a king's Ransomes

hub...@ccanoemail.com

Aug 3, 2022, 11:31:28 AMAug 3

At auction near me < southwest Ontario Canada >

Just in case there are any oldtimers here who like to
reminisce about the good old days on the farm . . :-)

https://jacobauctions.hibid.com/lot/127375512/1958-ransomes-tractor-with-3-point-hitch/?cpage=2&ipp=100&q=&ref=catalog

Brian - it's a 1958 Ransomes track drive tractor with attachments.

John T.

maus

Aug 3, 2022, 11:50:17 AMAug 3
Ransomes, Simms, Jefferies, Norwich, (spelling may be misremembered)
were the people who made trashing machines, before combine harvesters
become common. I worked at them when I was a lad, removing chaff.

I knew a man who collected them, then in a moment of depression, burned
them all, before leaving Ireland. There were some still around up to
about twenty years ago

--
grey...@mail.org
Fi Fi Fo Fum, I smell the stench of an influencer

Brian Gaff

Aug 3, 2022, 12:21:27 PMAug 3
I remember in the 1980s, I spent some time on Sark. Considering their sales
pitch off using horses and bicycles there were a lot of smoke belching old
tractors over there at that time, and their diesel engine power station was
not what one could call clean!
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
<hub...@ccanoemail.com> wrote in message

Peter

Aug 4, 2022, 4:32:22 AMAug 4
hub...@ccanoemail.com wrote in
I have never jbexed on a farm so am unable to reminisce, but that is a
wonderful old chamine. Thanks for the photo - I shall forward it to my chum
in southeast Ontario, who enjoys this sort of thing.

--
Peter
-----

RustyHinge

Aug 4, 2022, 5:15:31 AMAug 4
I've worked with older kit. Helped harvest a field of thatching wheat
(which is prolly three times tallerer than modern crops).

It was cut with a land-drive bar and gathered into bundles and bound by
a binder (what else?), then gathered into shocks (stooks) to dry. Land
drive means that the motive power for the chaminery was taken from the
axle as the contraption was pulled - in this case by a pair of horses.

We then loaded the shocks on to a flatbed trailer first by hand, then
using pitchfrocks, which were taken to the site of the strawstack. The
stack was built on a wooden frame which was raised on staddle stones
(stone 'mushrooms' to try to!) keep the stack out of the reach of rats.

The following year around Easter the ears were threshed (when the price
had risen to its expected highest point before the next harvest).

Thatching corn (wheat) is a precarious crop as a heavy downpour or high
winds can flatten it and make it useless for thatching, though often,
much of the grain can be saved.

--
Rusty Hinge

Kerr-Mudd, John

Aug 4, 2022, 7:30:20 AMAug 4
"My Father Before Me"
Oh that seems to be an USAnian reminisce, the book I read was about
life in erm the Cotswolds, I think. No hang on it was rural Surrey? anyway
his dad was a Thatcher, and w(c)ouldn't see that his way of life had ended
with the opening up of the US West, where they could produce wheat much
more cheaply.

Ah I have it - I was right with the title, it's by Norman Goodman - seems
to be fiction though. Ah but based on a real place:
http://www.baughurstsociety.org.uk/history/102-2/

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

hub...@ccanoemail.com

Aug 4, 2022, 9:13:46 AMAug 4
On Thu, 4 Aug 2022 08:32:21 -0000 (UTC), Peter <mys...@prune.org.uk>
wrote:
It's an oddity in my experience for sure. And to come in
working condition and some accessory implements is even
better for the collector-types.
The same link shows that it sold for $ 3575. Canadian
< plus auctioneer fee 15 % plus sales tax 13 % >
= $ 4576.
John T.

maus

Aug 4, 2022, 9:17:53 AMAug 4
On 2022-08-04, RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
> On 03/08/2022 16:31, hub...@ccanoemail.com wrote:
>>
>> At auction near me < southwest Ontario Canada >
>>
>> Just in case there are any oldtimers here who like to
>> reminisce about the good old days on the farm . . :-)
>>

>> https://jacobauctions.hibid.com/lot/127375512/1958-ransomes-tractor-with-3-point-hitch/?cpage=2&ipp=100&q=&ref=catalog
>>
>> Brian - it's a 1958 Ransomes track drive tractor with attachments.
>
> I've worked with older kit. Helped harvest a field of thatching wheat
> (which is prolly three times tallerer than modern crops).

oats is generally used here for thatching. Rye would be better, but hard
to find. Trashing oats is a good way now of getting undamaged stalks.
Generally, a thatched house is hard to insure, unless the thatch is
treated with a fireretardent, whih makes the thatch to degrade quicker.

I Once helped to demolish a house once, sheet time over thatch, when we
removed the tin, we discovered that thatch had caught fire and went out
under the tine. I would think that a mudwalled hoouse with thatch would
be far more warm in the Winter than the modern ones, and not retain
radon gas like the insulated ones do.

> It was cut with a land-drive bar and gathered into bundles and bound by
> a binder (what else?), then gathered into shocks (stooks) to dry. Land
> drive means that the motive power for the chaminery was taken from the
> axle as the contraption was pulled - in this case by a pair of horses.

done that, and got no tshirt.

