Next weeks notable anniversaries

F G Fletcher

Apr 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/11/97

The Blokes & Sheds Diary for Australia says;

April

12th 1861 American Civil War started

15th 1912 Titanic sank at 2.20am (Precise or what?)

16th 1746 Battle of Culloden (Another military cock-up)

17th 1790 Benjamin Franklin Scientist, kite flyer and potential
conductor died
19th 1882 Charles Darwin died

A bit morbid next week ;-(

FG.

* The opinions expressed here are not necessarily mine *
* let alone those of my employer..... *

Jon Guite

Apr 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/12/97

In article <5ikmj0$7eu$1...@bignews.shef.ac.uk>, F G Fletcher
<F.G.Fl...@shef.ac.uk> writes

>The Blokes & Sheds Diary for Australia says;
>

>April
>
>12th 1861 American Civil War started
>
>15th 1912 Titanic sank at 2.20am (Precise or what?)
>
>16th 1746 Battle of Culloden (Another military cock-up)
>
>17th 1790 Benjamin Franklin Scientist, kite flyer and potential
> conductor died
>19th 1882 Charles Darwin died

Sunday 13th
1743 Thomas Jefferson, statesman,born
1771 Richard Trevithick, engineer, born
1852 Frank Winfield Woolworth, merchant, born
1598 the edict of Nantes issued
1829 The Catholic Emancipation Act became law in Britain

Monday 14th
1053 Godwin, Earl of Wessex died
1629 Christian Huygens, physicist, born
1759 George Frederick Handel, composer, born
1865 Abraham Lincoln shot by assassin (died 15th)
1904 Sir John Gielgud, actor, born
1951 Ernest Bevin, statesman and trade unionist, died
1828 Noah Webster's Dictionary first published
1890 the Pan American Union established at the first International
Conference of American States
1912 SSTitanic sank (night of 14th/15th)

--
Jon
When replying by email, please remove the popped zit from the end of my

Bob Goddard

Apr 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/13/97

In article <MyJfnDAz...@skcldv.demon.co.uk>, Jon Guite
<j...@skcldv.demon.co.uk-kerrsplattt!!!> writes
>In article <DI98pGA$D6Tz...@skcldv.demon.co.uk>, Jon Guite
><j...@skcldv.demon.co.uk-kerrsplattt!!!> writes

>>In article <5ikmj0$7eu$1...@bignews.shef.ac.uk>, F G Fletcher
>><F.G.Fl...@shef.ac.uk> writes

>And as I happen to be here:-
>15th April:-
>69 AD the Roman Emperor Otho committed suicide
>1764 Madame de POmpadour, mistress of Louis XV, died
>1942 Malta awarded the George Cross by King George V

Bet they were annoyed about that.

Bob

--
Bob Goddard - Shed owner, folk/classical fiddler, ex-MZRC, compulsive
knob-twiddler, expert at starting DIY projects and not washing the c*r.

When sending unsolicited commercial email please replace Bob@ with
wastebasket@ in my address.

Dave Budd

Apr 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/14/97

Jon Guite wrote:

> Sunday 13th
> 1743 Thomas Jefferson, statesman,born
> 1771 Richard Trevithick, engineer, born
> 1852 Frank Winfield Woolworth, merchant, born
> 1598 the edict of Nantes issued
> 1829 The Catholic Emancipation Act became law in Britain

1954 Dave Budd born
--
Dave Budd: brown ale, greyhounds, poker, Formula1, juggling, sheds
To reply by email you must delete the trailing x from the To: field

David John

Apr 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/14/97

In article <3351EF...@mcc.ac.ukx>, Dave Budd
<D.B...@mcc.ac.ukx> writes

>Jon Guite wrote:
>
>> Sunday 13th
>> 1743 Thomas Jefferson, statesman,born
>> 1771 Richard Trevithick, engineer, born
>> 1852 Frank Winfield Woolworth, merchant, born
>> 1598 the edict of Nantes issued
>> 1829 The Catholic Emancipation Act became law in Britain
>1954 Dave Budd born

