I should have tried all the alleged attributes

RustyHinge

May 20, 2022, 3:08:11 PM5/20/22
Usual carer O'Nolliday, so had - um, I'll rephrase that, under the
circumferences - an agency carer unknown to me came. Agency hadn't told
her it was my shooping day, but, ho-hum, I always make a clear list.

I asked her if she knew Wymondham, and she volunteered the info that
she'd just moved to the area. Naturally I asked from where, and it was a
well-known Esturine town on the north side of Old Father Thames,
somewhere I knew well.

Essex Gril, I gooved, I'd better make sure she understands everything. I
wonder if - oh, never mind...

Off she goes. She finds Wymondham. She finds Morrison's and she returns
toot-sweet. No watercress, but no stupidmarket seems to have any these
days. no EDP (Eastern Daily Press) - prolly never heard of it down
there, but she might have asked a Morrison's employee - list says: 1
bag of LOOSE LEAF Yorkshire tea + thick-cut STREAKY bacon, smoked, + 3 x
Bramley Apple Pies (NOT Kipling).

For those items I got 1 box of Yorkshire teabags + smoked streaky bacon,
paper-thin + 1 x Bramley Apple Pies (NOT Kipling).

Perhaps I should have investigated that other attribute?

--
Rusty Hinge

James Heaton

May 20, 2022, 4:04:39 PM5/20/22
"RustyHinge" wrote in message news:t68ouq$t5d$1...@dont-email.me...

>Usual carer O'Nolliday, so had - um, I'll rephrase that, under the
>circumferences - an agency carer unknown to me came. Agency hadn't told her
>it was my shooping day, but, ho-hum, I always make a clear list.

>I asked her if she knew Wymondham, and she volunteered the info that she'd
>just moved to the area. Naturally I asked from where, and it was a
>well-known Esturine town on the north side of Old Father Thames, somewhere
>I knew well.

>Essex Gril, I gooved, I'd better make sure she understands everything. I
>wonder if - oh, never mind...

>Off she goes. She finds Wymondham. She finds Morrison's and she returns
>toot-sweet. No watercress, but no stupidmarket seems to have any these
>days. no EDP (Eastern Daily Press) - prolly never heard of it down there,
>but she might have asked a Morrison's employee

The papers are in a strange place there - convenient for the cigs kiosk but
involving crossing the path of anyone leaving.

Like you say, she could have asked...

Does anyone know if there's an Essex morning paper? Suppose it's too far
south for EADT.

I did manage to get an EDP on Colchester station once, changing trains.
That was a surprise.

James

RustyHinge

May 20, 2022, 4:45:28 PM5/20/22
Romford Times still going? I used to get the EADT in Barking years ago.

Nick Odell

May 21, 2022, 9:17:50 AM5/21/22
It must be more than three years since we had this conversation (Which
conversation? This one.) Back then you said that nobody will deliver
out your way for love nor money. Not quite your own words but you get
the picture.

A lot has changed since then. Covid for one thing. Now everybody
delivers. Even my village shop offers deliveries. When I think what
you must be paying a carer to go out to the shops instead of -well-
caring, I think you could probably get a couple or three paid-for
deliveries for that amount and some shops deliver free anyway.

If a quick browse through the internet for deliveries from your
horriblemarkets and corner shops doesn't get you anywhere maybe a chat
with someone from the nearest branch of Age Concern might help. If
it's not something they've thought about before then maybe they should
now. I'm confident that you are not the only person in a rural
location with exactly the same delivery issues.

Nick

RustyHinge

May 21, 2022, 2:20:37 PM5/21/22
Trublis now, HM Gummermint has moved the goalposts. Out comes the debit
crad. Molish my choices and get to 'Secure Checkout' and oh osddti! They
want me to receive a text and confirm I' mantling the transaction - no
boodly mobile signal, can't hfr my phobile, and I'm not mobile, so can't
walk/hobble the 100 yards down the road where there *is* a signal.

I *used to* ohl a lot of stuff online, but HM's goovageless wttas have
put the kaibosh on simple crad hfr. I shall write to my banque and try
to arrange something, but CBA ATM. (Trying to talk to them by landline
(last time I tried) takes half the day - literally.

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

May 21, 2022, 5:30:02 PM5/21/22
On Sat, 21 May 2022 19:20:35 +0100
RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:

> Trublis now, HM Gummermint has moved the goalposts. Out comes the debit
> crad. Molish my choices and get to 'Secure Checkout' and oh osddti! They
> want me to receive a text and confirm I' mantling the transaction - no
> boodly mobile signal, can't hfr my phobile, and I'm not mobile, so can't
> walk/hobble the 100 yards down the road where there *is* a signal.

