FAQ for uk.rec.sheds, part 1 of 8

A Plantigrade Omnivore

Nov 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/8/99

FAQ for newsgroup uk.rec.sheds, version 2&2/7th 1999-11-08 (roughly)
============================== Part 1 of 8 : Introductory notes
(You'll want a good old-fashioned fixed-width font for the change bars)
{ except there aren't any changes except for this one, this time }
[ For general information on Usenet newsgroups ]
[ and etiquette, consult http://www.usenet.org.uk/ ]

This is the initial charter for the newsgroup uk.rec.sheds
as issued in the newgroup message.

uk.rec.sheds Sheds: culture, contents, usage

Charter:
The group is for discussions relating to sheds and their near
equivalents (eg properly arranged cellars), their use, their
contents, and the culture of shedding. While shedding has been,
in the past, a primarily male pursuit we cannot deny that both
sexes manifest aspects of both genders to varying degrees, so
everybody is welcome in uk.rec.sheds

No binaries; Advertising of sheds only.

"When?"
uk.rec.sheds was created shortly after May 8th 96 (when the vote passed)
It all started some time before that when some threads on the subject of
shedding in soc.culture.british led The Master JD to post a "faquette"
and, later, myself to post a joke RFD for the newsgroup. This was
picked up by The Guardian's Jackdaw column, and that recognition spurred
me (I'm Dave Budd) on to do a real RFD and a subsequent CFV. Eventually
the vote came in at 60 for, 25 against, and 1 abstention.

"What?"
This newsgroup is about sheds: those usually small and usually wooden
structures usually found in the garden which usually house a cornucopia
of usually useless items, and various related structures and spaces.
It's not about houses for railway engines, pop groups with silly names,
or slang uses of 'shed' which include a derogatory term for vehicles,
excessive boozing, and something sexual which we prefer not to enquire
into.
Conversation about sheds themselves is actually quite rare: the
newsgroup is a meeting place for shedders wherein they may share
information which will further the art of shedding. As shedding quite
often appears - to the outsider - to be 'doing nothing much', so too the
exchanges in the newsgroup may appear to make little, if any, sense.
To the initiate, of course, every character typed simply oozes with
esoteric significance.

The true secret of happiness was to be busy with unimportant things.
This is a quote from J B Priestley (probably)

Here's the rationale that was posted with the proposed charter
in the CFV:

The shed, with its contents and use, is a major archetype within
the male psyche; the exigencies of modern life are, however,
gradually eroding the typical male's knowledge of the joys of
shedding. This may well be contributing to the breakdown of
modern society that we see around us every day.
Heretofore there has been no suitable forum on Usenet where
shedders can gather to pursue the furtherance of shedding.
This newsgroup provides such a place, and will hopefully attract
many of the unshedded into the hobby. A prototype FAQ already
exists (many thanks to Jeff Drabble) and this has been posted on
soc.culture.british. Though sheds appear throughout the English
speaking world it is felt that Britain is their cultural home and
that the uk hierarchy is therefore correct for this newsgroup.
The popularity of the recent shed-threads on s.c.b. have amply
demonstrated that sufficient volume exists for a newsgroup.

"How?"
One keyword here is "whimsy" - not Wimsey, who's a character in a book,
or mimsy, which is a state borogroves get into. A dash of surrealism
adds a little je ne sais quoi, and you may also detect a hint of gentle
nostalgia for the days when brown ale was still widely popular and a
piece of 2x4 wasn't actually 50x100mm.

"Who?"
We are shedizens (combining citizen, denizen, zen, shed); some of us
rise to the rank of Sheddi Knight (usually by accident). Thanks to
Paul Beardow for first coining the term Sheddi Knight: you can find
his original 'Return of the Sheddi' posts featuring Hamm Sarnie,
Luke Warmlager, Old Holbun Karbuti, 3BA and WD40 here :-
http://freespace.virgin.net/p.beardow/spoof.htm
Hang around the newsgroup for a while and you'll notice several
frequent posters, each with their own brand of vaguely roguish charm,
but especially 'The Master JD', aka Jeff Drabble, who (despite being
stuck in New Zealand) has an inimitable prose style which set the tone
for the newsgroup.

John Whitham

Nov 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/15/99
A Plantigrade Omnivore <1999110...@mcc.ac.uk01111999> wrote in message

>an inimitable prose style which set the tone
>for the newsgroup.

Been meaning to ask for ages, isn't the above an oxymoron?

A Plantigrade Omnivore

Nov 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/16/99
John Whitham wrote:

> A Plantigrade Omnivore <1999110...@mcc.ac.uk01111999> wrote in message
> >
> >an inimitable prose style which set the tone
> >for the newsgroup.
>
> Been meaning to ask for ages, isn't the above an oxymoron?

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
take it as a suggestion that he inspired us all to develop an inimitable
style each. or that we aspire to his style but can never attain it.
or....

Sylvia

Nov 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/16/99

John Whitham <jwhi...@clara.net> wrote in message

> A Plantigrade Omnivore <1999110...@mcc.ac.uk01111999> wrote in message
> >
> >an inimitable prose style which set the tone
> >for the newsgroup.
>
> Been meaning to ask for ages, isn't the above an oxymoron?

Q1. Whats an oxymoron?

Q2. Is a billion a thousand million or a million million?

Q3. What's a trillion?

Just wondrin, thassall.

S.

Jon Thompson

Nov 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/16/99

Sylvia wrote in message ...

>John Whitham <jwhi...@clara.net> wrote in message
>> A Plantigrade Omnivore <1999110...@mcc.ac.uk01111999> wrote in
message

>> >an inimitable prose style which set the tone
>> >for the newsgroup.
>>
>> Been meaning to ask for ages, isn't the above an oxymoron?
>>

>Q1. Whats an oxymoron?

Someone who believes spot cream adverts.

>Q2. Is a billion a thousand million or a million million?

Depends on which side of the pond you are.

>Q3. What's a trillion?

Zaphod's girlfriend.

Next!

--
Jon "Terwur@" Thompson.

"Spike lives in his head. He actually LIVES in his head..."

Brian Skinner

Nov 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/16/99
"Jon Thompson" <jon.th...@ten.aralc> wrote:

> Sylvia wrote in message ...
> >
> >John Whitham <jwhi...@clara.net> wrote in message
> >> A Plantigrade Omnivore <1999110...@mcc.ac.uk01111999> wrote in
> message

> >> Been meaning to ask for ages, isn't the above an oxymoron?
> >>
> >Q1. Whats an oxymoron?
>
> Someone who believes spot cream adverts.

I thought it meant a silly cow.

--
Brian

Guy King

Nov 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/16/99
The message <=lAxOOTlkgUD+6...@4ax.com>
from Brian Skinner <br...@brisk.demon.co.uk> contains these words:

> > >Q1. Whats an oxymoron?
> >
> > Someone who believes spot cream adverts.

> I thought it meant a silly cow.

Nah, that's a peroxymoron.
--
| |\_/|
Guy King |~~(o o) What better rôle models

Sylvia

Nov 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/16/99

Jon Thompson <jon.th...@ten.aralc> wrote in message

> Sylvia wrote in message ...
> >
> >John Whitham <jwhi...@clara.net> wrote in message
> >> A Plantigrade Omnivore <1999110...@mcc.ac.uk01111999> wrote in
> message

> >> Been meaning to ask for ages, isn't the above an oxymoron?
> >>

> >Q1. Whats an oxymoron?
> >

> Someone who believes spot cream adverts.

Oh. A peach faced prune.

> >Q2. Is a billion a thousand million or a million million?
> >

> Depends on which side of the pond you are.

Yebbut John Hurt said larst nite that the yoonivers was 12 billion years
old. Was he talkin to *us* or *them*?

> >Q3. What's a trillion?
> >

> Zaphod's girlfriend.
>
> Next!

Q.42 Whats the meaning of life, the yoonivers and evryfing?

S.

Carl .LHS. Williams

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99
In article <ZGbY3.1818$C4.90198@news1-hme0>, Sylvia <tre...@cwcom.net> wrote:

>John Whitham <jwhi...@clara.net> wrote in message
>> A Plantigrade Omnivore <1999110...@mcc.ac.uk01111999> wrote in message
>> >
>> >an inimitable prose style which set the tone
>> >for the newsgroup.
>>
>> Been meaning to ask for ages, isn't the above an oxymoron?
>>

>Q1. Whats an oxymoron?

Summat slef-contradictory

>Q2. Is a billion a thousand million or a million million?

yes.

>Q3. What's a trillion?

even bigger.

--
,-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| Carl Williams, e-mail to <carl at : MAG #106893 : Yon Net |

Jon Thompson

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99

Sylvia wrote in message ...

>Q.42 Whats the meaning of life, the yoonivers and evryfing?

Ah so. Answer rise in clestion, glasshopper.

Sylvia

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99

> Sylvia wrote in message ...
> >

> >Q.42 Whats the meaning of life, the yoonivers and evryfing?
>

> Ah so. Answer rise in clestion, glasshopper.

!

Can I go and burn me arms now?

S.

Jon Thompson

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99

Sylvia wrote in message <7BzY3.1716$lZ.86888@news2-hme0>...

Orl right...but be careful!

(Is that one of they oxymorons?)

Guy King

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99
The message <36DY3.1817$XP1....@nnrp4.clara.net>
from "Jon Thompson" <jon.th...@ten.aralc> contains these words:

> Orl right...but be careful!

> (Is that one of they oxymorons?)

Nah.Could be what my obff calls and "Elephant Question" which stems
from when he was running Safaris and someone said "Andy, is that an elephant?"

Sylvia

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99

> Sylvia wrote in message <7BzY3.1716$lZ.86888@news2-hme0>...
> >
> >Jon Thompson <jon.th...@ten.aralc> wrote in message

> >> Ah so. Answer rise in clestion, glasshopper.
> >
> >!
> >
> >Can I go and burn me arms now?
> >

> Orl right...but be careful!
>
> (Is that one of they oxymorons?)

No. I'm afraid it's a feckin brazier.

(Down, Snipe)

S.

Lane Gray, Czar Castic

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99

Sylvia wrote:
>Q2. Is a billion a thousand million or a million million?

A billion is a thousand million

>Q3. What's a trillion?

million million

--
Lane Gray, dobroist(http://members.aol.com/e9c6zum/shesgone.wav), mead
maker, steel picker, Dagorhirim, husband, soon-to-be-ex-procrastinator.

Andrew Pattle

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
At 06:26:16 on Thu, 18 Nov 1999,

Lane Gray, Czar Castic said:

>Sylvia wrote:
>>Q2. Is a billion a thousand million or a million million?
>
>A billion is a thousand million

Arbut. you're in Merika. A proper *British* billion is a million
million [1,000,000,000,000]

I guvax that a farsand million should be called a milliard [2]

>>Q3. What's a trillion?
>
>million million

Likewise, in the UK a trillion is a million million million

[1,000,000,000,000] except to accountants - who don't know any better

[2] not to be confuzzled wiv the milliyard, wot would be 36 thou.
--
Andrew Pattle

Lane Gray, Czar Castic

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99

Andrew Pattle wrote in message ...

>At 06:26:16 on Thu, 18 Nov 1999,
>Lane Gray, Czar Castic said:
>>
>>Sylvia wrote:
>>>Q2. Is a billion a thousand million or a million million?
>>A billion is a thousand million
>Arbut. you're in Merika. A proper *British* billion is a million
>million [1,000,000,000,000]
>I guvax that a farsand million should be called a milliard [2]
>>>Q3. What's a trillion?
>>>million million
>Likewise, in the UK a trillion is a million million million
>[1,000,000,000,000] except to accountants - who don't know any better

Which, I suppose, accounts for the practice (now sadly abandoned) of the BBC
WorldService of pronouncing "billion" as "thousand million," which I always
thought much better at conveying just how much zbarl they were fcraqvat.

Guy King

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
The message <SoOY3.1862$lZ.94666@news2-hme0>
from "Sylvia" <tre...@cwcom.net> contains these words:

> > Orl right...but be careful!
> >
> > (Is that one of they oxymorons?)

> No. I'm afraid it's a feckin brazier.

Nah, a brassier, shirley. One of them things workmen warm their hands on.

Bob Goddard

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
Lane Gray, Czar Castic rolled over, had a good scratch, belched loudly,
then mumbled...

>Sylvia wrote:
>>Q2. Is a billion a thousand million or a million million?
>
>A billion is a thousand million
>
>>Q3. What's a trillion?
>
>million million

It's quite simple really. A billion round these parts used to be a
million^2 (hence the bi- root, from Latin or summat). So a trillion was
a million^3 and so-on. So you would know straight away that an octillion
was a million^8. Then the Yanks came along and trampled all over our
language so now I don't have a feck what an octillion is, and I bet they
don't know either, not without counting on their fingers.

Harumph.

(Bob
--
>---B---------| International Goatkeepers Society |---NB - "News"--->
Goddard | membership number 001855 | may be updated
>---b---------| |--occasionally--->
http://www.godwit.demon.co.uk/sheds.html

Helen Deborah Vecht

Nov 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/19/99
The message <199911181...@zetnet.co.uk>
from Guy King <guy....@zetnet.co.uk> contains these words:

> The message <SoOY3.1862$lZ.94666@news2-hme0>
> from "Sylvia" <tre...@cwcom.net> contains these words:

> > > Orl right...but be careful!
> > >
> > > (Is that one of they oxymorons?)

> > No. I'm afraid it's a feckin brazier.

> Nah, a brassier, shirley. One of them things workmen warm their hands on.

nah, it's a Brasserie of a Serapu place to eat innit?
--
Helen D. Vecht
helen...@zetnet.co.uk

Somewhere around North-West London

Lane Gray, Czar Castic

Nov 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/19/99

Bob Goddard wrote in message ...

>>>Q2. Is a billion a thousand million or a million million?
>>
>>A billion is a thousand million
>>
>>>Q3. What's a trillion?
>>
>>million million
>>

>It's quite simple really. A billion round these parts used to be a
>million^2 (hence the bi- root, from Latin or summat). So a trillion was
>a million^3 and so-on. So you would know straight away that an octillion
>was a million^8. Then the Yanks came along and trampled all over our
>language so now I don't have a feck what an octillion is, and I bet they
>don't know either, not without counting on their fingers.
>
>Harumph.
Harumph, indeed!
Thousand, Million, Billion,Trillion, Quadrillion, Quintillion,
Sextillion,Septillion, Octillion.
Each with an increase of another 3 powers of ten. Quite simple, really.

Sylvia

Nov 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/19/99

Bob Goddard <new...@godwit.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> Lane Gray, Czar Castic rolled over, had a good scratch, belched loudly,
> then mumbled...
> >
> >Sylvia wrote:
> >>Q2. Is a billion a thousand million or a million million?
> >
> >A billion is a thousand million
> >
> >>Q3. What's a trillion?
> >
> >million million
> >

> It's quite simple really. A billion round these parts used to be a
> million^2 (hence the bi- root, from Latin or summat). So a trillion was
> a million^3 and so-on. So you would know straight away that an octillion
> was a million^8. Then the Yanks came along and trampled all over our
> language so now I don't have a feck what an octillion is, and I bet they
> don't know either, not without counting on their fingers.
>
> Harumph.

Yeah. Innit. My sentinels ezzackly.

Doan no where yer are these days. Moan.

Sylvia
(Who does like to get things *straight*)

Helen Deborah Vecht

Nov 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/19/99
The message <DdcZ3.1011$oN6....@newsfeed.slurp.net>
from "Lane Gray, Czar Castic" <E9c6z...@mwis.net> contains these words:

> >Harumph.
> Harumph, indeed!
> Thousand, Million, Billion,Trillion, Quadrillion, Quintillion,
> Sextillion,Septillion, Octillion.
> Each with an increase of another 3 powers of ten. Quite simple, really.

Not reelly. On this side of the pond, it refers to another 6 powers of ten.

c o jones

Nov 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/19/99

Helen Deborah Vecht <helen...@zetnet.co.uk> wrote in message

> The message <DdcZ3.1011$oN6....@newsfeed.slurp.net>
> from "Lane Gray, Czar Castic" <E9c6z...@mwis.net> contains these
words:

> > >Harumph.
> > Harumph, indeed!
> > Thousand, Million, Billion,Trillion, Quadrillion, Quintillion,
> > Sextillion,Septillion, Octillion.
> > Each with an increase of another 3 powers of ten. Quite simple, really.
>
> Not reelly. On this side of the pond, it refers to another 6 powers of
ten.

They're still powers of 10 dammit. Shouldn't they be powers of 12, 14 or
other sheddy number ?

coj

Bob Goddard

Nov 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/19/99
Lane Gray, Czar Castic rolled over, had a good scratch, belched loudly,
then mumbled...

>>It's quite simple really. A billion round these parts used to be a

>>million^2 (hence the bi- root, from Latin or summat). So a trillion was
>>a million^3 and so-on. So you would know straight away that an octillion
>>was a million^8. Then the Yanks came along and trampled all over our
>>language so now I don't have a feck what an octillion is, and I bet they
>>don't know either, not without counting on their fingers.
>>

>>Harumph.
>Harumph, indeed!
>Thousand, Million, Billion,Trillion, Quadrillion, Quintillion,
>Sextillion,Septillion, Octillion.
>Each with an increase of another 3 powers of ten. Quite simple, really.

So...

million = 10^6
billion (bi=2) = 10^9
trillion (tri=3) = 10^12
quadrillion (quad=4) = 10^15
quintillion (quin=5) = 10^18
sextillion (sex=6) = 10^21
septillion (sept=7) = 10^24
octillion (oct=8) = 10^27

Now... why the feck use words based on Latin roots meaning 2,3,4,5,6,7,8
when the variable involved goes 9,12,15,18,21,24,27?

And yes. I did have to count on my fingers. And probably got it wrong,
too.

The whole point of using words derived from Latin is that you can figure
out what the words mean even if you've never seen them before. If you're
going to use words to mean something different from what they were
designed to mean then you're going to get into all sorts of problems. I
mean, if someone were to get billions mixed up with hundreds of
thousands, you could easily get your calculations wrong and crash a
spaceship into Mars or summat. Speaking purely hypothetically of
course...

Mel Rimmer

Nov 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/19/99
In article <fdOsscA3...@godwit.demon.co.uk>, Bob Goddard
<new...@godwit.demon.co.uk> writes

>It's quite simple really. A billion round these parts used to be a
>million^2 (hence the bi- root, from Latin or summat). So a trillion was
>a million^3 and so-on. So you would know straight away that an octillion
>was a million^8. Then the Yanks came along and trampled all over our
>language so now I don't have a feck what an octillion is, and I bet they
>don't know either, not without counting on their fingers.

Forget it. Just use standard notation for everything, as in "Thanks *
10^6" and so on.
--
Mel Rimmer

Lane Gray, Czar Castic

Nov 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/20/99

Bob Goddard wrote in message ...
>Lane Gray, Czar Castic rolled over, had a good scratch, belched loudly,
>then mumbled...
>
>>>It's quite simple really. A billion round these parts used to be a
>>>million^2 (hence the bi- root, from Latin or summat). So a trillion was
>>>a million^3 and so-on. So you would know straight away that an octillion
>>>was a million^8. Then the Yanks came along and trampled all over our
>>>language so now I don't have a feck what an octillion is, and I bet they
>>>don't know either, not without counting on their fingers.

OK, but I suspect it started (no proof, just a hunch, and it sounds good) when
the highest numbers used by normal folks were thousands. The M in million stood
for many. Then came the Billion (too many) then they had to keep going when
they realised they could keep going. That is when they developed the current
continuation.

Bob Goddard

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99
Lane Gray, Czar Castic rolled over, had a good scratch, belched loudly,
then mumbled...

>>The whole point of using words derived from Latin is that you can figure
>>out what the words mean even if you've never seen them before. If you're
>>going to use words to mean something different from what they were
>>designed to mean then you're going to get into all sorts of problems. I
>>mean, if someone were to get billions mixed up with hundreds of
>>thousands, you could easily get your calculations wrong and crash a
>>spaceship into Mars or summat. Speaking purely hypothetically of
>>course...
>
>OK, but I suspect it started (no proof, just a hunch, and it sounds good) when
>the highest numbers used by normal folks were thousands. The M in million stood
>for many. Then came the Billion (too many) then they had to keep going when
>they realised they could keep going. That is when they developed the current
>continuation.

Not really. The problem with the Yanks' view of etymology is they don't
understand "their" language has been around much longer than they have
and stems from even older languages. In the UK we're used to this
situation and know how to handle it. The M in million stood for the
Latin "mille" (=1,000). The "-ilione" bit was added on in Old Italian,
meaning "more than". The WOCABS turned it into "milion" in Middle
French. This became "milioun" in Middle English (which was spoken in
England between about 1150 A.D. and 1500 A.D.) and eventually "million"
in modern English. To count up to 999,999 didn't need any word beyond
"thousand" to express it - e.g. "nine thousand nine hundred and ninety-
nine". The next number, 1,000,000 needs a new word to avoid calling it
"a thousand thousand" (which rapidly gets out of hand - e.g. nine
thousand nine hundred and ninety nine thousand nine hundred and ninety-
nine). - And to maintain the logic of the system under which you use
tens after you've used all the units, hundreds when you've used all the
tens and so-on. The problem doesn't arise again until you get to
999,999,999 at which point it is logical to use the word billion for the
next number. Unfortunately the US of A then came along and decided that
in spite of the logic behind this system and the fact that it was good
enough for the most of rest of the world (and the fact that "a thousand
million" is a perfectly usable construction) it would use the word
billion to mean 1,000,000,000 instead of 1,000,000,000,000.

This is the equivalent of counting in base 2 on your fingers (where a
new finger is brought into play with each new order of magnitude) and
suddenly deciding that at an arbitrary point in the system you will
bring two new fingers into play with each change of magnitude instead of
one. It doesn't make sense, it means you run out of fingers /much/
earlier in the count and it makes mistakes much more likely. The same
thing applies to the decimal system except you run out of words rather
than fingers. In the original decimal system, you can look at the word
octillion, and know instantly that it means 1,000,000^8. As you've said
yourself, all that can be said of the US octillion is that it's a US
septillion^3. In order to understand this, you need to know that a US
septillion is a US sextillion^3... and so-on all the way back to a US
billion, which is the first point you can realistically relate it to
lesser values - a thousand million. This is downright lunacy when the
system which resolves all these problems has already existed for
hundreds of years not only in umpteen other languages but also in the
one which you claim you are using. Why break something that doesn't need
svkvat?

Guy King

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99
The message <B0u7mYA5...@godwit.demon.co.uk>
from Bob Goddard <new...@godwit.demon.co.uk> contains these words:

> Why break something that doesn't need svkvat?

For the same reason that people insist on writing arj tunes for may
favourite old hymns. Just plain arrogant.

Brian Skinner

Nov 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/22/99
Guy King <guy....@zetnet.co.uk> wrote:

> For the same reason that people insist on writing arj tunes for may
> favourite old hymns. Just plain arrogant.

Couldn't agree more. Even though I'm an atheist, it still makes me
very cross when some splendid old tune that we used to sing in
assembly is replaced by a wishy-washy dirge.

--
Brian

Guy King

Nov 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/22/99
The message <2shi3ss1c5isa8ptr...@4ax.com>

from Brian Skinner <br...@brisk.demon.co.uk> contains these words:

> Couldn't agree more. Even though I'm an atheist, it still makes me
> very cross when some splendid old tune that we used to sing in
> assembly is replaced by a wishy-washy dirge.

Ah, good, another hymn-loving atheist. Is there a word for us?

Helen Deborah Vecht

Nov 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/22/99
The message <199911221...@zetnet.co.uk>

from Guy King <guy....@zetnet.co.uk> contains these words:

> The message <2shi3ss1c5isa8ptr...@4ax.com>
> from Brian Skinner <br...@brisk.demon.co.uk> contains these words:

> > Couldn't agree more. Even though I'm an atheist, it still makes me
> > very cross when some splendid old tune that we used to sing in
> > assembly is replaced by a wishy-washy dirge.

> Ah, good, another hymn-loving atheist. Is there a word for us?

Singers?

Helen

Another hymn-loving atheist. (Jewish by birth, an excellent excuse to
cancel Puevfgznf this year)

John Whitham

Nov 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/23/99
Carl .LHS. Williams wrote in message <80ste2$f...@yon-net.demon.co.uk>...

>In article <ZGbY3.1818$C4.90198@news1-hme0>, Sylvia <tre...@cwcom.net>
wrote:

>>Q2. Is a billion a thousand million or a million million?
>
>yes.

And a megabyte of data on on my hard drive is 1024 x 1024, whereas a
megabyte of free web space on an ISP's server is 1024 x 1000.

John Whitham

Nov 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/23/99
A Plantigrade Omnivore wrote:

>John Whitham wrote:
>>
>> A Plantigrade Omnivore <1999110...@mcc.ac.uk01111999> wrote in
message

>> >an inimitable prose style which set the tone
>> >for the newsgroup.
>>
>> Been meaning to ask for ages, isn't the above an oxymoron?
>
>mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
>take it as a suggestion that he inspired us all to develop an inimitable
>style each. or that we aspire to his style but can never attain it.
>or....

Thought so.

Carl .LHS. Williams

Nov 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/23/99
In article <eUk_3.1424$7a.3...@nnrp3.clara.net>,

And my arj 17GB hard drive is sixteen thousand megabytes. And probably
still formattin'. Should never have hfrq the -c option.

--
,-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| Carl Williams, e-mail to <carl at : MAG #106893 : Yon Net |
| yon-net dot demon dot co dot uk> : JBC : Powered by TQT |
`A journey of a thousand miles must begin with three cups of strong coffee'

bazjello

Nov 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/23/99
On Mon, 22 Nov 1999 23:02:32 GMT Helen Deborah Vecht
<helen...@zetnet.co.uk> wrote:
> The message <199911221...@zetnet.co.uk>
> from Guy King <guy....@zetnet.co.uk> contains these words:
>

> > The message <2shi3ss1c5isa8ptr...@4ax.com>
> > from Brian Skinner <br...@brisk.demon.co.uk> contains these words:
>

> > > Couldn't agree more. Even though I'm an atheist, it still makes me
> > > very cross when some splendid old tune that we used to sing in
> > > assembly is replaced by a wishy-washy dirge.
>
> > Ah, good, another hymn-loving atheist. Is there a word for us?
>
> Singers?
>
> Helen
>
> Another hymn-loving atheist. (Jewish by birth, an excellent excuse to
> cancel Puevfgznf this year)

I'm one of those too.
Not the Jewish part but the hymn-loving atheist part.
I spect there is a newsgroup for us...

--
Baz...............too busy to keep up lately

--
Free audio & video emails, greeting cards and forums
Talkway - http://www.talkway.com - Talk more ways (sm)

Andrew Pattle

Nov 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/23/99
At 23:02:32 on Mon, 22 Nov 1999,

Helen Deborah Vecht said:
>The message <199911221...@zetnet.co.uk>
> from Guy King <guy....@zetnet.co.uk> contains these words:
>

>> The message <2shi3ss1c5isa8ptr...@4ax.com>
>> from Brian Skinner <br...@brisk.demon.co.uk> contains these words:
>

>> > Couldn't agree more. Even though I'm an atheist, it still makes me
>> > very cross when some splendid old tune that we used to sing in
>> > assembly is replaced by a wishy-washy dirge.
>
>> Ah, good, another hymn-loving atheist. Is there a word for us?
>
>Singers?

S'right. After all there's nuffink odd about being a hymn loving
atheist is there? It's just singing, innit?

You can sing about gods wivvout ack shirley *bleeving* in em, same as
you can sing "I'm the man who broke the bank at Monte Carlo" [1] when
you've never even been there.

[1] or "The bloke who came home broke from Cromer bingo" for all Kipper
fans.
--
Andrew Pattle

A Plantigrade Omnivore

Nov 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/23/99
Mel Rimmer wrote:

> In article <fdOsscA3...@godwit.demon.co.uk>, Bob Goddard
> <new...@godwit.demon.co.uk> writes
> >It's quite simple really. A billion round these parts used to be a
> >million^2 (hence the bi- root, from Latin or summat). So a trillion was
> >a million^3 and so-on. So you would know straight away that an octillion
> >was a million^8. Then the Yanks came along and trampled all over our
> >language so now I don't have a feck what an octillion is, and I bet they
> >don't know either, not without counting on their fingers.
>
> Forget it. Just use standard notation for everything, as in "Thanks *
> 10^6" and so on.
> --
> Mel Rimmer

handdi sheddi approximations:
2*7^2 approx= 100
3*7^3 approx= 1000
4*7^4 approx= 10000
1/4*7^9 approx=1000000
These are /very/ approximate, though.

Andrew Pattle

Nov 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/23/99
At 14:41:57 on Tue, 23 Nov 1999,

Approximate = close to
very approximate = very close to

OK. so it's pedantic, but I read it in some grammar book ages ago and
never had a suitable chance to quote it before now.
--
Andrew Pattle

Jon Thompson

Nov 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/23/99

Brian Skinner wrote in message
<2shi3ss1c5isa8ptr...@4ax.com>...

>Guy King <guy....@zetnet.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> For the same reason that people insist on writing arj tunes for may
>> favourite old hymns. Just plain arrogant.
>
>Couldn't agree more. Even though I'm an atheist, it still makes me
>very cross when some splendid old tune that we used to sing in
>assembly is replaced by a wishy-washy dirge.

I like All Fings Brite and Byootiful cos it's a nice happy choon, but NOT
when there's some happy clappers murderin' it.

And I like I Vou To Thee My Country cos it's a big phat stonker. Ditto

Oh, and In The Bleak Mid Winter on account of unforgetting me about the
proper winters we had as kids. Water like a stone and all that. Sigh.

All strangely compatible wiv me rampant atheism.

--
Jon "Terwur@" Thompson.

"Spike lives in his head. He actually LIVES in his head..."

Sue

Nov 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/23/99
In article <4EB_3.1788$gG2....@nnrp4.clara.net>, Jon Thompson
<jon.th...@ten.aralc> writes

>Oh, and In The Bleak Mid Winter on account of unforgetting me about the
>proper winters we had as kids. Water like a stone and all that. Sigh.
>
>All strangely compatible wiv me rampant atheism.

Oops, IRTA 'rampant rheumatism' and thought Shirley! Jon needs some of
those leg-warmers too.

Anyway, seriously, my favourite hymn is to the tune of 'Ebenezer' .
Can't erzrore all the words but it is very sombre and starts

Once to every man and nation
Comes the moment to decide

--
Sue

Guy King

Nov 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/23/99
The message <4EB_3.1788$gG2....@nnrp4.clara.net>
from "Jon Thompson" <jon.th...@ten.aralc> contains these words:

> And I like I Vou To Thee My Country cos it's a big phat stonker. Ditto

Snot a nymn, issa bit of Hostel's Plarnits.

Thomas Rushton

Nov 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/23/99

Helen Deborah Vecht <helen...@zetnet.co.uk> wrote:
> The message <199911221...@zetnet.co.uk>
> from Guy King <guy....@zetnet.co.uk> contains these words:
>

> > The message <2shi3ss1c5isa8ptr...@4ax.com>
> > from Brian Skinner <br...@brisk.demon.co.uk> contains these words:
>

> > > Couldn't agree more. Even though I'm an atheist, it still makes me
> > > very cross when some splendid old tune that we used to sing in
> > > assembly is replaced by a wishy-washy dirge.
>
> > Ah, good, another hymn-loving atheist. Is there a word for us?
>
> Singers?

Yep. Sounds about right ter me, being one 'n all...

--
Thomas Rushton
Leeds, UK

David Reid

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/24/99
Andrew Pattle's best pigeon dodged hawks and farmer's guns to bring me
the following:

That last one is not very approximate at all then.

--
David Reid Da...@davita.demon.co.uk http://www.davita.demon.co.uk
INSTRUCTIONS FOR USE

c o jones

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/24/99

<xenop...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 23 Nov 1999 19:09:52 GMT, "Jon Thompson"
> <jon.th...@ten.aralc> wandered to the table and absently arranged
> the Scrabble tiles to spell out -

> >Brian Skinner wrote in message
> ><2shi3ss1c5isa8ptr...@4ax.com>...

> >>Couldn't agree more. Even though I'm an atheist, it still makes me
> >>very cross when some splendid old tune that we used to sing in
> >>assembly is replaced by a wishy-washy dirge.
> >>

> >I like All Fings Brite and Byootiful cos it's a nice happy choon, but NOT
> >when there's some happy clappers murderin' it.
>
> I chose that for my wedding. The vicar tried to talk me out of it,
> but I insisted and all the congregation looooooooooved it. It was the
> only hymn they knew out of all the hymns we had.

I don't unferget having a nym in my regisisiterty orifice wedding

coj

Jon Thompson

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/24/99

Guy King wrote in message <199911232...@zetnet.co.uk>...

>The message <4EB_3.1788$gG2....@nnrp4.clara.net>
> from "Jon Thompson" <jon.th...@ten.aralc> contains these words:
>

>> And I like I Vou To Thee My Country cos it's a big phat stonker. Ditto
>
>Snot a nymn, issa bit of Hostel's Plarnits.

Oh bugger. You'm right, innit. Still a fumpin' guf choon though.

Rosie Cox

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/24/99
In article <s96m3s88ml8ehqn1l...@4ax.com>,
xenop...@hotmail.com writes

>>I like All Fings Brite and Byootiful cos it's a nice happy choon, but NOT
>>when there's some happy clappers murderin' it.
>
>I chose that for my wedding. The vicar tried to talk me out of it,
>but I insisted and all the congregation looooooooooved it. It was the
>only hymn they knew out of all the hymns we had.

I wanted 'Fight The Good Fight' but the minister chappie wouldn't let
me. Ma & Pa wanted it when they got married, but their minister chappie
wouldn't let them either. Said it wasn't appropriate. It's only the
first line or two that might give people the wrong idea....
--
Rosie Cox
I can only please one person a day. Today isn't your day and tomorrow doesn't

Thomas Rushton

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/24/99

<xenop...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Nov 1999 06:49:48 -0000, "c o jones"
> <please_no_spa...@my-deja.com.no.spam> wandered to the

> table and absently arranged the Scrabble tiles to spell out -
> >
> >I don't unferget having a nym in my regisisiterty orifice wedding
>
> Yew prolly didden have one, although you can do whatcher like
> nowadays, carn't yer. In my day, registry-office weddings were rather
> grim affairs.

Acksherly, you can't do what you like. Relijis stuff is not allowed.

My cuzzin wot got hitched larst summer had a nakordion playing at his
registry-office wedding. Ver' nice, too.

Jon Thompson

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/24/99

Rosie Cox wrote in message ...

>In article <s96m3s88ml8ehqn1l...@4ax.com>,
>xenop...@hotmail.com writes
>>>
>>>I like All Fings Brite and Byootiful cos it's a nice happy choon, but NOT
>>>when there's some happy clappers murderin' it.
>>
>>I chose that for my wedding. The vicar tried to talk me out of it,
>>but I insisted and all the congregation looooooooooved it. It was the
>>only hymn they knew out of all the hymns we had.
>>
>I wanted 'Fight The Good Fight' but the minister chappie wouldn't let
>me. Ma & Pa wanted it when they got married, but their minister chappie
>wouldn't let them either. Said it wasn't appropriate. It's only the
>first line or two that might give people the wrong idea....

Yebut, it's *your* weddin'. You should have threatened to take your business
elsewhere, innit.

Bob Goddard

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/24/99
bazjello rolled over, had a good scratch, belched loudly, then
mumbled...

>I'm one of those too.
>Not the Jewish part but the hymn-loving atheist part.
>I spect there is a newsgroup for us...

I spose I'm another.

Bob Goddard

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/24/99
Sue rolled over, had a good scratch, belched loudly, then mumbled...

My favourite hymn is Fairport Convention singing John Barleycorn to the
tune of "We plough the fields and scatter..."

Sue

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/24/99
In article <383bf...@katana.legend.co.uk>, Thomas Rushton <ThomasRusht
o...@compuDONTserve.co.uk> writes

>Acksherly, you can't do what you like. Relijis stuff is not allowed.

Causes Registrars no end of problems it does. The Registrar who rents a
room in our yvoenel to do births and deaths remebers someone choosing
"we're go-ing to the cha-pel, and we're going to get..." and worrying
about that. She also remembers a very pregnant lady having chosen
"yummy yummy yummy, I've got lerv in my tummy".

--
Sue

Carl .LHS. Williams

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/24/99
In article <hmun3s0sudkokfkaj...@4ax.com>,
<xenop...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>When our friends got married, I unforget the registrar askin' for 10
>bob halfway through the whole thing. It was a bit like buying a TV
>licence, but rather cheaper.

Prolly better value and less liklihood of lifelong harassment, too -
even if it all goes 'orribly wrong, gettin a divorce is a lot easier
than getting rid of the TVLRO, innit.

Carl .LHS. Williams

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/24/99
In article <fl5o3s0cpv408mmlv...@4ax.com>,
Ron Clark <Ro...@vanb.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>Thomas Rushton wrote to uk.rec.sheds to say this (or some of this),
>and so must be presumed to have been just about sober enough to type
>on Wed, 24 Nov 1999 15:07:22 -0000
>

>>My cuzzin wot got hitched larst summer had a nakordion playing at his
>>registry-office wedding. Ver' nice, too.

Persoomably not religios accordion playing, then?

>I had one of they Registry thingies.

An' me.

>Divorce absolutement on Thurs, rang the RegOff Thurs pm.

Which just goes ter show summink or other, I spose...

>Said 'What about a wedding then ?'
>Woman said 'What you doing tomorrow ?'
>I says 'lbooyd l'el, give us one weekend as a Freman'
>On Monday, picked up the flours at 11.50am and did the
>deed at 12.00 hrs. No 'ims. Got nissed.
>Out for a meal in the evening with the gnu rellies, heat wave ++,
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Not last thurs, then, I take it.

>lbeeidgn hot and yumid, lots of foodies and dinkies and sew to bed.
>Good day out really.

Well, 'tis ter be yoped, innit...

>Whon Key
>Chosen prophet of the undeciphered way.

David Reid

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
Rosie Cox's best pigeon dodged hawks and farmer's guns to bring me the
following:

>I wanted 'Fight The Good Fight' but the minister chappie wouldn't let
>me. Ma & Pa wanted it when they got married, but their minister chappie
>wouldn't let them either. Said it wasn't appropriate. It's only the
>first line or two that might give people the wrong idea....

You got "To Be A Pilgrim" though didn't you? And that's got lines such
as "He'll with a giant fight" and "Hobgoblin nor foul fiend shall him
dispirit" in it innit?

Be careful what you wish for, it might come true.

Rosie Cox

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
In article <2xWVllA3...@davita.demon.co.uk>, David Reid
<da...@davita.demon.co.uk> writes

>>I wanted 'Fight The Good Fight' but the minister chappie wouldn't let
>>me. Ma & Pa wanted it when they got married, but their minister chappie
>>wouldn't let them either. Said it wasn't appropriate. It's only the
>>first line or two that might give people the wrong idea....
>
>You got "To Be A Pilgrim" though didn't you? And that's got lines such
>as "He'll with a giant fight" and "Hobgoblin nor foul fiend shall him
>dispirit" in it innit?

That is ver ver troo. We had a second hymn as well, didn't we? Can't
for the life of me unforget what it was though....

Rosie Cox

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
In article <OsT_3.33$F7....@nnrp3.clara.net>, Jon Thompson
<jon.th...@ten.aralc> writes

>>>I chose that for my wedding. The vicar tried to talk me out of it,
>>>but I insisted and all the congregation looooooooooved it. It was the
>>>only hymn they knew out of all the hymns we had.
>>>
>>I wanted 'Fight The Good Fight' but the minister chappie wouldn't let
>>me. Ma & Pa wanted it when they got married, but their minister chappie
>>wouldn't let them either. Said it wasn't appropriate. It's only the
>>first line or two that might give people the wrong idea....
>

>Yebut, it's *your* weddin'. You should have threatened to take your business
>elsewhere, innit.

I cud 'ave, I sp'ose, but as 2 minister chappies of different
denominations had both said no, I 'spect all the others would have too.
We had 'He Who Would True Valour See', instead and it has a good line
about hobgoblins and foul fiends, so that was ok :-)

C. Dimmick

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
Sue wrote:

> Anyway, seriously, my favourite hymn is to the tune of 'Ebenezer' .
> Can't erzrore all the words but it is very sombre and starts
>
> Once to every man and nation
> Comes the moment to decide

Once to every man and nation

Comes the moment to decide,
In the strife of truth with falsehood,
For the good or evil side;
Some great cause, God's new Messiah,
Off'ring each the bloom or blight,
And the choice goes by for ever
'Twixt that darkness and that light.

Then to side with truth is noble,
When we share her wretched crust,
Ere her cause bring fame and profit
And 'tis prosp'rous to be just;
Then it is the brave man chooses,
While the coward stands aside
Till the multitude make virtue
Of the faith they had denied.

By the light of burning martyrs
Jesus' bleeding feet I track,
Toiling up new Calvaries ever
With the cross that turns not back;
New occasions teach new duties,
Time makes ancient good uncouth;
They must upward still and onward
Who would keep abreast of truth.

Though the cause of evil prosper,
Yet 'tis truth alone is strong;
Though her portion be the scaffold,
And upon the throne be wrong,
Yet that scaffold sways the future,
And, behind the dim unknown,
Standeth God within the shadow
Keeping watch above his own.

James Russell Lowell, 1845

Sorry for the intrusion.
Back to lurk mode.

Charles Wm. Dimmick

Alan H Jones

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
In article <fl5o3s0cpv408mmlv...@4ax.com>, Ron Clark
<Ro...@vanb.freeserve.co.uk> writes

>I had one of they Registry thingies.

So did I, in November, but I can't remember the exact date.

I worked all morning, picked up mother from home, collected wife-to-be
and her aunt and drove into Manchester.

Got married at 12 noon, then went and had lunch at a little restaurant
in Didsbury.

Dropped mother at home; took auntie home, then went to the Lake District
for three days. It was wet and I took me new wife with me, which might
have been a mistake!
--
Alan H Jones Atheist, Angler, Shooter, Cat Lover, Dog Trainer, and proud
member of The Junior Bloody Club and the OETKB Club

David Reid

Nov 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/26/99
Rosie Cox's best pigeon dodged hawks and farmer's guns to bring me the
following:

>That is ver ver troo. We had a second hymn as well, didn't we? Can't
>for the life of me unforget what it was though....

I'm sure you did and I can't remember either. It seems I didn't tripe up
the service sheet so a copy isn't in my Eshed, I think a Hewii did it so
it's probably not in yours either. One of us probably has a paper copy
somewhere though, it'll turn up one day.

... and moses had a dog, and fed it and looked after it, and the dog
thought "Is it not wonderful how Moses looks after me: it shows how good
he is: he must be a god."

Carl .LHS. Williams

Nov 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/26/99
In article <383DB925...@snet.net>, C. Dimmick <cdim...@snet.net> wrote:

[hymn snipped]

>Charles Wm. Dimmick

'Aven't I seen Lizz cite you somewhere? Stick about for a BA or WHY...

