Get your kicks on Route 666

Sn!pe

Jan 29, 2024, 9:54:10 AMJan 29
Get your kicks on Route 666 (to Edgeware) :-

<https://youtu.be/Vg5Tzh8nppw>

- one of my favourite routes as a short-trousered bus spotter.

I visited the breaker's yard and "cabbed" an abandoned trolley before
it was desecrated. Shamefully, I even half-inched a "Pyrene" fire
extinguisher as a souvenir. <http://tinyurl.com/556avz6a>

See also: <https://youtu.be/cagfJXTnvZ4>

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator

My pet rock Gordon just is.

Adrian

Jan 29, 2024, 10:04:17 AMJan 29
In message <1qo3mk3.1wh12mb16ggdvdN%snip...@gmail.com>, Sn!pe
<snip...@gmail.com> writes
>Get your kicks on Route 666 (to Edgeware) :-

Do you have a devil of a time ?

Adrian
--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops

nev young

Jan 30, 2024, 10:50:21 AMJan 30
On 29/01/2024 14:54, Sn!pe wrote:
> Get your kicks on Route 666 (to Edgeware) :-
>
> <https://youtu.be/Vg5Tzh8nppw>

I unforget the trolley buses running along the A666* from
the Black Horse at Farnworth to Irlams o' th' Height and beyond.

* Now partly renumbered as A6053
--
Nev
It causes me a great deal of regret and remorse

Nicholas D. Richards

Jan 30, 2024, 7:24:07 PMJan 30
In article <upb5rr$11qjf$1...@dont-email.me>, nev young <newsforpasiphae195
3...@yahoo.co.uk> on Tue, 30 Jan 2024 at 15:50:19 awoke Nicholas from his
slumbers and wrote
>On 29/01/2024 14:54, Sn!pe wrote:
>> Get your kicks on Route 666 (to Edgeware) :-
>>
>> <https://youtu.be/Vg5Tzh8nppw>
>>
>I unforget the trolley buses running along the A666* from
>the Black Horse at Farnworth to Irlams o' th' Height and beyond.
>
>* Now partly renumbered as A6053
I lived just off the A666 near Irlams o' th' Heights by the Agecroft
Road, but t'trolley buses were long gone.

However I used to take t'trolley to school on the A572 in Worsley when I
lived off that road.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Oů sont les neiges d'antan?"

Peter

Jan 31, 2024, 4:27:30 AMJan 31
"Nicholas D. Richards" <nich...@salmiron.com> wrote in
I remember trams being replaced by trolleys in central M/c. The tracks
weren't taken up but just covered by Tarmac.

--
Peter
-----

Kerr-Mudd, John

Jan 31, 2024, 4:52:37 AMJan 31
In a town far away (well in time anyhow) 'they' would dig up the street
for something or other and the rails were (briefly) seen to still be there.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

nev young

Jan 31, 2024, 5:29:51 AMJan 31
On 31/01/2024 00:19, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
> In article <upb5rr$11qjf$1...@dont-email.me>, nev young <newsforpasiphae195
> 3...@yahoo.co.uk> on Tue, 30 Jan 2024 at 15:50:19 awoke Nicholas from his
> slumbers and wrote

>> I unforget the trolley buses running along the A666* from
>> the Black Horse at Farnworth to Irlams o' th' Height and beyond.
>>
>> * Now partly renumbered as A6053
> I lived just off the A666 near Irlams o' th' Heights by the Agecroft
> Road, but t'trolley buses were long gone.

Eee by eck Nick. We was almust neighbours. I were brung up in Kearsley,
next t' town 'all. Used to bike to a friend house at IotH. He were on
Hillside Dr. I long fer the days I could bike up that steep 1 in 5 road
(Now signed as 11%) an' as fer biking up and down Agecroft Rd. ...!
Stoneclough, back in Kearsley, were bad enough. Did that twice (two
times) a day to 'n from Skool, in Whitefield.

