I wish

RustyHinge

Nov 25, 2022, 5:49:53 AM11/25/22
That those running the jbexvatf of the intertubes could (reliably) track
down spammers and crooks online and make a list of real villains
available to complainants, so that retribution could be heaped on the
heads of miscreants.

One might, f'rinstance, register a charge for being sent spam, phishing
attempts, etc. Then, on receiving said junk, demand payment and have a
real target for legal action.

Money talks. Enforcement often would be difficult, but it can't be
outside the wit of those who run things to devise a method of skimming
the scum off the web.

If I had a quid for every attempt to flog me fake Louis Vuitton
handbags, Ray Ban sunglasses, or getting bank details by deception, or
purporting to bring news of winning a Tessla, Mini Cooper, VW Golf, free
Ryan Air tickets etc (more examples available) I'd be able to ohl any of
the proffered prizes.

I don't want no Anusberries vultures either.

Failure to comply with trespass charges should mark an individual and
his/her aliases as personae non garter (Hooray! Stockings fall down!)

Ran tover. For now.

--
Rusty Hinge

Brian Gaff

Nov 25, 2022, 6:06:50 AM11/25/22
Yes all day yesterday I was getting this text message, hi mum I broke my
phone can you call me on my new number, which was listed. Needless to say, I
never did call this new number, although it did not look like premium rate
one, it has to have been some kind of scam.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"RustyHinge" <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote in message

John Williamson

Nov 25, 2022, 7:23:24 AM11/25/22
On 25/11/2022 10:49, RustyHinge wrote:
> That those running the jbexvatf of the intertubes could (reliably) track
> down spammers and crooks online and make a list of real villains
> available to complainants, so that retribution could be heaped on the
> heads of miscreants.

As the origin of usenet was a system designed so that messages always
got through, no matter what, being able to trace the source of the
messages had a very low priority. Also, it was invented by students...

A similar problem applies to e-mail, in that reliability was valued over
traceability.

> One might, f'rinstance, register a charge for being sent spam, phishing
> attempts, etc. Then, on receiving said junk, demand payment and have a
> real target for legal action.

There are services which offer that, but are subscriber only, so that if
I wanted to send you a message, we would both have to be on the same
network. Something like Whatsapp. All messages can be traced to a
particular phone, though they are encrypted end to end. IOW, Whatsapp
(Now part of Meta) know who is talking to whom, but don't admit to
knowing what's being said.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Julian Macassey

Nov 25, 2022, 9:19:34 AM11/25/22
On Fri, 25 Nov 2022 10:49:50 +0000, RustyHinge
<rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
> That those running the jbexvatf of the intertubes could (reliably) track
> down spammers and crooks online and make a list of real villains
> available to complainants, so that retribution could be heaped on the
> heads of miscreants.

As Snowdon (Not the Lord) and others have shown us,
there are entities that know the location and destintion of
internet packets and also cell phone signals. For example, wife
killer OJ Simpson is driving and on his cell phone, the Filth
knew exactly where he was using cell phone data. Your cell phone
carrier knows where your cell phone is, but if you leve it in a
pub somewhere and call your carrier, they won't tell you where
it is, unless of course you are Apple computer and one of your
employees leaves a test unit in a bar and someone picks it up,
then in no time goons are banging on a door demanding the return
of the phone.

If you issue a threat on line against a US president,
within hours men in raincoats are banging on doors and dragging
pimply faced youths off to the nick. If another youth penetrates
a sensitive site, the same thing happens. But shuld you be a
regular Joe and subject to fraud, the Filth are too busy to
help.

We just need the filth to do more than protect the rich
and powerful. They have the tools, they just need to use them to
keep the peace.

--
"We must adopt a system of despotism in our relations with the
barbarians of South Africa.” - Cecil Rhodes, 1887

Peter

Nov 25, 2022, 10:08:54 AM11/25/22
Julian Macassey <jul...@n6are.com> wrote in

> Your cell phone
> carrier knows where your cell phone is, but if you leve it in a
> pub somewhere and call your carrier, they won't tell you where
> it is,

It's to proect your privacy, innit.

> unless of course you are Apple computer and one of your
> employees leaves a test unit in a bar and someone picks it up,
> then in no time goons are banging on a door demanding the return
> of the phone.

...except when it isn't.

--
Peter
-----

Peter

Nov 25, 2022, 10:28:12 AM11/25/22
RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote in news:tlq6kg$v2pk$1
@dont-email.me:

> That those running the jbexvatf of the intertubes could (reliably) track
> down spammers and crooks online and make a list of real villains
> available to complainants, so that retribution could be heaped on the
> heads of miscreants.

There are people who make a hobby of tracking down online fraudsters and
publishing their details on the tube of you. It makes for some fun
watching, for a short while. See the youtube channels of Jim Browning or
Pierogi (Scammer Payback), for example. But as soon as they get one exposed
or arrested a couple more spring up to take their place.

