Early New Years Wishes

Nicholas D. Richards

Dec 31, 2021, 5:22:50 PM12/31/21
I am absolutely knackered, so

Can I wish everyone a Happy New Year early, and then I'm ohttrevat off
to bed.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Oů sont les neiges d'antan?"

Nick Odell

Dec 31, 2021, 7:35:25 PM12/31/21
On Fri, 31 Dec 2021 22:22:34 +0000, "Nicholas D. Richards"
<nich...@salmiron.com> wrote:

>I am absolutely knackered, so
>
>Can I wish everyone a Happy New Year early, and then I'm ohttrevat off
>to bed.

The same to you Mr 0sterc@tcher - and to all and sundry who, from time
to time hang their cardies from the nails in this rather lovely little
abode.

Nick

Don Stockbauer

Dec 31, 2021, 10:05:21 PM12/31/21
I hung my Cardi here , then someone stole it : can we mount a posse?

Tone

Jan 1, 2022, 4:13:20 AM1/1/22
On 31/12/2021 22:22, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
> I am absolutely knackered, so
>
> Can I wish everyone a Happy New Year early, and then I'm ohttrevat off
> to bed.

This is the first NY that the X^4 and I failed to make it to midnight too.

The total lack of anything worth watching on t'elly didnay help.

Tone

Tone

Jan 1, 2022, 4:15:13 AM1/1/22
I echo that.

Should we start digging an underground shelter?

Tone

Nick Odell

Jan 1, 2022, 4:54:35 AM1/1/22
Back in the days when I had a telly - more than 20 years ago - it
would have been Jules Holland. I was staggered to see that he's still
doing the same NYE programme and what's more, with much the same
line-up of regulars too.

Nick

Peter

Jan 1, 2022, 6:27:57 AM1/1/22
Nick Odell <ni...@themusicworkshop.plus.com> wrote in
Happy new circumnavigation of our local fusion reactor to sheddies all.

--
Peter
-----

Chris Elvidge

Jan 1, 2022, 6:36:36 AM1/1/22
No. Get a man with a digger to do it.

--
Chris Elvidge
England

Tone

Jan 1, 2022, 9:58:12 AM1/1/22
Or rabbits?

Tone

Nicholas D. Richards

Jan 1, 2022, 12:18:03 PM1/1/22
In article <3090tg9keitnj9doq...@4ax.com>, Nick Odell
<ni...@themusicworkshop.plus.com> on Sat, 1 Jan 2022 at 09:54:33 awoke
Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
My wife thought she had tuned in to Dave.

Sam Plusnet

Jan 1, 2022, 3:11:32 PM1/1/22
Can't get a digger down the steps into this garden, so it'll have to be
the rabbits.
Do they jbex for peanuts?

--
Sam Plusnet

Sam Plusnet

Jan 1, 2022, 3:15:46 PM1/1/22
I wuz 'stonished to see that he's only 63. Unlike Lulu who has a decade
on him.

I haven't seen the prog[1] for ages & ages (bring back The White Heather
Club!) but what I saw was truly awful.
Maybe you have to be very very drunk to watch it.

[1] Jules Holland & all that.

--
Sam Plusnet

RustyHinge

Jan 1, 2022, 3:18:51 PM1/1/22
Bring back Muffin the Mule.

--
Rusty Hinge

Mike Fleming

Jan 1, 2022, 4:27:42 PM1/1/22
On 01/01/2022 09:54, Nick Odell wrote:

> Back in the days when I had a telly - more than 20 years ago - it
> would have been Jules Holland. I was staggered to see that he's still
> doing the same NYE programme and what's more, with much the same
> line-up of regulars too.

Yola - awful song choice playing Sunshine of your love. I was surprised
to hear she's playing Sister Rosetta in a film - it's like Rag and Bone
Man playing Freddie Mercury.

Rag and Bone Man - quite enjoyed him.

Vic Reeves was enjoying himself - the old "enthusiasm more important
than ability" came to mind. Not awful on Believer and obviously having fun.

Quite enjoyed Ed Sheeran. Sorry.

Lulu - great voice still, backing for Shout was woefully lacking in impact.

Joy Crookes - like the Keir Starmer of vocalists. Something about her
voice was deathly dull and just killed whatever she sang.

Some fairly decent stuff from previous years - Supergrass, Soul II Soul,
and Primal Scream.

Peter

Jan 1, 2022, 4:34:06 PM1/1/22
RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote in
Illegal, now. The mules objected.

--
Peter
-----

Sam Plusnet

Jan 1, 2022, 5:00:04 PM1/1/22
On 01-Jan-22 21:27, Mike Fleming wrote:
> On 01/01/2022 09:54, Nick Odell wrote:
>>
>> Back in the days when I had a telly - more than 20 years ago - it
>> would have been Jules Holland. I was staggered to see that he's still
>> doing the same NYE programme and what's more, with much the same
>> line-up of regulars too.
>
> Yola - awful song choice playing Sunshine of your love. I was surprised
> to hear she's playing Sister Rosetta in a film - it's like Rag and Bone
> Man playing Freddie Mercury.
>
> Rag and Bone Man - quite enjoyed him.
>
> Vic Reeves was enjoying himself - the old "enthusiasm more important
> than ability" came to mind. Not awful on Believer and obviously having fun.

Graduate of the 'Mike Stand Swingers School of Excellence'?

> Quite enjoyed Ed Sheeran. Sorry.
>
> Lulu - great voice still, backing for Shout was woefully lacking in impact.

Wonder how many times she's sung that?
Did she really need the huge sunglasses?

> Joy Crookes - like the Keir Starmer of vocalists. Something about her
> voice was deathly dull and just killed whatever she sang.

Opinion in this house was that singer & musicians should have come to an
agreement before the prog. Sounded a bit like 'one song to the tune of
another'.

> Some fairly decent stuff from previous years - Supergrass, Soul II Soul,
> and Primal Scream.

They could have just done a "best of" compilation and saved a lot of dosh.

--
Sam Plusnet

Nicholas D. Richards

Jan 1, 2022, 5:38:33 PM1/1/22
In article <QD2AJ.1476392$8674....@fx11.ams1>, Sam Plusnet
<n...@home.com> on Sat, 1 Jan 2022 at 20:15:44 awoke Nicholas from his
slumbers and wrote
>On 01-Jan-22 9:54, Nick Odell wrote:

>>> This is the first NY that the X^4 and I failed to make it to midnight too.
>>>
>>> The total lack of anything worth watching on t'elly didnay help.
>>>
>> Back in the days when I had a telly - more than 20 years ago - it
>> would have been Jules Holland. I was staggered to see that he's still
>> doing the same NYE programme and what's more, with much the same
>> line-up of regulars too.
>
>I wuz 'stonished to see that he's only 63. Unlike Lulu who has a decade
>on him.

Now you have shocked me, I looked it up. She is 11 days older that
Prince 'I talk to trees' Charles. I am a little more than 6 months older
than her. In, my mind she is in her fifties, going on in her twenties.

I would be in for a shock if I met girlfriend from my teens or twenties.
Better not to go on a real world nostalgia trip. I'll just do an 'Avec
mes souvenirs' on my own 'et regrette rien'.

Nicholas D. Richards

Jan 1, 2022, 5:48:35 PM1/1/22
In article <7z2AJ.867374$XOa8....@fx08.ams1>, Sam Plusnet
<n...@home.com> on Sat, 1 Jan 2022 at 20:10:43 awoke Nicholas from his
slumbers and wrote
Yes, but so do Mr and Mrs Brock and they build bigger holes and clear up
after themselves. You just need to badger them from time to time.

Nicholas D. Richards

Jan 1, 2022, 5:48:35 PM1/1/22
In article <sqqcva$bfu$1...@dont-email.me>, RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.
girolle.co.uk> on Sat, 1 Jan 2022 at 20:18:49 awoke Nicholas from his
slumbers and wrote
I thought that was illegal as was Bill and Ben the Pot Men. Weed!
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Dennis Davis

Jan 2, 2022, 3:06:16 AM1/2/22
In article <lb8vsgd9qr3ofum4k...@4ax.com>,
Crikey, what have The Cardigans[1] done? What would warrant anyone
wanting to hang one of their members from a nail in Ye Shedde?
Surely we should hang our Donkey Jackets from a nail in Ye Shedde?
Oh, hang on, who wears Jackets made from Donkeys...

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cardigans
--
Dennis Davis <denni...@fastmail.fm>

Nicholas D. Richards

Jan 2, 2022, 3:40:40 AM1/2/22
In article <sqrmdm$k56$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Dennis Davis
<denni...@fastmail.fm> on Sun, 2 Jan 2022 at 08:06:14 awoke Nicholas
from his slumbers and wrote
>In article <lb8vsgd9qr3ofum4k...@4ax.com>,
>Nick Odell <ni...@themusicworkshop.plus.com> wrote:
>>On Fri, 31 Dec 2021 22:22:34 +0000, "Nicholas D. Richards"
>><nich...@salmiron.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I am absolutely knackered, so
>>>
>>>Can I wish everyone a Happy New Year early, and then I'm ohttrevat
>>>off to bed.
>>
>>The same to you Mr 0sterc@tcher - and to all and sundry who, from
>>time to time hang their cardies from the nails in this rather
>>lovely little abode.
>
>Crikey, what have The Cardigans[1] done? What would warrant anyone
>wanting to hang one of their members from a nail in Ye Shedde?
>Surely we should hang our Donkey Jackets from a nail in Ye Shedde?
>Oh, hang on, who wears Jackets made from Donkeys...

I suppose we could nail the jackets on the donkey, after all we hang the
tail on the donkey

Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Jan 2, 2022, 4:40:21 AM1/2/22
So why do we not have the new year on the solstice?
Does seem a bit random.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Nick Odell" <ni...@themusicworkshop.plus.com> wrote in message
> [...]

Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Jan 2, 2022, 4:42:38 AM1/2/22
Do you know something the rest of us don't?
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Tone" <em...@address.com> wrote in message

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Jan 2, 2022, 5:30:02 AM1/2/22
On Sun, 2 Jan 2022 08:06:14 -0000 (UTC)
Dennis Davis <denni...@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> hang one of their members from a nail

<wince>.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Tone

Jan 2, 2022, 6:42:04 AM1/2/22
Naah. That's squirriels. But underground shelters up trees don't really
jbex.

Tone

Tone

Jan 2, 2022, 6:43:50 AM1/2/22
On 01/01/2022 21:34, Peter wrote:
>> Bring back Muffin the Mule.
>
> Illegal, now. The mules objected.

I would have thought they would quite enjoy it.

Tone

Richard Robinson

Jan 2, 2022, 7:25:09 AM1/2/22
Sam Plusnet said:

> Opinion in this house was that singer & musicians should have come to an
> agreement before the prog. Sounded a bit like 'one song to the tune of
> another'.

That could be fun, taken "seriously".

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Nick Odell

Jan 2, 2022, 7:48:11 AM1/2/22
On Sun, 2 Jan 2022 09:40:19 -0000, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)"
<bri...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>So why do we not have the new year on the solstice?
> Does seem a bit random.

New Years are a bit random. The one we celebrated a couple of days ago
is only one of several. There'll be an other one along in no time.

Nick

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Jan 2, 2022, 8:00:02 AM1/2/22
On Sun, 2 Jan 2022 11:42:01 +0000
Tone <em...@address.com> wrote:

> Naah. That's squirriels. But underground shelters up trees don't really
> jbex.

Use fambly trees, they're downside up.

RustyHinge

Jan 2, 2022, 8:28:31 AM1/2/22
On 02/01/2022 09:40, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

> So why do we not have the new year on the solstice?
> Does seem a bit random.

Better on the sofa.

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Jan 2, 2022, 8:30:02 AM1/2/22
On Sun, 2 Jan 2022 09:40:19 -0000
"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" <bri...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> So why do we not have the new year on the solstice?

The lap marker fell out and there was a big argument about where it
should be and the Chinese don't like the compromise and insist on using
their own. It really doesn't help that there's nowhere solid to hammer the
thing into so we have to make do with a virtual one.

Kerr-Mudd, John

Jan 2, 2022, 8:43:06 AM1/2/22
On Fri, 31 Dec 2021 19:05:20 -0800 (PST)
Don Stockbauer <donsto...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday, December 31, 2021 at 6:35:25 PM UTC-6, Nick Odell wrote:
> > On Fri, 31 Dec 2021 22:22:34 +0000, "Nicholas D. Richards"
> > <nich...@salmiron.com> wrote:
> >
> > >I am absolutely knackered, so
> > >
> > >Can I wish everyone a Happy New Year early, and then I'm ohttrevat off
> > >to bed.
> > The same to you Mr 0sterc@tcher - and to all and sundry who, from time
> > to time hang their cardies from the nails in this rather lovely little
> > abode.
> >

> > Nick
>
> I hung my Cardi here , then someone stole it : can we mount a posse?

Is this the right place for a rood joak?

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Jan 2, 2022, 10:30:03 AM1/2/22
On Sun, 2 Jan 2022 13:28:29 +0000
RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:

> On 02/01/2022 09:40, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
>
> > So why do we not have the new year on the solstice?
> > Does seem a bit random.
>
> Better on the sofa.

I dropped a spare day down the back (nothing much was happening)
that we can pull out in a couple of years to fatten up February.

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Jan 2, 2022, 10:30:04 AM1/2/22
<distant yowl> I think Tom's taking care of it.

Kerr-Mudd, John

Jan 2, 2022, 11:53:48 AM1/2/22
On Sun, 2 Jan 2022 15:20:03 +0000
Ahem A Rivet's Shot <ste...@eircom.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 2 Jan 2022 13:28:29 +0000
> RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > On 02/01/2022 09:40, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
> >
> > > So why do we not have the new year on the solstice?
> > > Does seem a bit random.
> >
> > Better on the sofa.
>
> I dropped a spare day down the back (nothing much was happening)
> that we can pull out in a couple of years to fatten up February.

<gloom> February goes on long enough as it is.

(Insert </gloom> on St David's day)

Sam Plusnet

Jan 2, 2022, 2:02:37 PM1/2/22
On 02-Jan-22 15:20, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Jan 2022 13:28:29 +0000
> RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 02/01/2022 09:40, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
>>
>>> So why do we not have the new year on the solstice?
>>> Does seem a bit random.
>>
>> Better on the sofa.
>
> I dropped a spare day down the back (nothing much was happening)
> that we can pull out in a couple of years to fatten up February.

Hang on.
Let me find that box of dates, & I'll see what I can do.
Do you want the little plastic twig as well?

--
Sam Plusnet

Sam Plusnet

Jan 2, 2022, 2:03:41 PM1/2/22
No worries about pregnancy at least.

--
Sam Plusnet

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Jan 2, 2022, 3:00:04 PM1/2/22
On Sun, 2 Jan 2022 19:02:35 +0000
Sam Plusnet <n...@home.com> wrote:

> Let me find that box of dates

Ooh now a date, that'd be fun, haven't had one of those in a long
time.

RustyHinge

Jan 2, 2022, 3:06:36 PM1/2/22
On 02/01/2022 19:40, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Jan 2022 19:02:35 +0000
> Sam Plusnet <n...@home.com> wrote:
>
>> Let me find that box of dates
>
> Ooh now a date, that'd be fun, haven't had one of those in a long
> time.

I've got a bag of Saudi dates - shorterer and fatterer than noral
'Oasis' stylee dates. I've even got soe stones sprouting.

Tone

Jan 2, 2022, 4:26:33 PM1/2/22
On 02/01/2022 12:54, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Jan 2022 11:42:01 +0000
> Tone <em...@address.com> wrote:
>
>> Naah. That's squirriels. But underground shelters up trees don't really
>> jbex.
>
> Use fambly trees, they're downside up.

My old man decided to trace his fambly tree, found out he was born out
of wedlock, and gave up looking, much to my great amusement.

He was very annoyed that when I called him an old bastard I was right!

Tone

chr...@privacy.net

Jan 3, 2022, 5:18:42 AM1/3/22
No, the day after.
Can't give the welshies that sort of satisfaction
HTH, Chris

Don Stockbauer

Jan 3, 2022, 6:06:10 AM1/3/22
I researched my family tree, and I quit when I came up with creatures swinging from the branches of trees.

Mike Fleming

Jan 3, 2022, 7:15:26 AM1/3/22
Maybe so, but there's the risk of catching Moby Dick.

Mike Fleming

Jan 3, 2022, 7:21:08 AM1/3/22
On 01/01/2022 22:00, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 01-Jan-22 21:27, Mike Fleming wrote:
>> On 01/01/2022 09:54, Nick Odell wrote:
>>>
>>> Back in the days when I had a telly - more than 20 years ago - it
>>> would have been Jules Holland. I was staggered to see that he's still
>>> doing the same NYE programme and what's more, with much the same
>>> line-up of regulars too.
>>
>> Yola - awful song choice playing Sunshine of your love. I was
>> surprised to hear she's playing Sister Rosetta in a film - it's like
>> Rag and Bone Man playing Freddie Mercury.
>>
>> Rag and Bone Man - quite enjoyed him.
>>
>> Vic Reeves was enjoying himself - the old "enthusiasm more important
>> than ability" came to mind. Not awful on Believer and obviously having
>> fun.
>
> Graduate of the 'Mike Stand Swingers School of Excellence'?
>>
>> Quite enjoyed Ed Sheeran. Sorry.
>>
>> Lulu - great voice still, backing for Shout was woefully lacking in
>> impact.
>
> Wonder how many times she's sung that?
> Did she really need the huge sunglasses?
>>
>> Joy Crookes - like the Keir Starmer of vocalists. Something about her
>> voice was deathly dull and just killed whatever she sang.
>
> Opinion in this house was that singer & musicians should have come to an
> agreement before the prog.  Sounded a bit like 'one song to the tune of
> another'.

That was rather how Yola's version of "Sunshine of your love" came
across, plus the fact that it just doesn't sound right with horn section
and keyboards and so on.

>> Some fairly decent stuff from previous years - Supergrass, Soul II
>> Soul, and Primal Scream.
>
> They could have just done a "best of" compilation and saved a lot of dosh.

That's what they've been doing for the last year so they probably wanted
some "live" music. A bit of research (gwgling "ipswich vs barrow")
showed that it was recorded on 15th December, so later in the year than
it has been previously. Perhaps because, with the advancing age of
guests and performers, it lessens the risk of one falling off the perch
between recording and broadcast.

I thought they'd dug a hole for Dave Swift to stand in but he was just
playing his upright bass sitting down. Have I ever mentioned I've met him?

Nicholas D. Richards

Jan 3, 2022, 7:45:00 AM1/3/22
In article <sqt5a7$hb6$1...@dont-email.me>, Tone <em...@address.com> on
Sun, 2 Jan 2022 at 21:26:32 awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
My old man used to claim that an ancestor patented the first beer
engine. We discovered that the so called holder of the patent was, in
fact, a well known bar steward, murderer, philanderer and burglar who
was hung for his murders.

nev young

Jan 4, 2022, 4:43:41 AM1/4/22
On 02/01/2022 08:35, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:

> I suppose we could nail the jackets on the donkey, after all we hang the
> tail on the donkey

I oft-times hang many of my clothes on a horse.

--
Nev
It causes me a great deal of regret and remorse

maus

Jan 4, 2022, 11:45:04 AM1/4/22
Very common among the Irish in the states, people boasted of fleeing
British opression in Ireland were really fleeing an angry Father with
Slashook!

Nicholas D. Richards

Jan 4, 2022, 3:48:26 PM1/4/22
In article <sr14sb$6kt$1...@dont-email.me>, nev young <newsforpasiphae1953@
yahoo.co.uk> on Tue, 4 Jan 2022 at 09:43:39 awoke Nicholas from his
slumbers and wrote
>On 02/01/2022 08:35, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
>>>
>> I suppose we could nail the jackets on the donkey, after all we hang the
>> tail on the donkey
>>
>I oft-times hang many of my clothes on a horse.

I dry them hanging on the maiden, honest.