> We then loaded the shocks on to a flatbed trailer first by hand, then
> using pitchfrocks, which were taken to the site of the strawstack. The
> stack was built on a wooden frame which was raised on staddle stones
> (stone 'mushrooms' to try to!) keep the stack out of the reach of rats.
>
> The following year around Easter the ears were threshed (when the price
> had risen to its expected highest point before the next harvest).
>
> Thatching corn (wheat) is a precarious crop as a heavy downpour or high
> winds can flatten it and make it useless for thatching, though often,
> much of the grain can be saved.

hub...@ccanoemail.com

Aug 4, 2022, 9:20:07 AMAug 4
We have neighbours who still use horse-power in the fields -
old order Mennonite / Amish.
I've seen the hand-tied sheaves in hand-stacked stooks
but never seen how they thresh it.
John T.

Don Stockbauer

Aug 4, 2022, 9:48:51 AMAug 4
Don't they use a nuclear powered submarine?

John Williamson

Aug 4, 2022, 10:14:15 AMAug 4
They consider gas lighting to be too advanced to use at home. Their
local Walmart has designated parking spaces for their horses and buggies.

Anyroadup, John T. this is how it's done.

https://youtu.be/JjJiG2Bfdvc

The impacts separate the grain and chaff (The seed surrounds) from the
stalks, the seeds and chaff are swept up, the the chaff is got rid of by
using a sieve to throw the mixture in the air, the chaff gets blown
away, and the clean seeds are caught in the sieve. I'm not entirely sure
how they get rid of any small stones in the final result.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

maus

Aug 4, 2022, 10:21:15 AMAug 4
> Don't they use a nuclear powered submarir

Thats why they painted it yellow :)

Sheaves are very hard on the hands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywQKYs1UV7M

Picture from around Whitby, around 1900. I play it when I am feeling
down.

hub...@ccanoemail.com

Aug 4, 2022, 10:50:36 AMAug 4
Thanks for sharing - beautiful music and photos !
John T.

Tone

Aug 4, 2022, 12:09:12 PMAug 4
On 04/08/2022 15:50, hub...@ccanoemail.com wrote:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywQKYs1UV7M
>
> Picture from around Whitby, around 1900. I play it when I am feeling
> down.

Absolutely wonderful!

I have one of those prints hanging on my wall here (Of the two gentlemen
on Whitby quay with the young girl between them.)

Photographs taken by Frank Meadow Sutcliffe between 1875 and 1910 in and
around Whitby.

https://www.sutcliffe.gallery/

Tone

Brian D

Aug 4, 2022, 8:37:08 PMAug 4
John Williamson <johnwil...@btinternet.com> wrote:

> The impacts separate the grain and chaff (The seed surrounds) from the
> stalks, the seeds and chaff are swept up, the the chaff is got rid of by
> using a sieve to throw the mixture in the air, the chaff gets blown away,
> and the clean seeds are caught in the sieve. I'm not entirely sure how
> they get rid of any small stones in the final result.

You spit em out.

--
Braind

Nicholas D. Richards

Aug 5, 2022, 12:29:10 PMAug 5
In article <tcgqv6$2rmlp$1...@dont-email.me>, Tone <to...@email.com> on
Thu, 4 Aug 2022 at 17:09:10 awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
Thank Tony, I have just wasted 3 delightful hours.

--
0sterc@tcher -

"Oů sont les neiges d'antan?"

Tone

Aug 5, 2022, 1:03:22 PMAug 5
You're well come.

Tone

Mike Fleming

Aug 5, 2022, 6:17:16 PMAug 5
On 04/08/2022 14:48, Don Stockbauer wrote:
No, that's ammonites.

Mike Fleming

Aug 5, 2022, 6:17:50 PMAug 5
It's roughage, innit.

Nicholas D. Richards

Aug 6, 2022, 11:48:40 AMAug 6
In article <jl5j7a...@mid.individual.net>, Mike Fleming
<mi...@tauzero.co.uk> on Fri, 5 Aug 2022 at 23:17:13 awoke Nicholas from
his slumbers and wrote
Or amennonites?

Richard Robinson

Aug 6, 2022, 11:57:18 AMAug 6
Amonia mites.

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Don Stockbauer

Aug 6, 2022, 12:30:00 PMAug 6
maus

Aug 4, 2022, 9:21:15 AM (2 days ago)

maus said:

Thats why they painted it yellow :)

Sheaves are very hard on the hands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywQKYs1UV7M

Picture from around Whitby, around 1900. I play it when I am feeling
down.

***********
Stockbauer said:

I know one thing that's hard on your hands ; to pick okra without gloves.

I wish I didn't have such trouble with heavy accents.

Richard Robinson

Aug 6, 2022, 1:50:37 PMAug 6
Richard Robinson said:
> Nicholas D. Richards said:
>> In article <jl5j7a...@mid.individual.net>, Mike Fleming
>><mi...@tauzero.co.uk> on Fri, 5 Aug 2022 at 23:17:13 awoke Nicholas from
>> his slumbers and wrote

>>>No, that's ammonites.
>>
>> Or amennonites?
>
> Amonia mites.

I thought that looked wrong. Double 'm', innit. A qualmograph.