I guess this opens the floodgates to personal significant dates.
Monday 14th
1973 David & Susan John married.
[Before you ask: Yes, I did forget. To say 'grovel, grovel' with
flowers is bloody expensive these days]
--
David John

JustinC

Apr 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/14/97

In article <3351EF...@mcc.ac.ukx>, Dave Budd <D.B...@mcc.ac.ukx>
writes
>Jon Guite wrote:
>
>> Sunday 13th
>> 1743 Thomas Jefferson, statesman,born
>> 1771 Richard Trevithick, engineer, born
>> 1852 Frank Winfield Woolworth, merchant, born
>> 1598 the edict of Nantes issued
>> 1829 The Catholic Emancipation Act became law in Britain
>1954 Dave Budd born

I knew there was a good reason for that drink I had last night.

Anyone got any good events which happened on May 5th? Smy birfday see an
I wanna know oo / wha' I share it wiv, init?

--
__________ ______________________________________________ ________________
|| ||

Paul Beardow

Apr 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/15/97

Dave Budd <D.B...@mcc.ac.ukx> says:

>Jon Guite wrote:
>
>> Sunday 13th
>> 1743 Thomas Jefferson, statesman,born
>> 1771 Richard Trevithick, engineer, born
>> 1852 Frank Winfield Woolworth, merchant, born
>> 1598 the edict of Nantes issued
>> 1829 The Catholic Emancipation Act became law in Britain
>1954 Dave Budd born

1997 Dirk Wilton pops his clogs - poor old Mavis, eh?

Slippers and a cardy again this year Dave? Or was it tie 'n'
aftershave?
Paul Beardow
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/1555/

Jon Guite

Apr 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/15/97

In article <un3upPA+...@j-catter.demon.co.uk>, JustinC
<jus...@fake.co.uk> writes

>In article <3351EF...@mcc.ac.ukx>, Dave Budd <D.B...@mcc.ac.ukx>
>writes
>>Jon Guite wrote:
>>
>>> Sunday 13th
>>> 1743 Thomas Jefferson, statesman,born
>>> 1771 Richard Trevithick, engineer, born
>>> 1852 Frank Winfield Woolworth, merchant, born
>>> 1598 the edict of Nantes issued
>>> 1829 The Catholic Emancipation Act became law in Britain
>>1954 Dave Budd born
>
>I knew there was a good reason for that drink I had last night.
>
>Anyone got any good events which happened on May 5th? Smy birfday see an
>I wanna know oo / wha' I share it wiv, init?

OK, 5th May you can select from the following:-

1705 Leopold I, Holy Roman Emperor died
1747 Leopold II, Holy Roman Emperor, born - neat trick involving liquid
nitrogen, but we won't go into that here.
1813 Soren Kierkegaard, philosopher, born
1818 Karl Marx, political philosopher, born
1821 Naploeon died at St Helena
1887 Sir Charles R. Fairey, aeroplane designer, born
1865 First train robbery in the USA carried out near North Bend, Ohio
1936 Italian troops captured Addis Ababa
1942 British troops invaded Madagascar
1949 Statute establishing the Council of Europe signed in London
1955 The Federal Republic of Germany became a sovereign independent
state.

That little lot should be worth a few bevvies - don't forget to email me
one

David Roberts

Apr 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/15/97

Gaye Oliver wrote:

> Happy birthday, Dave.
>
> I'll have a drink for you tonight, to make up for the fact that I
> didn't have one last night. Well, actually, I did have one, or three,
> last night, but not for the right reason. Well, it was for the right
> reason, but not *this* right reason....

That must have been about the time I was trying out the Bishop's
Finger.
Ok, calm yourselves, I'm refering to Sherperd Neame's other ale,
and very nice it was too.

Hippo birdie, Dabe!

David
--
***************================****************
Right that's enough junk mail.

Dave Budd

Apr 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/16/97

Paul Beardow wrote:

> Slippers and a cardy again this year Dave? Or was it tie 'n'
> aftershave?

