> They are all vandals, as none of Banksy's "artwork" has been requested
> by the building owners.

This is true, but have any of the building owners complained about
the free unsolicited decoration service ? There was someone in Tralee doing
silhouettes on walls around the town (I haven't seen a new one for some
time), again nobody who owns the walls is complaining or removing them -
some even seem to have been touched up.

Sure they could have commissioned some artwork - but few would
think of it or have the imagination to create something.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Richard Robinson

Aug 3, 2022, 11:38:12 AM8/3/22
John Williamson said:

> When I read the article, I was left wondering why Banksy's grafitti is
> so favoured by people.

Personally, my only involvement with them is that I ocasionally
encounter pictures of some, and it gives me joy to see them.

And I don't have the full half-hour to spare.

Richard Robinson

Aug 3, 2022, 11:41:52 AM8/3/22
Ahem A Rivet's Shot said:
> On Wed, 3 Aug 2022 13:30:14 +0100
> John Williamson <johnwil...@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> They are all vandals, as none of Banksy's "artwork" has been requested
>> by the building owners.
>
> This is true, but have any of the building owners complained about

If ICBA, I'd startpage for Banksy and criminal damage, in case it shed
any light.

> Sure they could have commissioned some artwork - but few would
> think of it or have the imagination to create something.

One thing I like is the demonstration that creativity can still be free.

Would anybody care to buy a pair of mutually-recursive NFTs which will
self destruct in private at a random time ?

Brian Gaff

Aug 3, 2022, 12:01:30 PM8/3/22
Yes, well where there are idle hands etc.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Kerr-Mudd, John" <ad...@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

John Williamson

Aug 3, 2022, 12:45:35 PM8/3/22
On 03/08/2022 15:53, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Aug 2022 13:30:14 +0100
> John Williamson <johnwil...@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> They are all vandals, as none of Banksy's "artwork" has been requested
>> by the building owners.
>
> This is true, but have any of the building owners complained about
> the free unsolicited decoration service ? There was someone in Tralee doing
> silhouettes on walls around the town (I haven't seen a new one for some
> time), again nobody who owns the walls is complaining or removing them -
> some even seem to have been touched up.

The council in Clacton? This took less than five seconds to find.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/10/02/banksy-artwork-destroyed-clacton_n_5919030.html

Though, to be fair, they now wouldn't object if he cane back and did
something "more appropriate". Maybe they have worked out that they could
either sell it or use it to attract tourists, and, let's face it,
Clacton needs them....

Richard Robinson

Aug 3, 2022, 2:05:20 PM8/3/22
John Williamson said:
> On 03/08/2022 15:53, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
>> On Wed, 3 Aug 2022 13:30:14 +0100
>> John Williamson <johnwil...@btinternet.com> wrote:
>>
>>> They are all vandals, as none of Banksy's "artwork" has been requested
>>> by the building owners.
>>
>> This is true, but have any of the building owners complained about
>> the free unsolicited decoration service ? There was someone in Tralee doing
>> silhouettes on walls around the town (I haven't seen a new one for some
>> time), again nobody who owns the walls is complaining or removing them -
>> some even seem to have been touched up.
>>
> The council in Clacton? This took less than five seconds to find.
>
> https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/10/02/banksy-artwork-destroyed-clacton_n_5919030.html

In which page, my browser finds no hits for either "criminal" or "damage". What's
going on here ? Would anybody care to give me a reality check ?

John Williamson

Aug 3, 2022, 2:28:14 PM8/3/22
On 03/08/2022 19:05, Richard Robinson wrote:
> John Williamson said:

>> https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/10/02/banksy-artwork-destroyed-clacton_n_5919030.html
>
> In which page, my browser finds no hits for either "criminal" or "damage". What's
> going on here ? Would anybody care to give me a reality check ?

Not an official charge of criminal damage, but they did blot it out,
which is a cheaper way to get rid of it than going to court.

Richard Robinson

Aug 3, 2022, 2:44:06 PM8/3/22
I continue to not get this. My browser shows that the headline was
"Banksy Artwork Destroyed For 'Being Racist'" and the (excerpted) first
statement as "Banksy's newest anti-racism artwork has been destroyed
following a single complaint it was racist".

Lower down, I see a pretty clear (but paraphrased here) statement that
whatever he might have done, they'd be happy to have him do it again if
only they weren't so frightened of matters arising from the content.

And damnit, that's more of the halfhour gone which in my case I did not
have in the first place. Curse you, Red Baron !

Mike Fleming

Aug 5, 2022, 6:30:57 PM8/5/22
On 03/08/2022 13:01, Jim the Geordie wrote:
> In article <20220803114401.b051...@127.0.0.1>, admin@
> 127.0.0.1 says...
>>

>> It's a funny old world:
>> Banksy is an artist, the other guys are vandals.
>>

>> This mural, on Gorleston's north beach, depicts an arcade-style grabber
>> hovering over anyone sitting on the shelter bench. It was vandalised soon
>> after it appeared, with six teddy bears stencilled beneath and the words
>> "Banksy Collaboration Emo" added. The council cleaned it up and added a
>> protective screen.
>
> I quite liked the teddy bears. I wonder whether Banksy approved of their
> removal?

The teddy bears rather miss the point of the mural, which is depicting a
grabber ready to pick up whoever sits on the bench.