One thing that surprises me is that nobody has organised a way to
get texts to a landline.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Brian D

May 21, 2022, 8:01:06 PM5/21/22
Ahem A Rivet's Shot <ste...@eircom.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 21 May 2022 19:20:35 +0100 RustyHinge
> <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Trublis now, HM Gummermint has moved the goalposts. Out comes the debit
> > crad. Molish my choices and get to 'Secure Checkout' and oh osddti! They
> > want me to receive a text and confirm I' mantling the transaction - no
> > boodly mobile signal, can't hfr my phobile, and I'm not mobile, so can't
> > walk/hobble the 100 yards down the road where there *is* a signal.
>
> One thing that surprises me is that nobody has organised a way to get
> texts to a landline.

you can, but they convert it to inintelligiburble speech.

--
Braind

Tease'n'Seize

May 22, 2022, 3:15:26 AM5/22/22
RustyHinge wrote:

> Out comes the debit crad. Molish my choices and get to 'Secure Checkout' and oh
> osddti! They want me to receive a text and confirm I' mantling the transaction -
> no boodly mobile signal

It is possumable to get an 07 number wot forwards text messages to emu

Tease'n'Seize

May 22, 2022, 3:20:13 AM5/22/22
Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:

> One thing that surprises me is that nobody has organised a way to
> get texts to a landline.

BT can do that two ways, one is that DigiDot calls you at an inconvenient time
and speaks the text message to you, the other is POTS phones that repurpose the
CLID functionality to add SMS capability.

Either way, the promble can be that swervices assume ghat SMS can only be sent
to phobiles, so only accept 07mumble numbers not 01mumble numbers.

Richard Robinson

May 22, 2022, 7:23:26 AM5/22/22
Round here, the bits I get are comprehensible But, what I don't think
they have is a way of detecting answerphones. The robot starts speaking
when the line picks up, the message only starts getting recorded after
the beep. So $whoever thinks they've delivered the message, I've only
got "press 1 to repeat this message"; after the line's been dropped, of
course. Worst of all possible worlds.

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Sam Plusnet

May 22, 2022, 4:11:40 PM5/22/22
Since:

"Everyone has a mobile & it's always on, and good coverage is universal"

molishes their lives easier - and cheaper - this is what they choose to
believe.

--
Sam Plusnet

Sam Plusnet

May 22, 2022, 4:14:57 PM5/22/22
On 21-May-22 22:26, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Sat, 21 May 2022 19:20:35 +0100
> RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Trublis now, HM Gummermint has moved the goalposts. Out comes the debit
>> crad. Molish my choices and get to 'Secure Checkout' and oh osddti! They
>> want me to receive a text and confirm I' mantling the transaction - no
>> boodly mobile signal, can't hfr my phobile, and I'm not mobile, so can't
>> walk/hobble the 100 yards down the road where there *is* a signal.
>
> One thing that surprises me is that nobody has organised a way to
> get texts to a landline.

Good heavens!
You cannot imagine that a land line - which is physically tied to your
house - is in any way as trustworthy proof that you are you - as the
mobile which might have slipped out of your pocket down at the pub?

--
Sam Plusnet

nev young

May 22, 2022, 4:24:35 PM5/22/22
I has land line phones that receive and send txt.
it's a
Premiun Phone
item code 090631

https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-premium-phone---two-handsets-090631-D93T.html

Crikey! It's gorn up in price since I bought mine!

--
Nev
It causes me a great deal of regret and remorse

maus

May 22, 2022, 4:51:01 PM5/22/22
Some guy in Wales, of Italian descent, wrote a program that would allow
one to send faxes through a modem. I tried it a couple of times, it
worked, but the font delivered the other end was tine. I lack the tackle
now.

--
grey...@mail.com
Human Life will not end with a `Bang', but with a `D'oh'

Richard Robinson

May 23, 2022, 7:36:20 AM5/23/22
It makes everyone else's lives more expensive, of course. Makes the GDP
look good ?