Do you *really* want to know?
I was told in no uncertain terms that Malmuth's "Theory of Poker" might
be a very good book but she wouldn't buy it for me. It then transpired
that videos of Grand Prix (supposedly starring James Garner but I like
the bits where Graham Hill stands about looking cool) and Le Mans (with
Steve McQueen) weren't available, AND the lads from Mushy Pea had "taken
all the good stuff to Nottingham". So I got NOWT! I'll drop into Mushy
Pea again today and see if they've brought anything back from
Nottingham....want some astroballs (the glowballs are too expensive).
And the various bits of paper that fell out of various envelopes should
cover the cost of the Malmuth book - if Waterstones still have that
one&only copy in Manchester, of course.
Oh, the Chateau Musar was corked as well, so it was BAs all round.

--
Dave Bu...@1997.04.13: 1111111111111111111111111111111111111111111
101011 1121 223 133 111 61 53 47 43 3A 37 34 31 2D 2B

To reply by email you must delete the trailing x from the To: field

Paul Beardow

Apr 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/16/97

Dave Budd <D.B...@mcc.ac.ukx> says:

>Paul Beardow wrote:
>
>> Slippers and a cardy again this year Dave? Or was it tie 'n'
>> aftershave?
>
>Do you *really* want to know?

Er... no I didn't actually, I was just being polite. Still, did you
expect anything else on your birthday apart from a rather tatty card
which looked remarkably like last year's? It was bound to be a bad day
what with Dirk having his seizure and selling his last paperclip. My
twins were two years old the week before and were they grateful, were
they buggery! Isn't that typical of the youth today? I mean, I spend a
small fortune on "My Little Pony" or whatever it is (sound's like a
cockney potty to me) and they spend all their time playing with the
paper it was wrapped in. Used to get a conker when I were a lad and I
was grateful, I'll tell you now! Bah!

Peter Dewhirst

Apr 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/16/97

{Major Snippingtons}
(Because Free Agent and Pipex get all upset if there is more quoted
text than new)

>Er... no I didn't actually, I was just being polite. Still, did you
>expect anything else on your birthday apart from a rather tatty card
>which looked remarkably like last year's? It was bound to be a bad day
>what with Dirk having his seizure and selling his last paperclip.
Suggest you take a look at rec.arts.tv.uk.coronation-st !

Pip Pip!

--
Peter Dewhirst
"Or we could go to Wilmslow and give the plastic a bashing"

Dave Budd

Apr 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/16/97

Paul Beardow wrote:

> Dave Budd <D.B...@mcc.ac.ukx> says:

> >Do you *really* want to know?
>

> Er... no I didn't actually, I was just being polite.

Oh, OK. I suspected as much, deep down in the murky depths of my
tortured soul.
I see nobody spotted my deliberate (honest guv) mistake: It's Sklansky
wot wrote Theory of Poker. Him and Malmuth have collaborated on some
fine poker books, but not that one.
Happily Waterstone's have worked out that 29.95USD comes to 19.95UKP,
which I suspect is a little low in bookshop terms, and certainly
comparable with my usual method of ordering direct from the States.
Got the Astroballs as well, AND a Yardbirds album!

cenemc

Apr 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/16/97

Dave Budd wrote:

> Paul Beardow wrote:
>
> > Slippers and a cardy again this year Dave? Or was it tie 'n'
> > aftershave?
>
> Do you *really* want to know?
> I was told in no uncertain terms that Malmuth's "Theory of Poker" might
> be a very good book but she wouldn't buy it for me. It then transpired
> that videos of Grand Prix (supposedly starring James Garner but I like
> the bits where Graham Hill stands about looking cool) and Le Mans (with
> Steve McQueen) weren't available,

Sorry to hear that the b'day was a bummer but you might be able to get the
videos from Merlin Books. I've got their catalogue at home so I'll look
them up for you. Tell you tomorrow.

--
Euan Callow (remove x to reply)

Frank Erskine

Apr 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/16/97

In article <335344...@mcc.ac.ukx>, Dave Budd <D.B...@mcc.ac.ukx>
writes

>JustinC wrote:
>

>> Anyone got any good events which happened on May 5th?
>
>that's my mother's birthday.

