Scottish Paint Stripper

Adrian Caspersz

Jul 24, 2022, 7:44:45 PMJul 24

Tease'n'Seize

Jul 25, 2022, 4:34:57 AMJul 25
Adrian Caspersz wrote:

> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brewmeister-Snake-Venom-Fortified-Beer/dp/B071KQ2VZ4

Is it actually brewed to that strength, or do they just tip ethanol in?
The molisher's website has little to say on the matter

<https://www.brewmeister.co.uk>

John Williamson

Jul 25, 2022, 4:46:59 AMJul 25
The label shown in the advert linked to says ingredients are Ethanol and
beer, in that order, which basically makes it a type of alcopop.

So I'd guess the latter.

They also says that they recommend no more than 35ml per session, but
seal the bottle it with a crown cork, which won't be resealable, so
presumably, the second and subsequent days suffer from evaporative losses.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Pancho

Jul 25, 2022, 4:54:27 AMJul 25
On 25/07/2022 09:34, Tease'n'Seize wrote:
67.5% by volume. Obviously, they tip ethanol in. AIUI ethanol kills
yeast, so you can never brew beyond a certain strength.

At £55 quid a bottle you would be better off buying something like

<https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/34119>

And mixing it 70% with a beer of your choice.

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Jul 25, 2022, 5:30:02 AMJul 25
On Mon, 25 Jul 2022 09:54:26 +0100
Pancho <Pancho...@proton.me> wrote:

> 67.5% by volume. Obviously, they tip ethanol in. AIUI ethanol kills

That's not beer that's flavoured alcohol.

> yeast, so you can never brew beyond a certain strength.

Perhaps they could freeze distil it instead but pouring alcohol in
is the easy way.

> At £55 quid a bottle you would be better off buying something like

Lbooyd rip off.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Nicholas D. Richards

Jul 25, 2022, 5:34:50 AMJul 25
In article <jk73k2...@mid.individual.net>, John Williamson <johnwilli
am...@btinternet.com> on Mon, 25 Jul 2022 at 09:46:54 awoke Nicholas
from his slumbers and wrote
You could sit down with 8 of your mates and their dogs and finish it,
discussing the quality of the malt, hops and brewmeister's skill in
melding together the ingredients. Have I tried it? Hic jacet
0sterc@tcher
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Oů sont les neiges d'antan?"

Peter

Jul 25, 2022, 6:31:27 AMJul 25
Pancho <Pancho...@proton.me> wrote in
...or a bockle of meths.

--
Peter
-----

Richard Robinson

Jul 25, 2022, 7:00:25 AMJul 25
Adrian Caspersz said:
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brewmeister-Snake-Venom-Fortified-Beer/dp/B071KQ2VZ4
>
> "Do not exceed 35ml in one sitting"

Good grief. 67.5%. Whisk(e)y's (usually) 40%, yes ?

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Nicholas D. Richards

Jul 25, 2022, 7:03:21 AMJul 25
In article <XnsAEDF753527...@88.198.57.247>, Peter
<mys...@prune.org.uk> on Mon, 25 Jul 2022 at 10:31:26 awoke Nicholas
from his slumbers and wrote
>Pancho <Pancho...@proton.me> wrote in

>>> Is it actually brewed to that strength, or do they just tip ethanol
>>> in? The molisher's website has little to say on the matter
>>>
>>> <https://www.brewmeister.co.uk>
>>>

>> 67.5% by volume. Obviously, they tip ethanol in. AIUI ethanol kills
>> yeast, so you can never brew beyond a certain strength.
>>

>> At ÂĢ55 quid a bottle you would be better off buying something like
>>
>> <https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/34119>
>>
>> And mixing it 70% with a beer of your choice.
>
>...or a bockle of meths.

Blindingly obvious?
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Oų sont les neiges d'antan?"

Richard Robinson

Jul 25, 2022, 7:08:22 AMJul 25
Pancho said:
> On 25/07/2022 09:34, Tease'n'Seize wrote:
>> Adrian Caspersz wrote:
>>
>>> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brewmeister-Snake-Venom-Fortified-Beer/dp/B071KQ2VZ4
>>>

>> Is it actually brewed to that strength, or do they just tip ethanol in?
>> The molisher's website has little to say on the matter
>>
>> <https://www.brewmeister.co.uk>
>>

> 67.5% by volume. Obviously, they tip ethanol in. AIUI ethanol kills
> yeast, so you can never brew beyond a certain strength.