Oh bugger I'm gerrin all nostalgic fer mi younger days.

chr...@privacy.net

Jan 31, 2024, 10:04:56 AMJan 31
The tramlines into the old Nottingham corporation bus depot (previously
tram) were still in situ until recent years. Currently closed I believe
- awaiting something or other...

Chris

Nicholas D. Richards

Jan 31, 2024, 10:18:29 AMJan 31
In article <upd7es$1fkj0$1...@dont-email.me>, nev young <newsforpasiphae195
3...@yahoo.co.uk> on Wed, 31 Jan 2024 at 10:29:48 awoke Nicholas from his
slumbers and wrote
>On 31/01/2024 00:19, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
>> In article <upb5rr$11qjf$1...@dont-email.me>, nev young <newsforpasiphae195
>> 3...@yahoo.co.uk> on Tue, 30 Jan 2024 at 15:50:19 awoke Nicholas from his
>> slumbers and wrote
>
>>> I unforget the trolley buses running along the A666* from
>>> the Black Horse at Farnworth to Irlams o' th' Height and beyond.
>>>
>>> * Now partly renumbered as A6053
>> I lived just off the A666 near Irlams o' th' Heights by the Agecroft
>> Road, but t'trolley buses were long gone.
>>
>Eee by eck Nick. We was almust neighbours. I were brung up in Kearsley,
>next t' town 'all. Used to bike to a friend house at IotH. He were on
>Hillside Dr. I long fer the days I could bike up that steep 1 in 5 road
>(Now signed as 11%) an' as fer biking up and down Agecroft Rd. ...!
>Stoneclough, back in Kearsley, were bad enough. Did that twice (two
>times) a day to 'n from Skool, in Whitefield.
>
>Oh bugger I'm gerrin all nostalgic fer mi younger days.

Not far apart.

I was at primary just up Mill Brow, Worsley. After my time they knocked
it down and built a dirt big cutting for what was called the M62 (since
renumbered). I thunk t'trolley bus was replaced by a smoking diesel
about the time I left.

My secondary was at Wardley, now knocked down; is there a pattern there?

I used to peddle up the hill to secondary. Coming home was great because
it was all downhill until the last 100 yards. In those days you could
cross the New Road (East Lancs Road) without stopping, if you timed it
right.

There were pea soupers when I did get lost and did not know where I was
and whether I was going up or down hill.

Apart from that the sun was always shining; I lie, it was mostly like a
wet Sunday in Manchester.

We moved to Irlams/Agecroft after the old man died. Not long
afterwards, I moved south after Uni and have not lived back north of
London since then. Even my Uni was in the Potteries.

Do I miss it, do I get nostalgic? Too right I do, but as Hartley said
"The Past is a Foreign Country, they did things differently then'. One
of the advantages of the 2020's is that I do not have to go there to see
how different it is now (a Foreign Country).

I have seen the inside of two of what were our homes, when they were
sold, one has been wrecked, I do mean wrecked, and the other looks like
a gin palace.

maus

Jan 31, 2024, 10:40:33 AMJan 31
On 2024-01-31, Nicholas D. Richards <nich...@salmiron.com> wrote:
> In article <upd7es$1fkj0$1...@dont-email.me>, nev young <newsforpasiphae195
> 3...@yahoo.co.uk> on Wed, 31 Jan 2024 at 10:29:48 awoke Nicholas from his
> slumbers and wrote
>>On 31/01/2024 00:19, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
>>> In article <upb5rr$11qjf$1...@dont-email.me>, nev young <newsforpasiphae195
>>> 3...@yahoo.co.uk> on Tue, 30 Jan 2024 at 15:50:19 awoke Nicholas from his
>>> slumbers and wrote

> I have seen the inside of two of what were our homes, when they were
> sold, one has been wrecked, I do mean wrecked, and the other looks like
> a gin palace.

I remember trams in Dublin. If a cyclist's wheel got trapped in the
lines, it was a panic to get them out before a tram came.
InMyHumbleOpinion, the trams were a good idea, and the idea of keeping
private card in city centres a very bad on.

One branch line went to Poolaphuca, way out in the Wicklow mountains.
there is a garage/caff there now, with the old sign at the door, central
city folk could travel out and walk in the mountains, cheaply.

