Olivia Newton John

Brian Gaff

Aug 9, 2022, 4:54:04 AM8/9/22
Sad to hear that Livvy died she was only a year older than myself. Born in
Cambridge and emigrated with her Parents to Australia when her father, a
scientist got a job over there.
I met her once before she was famous at the old Marlybone High Street Radio
London shop, plugging her first record for Festival. Very pretty very easy
to talk to and very homely, was my impression. Very connected, even then
with The Shadows.
I remember Cliff famously saying that there was more sex appeal in her
finger than the whole of Madonna's body.(this was a lot later of course)
Her father died of Cancer as well, of course and there was known to be a
familial link.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

hub...@ccanoemail.com

Aug 9, 2022, 7:49:12 AM8/9/22
On Tue, 9 Aug 2022 09:54:02 +0100, "Brian Gaff" <brian...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Sad to hear that Livvy died she was only a year older than myself. Born in
>Cambridge and emigrated with her Parents to Australia when her father, a
>scientist got a job over there.
> I met her once before she was famous at the old Marlybone High Street Radio
>London shop, plugging her first record for Festival. Very pretty very easy
>to talk to and very homely, was my impression. Very connected, even then
>with The Shadows.
> I remember Cliff famously saying that there was more sex appeal in her
>finger than the whole of Madonna's body.(this was a lot later of course)
> Her father died of Cancer as well, of course and there was known to be a
>familial link.
> Brian

"very pretty" and "very homely" .. huh ?
I had to look it up :

homely

adjective -lier or -liest
characteristic of or suited to the ordinary home;
unpretentious (of a person)
1. British warm and domesticated in manner or appearance
2. mainly US and Canadian plain or ugly

Rest in peace lovely lady.

After hearing Let Me Be There on the radio just now,
I needed to find out who sings the bass part - just because ..
1. google the song
2. wiki the bass singer < Mike Sammes >
3. youtube this little gem < Mike Sammes centre rear ? >

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D19IO4oZ094

John T.

Richard Robinson

Aug 9, 2022, 8:00:56 AM8/9/22
hub...@ccanoemail.com said:
> On Tue, 9 Aug 2022 09:54:02 +0100, "Brian Gaff" <brian...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Sad to hear that Livvy died she was only a year older than myself. Born in
>>Cambridge and emigrated with her Parents to Australia when her father, a
>>scientist got a job over there.
>> I met her once before she was famous at the old Marlybone High Street Radio
>>London shop, plugging her first record for Festival. Very pretty very easy
>>to talk to and very homely, was my impression. Very connected, even then
>>with The Shadows.
>> I remember Cliff famously saying that there was more sex appeal in her
>>finger than the whole of Madonna's body.(this was a lot later of course)
>> Her father died of Cancer as well, of course and there was known to be a
>>familial link.
>> Brian
>

> "very pretty" and "very homely" .. huh ?
> I had to look it up :
>
> homely
>
> adjective -lier or -liest
> characteristic of or suited to the ordinary home;
> unpretentious (of a person)
> 1. British warm and domesticated in manner or appearance
> 2. mainly US and Canadian plain or ugly

Every home should have one ?

> Rest in peace lovely lady.

I wasn't paying attention at the time, but every human's death
diminisheth mee anyway sortathing.

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Brian Gaff

Aug 9, 2022, 11:49:56 AM8/9/22
Homely here is a good thing. Somebody who is easy to talk to; no airs and
graces and all that stuff; its another word like bomb. Here if somebody goes
like a bomb its a good thing; in the US if you bomb; its a failure.; Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Richard Robinson" <rich...@privacy.net> wrote in message

Julian Macassey

Aug 9, 2022, 12:13:27 PM8/9/22
On Tue, 9 Aug 2022 16:49:54 +0100, Brian Gaff <brian...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Homely here is a good thing. Somebody who is easy to talk to; no airs and
> graces and all that stuff; its another word like bomb. Here if somebody goes
> like a bomb its a good thing; in the US if you bomb; its a failure.; Brian

In the seventies, she was known as Olivia Neutron Bomb.