Yes; details depend on particular strains. I worked the French grape
harvest for a couple of years, picking the big muscats (among others),
of which the local variety went up to 21. I remarked to Quelq'un Qui
Savait Les Choses Com Ça ("excuse my French" if nec., it was a long time
ago) that I hadn't realised yeast would go so far, asking was it
fortified ? They said no, it really was just fermentation, using the
wild bloom on the grapeskins for yeast.

> At £55 quid a bottle you would be better off buying something like
>
><https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/34119>
>
> And mixing it 70% with a beer of your choice.

Richard Robinson

Jul 25, 2022, 7:21:10 AMJul 25
It might cummin handhi if you were into fortified drinks of any sort.
If you need so little it might even be cheap ? (Not a big interest, CBA
with pbzcnengvir fubccvat)

John Williamson

Jul 25, 2022, 7:30:04 AMJul 25
On 25/07/2022 12:21, Richard Robinson wrote:

> It might cummin handhi if you were into fortified drinks of any sort.
> If you need so little it might even be cheap ? (Not a big interest, CBA
> with pbzcnengvir fubccvat)

At the advertised price and recommended dosage, it's nearly seven quid a
pop.

Tease'n'Seize

Jul 25, 2022, 7:34:58 AMJul 25
Richard Robinson wrote:

> Pancho said:
>
>> 67.5% by volume. Obviously, they tip ethanol in. AIUI ethanol kills
>> yeast, so you can never brew beyond a certain strength.
>
> Yes; details depend on particular strains. I worked the French grape
> harvest for a couple of years, picking the big muscats (among others),
> of which the local variety went up to 21. I remarked to Quelq'un Qui
> Savait Les Choses Com Ça ("excuse my French" if nec., it was a long time
> ago) that I hadn't realised yeast would go so far, asking was it
> fortified ? They said no, it really was just fermentation, using the
> wild bloom on the grapeskins for yeast.

Is tactical nuclear penguin also fortified?

RustyHinge

Jul 25, 2022, 7:37:59 AMJul 25
On 25/07/2022 09:34, Tease'n'Seize wrote:
'Fortified' means spirit added later.

--
Rusty Hinge

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Jul 25, 2022, 8:00:32 AMJul 25
On Mon, 25 Jul 2022 06:00:19 -0500
Richard Robinson <rich...@privacy.net> wrote:

> Adrian Caspersz said:
> > https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brewmeister-Snake-Venom-Fortified-Beer/dp/B071KQ2VZ4
> >
> > "Do not exceed 35ml in one sitting"
>
> Good grief. 67.5%. Whisk(e)y's (usually) 40%, yes ?

Yep, that's about the strength of the paint stripper we used to
call Polish Spirit on the rare occasions it was seen.

Nicholas D. Richards

Jul 25, 2022, 8:22:33 AMJul 25
In article <FLqdnVfi4cE95EP_...@brightview.co.uk>, Richard
Robinson <rich...@privacy.net> on Mon, 25 Jul 2022 at 06:08:16 awoke
Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>Pancho said:

>Beer/dp/B071KQ2VZ4
>>>>

>>> Is it actually brewed to that strength, or do they just tip ethanol in?
>>> The molisher's website has little to say on the matter
>>>
>>> <https://www.brewmeister.co.uk>
>>>

>> 67.5% by volume. Obviously, they tip ethanol in. AIUI ethanol kills
>> yeast, so you can never brew beyond a certain strength.
>
>Yes; details depend on particular strains. I worked the French grape
>harvest for a couple of years, picking the big muscats (among others),
>of which the local variety went up to 21. I remarked to Quelq'un Qui
>Savait Les Choses Com Ça ("excuse my French" if nec., it was a long time
>ago) that I hadn't realised yeast would go so far, asking was it
>fortified ? They said no, it really was just fermentation, using the
>wild bloom on the grapeskins for yeast.

The wild yeasts stops working at anywhere between 10% and 15%, depending
upon the varieties naturally present on the natural grape skins, the pH
and the sugar content in the must and other environmental factors.
Higher levels of alcohol by volume up to about 20% can be achieved by
adding a cultured yeast such as Saccharomyces Cerevisiae.

Fortified wines like Port and Sherry have their fermentation stopped at
some point depending upon on the desired sweetness of the finished
product. The stop is achieved by adding 'brandy'. The quotes is because
the 'brandy' bears little resemblance to your VSOP.

>> At Ł55 quid a bottle you would be better off buying something like
>>
>><https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/34119>
>>
>> And mixing it 70% with a beer of your choice.