Brian G

Jun 4, 2022, 6:09:33 AM6/4/22
So I'm fed up with two factor authentication. Virgin, I want to report my
main email is not working. Oh sir you need to answer some security
questions, OK, what is the 1st 5th and 9th character in you password. Which
password. the one we sent you in the letter when you updated your contract.
I have no idea I'm blind. Oh sorry sir, what was your last bill and what
date did it come out of your bank? I can give you Aprils, but not Mays as
I've not got access to the email account you sent that email to, and my bank
statement for all of may is not here yet.
Sorry sir I cannot talk to you until you get one or the other. Well I gave
you my Mobile number at the time we updated the services specifically to get
around the blindness issue. Sorry sir we do not work that way, only the
password and bill date are allowed. Call again when you have one or the
other.
So much for equality act then. So now I have to get a person in to look
through my personal files to find their dammed letter to find the password.
Then there is giff-gaff who we had a reoccurring bundle with on a charity
debit card. Since the last time we had to update it they have put in two
factor authentication. However they do it by the mobile number code method
when you need to change details. However, the charity no longer has the same
mobile number having traded it in for a more memorable one some time ago.
Dutifully the web site sends its code to the now non existing mobile. Having
problems simply chat to our rep online. So you state the issue and the
answer is that you have to have the mobile. Obviously not a real person but
a bot, and of course they have no phone number. Their new page offers to
take an email address instead of a mobile now, but guess what? You cannot
get to alter it without the original mobile number.
Are we living in some kind of alternate reality here, where everyone is
assumed to be of criminal intent unless they can prove otherwise? Equality
act? Equality to what exactly. Its data protection gone mad, like the
proposal to want your photo id to vote in future, not everyone will have a
driving licence or a passport after all.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Brian D" <brian...@lycos.co.uk> wrote in message

Brian G

Jun 4, 2022, 6:10:37 AM6/4/22
Sometimes but not sure about the numbers sort.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Tease'n'Seize" <tease-and-seize@invalid> wrote in message

Brian G

Jun 4, 2022, 6:17:22 AM6/4/22
Yes indeed, and another issue if you forward texts to a land line the code
has expired before you actually get it of course, some only last five mins.

Its also annoying if you are a new online customer some stites let you put
all your data in then ask you to solve a picture cap char with no audio or
plain English alternative at all, you cannot even save your input and call
them, if they have a number either.
The world is run by folk under 40 years old who live in good coverage
mobile areas quite obviously. Its like those key in the security number bots
on the phone that time out before you have read the code then hit the keys.
All must be speed typists, and its also got to be typed in while inside an
anechoic chamber as the slightest noise on the line makes it get the wrong
number. Then there are the point of sale terminals that have no tactile
template over them so you cannot use them even if you have a bit of site as
you are not allowed to touch them while you find the virtual button.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Sam Plusnet" <n...@home.com> wrote in message

RustyHinge

Jun 5, 2022, 2:42:27 PM6/5/22
On 04/06/2022 11:09, Brian G wrote:

> not everyone will have a
> driving licence or a passport after all.

I gave up my driving licence when my heart began playing silly-uggbres
and I've never had a passport.

RustyHinge

Jun 5, 2022, 2:46:37 PM6/5/22
On 04/06/2022 11:17, Brian G wrote:

> Its also annoying if you are a new online customer some stites let you put
> all your data in then ask you to solve a picture cap char with no audio or
> plain English alternative at all, you cannot even save your input and call
> them, if they have a number either.

And the pics are of USAnian scenes - how the Hell do I know what some of
these transpodian amenities look like?

Tease'n'Seize

Jun 5, 2022, 5:11:14 PM6/5/22

Brian G wrote:

> I want to report my main email is not working. Oh sir you need to answer some
> security questions, OK, what is the 1st 5th and 9th character in you
> password. Which password.
I've had that problem with vogon, them asking for x and y characters from my
password, me giving them those characters from a password which I knew, but they
were referring to a different password.

Julian Macassey

Jun 10, 2022, 1:52:23 PM6/10/22
On Sun, 5 Jun 2022 19:46:35 +0100, RustyHinge
<rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:

> On 04/06/2022 11:17, Brian G wrote:
>
>> Its also annoying if you are a new online customer some stites let you put
>> all your data in then ask you to solve a picture cap char with no audio or
>> plain English alternative at all, you cannot even save your input and call
>> them, if they have a number either.
>
> And the pics are of USAnian scenes - how the Hell do I know what some of
> these transpodian amenities look like?

I have pointed out to Murricans that if they don't know what
a fire hydrant looks like in Germany why do they expect a German to
know what a fire hydrant looks like in Murrica?