--
"I'm more interested in a world that works than what sells" —
Paul MacCready, Founder AeroVironment

John Williamson

Aug 9, 2022, 12:30:54 PM8/9/22
On 09/08/2022 17:13, Julian Macassey wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Aug 2022 16:49:54 +0100, Brian Gaff <brian...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Homely here is a good thing. Somebody who is easy to talk to; no airs and
>> graces and all that stuff; its another word like bomb. Here if somebody goes
>> like a bomb its a good thing; in the US if you bomb; its a failure.; Brian
>
> In the seventies, she was known as Olivia Neutron Bomb.

Paired in one popular movie with John Revolting...

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Nicholas D. Richards

Aug 9, 2022, 1:13:44 PM8/9/22
In article <jlfgdr...@mid.individual.net>, John Williamson
<johnwil...@btinternet.com> on Tue, 9 Aug 2022 at 17:30:51 awoke
Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
My memory says coined by the late and much missed Clive James.
Incidentally Revolting had previously filled the role in the theatrical
production.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Oů sont les neiges d'antan?"

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Aug 9, 2022, 1:30:14 PM8/9/22
In the worst (but ridiculously popular) thing either of them ever did.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Tone

Aug 9, 2022, 1:31:57 PM8/9/22
You're the one that I want

Ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh

I thought at the time, "But you haven't met me!"

I seem to unforget that she survived breast cancer earlier on too.

Her younger sister died of brain cancer.

English family from Cambs who moved to Oz.

Tone

John Williamson

Aug 9, 2022, 1:46:50 PM8/9/22
Yup!

Kerr-Mudd, John

Aug 10, 2022, 11:45:18 AM8/10/22
xpost to US/UK language discussion group AUE

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

hub...@ccanoemail.com

Aug 10, 2022, 12:51:55 PM8/10/22

>xpost to US/UK language discussion group AUE

Here in Canada, I've never heard the word used as in
the British definition - not in my 65 trips around the sun.
John T.

Nicholas D. Richards

Aug 10, 2022, 1:37:46 PM8/10/22
In article <69o7fh1f5t6sgc8em...@4ax.com>,
hub...@ccanoemail.com on Wed, 10 Aug 2022 at 12:52:21 awoke Nicholas
from his slumbers and wrote

Weeeellll I have never heard it used in US and Canadian meaning.

It would be used to describe an idealised Mum or even a Dad. Someone you
would run to after falling over and can cook you a nice pork pie,
without making a fuss about it.

Richard Robinson

Aug 10, 2022, 2:20:17 PM8/10/22
Nicholas D. Richards said:
> In article <69o7fh1f5t6sgc8em...@4ax.com>,
> hub...@ccanoemail.com on Wed, 10 Aug 2022 at 12:52:21 awoke Nicholas
> from his slumbers and wrote

>>>xpost to US/UK language discussion group AUE
>>
>> Here in Canada, I've never heard the word used as in
>>the British definition - not in my 65 trips around the sun.
>> John T.
> Weeeellll I have never heard it used in US and Canadian meaning.
>
> It would be used to describe an idealised Mum or even a Dad. Someone you
> would run to after falling over and can cook you a nice pork pie,
> without making a fuss about it.

s/pork/apple/ might help ?

RustyHinge

Aug 10, 2022, 2:53:57 PM8/10/22
Definitely +1

--
Rusty Hinge

Mike Fleming

Aug 10, 2022, 7:28:12 PM8/10/22
On 10/08/2022 18:37, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:

> Weeeellll I have never heard it used in US and Canadian meaning.

Here in the UK, I've never heard it used in what is given as the UK
meaning either. Possibly because the only times I've ever encountered it
has been in USAnian contexts (MAD magazine and the song "Homely Girl").