--
0sterc@tcher -

"Oů sont les neiges d'antan?"

maus

Jul 25, 2022, 8:54:24 AMJul 25
On 2022-07-25, Richard Robinson <rich...@privacy.net> wrote:
> Pancho said:

>>> Is it actually brewed to that strength, or do they just tip ethanol in?
>>> The molisher's website has little to say on the matter
>>>
>>> <https://www.brewmeister.co.uk>
>>>

>> 67.5% by volume. Obviously, they tip ethanol in. AIUI ethanol kills
>> yeast, so you can never brew beyond a certain strength.
>
> Yes; details depend on particular strains. I worked the French grape
> harvest for a couple of years, picking the big muscats (among others),
> of which the local variety went up to 21. I remarked to Quelq'un Qui
> Savait Les Choses Com Ça ("excuse my French" if nec., it was a long time
> ago) that I hadn't realised yeast would go so far, asking was it
> fortified ? They said no, it really was just fermentation, using the
> wild bloom on the grapeskins for yeast.

Germany also, stuff depending on bloom to fermenting, Hocken* something.
Used to be very expensive. I ran into it in local aldi, and it turned
out to be sickingly sweet.

>> At £55 quid a bottle you would be better off buying something like
>>
>><https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/34119>
>>
>> And mixing it 70% with a beer of your choice.

--
grey...@mail.com
"Are you sure that you can live on your investments after retirement?

Richard Robinson

Jul 25, 2022, 8:56:38 AMJul 25
No, it relies on mobile weaponry.

Ahem. I don't know, I've never investigated it. Might remember to check
the ingrediments if inSanesbury's have one next time I'm in.

Which reminds me, Yippee ! I've been testing covid+ for the last 3 weeks
solid (asymptomatic, I'm relieved to say) and came up clear yesterday.
So I don't have to feel guilty about a quick-as-possible masked-up dive
into the shops any longer.

inSanesbury's favourite from that point of view. More room to dodge
people than most, and reassuringly BFO ventilation system on display up
in the roof. It's a shame, the one I've most seen the need to avoid is
the 70s-survival organichippyminimaltransportwholefoodcoop that I'd most
prefer to give my foodzbarl to.

RustyHinge

Jul 25, 2022, 8:56:43 AMJul 25
On 25/07/2022 13:11, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:

> Fortified wines like Port and Sherry have their fermentation stopped at
> some point depending upon on the desired sweetness of the finished
> product. The stop is achieved by adding 'brandy'. The quotes is because
> the 'brandy' bears little resemblance to your VSOP.

Grappa?

RustyHinge

Jul 25, 2022, 9:03:00 AMJul 25
On 25/07/2022 12:33, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jul 2022 06:00:19 -0500
> Richard Robinson <rich...@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> Adrian Caspersz said:
>>> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brewmeister-Snake-Venom-Fortified-Beer/dp/B071KQ2VZ4
>>>
>>> "Do not exceed 35ml in one sitting"
>>
>> Good grief. 67.5%. Whisk(e)y's (usually) 40%, yes ?
>
> Yep, that's about the strength of the paint stripper we used to
> call Polish Spirit on the rare occasions it was seen.

When I jbexrq in Gamages' Wine Dept there was Polish Pure Spirit which
was *strong* - I don't unforget the %, but getting on towards pure
ethanol. It came in 50 cl bockles IIRC.

Richard Robinson

Jul 25, 2022, 9:16:49 AMJul 25
Ahem A Rivet's Shot said:
> On Mon, 25 Jul 2022 06:00:19 -0500
> Richard Robinson <rich...@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> Adrian Caspersz said:
>> > https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brewmeister-Snake-Venom-Fortified-Beer/dp/B071KQ2VZ4
>> >
>> > "Do not exceed 35ml in one sitting"
>>
>> Good grief. 67.5%. Whisk(e)y's (usually) 40%, yes ?
>
> Yep, that's about the strength of the paint stripper we used to
> call Polish Spirit on the rare occasions it was seen.

I unforget, that used to be a common recommendation in home-brew books.
100 proof ? pure ?