--
grey...@mail.com
Is There not even one Influencer here to torment?

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Jan 31, 2024, 11:30:03 AMJan 31
On 31 Jan 2024 15:40:31 GMT
maus <ma...@deb2.org> wrote:

> I remember trams in Dublin. If a cyclist's wheel got trapped in the
> lines, it was a panic to get them out before a tram came.
> InMyHumbleOpinion, the trams were a good idea

Agreed, and ripping up the lines was an impressively bad one.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Sn!pe

Jan 31, 2024, 12:34:38 PMJan 31
Nicholas D. Richards <nich...@salmiron.com> wrote:

[...]

> Do I miss it, do I get nostalgic? Too right I do, but as Hartley said
> "The Past is a Foreign Country, they did things differently then'. One
> of the advantages of the 2020's is that I do not have to go there to see
> how different it is now (a Foreign Country). [...]

J. R. Hartley (no relation) wrote a distinctly nostalgic book, namely:

Fly Fishing: Memories of Angling Days

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fly_Fishing:_Memories_of_Angling_Days>

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator

My pet rock Gordon says:
The first duty of government is defence of the realm.

Sn!pe

Jan 31, 2024, 12:43:15 PMJan 31
maus <ma...@deb2.org> wrote:

[...]

> I remember trams in Dublin. If a cyclist's wheel got trapped in the
> lines, it was a panic to get them out before a tram came. [...]

That happened to my mum on her bike, age 16. Cut up by a London taxi,
she caught a wheel in the track and fell off into the path of a double
decker bus which ran over her leg. She was lucky enough to keep her leg
but it was horribly disfigured and not much use any more. IIRC Tone
knows what that's like.

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator

Hymermut

Jan 31, 2024, 1:03:41 PMJan 31
On 31/01/2024 17:43, Sn!pe wrote:
> maus <ma...@deb2.org> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> I remember trams in Dublin. If a cyclist's wheel got trapped in the
>> lines, it was a panic to get them out before a tram came. [...]
>>

> That happened to my mum on her bike, age 16. Cut up by a London taxi,
> she caught a wheel in the track and fell off into the path of a double
> decker bus which ran over her leg. She was lucky enough to keep her leg
> but it was horribly disfigured and not much use any more. IIRC Tone
> knows what that's like.

My leg damage was due to DVTs though. Never got run over by a bus.

Tone

Hymermut

Jan 31, 2024, 1:16:27 PMJan 31
But then thinking on, I did get sorta run over by a Sea Vixen when I was
in the FAA at Yeovilton.

We were changing a nose wheel assembly. It was attached to the jacked up
hairy plane by a big nut at the top. The procedure was you undid the nut
to the last thread, then three burly blokes took the weight and a fourth
weedy bloke undid the last thread.

In our case 'Stand Easy' was piped while we were undoing threads, and my
team of burly blokes buggered off for their scran. I thought, well, I'll
just undo it to the last thread, then we can take it down after stand easy.

What I didn't know was, they had already taken it to the last thread.

The whole wheel assembly, oleo, jack struts and all fell across me leg.
I had a very deep crush cut from the edge of the nose wheel panel, in my
right thigh. The thigh bone stopped it, fortunately.

It got me off duties for a week or so, but I still have the scar to this
day.

Tone

John Williamson

Jan 31, 2024, 3:19:23 PMJan 31
On 31/01/2024 15:40, maus wrote:
> I remember trams in Dublin. If a cyclist's wheel got trapped in the
> lines, it was a panic to get them out before a tram came.
> InMyHumbleOpinion, the trams were a good idea, and the idea of keeping
> private card in city centres a very bad on.

In their early days, given the state of city roads and the pathetic
capabilities of road vehicles of the time, trams were a great idea to
shift lots of people along a fixed route. Even a one horse tram could
carry more people faster than a two horse bus.