...and it's *my* mother's birthday on May 10th.
--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland

Martin Trump

Apr 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/17/97

In article <3354b083...@news.demon.co.uk>, Paul Beardow <pbeardow@
superscape.com.nojunk> writes

>small fortune on "My Little Pony" or whatever it is (sound's like a
>cockney potty to me) and they spend all their time playing with the

No, that'd be the 'pony and trap'!

Regards,

--
Martin Trump

cenemc

Apr 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/17/97

Looked it up, no dice. Sorry

W Davies

Apr 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/17/97

On Thu, 17 Apr 1997 00:28:54 +0100, Martin Trump
<mar...@wmeadow.demon.co.uk> made me spill my meths when I read:

Is that the one ridden by Jimmy Riddle

Wayne Davies
Harrogate, North Yorkshire, UK

Change is inevitable...............except from a PhotoMe passport booth
or this bloody Land Rover gearbox

Paul Beardow

Apr 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/18/97

wa...@yorkshire.u-net.com (W Davies) says:

>On Thu, 17 Apr 1997 00:28:54 +0100, Martin Trump
><mar...@wmeadow.demon.co.uk> made me spill my meths when I read:
>
>>In article <3354b083...@news.demon.co.uk>, Paul Beardow <pbeardow@
>>superscape.com.nojunk> writes
>>>small fortune on "My Little Pony" or whatever it is (sound's like a
>>>cockney potty to me) and they spend all their time playing with the
>>
>>No, that'd be the 'pony and trap'!
>>
>>Regards,
>
>Is that the one ridden by Jimmy Riddle

No that's the "Horse and Cart", you're thinking of Jako Nash.

I once went into Emporio Armani in London's "Knightsbridge" shopping
centre - why they couldn't call it Arndale like everywhere else I
don't know, it makes it so difficult to remember - anyway, I asked the
assistant for a pair of "Lionel's" as in "Lionel Blairs" as I wanted a
trouser with ample width at the base. He looked at me aghast and said
that they didn't stock light entertainers, what is London coming to, I
ask you?

David John

Apr 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/18/97

In article <zYjn5CAH...@antler.demon.co.uk>, Alan H
Jones <al...@antler.demon.co.uk> writes
>In article <vbZ5cBAU...@concern.demon.co.uk>, David John
><da...@concern.demon.co.uk> writes

>>I guess this opens the floodgates to personal significant dates.
>>Monday 14th
>>1973 David & Susan John married.
> ^^^^^^^^^^
>She married you so she wouldn't have to change her surname?
Very common in Wales, dontcha know?
I know an eye consultant, an Indian gentleman, who has worked here
for nearly a quarter of a century. He told me he choose Wales
because of his bad memory for names. His MO is to walk into a
waiting room full of patents and ask for a Jones. He knows he will be
correct 75 percent of the time. I think the English rugby team do the
equivalent - play the percentages. I've never really understood what
was meant by that.

>Hmm... I
>suppose its as good a reason as any.
Indeed. She saved a fortune on stationery. And I have no trouble
with the women's libbers on the subject of subserviance through
namechange on marriage.

>>[Before you ask: Yes, I did forget. To say 'grovel, grovel' with
>>flowers is bloody expensive these days]
>

>Before you do this next year, check if she can remember (a) your
>birthday (b) your parents birthdays (c) their Wedding Aniversary (d)her
>parents... etc. If you do your homework properly she will remember
>fewer than you.
No need to check. She has never remembered any of these.
Amazing really considering her memory for her birthday, Mother's
Day etc is erm, amazing.

>And when your birthday comes around and she forgets it;
>you should be able to persuade her to buy you a Swiss Army knife!
I actually tried that one year. Needless to say, without success.

>I usually forget my own birthday and have never even known the exact
>date on which I got spliced, but by careful training I have managed to
>erase these dates from the mind of 'Er-in-Doors', thus avoiding your
>expensive problem.
Do you sell such a Course? Serious Money could be made here.