Along a similar line of things blending into very different things ... I
made a big mistake a couple of weeks ago. A tray of little red peppers
from a market-stall; I assumed without thinking that they would be a
miniature version of the innocuous "sweet" variety, and proceeded to
take the seeds out of one and stick half of it into my mouth. When I
recoverd, I looked at some pictures, courtesy of the web. Scotch bonnet,
I think. Do not do this unless you know what you're doing. (1/2 hour
after I'd spat the thing out as fast as I could, my eyes started
stinging pretty painfully, one of them swelled up halfclosed. [1]

Which led me to a List ... it's by no means the most extreme,
said to go up to about 100k units, there's one that goes up to 2million.
Which led to more they-don't-call-it-the-web-for-nothing - peppers stop
at the same number that CS gas is said to start from.

[1] I don't really Do demos (apart from my country starting wars on
trum^bushHblaired-up grounds, and so on. Particularly of the teargas sort.
It was _way_ more extreme than anything I'd ever met before.

Richard Robinson

Jul 25, 2022, 9:30:14 AMJul 25
*shrug* The cave-jbexre I was talking with said, nothing else. I have no
independ*e*nt knowledge.

Nicholas D. Richards

Jul 25, 2022, 10:34:52 AMJul 25
In article <tbm4a3$181c1$1...@dont-email.me>, RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@fooba
r.girolle.co.uk> on Mon, 25 Jul 2022 at 14:02:57 awoke Nicholas from
his slumbers and wrote
>On 25/07/2022 12:33, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
>> On Mon, 25 Jul 2022 06:00:19 -0500
>> Richard Robinson <rich...@privacy.net> wrote:

>Beer/dp/B071KQ2VZ4

>>> Good grief. 67.5%. Whisk(e)y's (usually) 40%, yes ?
>>
>> Yep, that's about the strength of the paint stripper we used to
>> call Polish Spirit on the rare occasions it was seen.
>

>When I jbexrq in Gamages' Wine Dept there was Polish Pure Spirit which
>was *strong* - I don't unforget the %, but getting on towards pure
>ethanol. It came in 50 cl bockles IIRC.

A Polish fiend used to add it to Vimto Cordial (before Vimto started
reducing the sugar and adding sweateners*, ugh). Not to my taste.

*They still call it 'original' Vimto even though it is nothing like and
disgusting. I have stopped drinking Vimto because of this.

Nicholas D. Richards

Jul 25, 2022, 10:34:52 AMJul 25
In article <tbm3ua$17sh4$1...@dont-email.me>, RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@fooba
r.girolle.co.uk> on Mon, 25 Jul 2022 at 13:56:41 awoke Nicholas from
his slumbers and wrote
>On 25/07/2022 13:11, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
>
>> Fortified wines like Port and Sherry have their fermentation stopped at
>> some point depending upon on the desired sweetness of the finished
>> product. The stop is achieved by adding 'brandy'. The quotes is because
>> the 'brandy' bears little resemblance to your VSOP.
>
>Grappa?

Doubt it, grappa has a quite distinctive taste (grape stalks, grape pips
etc) which would rather spoil the taste of port. Do not get me wrong, I
like grappa.

The Portuguese call it aguardente vínica which can also be aged to make
aguardente velha which translates as 'old burning water'. Aguardente is
described as a spirit with no or neutral taste.

I have tasted port after it has been freshly put in the barrel to be
aged and it burns. How the port house tasters can tell that this
freshly barrelled port is good enough for a vintage I do not know.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Sam Plusnet

Jul 25, 2022, 2:30:55 PMJul 25
On 25-Jul-22 12:37, RustyHinge wrote:
> On 25/07/2022 09:34, Tease'n'Seize wrote:
>> Adrian Caspersz wrote:
>>
>>> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brewmeister-Snake-Venom-Fortified-Beer/dp/B071KQ2VZ4
>>>

>> Is it actually brewed to that strength, or do they just tip ethanol in?
>> The molisher's website has little to say on the matter
>>
>> <https://www.brewmeister.co.uk>
>
> 'Fortified' means spirit added later.

Yes. It's difficult to crenelate a bottle of wine.

--
Sam Plusnet

Sam Plusnet

Jul 25, 2022, 2:34:16 PMJul 25
On 25-Jul-22 12:00, Richard Robinson wrote:
> Adrian Caspersz said:
>> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brewmeister-Snake-Venom-Fortified-Beer/dp/B071KQ2VZ4
>>
>> "Do not exceed 35ml in one sitting"
>
> Good grief. 67.5%. Whisk(e)y's (usually) 40%, yes ?

Even Navy rum is/was only 54.5%.