Now, trolley buses can do the same job as a tram or light railway, the
installation is a *lot* cheaper, and they can divert off route using
batteries for a mile or two if there is a problem. I never could work
out why they got rid of them and replaced them with diseasels. Guided
busways for the off road bits are cheaper to build and maintain than
rail tracks, and can often be fitted in the central reservation on a
dual carriageway as has been done in Leeds.

The main problem I see is that polly tishans can boast about a NEW!
SHINY! tram or light rail system, but buses are boring.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

nev young

Feb 1, 2024, 8:32:15 AMFeb 1
On 31/01/2024 15:15, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:

> Not far apart.
>
> I was at primary just up Mill Brow, Worsley. After my time they knocked
> it down and built a dirt big cutting for what was called the M62 (since
> renumbered).

<an nick dote>
The day (maybe two) before the M62 (as was) were opened to traffic
me and a mate (I forget which one!) bicycled the entire length of the
motorway starting and ending at the Robin Hood junction. I forget how
far it went. Possibly to where the M606 is (used) to be. I unforget it
were a blurry long way - but what a trip :-)

Of course we got into bother and were escorted off the motorway but
sneaked back on when plod and / or construction jbexers had moved on.

Ah them were the days! I'm still a rebel!
</an>

nev young

Feb 1, 2024, 8:33:34 AMFeb 1
On 31/01/2024 16:14, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On 31 Jan 2024 15:40:31 GMT
> maus <ma...@deb2.org> wrote:
>
>> I remember trams in Dublin. If a cyclist's wheel got trapped in the
>> lines, it was a panic to get them out before a tram came.
>> InMyHumbleOpinion, the trams were a good idea
>
> Agreed, and ripping up the lines was an impressively bad one.

Ah but would the Luas have gone the same route?

Chris Elvidge

Feb 1, 2024, 8:37:24 AMFeb 1
On 01/02/2024 13:32, nev young wrote:
> On 31/01/2024 15:15, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
>>>
>> Not far apart.
>>
>> I was at primary just up Mill Brow, Worsley. After my time they knocked
>> it down and built a dirt big cutting for what was called the M62 (since
>> renumbered).
>
> <an nick dote>
> The day (maybe two) before the M62 (as was) were opened to traffic
> me and a mate (I forget which one!) bicycled the entire length of the
> motorway starting and ending at the Robin Hood junction. I forget how

Is that where the Robin Hood pub used to be on Manchester Road, Clifton?

--
Chris Elvidge, England
I WILL NEVER WIN AN EMMY

nev young

Feb 1, 2024, 8:43:50 AMFeb 1
On 01/02/2024 13:37, Chris Elvidge wrote:

> Is that where the Robin Hood pub used to be on Manchester Road, Clifton?

Yup. I think so.

http://tinyurl.com/2p8n7smm

Jeff Gaines

Feb 1, 2024, 9:25:00 AMFeb 1
On 01/02/2024 in message <upg6gs$234a1$1...@dont-email.me> nev young wrote:

>On 31/01/2024 15:15, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
>>>
>>Not far apart.
>>
>>I was at primary just up Mill Brow, Worsley. After my time they knocked
>>it down and built a dirt big cutting for what was called the M62 (since
>>renumbered).
>
><an nick dote>
>The day (maybe two) before the M62 (as was) were opened to traffic
>me and a mate (I forget which one!) bicycled the entire length of the
>motorway starting and ending at the Robin Hood junction. I forget how far
>it went. Possibly to where the M606 is (used) to be. I unforget it were a
>blurry long way - but what a trip :-)
>
>Of course we got into bother and were escorted off the motorway but
>sneaked back on when plod and / or construction jbexers had moved on.
>
>Ah them were the days! I'm still a rebel!
></an>

Now that is an achievement for your history book, can't be many who have
done that.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
By the time you can make ends meet they move the ends

chr...@privacy.net

Feb 1, 2024, 9:25:37 AMFeb 1
I hate buses, they throw you around like kno other vehicle and are
invariably cramped. They are the bottom feeders of public transport!