--
David John

John Price

Apr 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/19/97

In message <yMRxmBAc...@g3wte.demon.co.uk>
Frank Erskine <fr...@g3wte.demon.co.uk> writes:

> In article <335344...@mcc.ac.ukx>, Dave Budd <D.B...@mcc.ac.ukx>
> writes
> >JustinC wrote:
> >

> >> Anyone got any good events which happened on May 5th?
> >
> >that's my mother's birthday.

> ...and it's *my* mother's birthday on May 10th.
> --

I'm an orphan. :(

jOHN of St Albans

Dave S Smith

Apr 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/20/97

In article <3357332b...@news.demon.co.uk>, Paul Beardow <pbeardow@s

uperscape.com.nojunk> writes
>wa...@yorkshire.u-net.com (W Davies) says:
>

>>On Thu, 17 Apr 1997 00:28:54 +0100, Martin Trump
>><mar...@wmeadow.demon.co.uk> made me spill my meths when I read:
>>
>>>In article <3354b083...@news.demon.co.uk>, Paul Beardow <pbeardow@
>>>superscape.com.nojunk> writes
>>>
>>>No, that'd be the 'pony and trap'!
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>
>>Is that the one ridden by Jimmy Riddle
>>
> No that's the "Horse and Cart", you're thinking of Jako Nash.
>
>I once went into Emporio Armani in London's "Knightsbridge" shopping
>centre - why they couldn't call it Arndale like everywhere else I
>don't know, it makes it so difficult to remember - anyway, I asked the
>assistant for a pair of "Lionel's" as in "Lionel Blairs" as I wanted a
>trouser with ample width at the base. He looked at me aghast and said
>that they didn't stock light entertainers, what is London coming to, I
>ask you?

Lionels? Bit behind the times there, old chap. What you should have
asked for was a pair of Tonys.

-- This message submitted to the ether by: Dave S Smith

"I love work; it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours. Why, some
of the work I have by me now has been in my possession for years, and there's
not a finger-mark on it."
Jerome K Jerome, Three men in a boat

Email me at
Home, as ---- hool...@desq.demon.co.uk
or Work, as - d...@medoc.demon.co.uk

Bod

Apr 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/22/97

In article <osE2wIAN...@skcldv.demon.co.uk>,
Jon Guite <j...@skcldv.demon.co.uk-kerrsplattt!!!> wrote:

>1834 St Helena became a crown colony - now here's a factet that not many
>people know (or would wish to). Napoleon was exiled to St Helena and
>then IIRC to the Isle of Elba. Whilst on the Isle of Elba, he actually
>believed that he was in the French town of Arras. In other words he
>didn't know his Arras from his Elba. (Sorry!)

Souns like time for a palindrome thread...

"Able was I ere I saw Elba" 'e was reputed to have said...

And can there be a sheddier way to die than being poisoned by your
wallpaper!?!?!

Bod

John Price

Apr 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/22/97

In message <5jj16l$9mk...@salford.ac.uk>
AMG...@news.salford.ac.uk (Bod) writes:

> Sounds like time for a palindrome thread...

You'd be hard-pressed to beat:

Doc, Note. I dissent. A fast never prevents a fatness. I diet on cod.

Happens to be true, too.

jOHN of St Albans

Peter Dewhirst

Apr 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/23/97

On Tue, 22 Apr 1997 16:29:00 +0100, John Price
<john....@zetnet.co.uk> wrote:

>> Sounds like time for a palindrome thread...
>
>You'd be hard-pressed to beat:
>
>Doc, Note. I dissent. A fast never prevents a fatness. I diet on cod.

Best one tells the story of Ferdinand de Lesseps:

Probably not a good idea to respond to your own posts, but for the
benefit of the easily offended, the following palindrome isn't if it's
ROT 13'd

A man, a cyna, a canal, Panama

Someone posted a list of words that are still words when ROT 13'd.
AnyPalindromes that still make sense (!) when ROT 13'd?

Now there's a cebwrpg for someone with gvzr to spare!

Pip Pip!
--
Pip Pip!