--
Sam Plusnet

Pancho

Jul 25, 2022, 2:46:17 PMJul 25
On 25/07/2022 10:10, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jul 2022 09:54:26 +0100
> Pancho <Pancho...@proton.me> wrote:
>
>> 67.5% by volume. Obviously, they tip ethanol in. AIUI ethanol kills
>
> That's not beer that's flavoured alcohol.
>
>> yeast, so you can never brew beyond a certain strength.
>
> Perhaps they could freeze distil it instead but pouring alcohol in
> is the easy way.

When I was young and poor, I used to brew my own beer. I tried freeze
distilling, it made a sickly, syrupy type of drink. I can't remember if
I every made or drank enough to know if it was strongly alcoholic, all I
can remember is that it tasted disgusting.

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Jul 25, 2022, 3:00:02 PMJul 25
On Mon, 25 Jul 2022 08:16:43 -0500
Richard Robinson <rich...@privacy.net> wrote:

> Ahem A Rivet's Shot said:
> > On Mon, 25 Jul 2022 06:00:19 -0500
> > Richard Robinson <rich...@privacy.net> wrote:

> >> Good grief. 67.5%. Whisk(e)y's (usually) 40%, yes ?
> >
> > Yep, that's about the strength of the paint stripper we used to
> > call Polish Spirit on the rare occasions it was seen.
>
> I unforget, that used to be a common recommendation in home-brew books.
> 100 proof ? pure ?

The stuff we saw was 140 proof, it dehydrated the throat
aggressively.

maus

Jul 25, 2022, 3:27:31 PMJul 25
I think that in the old days, it was over 90%. Old grogham got famous by
adding water.

maus

Jul 25, 2022, 3:29:33 PMJul 25
Applejack, popular in New England, easily copied by putting cider in a
very flexible container in the frig.

Peter

Jul 25, 2022, 4:19:30 PMJul 25
Ahem A Rivet's Shot <ste...@eircom.net> wrote in
When I jbexed in a lab, often late into the small hours, I'd put a shot of
absolute alcohol into my coffee before cycling home. I found it helped.

Drinking it neat, the taste was uninteresting. Maybe because there were no
congeners, or maybe it just anesthetised the palate.

--
Peter
-----

Richard Robinson

Jul 25, 2022, 4:38:16 PMJul 25
Especially if you want to drink the contents.

Richard Robinson

Jul 25, 2022, 4:40:15 PMJul 25
Ahem A Rivet's Shot said:
> On Mon, 25 Jul 2022 08:16:43 -0500
> Richard Robinson <rich...@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> Ahem A Rivet's Shot said:

>> > Yep, that's about the strength of the paint stripper we used to
>> > call Polish Spirit on the rare occasions it was seen.
>>
>> I unforget, that used to be a common recommendation in home-brew books.
>> 100 proof ? pure ?
>
> The stuff we saw was 140 proof, it dehydrated the throat
> aggressively.

I bet. I had a bottle of 100proof whisky once, it was a v. noticeable
effect by then.

Nicholas D. Richards

Jul 25, 2022, 6:03:06 PMJul 25
In article <xjBDK.644109$JVi.1...@fx17.iad>, Sam Plusnet
<n...@home.com> on Mon, 25 Jul 2022 at 19:30:53 awoke Nicholas from his
slumbers and wrote
For some reason that made me think of Sgt. Speakman VC.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Oů sont les neiges d'antan?"

Mike Spencer

Jul 25, 2022, 6:26:53 PMJul 25

Peter <mys...@prune.org.uk> writes:

> When I jbexed in a lab, often late into the small hours, I'd put a
> shot of absolute alcohol into my coffee before cycling home. I found
> it helped.

When I were a chemical person 1.3 kilofortnights ago, it was said
around the lab that this was a Bad Idea. Azeotropic water/alcohol is
around 96%. Absolute alcohol is produced by adding benzene. The last
water is eliminated aafter further distillation but traces of benzene
remain to converse with you liver.

> Drinking it neat, the taste was uninteresting. Maybe because there
> were no congeners, or maybe it just anesthetised the palate.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

RustyHinge

Jul 25, 2022, 10:47:14 PMJul 25
With beer, the procedure is *don't*. Generally, any sugar and most
flavours come out with the liquid.

OK procedure for cider and many 'country wines'.

RustyHinge

Jul 25, 2022, 10:52:32 PMJul 25
On 25/07/2022 15:34, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:

> *They still call it 'original' Vimto even though it is nothing like and
> disgusting. I have stopped drinking Vimto because of this.