Chris

Nicholas D. Richards

Feb 1, 2024, 10:08:10 AMFeb 1
In article <upg6gs$234a1$1...@dont-email.me>, nev young <newsforpasiphae195
3...@yahoo.co.uk> on Thu, 1 Feb 2024 at 13:32:12 awoke Nicholas from his
slumbers and wrote
>On 31/01/2024 15:15, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
>>>
>> Not far apart.
>>
>> I was at primary just up Mill Brow, Worsley. After my time they knocked
>> it down and built a dirt big cutting for what was called the M62 (since
>> renumbered).
>
><an nick dote>
>The day (maybe two) before the M62 (as was) were opened to traffic
>me and a mate (I forget which one!) bicycled the entire length of the
>motorway starting and ending at the Robin Hood junction. I forget how
>far it went. Possibly to where the M606 is (used) to be. I unforget it
>were a blurry long way - but what a trip :-)
>
>Of course we got into bother and were escorted off the motorway but
>sneaked back on when plod and / or construction jbexers had moved on.
>
>Ah them were the days! I'm still a rebel!
></an>

Do you remember the gatehouse at Worsley, by the Old Courthouse, which
they demolished to allow construction of the first junction on that
there M62 (as was to be and is no longer)? I watched them demolish that
as I waited for the bus/trolley bus home from skool.

Chris Elvidge

Feb 1, 2024, 10:20:11 AMFeb 1
On 01/02/2024 13:43, nev young wrote:
> On 01/02/2024 13:37, Chris Elvidge wrote:
>
>> Is that where the Robin Hood pub used to be on Manchester Road, Clifton?
>>
> Yup. I think so.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2p8n7smm

Yes, that's the pub I remember. We moved from Clifton in 1957.

--
Chris Elvidge, England
A FIRE DRILL DOES NOT DEMAND A FIRE

Peter

Feb 1, 2024, 10:35:18 AMFeb 1
nev young <newsforpa...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in news:upg6gs$234a1$1
@dont-email.me:

> The day (maybe two) before the M62 (as was) were opened to traffic
> me and a mate (I forget which one!) bicycled the entire length of the
> motorway starting and ending at the Robin Hood junction. I forget how
> far it went. Possibly to where the M606 is (used) to be. I unforget it
> were a blurry long way - but what a trip :-)

While the Barton high-level bridge was being built I broke in a new pair of
hiking boots by walking every evening along the Stretford stretch of the
motorway. I see from wikidoodah that the bridge opened in 1960 so I guess my
use of it as a training ground for my new boots must have been in '59, when
I would have been (mmm, counts on fingers..) 13.

--
Peter
-----

Richard Robinson

Feb 1, 2024, 2:43:33 PMFeb 1
chr...@privacy.net said:

> I hate buses, they throw you around like kno other vehicle and are
> invariably cramped. They are the bottom feeders of public transport!

It's a dirty wbo.

But they'll get you to lots and lots of places no-one ever molished railway
lines to, digested bottoms or not.

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Nicholas D. Richards

Feb 1, 2024, 8:03:37 PMFeb 1
In article <XnsB10B9E922B...@135.181.20.170>, Peter
<mys...@prune.org.uk> on Thu, 1 Feb 2024 at 15:35:16 awoke Nicholas
from his slumbers and wrote
I seem to remember that some of the construction workers were killed
while building that bridge. I think there was a collapse of somesort. I
was 10 or 11.

chr...@privacy.net

Feb 2, 2024, 12:27:58 PMFeb 2
On 01/02/2024 19:43, Richard Robinson wrote:
> chr...@privacy.net said:
>>
>> I hate buses, they throw you around like kno other vehicle and are
>> invariably cramped. They are the bottom feeders of public transport!
>
> It's a dirty wbo.
>
> But they'll get you to lots and lots of places no-one ever molished railway
> lines to, digested bottoms or not.

Sad but true - but I'll probably leave those places for another lifetime.

Buses on small islands, like those of Mann and Malta, are an exception,
it has to be given.