Rosie Cox

Nov 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/26/99
In article <TEDM4ABh...@davita.demon.co.uk>, David Reid
<da...@davita.demon.co.uk> writes

>Rosie Cox's best pigeon dodged hawks and farmer's guns to bring me the
>following:
>>>
>>That is ver ver troo. We had a second hymn as well, didn't we? Can't
>>for the life of me unforget what it was though....
>
>I'm sure you did and I can't remember either. It seems I didn't tripe up
>the service sheet so a copy isn't in my Eshed, I think a Hewii did it so
>it's probably not in yours either. One of us probably has a paper copy
>somewhere though, it'll turn up one day.

Possibly 'The Lord Is My Shepherd'

Lizz Holmans

Nov 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/26/99
In article <81ku6r$b...@yon-net.demon.co.uk>, Carl .LHS. Williams
<ca...@nospam.demon.co.uk> writes

>In article <383DB925...@snet.net>, C. Dimmick <cdim...@snet.net> wrote:
>
>[hymn snipped]
>
>>Charles Wm. Dimmick
>
>'Aven't I seen Lizz cite you somewhere? Stick about for a BA or WHY...

Charles Dimmick is our resident geologist and sometime God in
alt.folklore.urban. He also likes to send mildly dirty jokes on e-mail.
He is one cool dude. His desk is legendary--very, very sheddy.

He is also an ex-chicken farmer.

Charles is my best mate, and I luuuuurve him.

LizzH.

--
Lizz Holmans

Dave Dunford

Nov 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/26/99
On Tue, 23 Nov 1999 22:47:12 +0000, xenop...@hotmail.com wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Nov 1999 19:09:52 GMT, "Jon Thompson"

> <jon.th...@ten.aralc> wandered to the table and absently arranged

> the Scrabble tiles to spell out -
> >

> >Brian Skinner wrote in message
> ><2shi3ss1c5isa8ptr...@4ax.com>...

> >>Couldn't agree more. Even though I'm an atheist, it still makes me
> >>very cross when some splendid old tune that we used to sing in
> >>assembly is replaced by a wishy-washy dirge.
> >

> >I like All Fings Brite and Byootiful cos it's a nice happy choon, but NOT
> >when there's some happy clappers murderin' it.

Dear Lord and Father of Mankind. Luvverly lush Victorian
sentimentality, not a dry eye in the house.

Dave (yet another signed-up SATB hymn-singing atheist)

Sue

Nov 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/26/99
In article <hN$oGRAPM...@antler.demon.co.uk>, Alan H Jones
<ahj...@antler.demon.co.uk> writes

>In article <fl5o3s0cpv408mmlv...@4ax.com>, Ron Clark
><Ro...@vanb.freeserve.co.uk> writes
>>I had one of they Registry thingies.
>
>So did I, in November, but I can't remember the exact date.

Me too, but I am fairly sure the rk hasn't ever been called Alan.

--
Sue

Sue

Nov 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/26/99
In article <W2vR2CAB...@jackalope.demon.co.uk>, Lizz Holmans
<di...@jackalope.demon.co.uk> writes
And I thank him for putting the whole words up. Made me shiver.
Thank you.

--
Sue

Guy King

Nov 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/26/99
The message <383ebafb...@news.rmplc.net>
from ddun...@rmplc.net (Dave Dunford) contains these words:

> Dear Lord and Father of Mankind. Luvverly lush Victorian
> sentimentality, not a dry eye in the house.

And "For those in peril on the sea" gets me snivelling every time.
Its one of the few hymns I can't sing right through without stopping
to blow my nose.

David Reid

Nov 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/26/99
Dave Dunford's best pigeon dodged hawks and farmer's guns to bring me
the following:

>Dear Lord and Father of Mankind. Luvverly lush Victorian
>sentimentality, not a dry eye in the house.

Clarissa Thingy-Wotsit (the half of the Two Fat Ladies wot ain't dead)
picked that on desert Island disks this morning. One of my favourites
too.David's laws of car restoration:
1) The quality of any given weld is inversely proportional to the
probability that the panel it is holding is in the right place.

C. Dimmick

Nov 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/26/99
Carl .LHS. Williams wrote:

> C. Dimmick <cdim...@snet.net> wrote:
> >Charles Wm. Dimmick
>
> 'Aven't I seen Lizz cite you somewhere? Stick about for a BA or WHY...

Thank you, but I will stay mostly in lurk mode for a while yet.
Being one of those foreign yankee types, it is going to take me
some time to figure out the local conventions and dialect. You
all seem to have about 5 times as many shiboleths and in-words
as alt.folklore.urban, and I always thought we had a lot.
However, from the 1000 or so of the messages I've read so far
it does seem as though you have carved out quite a cosy home
in this corner of usenet. And Mike H. tells me that you are
my kind of people, even though we are separated by a common
language and a big pond.

Charles Wm. Dimmick

Bob Goddard

Nov 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/26/99
Lizz Holmans rolled over, had a good scratch, belched loudly, then
mumbled...

>In article <81ku6r$b...@yon-net.demon.co.uk>, Carl .LHS. Williams
><ca...@nospam.demon.co.uk> writes
>>In article <383DB925...@snet.net>, C. Dimmick <cdim...@snet.net> wrote:
>>
>>[hymn snipped]
>>
>>>Charles Wm. Dimmick
>>
>>'Aven't I seen Lizz cite you somewhere? Stick about for a BA or WHY...
>
>Charles Dimmick is our resident geologist and sometime God in
>alt.folklore.urban. He also likes to send mildly dirty jokes on e-mail.
>He is one cool dude. His desk is legendary--very, very sheddy.
>

>He is also an ex-chicken farmer.

I spose ex-chickens are cheaper to feed?

Jill Russell

Nov 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/26/99
>I chose that for my wedding. The vicar tried to talk me out of it,
>but I insisted and all the congregation looooooooooved it. It was the
>only hymn they knew out of all the hymns we had.

I wanted 'To be a Pilgrim' (He who would valiant be through all disaster
etc) but then I got married in a registry orifice.
--
Jill

Richard Robinson

Nov 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/27/99
In article <sm3u3scfhahv8m587...@4ax.com>,
xenop...@hotmail.com wrote:
>On Fri, 26 Nov 1999 22:25:53 GMT, Guy King <guy....@zetnet.co.uk>

>wandered to the table and absently arranged the Scrabble tiles to
>spell out -
>>The message <383ebafb...@news.rmplc.net>
>> from ddun...@rmplc.net (Dave Dunford) contains these words:
>>

>>> Dear Lord and Father of Mankind. Luvverly lush Victorian
>>> sentimentality, not a dry eye in the house.
>>
>>And "For those in peril on the sea" gets me snivelling every time.
>>Its one of the few hymns I can't sing right through without stopping
>>to blow my nose.
>
>Oooo yess. Me too.
>
>And "Away in a Manger" and "There is a green hill far away".

"There is a green hill" can be sung very effectively to the tune of "the
Laughing Policeman". A local favourite.

Just thought you might like to know that.

--
Richard Robinson

Carl .LHS. Williams

Nov 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/27/99
In article <199911262...@zetnet.co.uk>,

Guy King <guy....@zetnet.co.uk> wrote:
>The message <383ebafb...@news.rmplc.net>
> from ddun...@rmplc.net (Dave Dunford) contains these words:
>

>> Dear Lord and Father of Mankind. Luvverly lush Victorian
>> sentimentality, not a dry eye in the house.
>
>And "For those in peril on the sea" gets me snivelling every time.
>Its one of the few hymns I can't sing right through without stopping
>to blow my nose.

I feel deprived, now. Skool knocked out of me any sentimentality I might
have for hymns, though other music can have me misty-eyed in a second.
(Acshirly, I guvax the odd Welsh hymn mite have that effect, sung
appropriately, but it tends ter be the situation and the voices, innit?)

Rosie Cox

Nov 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/27/99
In article <199911262...@zetnet.co.uk>, Guy King
<guy....@zetnet.co.uk> writes

>The message <383ebafb...@news.rmplc.net>
> from ddun...@rmplc.net (Dave Dunford) contains these words:
>

>> Dear Lord and Father of Mankind. Luvverly lush Victorian
>> sentimentality, not a dry eye in the house.
>
>And "For those in peril on the sea" gets me snivelling every time.
>Its one of the few hymns I can't sing right through without stopping
>to blow my nose.

Beeyootiful version of it the film 'Crimson Tide'.

Mike Holmans

Nov 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/27/99
In article <fl5o3s0cpv408mmlv...@4ax.com>, Ron Clark
<Ro...@vanb.freeserve.co.uk> decided to impart

>Thomas Rushton wrote to uk.rec.sheds to say this (or some of this),
>and so must be presumed to have been just about sober enough to type
>on Wed, 24 Nov 1999 15:07:22 -0000
>

>>My cuzzin wot got hitched larst summer had a nakordion playing at his
>>registry-office wedding. Ver' nice, too.
>
>I had one of they Registry thingies.