Peter Dewhirst
"Nobody climbed Everest on soggy pastry! I say, nobody climbed Everest om soggy pastry"
Fred Elliott 19 April 1997

Bod

Apr 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/23/97

In article <199704221...@zetnet.co.uk>,

John Price <john....@zetnet.co.uk> wrote:

>In message <5jj16l$9mk...@salford.ac.uk>
> AMG...@news.salford.ac.uk (Bod) writes:
>

>> Sounds like time for a palindrome thread...
>
>You'd be hard-pressed to beat:
>
>Doc, Note. I dissent. A fast never prevents a fatness. I diet on cod.
>

>Happens to be true, too.

What, you died on cod?? Deepest sympathies & all that...

(I must not pinch other peoples lines
I must not pinch other peoples lines
I must not pinch other peoples lines
I must not pi... oh soddit)

Bod

Bod

Apr 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/23/97

Jon Guite

May 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/24/97

In article <4HSrxGA8...@j-catter.demon.co.uk>, JustinC
<jus...@fake.co.uk> writes

>Any chance of reviving this, the only on topic thread in this whole
>shed? Be shame to see it die.

OK, remember you did ask :-

Sunday 25th

1803 Ralph Waldo Emerson, writer, born
1879 Lord Beaverbrook, newspaper publisher, born
1921 the first British woman barrister qualified
1923 Jordan achieved independence
1934 Gustav Holst, composer, died
1953 The world's first atomic shell fired in Nevada
1955 A British expedition climbed Kanchejunga

Monday 26th

1703 Samuel Pepys, diarist, died
1799 Alexander Pushkin, writer, born
1844 Jacques Laffitte, banker and politician, died
1867 Queen Mary, wife of King George V, born
1939 Charles Mayo, surgeon, died
1660 King Charles II landed at Dover
1805 Napoleon crowned King of Italy
1865 American Civil War ended with the surrender of the last Confederate
army
1906 Vauxhall Bridge opened
1913 The first British woman magistrate, Emily Duncan appointed
1966 Guyana became independent

Tuesday 27th

1564 John Calvin, Church reformer, died
1661 The 8th Earl of Argyll, soldier, beheaded
1679 The Habeas Corpur Act became law
1867 Arnold Bennett, novelist, born
1878 Isadora Duncan, dancer, born
1937 The Golden Gate Bridge opened
1941 the battleship Bismarck sunk
1964 Jawaharlal Nehru, statesman, died

Wednesday 28th

1738 Dr Joseph Guillotin, advisor on capital punishment, born
1759 William Pitt the Younger, born
1779 Thomas Moore, poet, born
1849 Anne Bronte, novelist, died
1932 the closing of the 20 mile dyke connecting north Holland with
Friesland reduced the Zuider Zee to an inland lake
1937 Neville Chamberlain appointed British Prime Minister
1940 the Belgian Army surrendered to the Germans
1972 the Duke of Windsor died

Thursday 29th
1500 Bartolomeu Diaz, explorer, lost at sea
1630 Charles II, King of England and Scotland, born
1660 Charles II, entered London
1829 Sir Humphrey Davy, scientist, died
1874 G.K. Chesterton, writer, born
1911 Sir William Gilbert, playwright, died
1917 John F. Kennedy, statesman, born
1940 The evacuation of Dunkirk began
1953 Sir Edmund Hillary and the Sherpa Tensing climbed Mount Everest

Friday May 30th

1431 St Joan of Arc burnt at the stake
1593 Christopher Marlow, playwright, killed
1640 Peter Paul Rubens, artist, died
1656 The Grenadier Guard formed
1672 Peter the Great, Tsar of Russia, born
1744 Alexander Pope, poet, died
1778 Voltaire, writer, died

Saturday May 31st

1669 Samuel Pepys ended his diary
1809 Franz Joseph Haydn, composer, born
1819 Walt Whitman, poet, born
1837 Joseph Grimaldi, clown, died
1863 Sir Francis Younghusband, explorer, born
1910 The Union of South Africa formed
1916 The Battle of Jutland
1923 Rainier III, Prince of Monaco, born

OK, there's a whole weeks worth - let me know if you want any more
reasons to go to the pub.