Chris

Nicholas D. Richards

Feb 2, 2024, 5:46:12 PMFeb 2
In article <l24n0s...@mid.individual.net>, chr...@privacy.net
<chr...@privacy.net> on Fri, 2 Feb 2024 at 17:27:56 awoke Nicholas
from his slumbers and wrote
I used to holiday on an island with no roads, to speak of, no buses, but
they had a single bus stop. The official map showed a 'motorway' linking
the two major centres of population. The motorway was not much more than
a donkey track. That was a long time ago.

Richard Robinson

Feb 3, 2024, 8:15:34 AMFeb 3
Nicholas D. Richards said:
> In article <l24n0s...@mid.individual.net>, chr...@privacy.net
><chr...@privacy.net> on Fri, 2 Feb 2024 at 17:27:56 awoke Nicholas
> from his slumbers and wrote

>>> It's a dirty wbo.
>>>
>>> But they'll get you to lots and lots of places no-one ever molished railway
>>> lines to, digested bottoms or not.
>>>
>>Sad but true - but I'll probably leave those places for another lifetime.

Even if you could get there by car ?

>>Buses on small islands, like those of Mann and Malta, are an exception,
>>it has to be given.
>>
> I used to holiday on an island with no roads, to speak of, no buses, but
> they had a single bus stop. The official map showed a 'motorway' linking
> the two major centres of population. The motorway was not much more than
> a donkey track. That was a long time ago.

I saw a map of the Faroes Islands, once. The main island had 3 roads.

I don't know if there was any way of getting a vehicle from one to
another of them, looked like big steep hills in the way.

Peter

Feb 3, 2024, 9:10:34 AMFeb 3
Richard Robinson <ric...@qualmograph.org.uk> wrote in

> I saw a map of the Faroes Islands, once. The main island had 3 roads.

I visited Orkney Coastguard on Mainland many years ago. They were very proud
of the map of the Orkneys pinned up in the CG station. It showed the rest of
the UK in a little box at the bottom of the map. At that time it was normal
for maps of the UK to show the Orkneys in a small box at the top of the map.

--
Peter
-----

chr...@privacy.net

Feb 3, 2024, 10:22:52 AMFeb 3
Ha! Nice one :-)

Chris

chr...@privacy.net

Feb 3, 2024, 10:24:10 AMFeb 3
On 03/02/2024 13:15, Richard Robinson wrote:
> Nicholas D. Richards said:
>> In article <l24n0s...@mid.individual.net>, chr...@privacy.net
>> <chr...@privacy.net> on Fri, 2 Feb 2024 at 17:27:56 awoke Nicholas
>> from his slumbers and wrote

>>> Sad but true - but I'll probably leave those places for another lifetime.
>
> Even if you could get there by car ?
>
>>> Buses on small islands, like those of Mann and Malta, are an exception,
>>> it has to be given.
>>>
>> I used to holiday on an island with no roads, to speak of, no buses, but
>> they had a single bus stop. The official map showed a 'motorway' linking
>> the two major centres of population. The motorway was not much more than
>> a donkey track. That was a long time ago.
>
> I saw a map of the Faroes Islands, once. The main island had 3 roads.
I have a Faroese friend - I shall have to ask her...

Chris

maus

Feb 3, 2024, 12:50:40 PMFeb 3
Was that the former British Orkneys or the proposed Danish Orkneys?.

Not sure if there are roads on the Aran islands(galway bay). They may
call them `Sraids'

Richard Robinson

Feb 3, 2024, 1:19:11 PMFeb 3
Peter said:
> Richard Robinson <ric...@qualmograph.org.uk> wrote in
>
>> I saw a map of the Faroes Islands, once. The main island had 3 roads.
>
> I visited Orkney Coastguard on Mainland many years ago. They were very proud
> of the map of the Orkneys pinned up in the CG station. It showed the rest of
> the UK in a little box at the bottom of the map.

Yay ! "Fog in Pentland Firth, world isolated !"

> At that time it was normal for maps of the UK to show the Orkneys in a
> small box at the top of the map.

I once heard a Shetlandman asked where he lived. "That little box out to sea
off Aberdeen", he said. http://qualmograph.org.uk/tmp/satphoto.jpg

Richard Robinson

Feb 3, 2024, 1:44:56 PMFeb 3
It was quite an old map.