I hadn't had a telephone scammer for some mumfs until this morning, when a
nice Indian gentleman phoned me to tell me that I owed Amazon £95. Normally
I would string such a caller along for as long as I could, or until I got
bored. Couldn't be bothered this morning so I just told him that he was a
very silly man and hung up. The effect this would have had on him would be
imperceptibly different to zero.

--
Peter
-----

Nicholas D. Richards

Nov 25, 2022, 6:15:53 PM11/25/22
In article <slrnto1jnl....@n6are.com>, Julian Macassey
<jul...@n6are.com> on Fri, 25 Nov 2022 at 14:19:33 awoke Nicholas from
his slumbers and wrote
>On Fri, 25 Nov 2022 10:49:50 +0000, RustyHinge
><rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
>> That those running the jbexvatf of the intertubes could (reliably) track
>> down spammers and crooks online and make a list of real villains
>> available to complainants, so that retribution could be heaped on the
>> heads of miscreants.
>
> As Snowdon (Not the Lord) and others have shown us,
>there are entities that know the location and destintion of
>internet packets and also cell phone signals. For example, wife
>killer OJ Simpson is driving and on his cell phone, the Filth
>knew exactly where he was using cell phone data. Your cell phone
>carrier knows where your cell phone is, but if you leve it in a
>pub somewhere and call your carrier, they won't tell you where
>it is,

The late and lamented Blackberry system had just that facility. You lost
or had your phone filched, with access to an internet connected PC you
could locate your phone, wipe its contents and or make it scream.

In my experience service to the ordinary Joe moves backwards.

--
0sterc@tcher -

"Oů sont les neiges d'antan?"

Nicholas D. Richards

Nov 25, 2022, 6:22:48 PM11/25/22
In article <XnsAF5A9D5E4D...@88.198.57.247>, Peter
<mys...@prune.org.uk> on Fri, 25 Nov 2022 at 15:28:11 awoke Nicholas
from his slumbers and wrote
>RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote in news:tlq6kg$v2pk$1
>@dont-email.me:
>
>> That those running the jbexvatf of the intertubes could (reliably) track
>> down spammers and crooks online and make a list of real villains
>> available to complainants, so that retribution could be heaped on the
>> heads of miscreants.
>
>There are people who make a hobby of tracking down online fraudsters and
>publishing their details on the tube of you. It makes for some fun
>watching, for a short while. See the youtube channels of Jim Browning or
>Pierogi (Scammer Payback), for example. But as soon as they get one exposed
>or arrested a couple more spring up to take their place.
>
>I hadn't had a telephone scammer for some mumfs until this morning, when a
>nice Indian gentleman phoned me to tell me that I owed Amazon Ł95. Normally
>I would string such a caller along for as long as I could, or until I got
>bored. Couldn't be bothered this morning so I just told him that he was a
>very silly man and hung up. The effect this would have had on him would be
>imperceptibly different to zero.

A little while back I had one of these buggerems phone me, as he came to
the end of his opening crap, I asked him if he was about to try to take
some money off me. He said yes. There was not much point in continuing
the exchange.

Julian Macassey

Nov 26, 2022, 4:37:39 AM11/26/22
On Fri, 25 Nov 2022 23:12:57 +0000, Nicholas D. Richards <nich...@salmiron.com> wrote:
> In article <slrnto1jnl....@n6are.com>, Julian Macassey
>>
>> As Snowdon (Not the Lord) and others have shown us,
>>there are entities that know the location and destintion of
>>internet packets and also cell phone signals. For example, wife
>>killer OJ Simpson is driving and on his cell phone, the Filth
>>knew exactly where he was using cell phone data. Your cell phone
>>carrier knows where your cell phone is, but if you leve it in a
>>pub somewhere and call your carrier, they won't tell you where
>>it is,
>
> The late and lamented Blackberry system had just that facility. You lost
> or had your phone filched, with access to an internet connected PC you
> could locate your phone, wipe its contents and or make it scream.

Most cell phones have this facility, incluing Apple. I
know of one case where an Apple laptop was knicked, the find
my computer was active and the owner could determine the
location of the nicked hardware. No problem, call the Filth have
them pop round and pick it up and punish the theives. No such
luck the Filth were too busy to put down their doughnut and
solve a crime. See earlier post about Apple Inc recovering a
lost iPhone in hours.

--
“There is no conclusive proof that nicotine’s addictive…[or with]
cigarettes causing emphysema, lung cancer, heart disease.” - Rush

Brian Gaff

Nov 27, 2022, 7:29:02 AM11/27/22
I think if they could not actually find out who was talking to whom, they
might have a problem if it came to scourt. But the bill going through our
parliament at the moment means that end to end encryption,n not breakable by
the government will be illegal. Now I can see the logic of being able to tap
in, but I have qualms about letting the Government have such data, then
leave it on a train or accidentally publish it some place due to
incompetence!

Brian

--

--: