Clouded Thinking

Tone

Aug 11, 2022, 12:14:11 PM8/11/22
Obviously the answer to excess heat is to shade off the sun.

The only effective way to do that would be to create clouds in the right
places. So, while we're at it we might as well create rain clouds, as
our reservoirs are getting low.

They happen easy enough naturally. So why haven't we managed to
replicate the process en mass artificially?

I bet if NASA diverted their funds away from looking at dry rocks on
distant planets and put their resources behind cloud making, they could
come up with summat.

Clever buggers, they are.

Tone

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Aug 12, 2022, 4:00:02 AM8/12/22
On Thu, 11 Aug 2022 17:14:08 +0100
Tone <to...@email.com> wrote:

> Obviously the answer to excess heat is to shade off the sun.
>
> The only effective way to do that would be to create clouds in the right
> places. So, while we're at it we might as well create rain clouds, as
> our reservoirs are getting low.

Consider the phrase "cold clear night".

Clouds not only reflect sunlight but they also retain surface heat.
To cool the place down we want daytime cloud cover and clear nights which
is a tad tricky to organise.

Making the ocean surface reflective would probably work better, it
might have other less desirable effects though.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Brian Gaff

Aug 12, 2022, 4:12:51 AM8/12/22
When the Nuclear reactor in Russia exploded, they seeded the atmosphere on
the side of the prevailing wind with Silver Iodide crystals. The result was
a lot of rain, sadly rather than washing the fallout into the targeted
almost empty area, it rained on a lot of small towns which they never
admitted to until relatively recently.
Best laid plans and all that.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Tone" <to...@email.com> wrote in message

Brian Gaff

Aug 12, 2022, 4:18:26 AM8/12/22
Well, what about a huge space sunshade then. I believe there is an orbit one
could use nearer the sun where things tend to get stuck. I think there are
three of those, but not sure if one is between us and the sun.
OK I know that attempting large structures in space is very hard as the
reason space elevators will not work, the conservation of energy problem,
but there is also another problem, the solar wind acting on your sunshade.

To make a significant difference at the distance required would mean your
sunshade needed to be several thousand miles across.
Oh well.

Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Ahem A Rivet's Shot" <ste...@eircom.net> wrote in message

Richard Robinson

Aug 12, 2022, 4:33:05 AM8/12/22
Or enclose the planet in a globe of solar panels with Smart Heat
Transfer Functionality [implausible claims of tm and patent pending]
that radiates low-temperature heat out when there's no high-temperature
heat coming in, while diverting the incoming towards energy-sinks that
the controllers of this thing consider desirable.

This would also, of course, allow for the zapping of anybody or anything
from a great height, according to the taste of said controllers. While
the externalities of this might imply a downside from some points of
view, we should also to consider the POV of those who would consider it
a major selling point.

Oh, and a vast array of superwonderful sensors so the astrophysics
people wouldn't cry, of course. And all sorts of Galactic Lifestyle
Choices like keeping Zhfx, Oenafba and Ny in terrestrial quarantine.

Whirled's gone mad, I seem to be going with it, not sure getting even
instead would be helpful. "Laughing just to keep from crying", the song
said. Blah.

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Kerr-Mudd, John

Aug 12, 2022, 4:34:12 AM8/12/22
A simple ice-age is all you need.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Richard Robinson

Aug 12, 2022, 4:40:00 AM8/12/22
A hell of a wait, and then 3 come along in a bunch ?

nev young

Aug 12, 2022, 5:18:39 AM8/12/22
On 11/08/2022 17:14, Tone wrote:
> Obviously the answer to excess heat is to shade off the sun.
>
> The only effective way to do that would be to create clouds in the right
> places. So, while we're at it we might as well create rain clouds, as
> our reservoirs are getting low.

Get the electronic spiders that live in the web to build it.
They're already in the cloud.

--
Nev
It causes me a great deal of regret and remorse

Richard Robinson

Aug 12, 2022, 5:26:01 AM8/12/22
nev young said:
> On 11/08/2022 17:14, Tone wrote:
>> Obviously the answer to excess heat is to shade off the sun.
>>
>> The only effective way to do that would be to create clouds in the right
>> places. So, while we're at it we might as well create rain clouds, as
>> our reservoirs are getting low.
>>
> Get the electronic spiders that live in the web to build it.
> They're already in the cloud.

Chorus:
We all live in a virtuality,
A virtuality,
A virtuality

nev young

Aug 12, 2022, 5:29:46 AM8/12/22
On 12/08/2022 10:26, Richard Robinson wrote:
> nev young said:
>> On 11/08/2022 17:14, Tone wrote:
>>> Obviously the answer to excess heat is to shade off the sun.
>>>
>>> The only effective way to do that would be to create clouds in the right
>>> places. So, while we're at it we might as well create rain clouds, as
>>> our reservoirs are getting low.
>>>
>> Get the electronic spiders that live in the web to build it.
>> They're already in the cloud.
>
> Chorus:
> We all live in a virtuality,
> A virtuality,
> A virtuality

1,$s/live/exist/g

If we're virtual are we alive?

Richard Robinson

Aug 12, 2022, 5:46:32 AM8/12/22
nev young said:
> On 12/08/2022 10:26, Richard Robinson wrote:
>> nev young said:

>>> Get the electronic spiders that live in the web to build it.
>>> They're already in the cloud.
>>
>> Chorus:
>> We all live in a virtuality,
>> A virtuality,
>> A virtuality
>>

> 1,$s/live/exist/g
>
> If we're virtual are we alive?

A very long time ago, in this 'ere very same newsgroup, I mentioned a
Stanislaw Lem short story [1] [2] about a pooter environment inhabited
by virtual entities capable of artificially intelligent conversations,
which were being monitored and transcribed by the designer of the
experiment.

They were doing theological speculation, argument and general
intellectual mayhem around the possible existence of an all-powerful
creator of the universe, and the possible attitudes of such a
hypothetical being towards themselves, its hypothetical creations.

The researcher's write-up remarked that this was extraordinarily
fascinating stuff, and what a shame that funding constraints were going
to have to force him to pull the plug on it very shortly.

There's no telling where you might end up once you start going meta.

[1] long time. I remember Geraldine remarking that her kid mght be
interested to read it

[2] not the one in my .sig

Tim+

Aug 12, 2022, 2:33:25 PM8/12/22
Ahem A Rivet's Shot <ste...@eircom.net> wrote:

> Making the ocean surface reflective would probably work better, it
> might have other less desirable effects though.

Bubble bath. Lots of it.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Aug 12, 2022, 3:30:03 PM8/12/22
On 12 Aug 2022 18:33:22 GMT
Tim+ <tim.d...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ahem A Rivet's Shot <ste...@eircom.net> wrote:
> >
> > Making the ocean surface reflective would probably work better,
> > it might have other less desirable effects though.
> >

> Bubble bath. Lots of it.

<mode 5yo girl>With glitter

RustyHinge

Aug 12, 2022, 5:12:27 PM8/12/22
On 12/08/2022 20:16, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On 12 Aug 2022 18:33:22 GMT
> Tim+ <tim.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Ahem A Rivet's Shot <ste...@eircom.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Making the ocean surface reflective would probably work better,
>>> it might have other less desirable effects though.
>>>

>> Bubble bath. Lots of it.
>
> <mode 5yo girl>With glitter

<mode=pensioner with flatulence>

--