Bob Goddard

May 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/24/97

In article <4HSrxGA8...@j-catter.demon.co.uk>, JustinC
<jus...@fake.co.uk> writes

>Any chance of reviving this, the only on topic thread in this whole
>shed? Be shame to see it die.

Will this do for starters?

(Bob

---------------->

May 25

Feast day of

St Madeleine Barat, St Gregory VII, pope, St Mary Magdalen de Pazzi, St
Urban, St Zenobius, St Leo of Mantenay, St Dionysius of Milan, St
Gennadius of Astorga, and St Bede.

Events

1234 The Mongols took Kaifeng and destroyed the Chin dynasty.
1524 Henry VIII and Charles V formed a new league to support the Duke of
Bourbon in a fresh attack on France.
1657 New Humble Petition and Advice created a new House of Lords, and
increased Cromwell's power.
1657 Louis XIV put forward his name as a candidate for the Holy Roman
Empire.
1659 Richard Cromwell resigned; the Rump Parliament re-established the
Commonwealth.
1694 The ministry in England was remodelled when William III dismissed
Tories, except Godolphin and Danby, and introduced Whig Junta of Somers,
Russell, Montague, and Wharton.
1911 Porfirio Diaz resigned as president of Mexico.
1914 The British House of Commons passed the Irish Home Rule bill.
1923 The independence of Transjordan under Amir Abdullah was proclaimed.
1953 Denationalisation of road transport in Britain.
1961 US President Kennedy presents an extra-ordinary state of Union
message to Congress for increased funds urgently needed for US space,
defence, and air programmes.

Births

John Stuart, Earl of Bute, Britain's first Scottish prime minister,
1713;
Edward George Bulwer Lytton, Lord Lytton, English novelist, 1803;
Ralph Waldo Emerson, US poet and essayist, 1803;
Jacob Burckhardt Swiss historian, 1818;
Béla Bartók, Hungarian composer, 1881;
Josip Broz Tito, Yugoslavian soldier and president, 1892;
Miles Davis, US jazz trumpeter, 1926;
Ian McKellen, English actor, 1939.

Deaths

Bede, English monk and historian, 735;
Georges D'Amboise, French cardinal and politician, 1510;
Gaspard Poussin, French painter, 1675;
Pedro Caldéron de la Barca, Spanish playwright, 1681;
Samuel Pepys, English diarist, 1703;
Gustav Holst, English composer, 1934.

-------------->

May 26

Feast day of St Priscus, St Augustine of Canterbury, St Philip Neri, St
Lambert of Venice, St Quadratus of Athens, and St Mariana of Quito.

Events

1520 Charles V visited Henry VIII at Dover and Canterbury.
1521 The Edict of Worms imposed on Martin Luther the ban of the Empire.
1538 Jean Calvin was expelled from Geneva and settled in Strasbourg.
1659 Aurangzeb formally became Mogul Emperor.
1798 Income tax was introduced in Britain, as a tax of 10% on all
incomes over £200.
1805 Napoleon was crowned King of Italy in Milan Cathedral.
1834 Sikhs captured Peshawar.
1846 Robert Peel repealed the Corn Laws (royal assent given 26 June),
splitting the Conservative Party.
1865 The surrender of the last Confederate army at Shreveport, near New
Orleans, ended the American Civil War.
1924 Calvin Coolidge signed a bill limiting immigration into the USA and
entirely excluding the Japanese.

Births

Charles of Orleans, French poet, 1391;
Henry Vane the younger, English politician, 1613;
William Petty, English economist, 1623;
Lady Mary Wortley Montagu, English writer, 1689;
Edmond de Goncourt, French novelist, 1822;
A E Housman, English poet, 1859;
Princess Mary of Teck (Queen Mary, consort of George V), 1867;
Al Jolson, US singer, 1886;
John Wayne, US film actor, 1907;
Peter Cushing, British actor, 1913.