...but then Windoze crashed and corrupted it?

No circular tuits were harmed in the selection of music for our wedding,
so we diddenavenny. What it looked like can be seen at
<http://www.hearsay.demon.co.uk/wedding>.

MikeH
--
JBC, OETKBC, LACC

Mike Holmans

Nov 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/27/99
In article <3i2v3sshe9rae826v...@4ax.com>, Ron Clark
<Ro...@vanb.freeserve.co.uk> decided to impart
>C. Dimmick wrote to uk.rec.sheds to say this (or some of this), and so
>must be presumed to have been just about sober enough to type on Fri,
>26 Nov 1999 20:55:47 -0500
>
>>Carl .LHS. Williams wrote:

>>> 'Aven't I seen Lizz cite you somewhere? Stick about for a BA or WHY...
>>
>>Thank you, but I will stay mostly in lurk mode for a while yet.
>>Being one of those foreign yankee types, it is going to take me
>>some time to figure out the local conventions and dialect. You
>>all seem to have about 5 times as many shiboleths and in-words
>>as alt.folklore.urban, and I always thought we had a lot.
>
>That's all very well, but our Charlie Dimmick gets er itts out
>fer the boys. Wot's your claim to fame then ?

Rocks. Igneous, sedimentary, balsamic, metamaninthepubic, all them
things. He's a rock-doctor. Arsk 'im anything about rocks. Or ex-
chickens.

And .... The Desk. There is more tqt in Charles's Desk than in four
average sheds. There's a catalogue of the contents, but it only covers
the years 1957-61, which is roughly the back half of the third drawer
down on the left.

c o jones

Nov 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/27/99

> Lizz Holmans rolled over, had a good scratch, belched loudly, then
> mumbled...
> >In article <81ku6r$b...@yon-net.demon.co.uk>, Carl .LHS. Williams
> ><ca...@nospam.demon.co.uk> writes
> >>In article <383DB925...@snet.net>, C. Dimmick <cdim...@snet.net>
wrote:

> >>[hymn snipped]

> >>'Aven't I seen Lizz cite you somewhere? Stick about for a BA or WHY...
> >
> >Charles Dimmick is our resident geologist and sometime God in
> >alt.folklore.urban. He also likes to send mildly dirty jokes on e-mail.
> >He is one cool dude. His desk is legendary--very, very sheddy.
> >

> >He is also an ex-chicken farmer.
> >

> I spose ex-chickens are cheaper to feed?

Maybe he's someone who likes ex with chickens

coj

Jon Thompson

Nov 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/27/99

xenop...@hotmail.com wrote in message ...

>On Fri, 26 Nov 1999 22:25:53 GMT, Guy King <guy....@zetnet.co.uk>
>wandered to the table and absently arranged the Scrabble tiles to
>spell out -
>>The message <383ebafb...@news.rmplc.net>
>> from ddun...@rmplc.net (Dave Dunford) contains these words:
>

>>> Dear Lord and Father of Mankind. Luvverly lush Victorian
>>> sentimentality, not a dry eye in the house.
>>
>>And "For those in peril on the sea" gets me snivelling every time.
>>Its one of the few hymns I can't sing right through without stopping
>>to blow my nose.
>
>Oooo yess. Me too.
>
>And "Away in a Manger" <snip>.

Yes! Ununforgotten that. Luverly choon, vat. 'cept when murdered by infants.

--
Jon "Terwur@" Thompson.

"Spike lives in his head. He actually LIVES in his head..."

Jon Thompson

Nov 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/27/99

Rosie Cox wrote in message ...

>In article <199911262...@zetnet.co.uk>, Guy King
><guy....@zetnet.co.uk> writes
>>The message <383ebafb...@news.rmplc.net>
>> from ddun...@rmplc.net (Dave Dunford) contains these words:
>>

>>> Dear Lord and Father of Mankind. Luvverly lush Victorian
>>> sentimentality, not a dry eye in the house.
>>
>>And "For those in peril on the sea" gets me snivelling every time.
>>Its one of the few hymns I can't sing right through without stopping
>>to blow my nose.
>
>Beeyootiful version of it the film 'Crimson Tide'.

The Divine Comedy did a gud song called For Those In Peril On The Sea. All
about how much Mr Comedy likes to eat fish.

Jon Thompson

Nov 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/27/99

Mike Holmans wrote in message <$tKTrdAG...@jackalope.demon.co.uk>...

>In article <3i2v3sshe9rae826v...@4ax.com>, Ron Clark
><Ro...@vanb.freeserve.co.uk> decided to impart
>>C. Dimmick wrote to uk.rec.sheds to say this (or some of this), and so
>>must be presumed to have been just about sober enough to type on Fri,
>>26 Nov 1999 20:55:47 -0500
>>

>>That's all very well, but our Charlie Dimmick gets er itts out
>>fer the boys. Wot's your claim to fame then ?
>
>Rocks. Igneous, sedimentary, balsamic, metamaninthepubic, all them
>things. He's a rock-doctor. Arsk 'im anything about rocks. Or ex-
>chickens.

My pet rock is orft its food. It's a 5 pound igneous one. Can anything be
done? Is it just a phase or what?

cdim...@snet.net

Nov 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/27/99
In article <DkR%3.695$4a5....@nnrp4.clara.net>,
"Jon Thompson" <jon.th...@ten.aralc> wrote:

> Mike Holmans wrote
> > Ron Clark decided to impart

> >>That's all very well, but our Charlie Dimmick gets er itts out
> >>fer the boys. Wot's your claim to fame then ?

Sorry to have to use deja for answering this, but about
half the shed pieces don't make it across the pond.
Anyway, I have seen videos of your Charlie Dimmock in action.
It is really impressive, as one chap said it's just like
two puppies wrestling under a blanket.

> >Rocks. Igneous, sedimentary, balsamic, metamaninthepubic, all them
> >things. He's a rock-doctor. Arsk 'im anything about rocks. Or ex-
> >chickens.

> My pet rock is orft its food. It's a 5 pound igneous one.
> Can anything be done? Is it just a phase or what?

Some rocks are like boa constrictors, only more so. One good
meal can last them for ages. Just make sure it gets plenty
of rest. Oh, and don't forget to dust it occasionally.

Charles

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Carl .LHS. Williams

Nov 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/27/99
In article <$tKTrdAG...@jackalope.demon.co.uk>,

Mike Holmans <pos...@jackalope.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>That's all very well, but our Charlie Dimmick gets er itts out
>>fer the boys. Wot's your claim to fame then ?
>
>Rocks. Igneous, sedimentary, balsamic, metamaninthepubic, all them
>things. He's a rock-doctor. Arsk 'im anything about rocks. Or ex-
>chickens.

OK, where can I get a lump of Iolite, does it have another name, and
what's it made of? (This isn't a trick question - I saw a bit for
sale inna shop once, but haven't seen any since.)

Wumpus

Nov 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/27/99

<cdim...@snet.net> wrote in message news:81pb4q$fa5$1...@nnrp1.deja.com...

> In article <DkR%3.695$4a5....@nnrp4.clara.net>,
> "Jon Thompson" <jon.th...@ten.aralc> wrote:
> >
> > Mike Holmans wrote
> > > Ron Clark decided to impart

> Sorry to have to use deja for answering this, but about
> half the shed pieces don't make it across the pond.
> Anyway, I have seen videos of your Charlie Dimmock in action.
> It is really impressive, as one chap said it's just like
> two puppies wrestling under a blanket.
>
> > >Rocks. Igneous, sedimentary, balsamic, metamaninthepubic, all them
> > >things. He's a rock-doctor. Arsk 'im anything about rocks. Or ex-
> > >chickens.
>

> > My pet rock is orft its food. It's a 5 pound igneous one.
> > Can anything be done? Is it just a phase or what?
>
> Some rocks are like boa constrictors, only more so. One good
> meal can last them for ages. Just make sure it gets plenty
> of rest. Oh, and don't forget to dust it occasionally.
>
> Charles

I have baskets of rockses and pebbles instead of statutes(appart from a
couple of Buddahs and a Lord Krishna) in my sitting room; also a big chunk
of Pre Cambrian Longmyndian Stretton Series. If I feed it, what's the chance
of fossils appearing?

Nothing much showing so far.

Worried - wumpus.

Guy King

Nov 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/27/99
The message <DkR%3.695$4a5....@nnrp4.clara.net>
from "Jon Thompson" <jon.th...@ten.aralc> contains these words:

> My pet rock is orft its food. It's a 5 pound igneous one. Can anything be
> done? Is it just a phase or what?

Could be a metamorphic phase.