+1

RustyHinge

Jul 25, 2022, 10:59:51 PMJul 25
On 25/07/2022 21:40, Richard Robinson wrote:
> Ahem A Rivet's Shot said:
>> On Mon, 25 Jul 2022 08:16:43 -0500
>> Richard Robinson <rich...@privacy.net> wrote:

>>> I unforget, that used to be a common recommendation in home-brew books.
>>> 100 proof ? pure ?
>>
>> The stuff we saw was 140 proof, it dehydrated the throat
>> aggressively.
>
> I bet. I had a bottle of 100proof whisky once, it was a v. noticeable
> effect by then.

It should be unforgotten that 100 proof means means 'proof', which is
that concentration of alcohol which, when added to a pile of gnupowder
is sufficiently strong to ignite the powder before it stops burning.

It does not mean pure alcohol.

RustyHinge

Jul 25, 2022, 11:03:39 PMJul 25
On 25/07/2022 20:27, maus wrote:
> On 2022-07-25, Sam Plusnet <n...@home.com> wrote:

>>> Good grief. 67.5%. Whisk(e)y's (usually) 40%, yes ?
>>
>> Even Navy rum is/was only 54.5%.
>>

> I think that in the old days, it was over 90%. Old grogham got famous by
> adding water.

Complicated - Old Grogham was so-called because of the material of his
coat, and 'grog' was watered rum.

Admiral Vernon, IIRC.

maus

Jul 26, 2022, 2:21:40 AMJul 26
A word means what I say it means.

Some ol guy in the us that owned a magazine

the above about `proof' is correct.

Peter

Jul 26, 2022, 5:41:03 AMJul 26
Mike Spencer <m...@bogus.nodomain.nowhere> wrote in

> Peter <mys...@prune.org.uk> writes:
>
>> When I jbexed in a lab, often late into the small hours, I'd put a
>> shot of absolute alcohol into my coffee before cycling home. I found
>> it helped.
>
> When I were a chemical person 1.3 kilofortnights ago, it was said
> around the lab that this was a Bad Idea. Azeotropic water/alcohol is
> around 96%. Absolute alcohol is produced by adding benzene. The last
> water is eliminated aafter further distillation but traces of benzene
> remain to converse with you liver.

Ours was pure to analytical standards, which meant 99%. I was aware of the
possibility of benzene but not that bothered in those amounts. Tasted OK in
coffee.

--
Peter
-----

Richard Robinson

Jul 26, 2022, 6:21:32 AMJul 26
I think Iremember trying it with the dregs of Jngarl'f Cnegl ahzore. I
daresay it wouldn't be a suprise to learn that it wasn't worth the
trouble, however little that was.

Richard Robinson

Jul 26, 2022, 6:23:00 AMJul 26
Which is why I asked "100 proof ? pure ?", yes.

Bernard Peek

Jul 26, 2022, 7:57:58 AMJul 26
On 2022-07-25, Mike Spencer <m...@bogus.nodomain.nowhere> wrote:

> Peter <mys...@prune.org.uk> writes:
>
>> When I jbexed in a lab, often late into the small hours, I'd put a
>> shot of absolute alcohol into my coffee before cycling home. I found
>> it helped.
>
> When I were a chemical person 1.3 kilofortnights ago, it was said
> around the lab that this was a Bad Idea. Azeotropic water/alcohol is
> around 96%. Absolute alcohol is produced by adding benzene. The last
> water is eliminated aafter further distillation but traces of benzene
> remain to converse with you liver.

There are many different grades of 'pure' alcohol. Some have benzene in,
some don't. An alternative way of getting rid of the water was to add
metallic calcium. All you needed to do after that was filter it. I was
supervising production of 'flavour-grade' alcohol that starts with
notionally pure ethanol and distils it. We made it in 10,000 litre batches.

Every so often someone from the plant would turn up with a pint of
distillate. I took my 0.1 microlitre sample and disposed of the rest.

>> Drinking it neat, the taste was uninteresting. Maybe because there
>> were no congeners, or maybe it just anesthetised the palate.

I thought it tated like vodka. I don't drink vodka. But at the time I had
access to the flavour reference-library so could have pretty much whatever
took my fancy at the time,

--
Bernard Peek
b...@shrdlu.com

Bernard Peek

Jul 26, 2022, 8:04:00 AMJul 26
On 2022-07-26, RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
Middle-leftpondia uses the same word but with a slighly different meaning.
100 proof there means 50% alcohol. It's 57.5% in the UK.

> It does not mean pure alcohol.

--
Bernard Peek
b...@shrdlu.com

RustyHinge

Jul 26, 2022, 8:11:10 AMJul 26
No

Tone

Jul 26, 2022, 9:23:26 AMJul 26
On 26/07/2022 11:22, Richard Robinson wrote:
'Proof' is approx. 1.75x the ABV, thus Pussers* Rum as issued neat to
the RN Senior ranks at 54.6ABV was about 95.5 Proof.

*Speel chucker wants to change this to 'Pissers'

Tone (ex AA1)

Sam Plusnet

Jul 26, 2022, 3:41:59 PMJul 26
"The Press of the time nicknamed him the 'beerbottle' VC, something he
disliked for fear that it suggested he and his colleagues drank beer
while on duty; the beer was in fact used to cool gun barrels."

Of course soldiers wouldn't dream of drinking "beer - gun barrels for
the cooling of".

--
Sam Plusnet

Richard Robinson

Jul 26, 2022, 3:55:11 PMJul 26
But, let me guess, the required quantity was ever so very slightly more
than half a bottle ?

Nicholas D. Richards

Jul 26, 2022, 4:39:42 PMJul 26
In article <asXDK.43447$8f2....@fx38.iad>, Sam Plusnet <n...@home.com>
on Tue, 26 Jul 2022 at 20:41:58 awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and
wrote
>On 25-Jul-22 23:02, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
>> In article <xjBDK.644109$JVi.1...@fx17.iad>, Sam Plusnet
>> <n...@home.com> on Mon, 25 Jul 2022 at 19:30:53 awoke Nicholas from his
>> slumbers and wrote

>>> Beer/dp/B071KQ2VZ4

>>> Yes. It's difficult to crenelate a bottle of wine.
>>>
>> For some reason that made me think of Sgt. Speakman VC.
>
>"The Press of the time nicknamed him the 'beerbottle' VC, something he
>disliked for fear that it suggested he and his colleagues drank beer
>while on duty; the beer was in fact used to cool gun barrels."
>
>Of course soldiers wouldn't dream of drinking "beer - gun barrels for
>the cooling of".

Beer - soldiers for the pissing of
Piss - gun barrels for the cooling of

Richard Robinson

Jul 26, 2022, 4:56:47 PMJul 26
Assertions of organic recycling policies - for the making of

Nicholas D. Richards

Jul 26, 2022, 6:39:05 PMJul 26
In article <XqWdnb7is_uUyH3_...@brightview.co.uk>, Richard
Robinson <rich...@privacy.net> on Tue, 26 Jul 2022 at 15:56:41 awoke
If we are not careful we will be Naming the Parts.

Julian Macassey

Jul 26, 2022, 6:55:02 PMJul 26
On Tue, 26 Jul 2022 21:31:41 +0100, Nicholas D. Richards <nich...@salmiron.com> wrote:
> In article <asXDK.43447$8f2....@fx38.iad>, Sam Plusnet <n...@home.com>
>>>>
>>> For some reason that made me think of Sgt. Speakman VC.
>>
>>"The Press of the time nicknamed him the 'beerbottle' VC, something he
>>disliked for fear that it suggested he and his colleagues drank beer
>>while on duty; the beer was in fact used to cool gun barrels."
>>
>>Of course soldiers wouldn't dream of drinking "beer - gun barrels for
>>the cooling of".
>>
> Beer - soldiers for the pissing of
> Piss - gun barrels for the cooling of

I recall reading about a soldier in teh desert during
WWII, he had managed to procure a bottle of beer and had set on a
wall at night to cool off. Who said the Brits like warm beer? A
German plane flew over on a strafing run and hit the bottle of
beer.

As for piss, a colleague told me about being a soldier in
the Korean war, it was so cold that the action of his M1 would
freeze, so in order to able to shoot back, he had to piss on his
rifle.

--
The internet was a virtual commons, but it got privatized and
that's why we're all on twitter and Facebook now. - @togethercomrade

Mike Fleming

Jul 27, 2022, 5:52:41 AMJul 27
On 25/07/2022 12:30, John Williamson wrote:
> On 25/07/2022 12:21, Richard Robinson wrote:
>
>> It might cummin handhi if you were into fortified drinks of any sort.
>> If you need so little it might even be cheap ? (Not a big interest, CBA
>> with pbzcnengvir fubccvat)
>>

> At the advertised price and recommended dosage, it's nearly seven quid a
> pop.