John Williamson

Feb 3, 2024, 1:54:25 PMFeb 3
On 03/02/2024 18:44, Richard Robinson wrote:
> chr...@privacy.net said:
>> On 03/02/2024 13:15, Richard Robinson wrote:

>>> I saw a map of the Faroes Islands, once. The main island had 3 roads.
>> I have a Faroese friend - I shall have to ask her...
>
> It was quite an old map.

Google Streetview has been there.

Sam Plusnet

Feb 3, 2024, 3:56:13 PMFeb 3
Plus a fair few YouTubers. Steve Marsh is one of them.

--
Sam Plusnet

me9

Feb 3, 2024, 10:08:05 PMFeb 3
Richard Robinson <ric...@qualmograph.org.uk> wrote:

> I saw a map of the Faroes Islands, once. The main island had 3 roads.
>
> I don't know if there was any way of getting a vehicle from one to another
> of them, looked like big steep hills in the way.

I goove they are excellent tunnellers.

--
braind

nev young

Feb 4, 2024, 3:05:37 AMFeb 4
On 01/02/2024 15:05, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:

> Do you remember the gatehouse at Worsley, by the Old Courthouse, which
> they demolished to allow construction of the first junction on that
> there M62 (as was to be and is no longer)? I watched them demolish that
> as I waited for the bus/trolley bus home from skool.

No don't recall that.
My only recollections of Worsley are:
wondering where the canal water turns brown and Bile Beans.

Nicholas D. Richards

Feb 4, 2024, 3:49:43 AMFeb 4
In article <upngge$3ij6g$1...@dont-email.me>, nev young <newsforpasiphae195
3...@yahoo.co.uk> on Sun, 4 Feb 2024 at 08:05:34 awoke Nicholas from his
slumbers and wrote
>On 01/02/2024 15:05, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
>

>> Do you remember the gatehouse at Worsley, by the Old Courthouse, which
>> they demolished to allow construction of the first junction on that
>> there M62 (as was to be and is no longer)? I watched them demolish that
>> as I waited for the bus/trolley bus home from skool.
>
>No don't recall that.
>My only recollections of Worsley are:
>wondering where the canal water turns brown and Bile Beans.

Amongst his other duties my father managed the then remaining navigable
levels that exited to the Bridgewater Canal. They were no longer
directly used to get coal but were maintained to assist in the drainage
of SE Lancashire coal mines. The drainage is no longer actively
maintained by pumping but will continue into any sort of foreseeable
future.

The water is draining through ferrous strata and the colour is caused by
iron oxides. I have read that there is a project to remove the oxides
from the drainage water. I am not sure how I feel about that.

The boats used in these navigable levels were known as 'Starvationers'
due to the narrowness and the visibility of the ribs. I had the
privilege of travelling the length of the maintained length of the
levels, circa 1965. Access was from the shaft in Walkden Yard.

Peter

Feb 4, 2024, 5:22:06 AMFeb 4

> The water is draining through ferrous strata and the colour is caused
> by iron oxides. I have read that there is a project to remove the
> oxides from the drainage water. I am not sure how I feel about that.

Me too. The whole point of the Bridgewater Canal was its colour, to a lad
like me.

> The boats used in these navigable levels were known as 'Starvationers'
> due to the narrowness and the visibility of the ribs. I had the
> privilege of travelling the length of the maintained length of the
> levels, circa 1965. Access was from the shaft in Walkden Yard.

There's some good U-bend footage of the starvationers and the blokes who
used to operate them

--
Peter
-----

Nicholas D. Richards

Feb 4, 2024, 7:19:51 AMFeb 4
In article <XnsB10E697ABE...@135.181.20.170>, Peter
<mys...@prune.org.uk> on Sun, 4 Feb 2024 at 10:22:05 awoke Nicholas
from his slumbers and wrote
By the 1960's most of these 'blokes' were Yugoslavs who remained from
after WWII. They had learnt their English from fellow workers. It was
'ripe' without an aggressive voice. On my trip I learnt a few new words
that I had never heard before. A fond memory.