--
"Their (Microsoft's) products have no spirit to them, sort of no
spirit of enlightenment to them. They are very pedestrian." -

Nicholas D. Richards

Jun 10, 2022, 3:17:14 PM6/10/22
In article <slrnta716n....@n6are.com>, Julian Macassey
<jul...@n6are.com> on Fri, 10 Jun 2022 at 17:52:23 awoke Nicholas from
his slumbers and wrote
>On Sun, 5 Jun 2022 19:46:35 +0100, RustyHinge
><rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 04/06/2022 11:17, Brian G wrote:
>>
>>> Its also annoying if you are a new online customer some stites let you put
>>> all your data in then ask you to solve a picture cap char with no audio or
>>> plain English alternative at all, you cannot even save your input and call
>>> them, if they have a number either.
>>
>> And the pics are of USAnian scenes - how the Hell do I know what some of
>> these transpodian amenities look like?
>
> I have pointed out to Murricans that if they don't know what
>a fire hydrant looks like in Germany why do they expect a German to
>know what a fire hydrant looks like in Murrica?

What is it? Ah yes, Americans have a sense of exceptional destiny.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Oů sont les neiges d'antan?"

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Jun 10, 2022, 4:00:02 PM6/10/22
On Fri, 10 Jun 2022 17:52:23 -0000 (UTC)
Julian Macassey <jul...@n6are.com> wrote:

> I have pointed out to Murricans that if they don't know what
> a fire hydrant looks like in Germany why do they expect a German to
> know what a fire hydrant looks like in Murrica?

Those lights on cables across the street - Halloween decorations
right ?

Richard Robinson

Jun 10, 2022, 6:59:45 PM6/10/22
Julian Macassey said:
> On Sun, 5 Jun 2022 19:46:35 +0100, RustyHinge
><rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 04/06/2022 11:17, Brian G wrote:
>>
>>> Its also annoying if you are a new online customer some stites let you put
>>> all your data in then ask you to solve a picture cap char with no audio or
>>> plain English alternative at all, you cannot even save your input and call
>>> them, if they have a number either.
>>
>> And the pics are of USAnian scenes - how the Hell do I know what some of
>> these transpodian amenities look like?
>
> I have pointed out to Murricans that if they don't know what
> a fire hydrant looks like in Germany why do they expect a German to
> know what a fire hydrant looks like in Murrica?

They don't have to expect anything of the sort, they just have to make
the rule that if you don't guess right you don't get into sites that use
their software.

It annoys me, too. And as for trying to centre things with colours, in
code ...

Richard Robinson

Jun 10, 2022, 7:02:02 PM6/10/22
Ahem A Rivet's Shot said:
> On Fri, 10 Jun 2022 17:52:23 -0000 (UTC)
> Julian Macassey <jul...@n6are.com> wrote:
>
>> I have pointed out to Murricans that if they don't know what
>> a fire hydrant looks like in Germany why do they expect a German to
>> know what a fire hydrant looks like in Murrica?
>
> Those lights on cables across the street - Halloween decorations
> right ?

You wanna get into the website or not ?

Julian Macassey

Jun 11, 2022, 2:02:49 PM6/11/22
On Fri, 10 Jun 2022 18:01:56 -0500, Richard Robinson <rich...@privacy.net> wrote:
> Ahem A Rivet's Shot said:
>> On Fri, 10 Jun 2022 17:52:23 -0000 (UTC)
>> Julian Macassey <jul...@n6are.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I have pointed out to Murricans that if they don't know what
>>> a fire hydrant looks like in Germany why do they expect a German to
>>> know what a fire hydrant looks like in Murrica?
>>
>> Those lights on cables across the street - Halloween decorations
>> right ?
>
> You wanna get into the website or not ?

If you make it hard, I may not bother.

--
“It used to be you couldn’t be gay. Now you can be gay but you
can’t smoke. There’s always something.” - David Hockney,

Mike Fleming

Jun 12, 2022, 9:52:06 AM6/12/22
On 10/06/2022 18:52, Julian Macassey wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Jun 2022 19:46:35 +0100, RustyHinge
> <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 04/06/2022 11:17, Brian G wrote:
>>
>>> Its also annoying if you are a new online customer some stites let you put
>>> all your data in then ask you to solve a picture cap char with no audio or
>>> plain English alternative at all, you cannot even save your input and call
>>> them, if they have a number either.
>>
>> And the pics are of USAnian scenes - how the Hell do I know what some of
>> these transpodian amenities look like?
>
> I have pointed out to Murricans that if they don't know what
> a fire hydrant looks like in Germany why do they expect a German to
> know what a fire hydrant looks like in Murrica?

And the pictures are so blurry that being sighted confers only a minor
advantage in identifying the content.