Much more economical to go for something off
https://www.masterofmalt.com/country/polish-spirit/ - the first one is
1.5 times the volume, 1.5 times the strength, and < 60% of the price.

Mike Fleming

Jul 27, 2022, 5:54:02 AMJul 27
On 25/07/2022 12:08, Richard Robinson wrote:
> Pancho said:

>>> Is it actually brewed to that strength, or do they just tip ethanol in?
>>> The molisher's website has little to say on the matter
>>>
>>> <https://www.brewmeister.co.uk>
>>>

>> 67.5% by volume. Obviously, they tip ethanol in. AIUI ethanol kills
>> yeast, so you can never brew beyond a certain strength.
>
> Yes; details depend on particular strains. I worked the French grape
> harvest for a couple of years, picking the big muscats (among others),
> of which the local variety went up to 21. I remarked to Quelq'un Qui
> Savait Les Choses Com Ça ("excuse my French" if nec., it was a long time
> ago) that I hadn't realised yeast would go so far, asking was it
> fortified ? They said no, it really was just fermentation, using the
> wild bloom on the grapeskins for yeast.

That's impressive. For home winemaking you can get yeasts that go to
around 15% (champagne yeasts IIRC).

John Williamson

Jul 27, 2022, 6:15:12 AMJul 27
I was referring to the "beer". Sixty-five GBZU per bottle of 8 anna bit
tots.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Mike Fleming

Jul 27, 2022, 6:41:04 AMJul 27
On 26/07/2022 23:55, Julian Macassey wrote:

> I recall reading about a soldier in teh desert during
> WWII, he had managed to procure a bottle of beer and had set on a
> wall at night to cool off. Who said the Brits like warm beer? A
> German plane flew over on a strafing run and hit the bottle of
> beer.

That's impressively low flying.

Mike Fleming

Jul 27, 2022, 6:43:05 AMJul 27
On 25/07/2022 12:33, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jul 2022 06:00:19 -0500
> Richard Robinson <rich...@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> Adrian Caspersz said:
>>> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brewmeister-Snake-Venom-Fortified-Beer/dp/B071KQ2VZ4
>>>
>>> "Do not exceed 35ml in one sitting"
>>
>> Good grief. 67.5%. Whisk(e)y's (usually) 40%, yes ?
>
> Yep, that's about the strength of the paint stripper we used to
> call Polish Spirit on the rare occasions it was seen.

We had Polish Pure Spirit behind the bar at the hall of residence that I
was in, in That London. Haven't had it since. Not sure if there was much
difference between it and the formaldehyde that the dog and cat
carcasses were kept in at my college.

Mike Fleming

Jul 27, 2022, 6:52:52 AMJul 27
On 25/07/2022 14:16, Richard Robinson wrote:

> Along a similar line of things blending into very different things ... I
> made a big mistake a couple of weeks ago. A tray of little red peppers
> from a market-stall; I assumed without thinking that they would be a
> miniature version of the innocuous "sweet" variety, and proceeded to
> take the seeds out of one and stick half of it into my mouth. When I
> recoverd, I looked at some pictures, courtesy of the web. Scotch bonnet,
> I think. Do not do this unless you know what you're doing. (1/2 hour
> after I'd spat the thing out as fast as I could, my eyes started
> stinging pretty painfully, one of them swelled up halfclosed. [1]
>
> Which led me to a List ... it's by no means the most extreme,
> said to go up to about 100k units, there's one that goes up to 2million.
> Which led to more they-don't-call-it-the-web-for-nothing - peppers stop
> at the same number that CS gas is said to start from.

The Scoville scale?

Decades ago I was at a party at a friend's house. Said friend (Mick)
grew chilis. Another friend (Sol) said he liked chilis and was offered
one by Mick, who warned him about the strength. "Oh, that's fine" said
Sol and put the entire small pepper into his mouth. It was like one of
those old cartoons where steam starts coming out of the character's
ears. It took him a fair while to recover from that.

RustyHinge

Jul 27, 2022, 7:15:28 AMJul 27
On 27/07/2022 11:43, Mike Fleming wrote:

> We had Polish Pure Spirit behind the bar at the hall of residence that I
> was in, in That London. Haven't had it since. Not sure if there was much
> difference between it and the formaldehyde that the dog and cat
> carcasses were kept in at my college.

Polish Pure Spirit is infinitely more potable than formaldehyde. Except
under overindulgency circumstances, P.P.S. won't kill you...

Richard Robinson

Jul 27, 2022, 7:27:51 AMJul 27