Brian Skinner

Nov 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/27/99
Guy King <guy....@zetnet.co.uk> wrote:

> > My pet rock is orft its food. It's a 5 pound igneous one. Can anything be
> > done? Is it just a phase or what?
>
> Could be a metamorphic phase.

That's gneiss.

--
Brian

Bob Goddard

Nov 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/27/99
Guy King rolled over, had a good scratch, belched loudly, then
mumbled...

>The message <DkR%3.695$4a5....@nnrp4.clara.net>
> from "Jon Thompson" <jon.th...@ten.aralc> contains these words:
>

>> My pet rock is orft its food. It's a 5 pound igneous one. Can anything be
>> done? Is it just a phase or what?
>
>Could be a metamorphic phase.

Sedimentary, my dear Watson.

C. Dimmick

Nov 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/27/99
c o jones wrote:
> Bob Goddard <new...@godwit.demon.co.uk> wrote
> > Lizz Holmans mumbled...

> > >Charles Dimmick is our resident geologist and sometime God in
> > >alt.folklore.urban. He also likes to send mildly dirty jokes on e-mail.
> > >He is one cool dude. His desk is legendary--very, very sheddy.
> > >He is also an ex-chicken farmer.
> >
> > I spose ex-chickens are cheaper to feed?
>
> Maybe he's someone who likes ex with chickens

Axually, when I had the chickens I sold the ex to
the local health-food stores. The ones we didn't
eat, of course. Paid for the chicken feed that
way. So basically we had chicken and ex for free.

Charles

A chicken is actually a device by which an egg
reproduces itself.

Carl .LHS. Williams

Nov 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/28/99
In article <7+GSeUAL...@jirus.demon.co.uk>,

I spect you could still be a pilgrim if you asked nicely?

Jon Thompson

Nov 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/28/99

cdim...@snet.net wrote in message <81pb4q$fa5$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>...

>In article <DkR%3.695$4a5....@nnrp4.clara.net>,
> "Jon Thompson" <jon.th...@ten.aralc> wrote:
>>
>> Mike Holmans wrote
>> > Ron Clark decided to impart

>Sorry to have to use deja for answering this, but about
>half the shed pieces don't make it across the pond.
>Anyway, I have seen videos of your Charlie Dimmock in action.
>It is really impressive, as one chap said it's just like
>two puppies wrestling under a blanket.
>
>> >Rocks. Igneous, sedimentary, balsamic, metamaninthepubic, all them
>> >things. He's a rock-doctor. Arsk 'im anything about rocks. Or ex-
>> >chickens.
>

>> My pet rock is orft its food. It's a 5 pound igneous one.
>> Can anything be done? Is it just a phase or what?
>
>Some rocks are like boa constrictors, only more so. One good
>meal can last them for ages. Just make sure it gets plenty
>of rest. Oh, and don't forget to dust it occasionally.

Okaey dokey. Nuffing to worry abvout then. Phew! Had me wurried, that rock,
I can tell you!

Lizz Holmans

Nov 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/28/99
In article <7+GSeUAL...@jirus.demon.co.uk>, Jill Russell

>I wanted 'To be a Pilgrim' (He who would valiant be through all disaster
>etc) but then I got married in a registry orifice.

I wanted 'You and Me' by R.E.M., but I never got a round tuit to make
sure it was OK with the registry office.

We got married anyway.
And we will have our second anniversary on Monday.

LizzH.

--
Lizz Holmans

Guy King

Nov 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/28/99
The message <i6l04scfdlio6k4hm...@4ax.com>
from Brian Skinner <br...@brisk.demon.co.uk> contains these words:

> > > My pet rock is orft its food. It's a 5 pound igneous one. Can anything be
> > > done? Is it just a phase or what?
> >

> > Could be a metamorphic phase.

> That's gneiss.

Talk to your gran, it'll all have been done before.

Guy King

Nov 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/28/99
The message <CjULDGAo...@godwit.demon.co.uk>
from Bob Goddard <new...@godwit.demon.co.uk> contains these words:

> >Could be a metamorphic phase.

> Sedimentary, my dear Watson.

Of course, if its a coprolith it'll be "Alimentary my dear Watson"

Bob Goddard

Nov 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/28/99
Jill Russell rolled over, had a good scratch, belched loudly, then
mumbled...

>I wanted 'To be a Pilgrim' (He who would valiant be through all disaster
>etc) but then I got married in a registry orifice.

So you gave up pilgrimming and became a teecher then?

Bob Goddard

Nov 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/28/99
Guy King rolled over, had a good scratch, belched loudly, then
mumbled...

>The message <CjULDGAo...@godwit.demon.co.uk>
> from Bob Goddard <new...@godwit.demon.co.uk> contains these words:
>

>> >Could be a metamorphic phase.
>
>> Sedimentary, my dear Watson.
>
>Of course, if its a coprolith it'll be "Alimentary my dear Watson"

Dead alimentary in fact.

(Bob
--
>---B---------| This space unintentionally left |---NB - "News"--->
Goddard | blank. | may be updated
>---b---------| |--occasionally--->
http://www.godwit.demon.co.uk/sheds.html

Bob Goddard

Nov 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/28/99
Guy King rolled over, had a good scratch, belched loudly, then
mumbled...
>The message <i6l04scfdlio6k4hm...@4ax.com>
> from Brian Skinner <br...@brisk.demon.co.uk> contains these words:

>> > Could be a metamorphic phase.
>
>> That's gneiss.
>
>Talk to your gran, it'll all have been done before.

Yup, shale tell you all about it (if she's not too stoned), while
swaying gently in her rocking chair.

(Bob

--
>---B---------| International Goatkeepers Society |---NB - "News"--->
Goddard | membership number 001855 | may be updated
>---b---------| |--occasionally--->
http://www.godwit.demon.co.uk/sheds.html

Bob Goddard

Nov 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/28/99
Lizz Holmans rolled over, had a good scratch, belched loudly, then
mumbled...

>I wanted 'You and Me' by R.E.M., but I never got a round tuit to make
>sure it was OK with the registry office.
>
>We got married anyway.
>And we will have our second anniversary on Monday.
>
>LizzH.

You listening, Mike?

Mike Holmans

Nov 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/28/99
In article <CjcY6XAF...@godwit.demon.co.uk>, Bob Goddard
<new...@godwit.demon.co.uk> decided to impart

>Lizz Holmans rolled over, had a good scratch, belched loudly, then
>mumbled...
>>
>>I wanted 'You and Me' by R.E.M., but I never got a round tuit to make
>>sure it was OK with the registry office.
>>
>>We got married anyway.
>>And we will have our second anniversary on Monday.
>>
>>LizzH.
>>

>You listening, Mike?

Yes. I'm going to Milton Keynes for the day.

Jon Gurr

Nov 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/28/99

Ron Clark wrote:

> Jon Thompson wrote to uk.rec.sheds to say this (or some of this), and

> so must be presumed to have been just about sober enough to type on

> Sat, 27 Nov 1999 13:50:27 GMT

> >My pet rock is orft its food. It's a 5 pound igneous one. Can anything be
> >done? Is it just a phase or what?
>

> Just ignore it, it is just a phase.
>
> In a couple of 10^6 years it'll grow out of it.

I dunno, you gotta be careful, it could be gettin' philosophical. If it don't
wake up in another decade or so, I'd shake it for a while and play it some
Fcvpr Tveyf 'music' That'll stop any guvaxing it might be doing. And you, too,
if yer not careful.

--

JonG (JBC No. 37 3/4)

You've got to cut the ICE
to reply

Brian Skinner

Nov 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/28/99
Guy King <guy....@zetnet.co.uk> wrote:

> The message <CjULDGAo...@godwit.demon.co.uk>
> from Bob Goddard <new...@godwit.demon.co.uk> contains these words:
>

> > >Could be a metamorphic phase.
>

> > Sedimentary, my dear Watson.
>
> Of course, if its a coprolith it'll be "Alimentary my dear Watson"

That's a load of schist.

--
Brian

C. Dimmick

Nov 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/28/99
Wumpus sez:

> <cdim...@snet.net> wrote in message news:81pb4q$fa5$1...@nnrp1.deja.com...

> > Some rocks are like boa constrictors, only more so. One good

> > meal can last them for ages. Just make sure it gets plenty
> > of rest. Oh, and don't forget to dust it occasionally.

> I have baskets of rockses and pebbles instead of statutes

> (appart from a couple of Buddahs and a Lord Krishna) in
> my sitting room; also a big chunk of Pre Cambrian Longmyndian
> Stretton Series. If I feed it, what's the chance of fossils
> appearing?
>
> Nothing much showing so far.

Just curious, what are you planning on feeding it?
As I understand it, the gestation period for preCambrian
rocks is incredibly long. So I wouldn't hold my breath
if I were you.

Charles
"Not the kind of Doctor who does anybody any good"

It is loading more messages.