Mike Fleming

Jun 12, 2022, 9:52:40 AM6/12/22
On 10/06/2022 20:39, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Jun 2022 17:52:23 -0000 (UTC)
> Julian Macassey <jul...@n6are.com> wrote:
>
>> I have pointed out to Murricans that if they don't know what
>> a fire hydrant looks like in Germany why do they expect a German to
>> know what a fire hydrant looks like in Murrica?
>
> Those lights on cables across the street - Halloween decorations
> right ?

That's where Americans hang their fire hydrants.

Mike Fleming

Jun 12, 2022, 9:53:50 AM6/12/22
On 10/06/2022 23:59, Richard Robinson wrote:

> It annoys me, too. And as for trying to centre things with colours, in
> code ...

At least coding for IE6 is no longer necessary.

Sam Plusnet

Jun 12, 2022, 4:21:11 PM6/12/22
After a fair trial I hope?

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Jun 12, 2022, 5:30:02 PM6/12/22
Lynch's Fire Hydrant Storage
we hang 'em high

Richard Robinson

Jun 14, 2022, 8:02:42 AM6/14/22
I always had my doubts ...

Richard Robinson

Aug 7, 2022, 12:24:56 PM8/7/22
nev young said:
> On 22/05/2022 01:00, Brian D wrote:
>> Ahem A Rivet's Shot <ste...@eircom.net> wrote:

>>> One thing that surprises me is that nobody has organised a way to get
>>> texts to a landline.
>>
>> you can, but they convert it to inintelligiburble speech.
>>
> I has land line phones that receive and send txt.
> it's a
> Premiun Phone
> item code 090631
>
> https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-premium-phone---two-handsets-090631-D93T.html
>
> Crikey! It's gorn up in price since I bought mine!

I'm catching up with things that I've been meaning to catch up with for
a while ...

The price is certainly a bit "up". My question is, what happens if an
incoming text hits the answerphone ? in hopes that you've encountered
such an event.

Because at the moment what happens here is that when someone sends my
landline a text, it gets translated into voice somewhere inbetween, and
the result is that I get a voice call from an idiot robot that lacks
Clue about the 'after the beep' thing. It starts talking as soon as the
line picks up, the recording kicks in several seconds later, and when I
catch it later, all I get is the bit about 'press whatnot to repeat this
message', which isn't too impressive once the line's been dropped.

And it'd be a good idea to replace it with something that can get the
job done properly.

Do I gather that "BT Text" is the magic word ?

nev young

Aug 7, 2022, 12:42:32 PM8/7/22
On 07/08/2022 17:24, Richard Robinson wrote:
> nev young said:
>> I has land line phones that receive and send txt.
>> it's a
>> Premiun Phone
>> item code 090631
>>
>> https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-premium-phone---two-handsets-090631-D93T.html
>>
>> Crikey! It's gorn up in price since I bought mine!
>
> I'm catching up with things that I've been meaning to catch up with for
> a while ...
>
> The price is certainly a bit "up". My question is, what happens if an
> incoming text hits the answerphone ? in hopes that you've encountered
> such an event.

Incoming texts don't trigger the answerphone.

The phone goes beep and an icon displays the number of unread txt messages.

I vaguely unforget having to press buttons from a menu to enable txts
but it was a long time ago.

In my case the txts usually read "Your food is on its way".

This may be dependant on your telecom co. I'm with Zen.

Richard Robinson

Aug 7, 2022, 1:08:25 PM8/7/22
nev young said:
> On 07/08/2022 17:24, Richard Robinson wrote:
>> nev young said:
>>> I has land line phones that receive and send txt.
>>> it's a
>>> Premiun Phone
>>> item code 090631
>>>
>>> https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-premium-phone---two-handsets-090631-D93T.html
>>>
>>> Crikey! It's gorn up in price since I bought mine!
>>
>> I'm catching up with things that I've been meaning to catch up with for
>> a while ...
>>
>> The price is certainly a bit "up". My question is, what happens if an
>> incoming text hits the answerphone ? in hopes that you've encountered
>> such an event.
>>
> Incoming texts don't trigger the answerphone.
>
> The phone goes beep and an icon displays the number of unread txt messages.
>
> I vaguely unforget having to press buttons from a menu to enable txts
> but it was a long time ago.
>
> In my case the txts usually read "Your food is on its way".

Thanks, that seems like it should be ok, I can usually cope with
buttonpushing.

> This may be dependant on your telecom co. I'm with Zen.

Ah. I hadn't thought of that, I'll have to check. Plusnet. I'm beginning
to wonder if it might be time for a fit of shopping-around anyway.

Cheers