Deaths

St Augustine, first archbishop of Canterbury, 604;
Philip Neri, Italian priest, founder of the Oratory, 1595;
Charles Mayo, US surgeon, 1922;
Victor Herbert, US composer and conductor, 1924;
Lincoln Ellsworth, US scientist and polar explorer, 1951.

-------------------->

May 27

Feast day of St Julius the Veteran, St Eutropius of Orange, St Restituta
of Sora, and St Melangel.

Events

1063 Harold of Wessex began to conquer Wales.
1199 Pope Innocent III imposed the first direct papal taxation of
Clergy.
1199 Death of Minamoto Yoritomo, first Shogun of Japan; his followers
retained control of government but fought for supremacy.
1299 Peace was negotiated between Genoa and Venice, ending their war
(since 1261) to control trade with the Byzantine Empire.
1719 Emperor Charles VI founded the Oriental Company in Vienna to
compete with Dutch trade in the Orient.
1813 US forces occupied Fort St George, and the British abandoned the
entire Niagara frontier.
1941 The German battleship Bismarck was sunk by the Royal Navy west of
Brest.

Births

Amelia Bloomer, US feminist and dress reformer, 1818;
Julia Ward Howe, US writer, 1819;
Vincent d'Indy, French composer, 1851;
Arnold Bennett, English novelist, 1867;
John Cockcroft, English physicist, 1897;
Hubert Humphrey, US politician, 1911;
Vincent Price, US film actor, 1911;
Henry Kissinger, US politician, 1923.

Deaths

John Calvin, French religious reformer, 1564;
Archibald Campbell, Marquess of Argyll, Scottish Covenanter, beheaded,
1661;
Marquise de Montespan, mistress of the French King Louis XIV, 1707;
Niccol Paganini, Italian violinist, 1840;
Robert Koch, German bacteriologist, 1910;
Jawaharlal Nehru, Indian politician, 1964.

---------------------->

May 28

Feast day of St Bernard of Aosta, St Ignatius of Rostov, St Senator of
Milan, St William of Gellone, St Germanus of Paris, and St Justus of
Urgel.

Events

1358 In France the uprising known as the Jacquerie broke out - the
peasants were protesting at their impoverished state after the ravages
of the Hundred Years' War.
1539 Royal assent was given to an Act (the Six Articles of Religion)
`abolishing diversity of opinions' in England, after Henry VIII
personally intervened in the Lords' debate to argue with the Reforming
bishops.
1932 The IJselmeer was formed in the Netherlands, by the completion of a
dam which enclosed the former Zuider Zee.
1956 France ceded former French settlements in India to the Indian
Union.
1959 Britain announced the removal of controls on imports of many
consumer goods from the dollar area, with increased import quotas of
other goods.
1961 The last journey of the `Orient Express' train, from Paris to
Bucharest; it had been in operation for 78 years.

Births

King George I of Great Britain, 1660;
Joseph Guillotin, French physician and revolutionary, 1738;
William Pitt, British politician, 1759;
Thomas Moore, Irish poet, 1779;
Prosper Mérimée, French novelist, 1803;
F W Maitland, English historian, 1850;
Ian Fleming, English novelist, 1908;
Thora Hird, English actress, 1916;
Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau, German baritone, 1925.

Deaths

Lanfranc, Archbishop of Canterbury, 1089;
Edward Montagu, Earl of Sandwich, English admiral, 1672;
Thomas Chippendale, English cabinet-maker, 1779;
Jean Louis Rodolphe Agassiz, Swiss oceanographer and marine zoologist,
1807;
Noah Webster, US lexicographer, 1843;
Henry Thomas Buckle, English historian, 1862;
Lord John Russell, Earl Russell, British politician, 1878;
Alfred Adler, Austrian psychiatrist, 1937.

--
B Shed owner, crossword compiler, folk/classical fiddler, ex-MZRC,
Goddard - compulsive knob-twiddler, expert at starting DIY projects and

When sending unsolicited commercial email please replace Bob@ with
wastebasket@ in my address. Otherwise just remove the trash.

JustinC

May 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/24/97