Best usenet client?

Nar

Feb 12, 2024, 7:29:08 PMFeb 12
Hi lads,

What usenet client do you use, and what do you reckon the best usenet client
for a newbie is nowadays?

I just use Windows Live Mail 2012 simply because it still works XD (other
than the occasional glitch here and there on Win10). Anyone else on WLM?

Electronically yours,
Nar,
a_...@riseup.net

Sn!pe

Feb 12, 2024, 7:42:18 PMFeb 12
For Windows: Microplanet Gravity as maintained by Steve Gibson at GRC.

<https://www.grc.com/discussions.htm> (page down)
<https://www.grc.com/files/GravitySetup.zip> (download link)

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator

My pet rock Gordon just is.

hub...@ccanoemail.com

Feb 12, 2024, 8:01:08 PMFeb 12
On Tue, 13 Feb 2024 00:42:15 +0000, snip...@gmail.com (Sn!pe) wrote:

>Nar <a_...@riseup.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi lads,
>>
>> What usenet client do you use, and what do you reckon the best usenet client
>> for a newbie is nowadays?
>>
>> I just use Windows Live Mail 2012 simply because it still works XD (other
>> than the occasional glitch here and there on Win10). Anyone else on WLM?
>>
>> Electronically yours,
>> Nar,
>> a_...@riseup.net
>>

>For Windows: Microplanet Gravity as maintained by Steve Gibson at GRC.
>
><https://www.grc.com/discussions.htm> (page down)
><https://www.grc.com/files/GravitySetup.zip> (download link)

They even have some instructions for configuring your
NetScape Communicator ... :-)

https://www.grc.com/configNC.htm

John T.

Jim the Geordie

Feb 12, 2024, 8:03:09 PMFeb 12
In article <1qoucfe.5u4y6pw45hqiN%snip...@gmail.com>, snipeco.2
@gmail.com says...

> Nar <a_...@riseup.net> wrote:
>
> > Hi lads,
> >
> > What usenet client do you use, and what do you reckon the best usenet client
> > for a newbie is nowadays?
> >
> > I just use Windows Live Mail 2012 simply because it still works XD (other
> > than the occasional glitch here and there on Win10). Anyone else on WLM?
> >
> > Electronically yours,
> > Nar,
> > a_...@riseup.net
> >

> For Windows: Microplanet Gravity as maintained by Steve Gibson at GRC.
>
> <https://www.grc.com/discussions.htm> (page down)
> <https://www.grc.com/files/GravitySetup.zip> (download link)

Me too.

--
Jim the Geordie

Hymermut

Feb 12, 2024, 9:53:14 PMFeb 12

Jeff Gaines

Feb 13, 2024, 3:27:49 AMFeb 13
On 13/02/2024 in message <uqed4i$1p0k5$1...@dont-email.me> Nar wrote:

>Hi lads,
>
>What usenet client do you use, and what do you reckon the best usenet
>client for a newbie is nowadays?
>
>I just use Windows Live Mail 2012 simply because it still works XD (other
>than the occasional glitch here and there on Win10). Anyone else on WLM?

I have used XanaNews for years, never found anything as good:

https://github.com/graemeg/xananews

NOT to be confused with Xnews

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day.

Tease'n'Seize

Feb 13, 2024, 4:02:47 AMFeb 13
Nar wrote:

> What usenet client do you use, and what do you reckon the best usenet
> client for a newbie is nowada

thunderbird here.

Abandoned Trolley

Feb 13, 2024, 5:42:03 AMFeb 13
On 13/02/2024 00:29, Nar wrote:
"still works XD" ??

Tease'n'Seize

Feb 13, 2024, 5:56:46 AMFeb 13
Abandoned Trolley wrote:

>  "still works XD" ??

'tis a form of LOL emoji

maus

Feb 13, 2024, 5:58:35 AMFeb 13
On 2024-02-13, Abandoned Trolley <fr...@fred-smith.co.uk> wrote:

slrn

--
grey...@mail.com
Is There not even one Influencer here to torment?

John Williamson

Feb 13, 2024, 5:58:53 AMFeb 13
On 13/02/2024 00:29, Nar wrote:
> Hi lads,
>
> What usenet client do you use, and what do you reckon the best usenet
> client for a newbie is nowadays?
>
> I just use Windows Live Mail 2012 simply because it still works XD
> (other than the occasional glitch here and there on Win10). Anyone else
> on WLM?

I have been using Thunderbird for 20 years or more for both usenet and
POP3 mail,since I gave up on Outlook Express.

Agent,Gravity and a couple of others are all enthusiastically used by
others here.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Abandoned Trolley

Feb 13, 2024, 6:04:37 AMFeb 13
Thats OK then - I thought it might have been a typo for "XP"

Julian Macassey

Feb 13, 2024, 6:20:01 AMFeb 13
On 13 Feb 2024 10:58:32 GMT, maus <ma...@deb2.org> wrote:
> On 2024-02-13, Abandoned Trolley <fr...@fred-smith.co.uk> wrote:
>
> slrn

I use slrn as well.

--
The NHS will last as long as there are folk left with faith to
fight for it. - Aneurin Bevan

Feb 13, 2024, 6:44:49 AMFeb 13

On Tue, 13 Feb 2024, Julian Macassey wrote:

> On 13 Feb 2024 10:58:32 GMT, maus <ma...@deb2.org> wrote:
>> On 2024-02-13, Abandoned Trolley <fr...@fred-smith.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> slrn
>
> I use slrn as well.

I use alpine.

Peter

Feb 13, 2024, 6:52:10 AMFeb 13
"Jeff Gaines" <jgne...@outlook.com> wrote in

> On 13/02/2024 in message <uqed4i$1p0k5$1...@dont-email.me> Nar wrote:
>
>>Hi lads,
>>
>>What usenet client do you use, and what do you reckon the best usenet
>>client for a newbie is nowadays?
>>
>>I just use Windows Live Mail 2012 simply because it still works XD
>>(other than the occasional glitch here and there on Win10). Anyone
>>else on WLM?
>

> I have used XanaNews for years, never found anything as good:
>
> https://github.com/graemeg/xananews
>
> NOT to be confused with Xnews

I use Xnews. It's crude and basic (not Basic) and it suites me just fine.

--
Peter
-----

Nicholas D. Richards

Feb 13, 2024, 7:39:23 AMFeb 13
In article <1qoucfe.5u4y6pw45hqiN%snip...@gmail.com>, Sn!pe
<snip...@gmail.com> on Tue, 13 Feb 2024 at 00:42:15 awoke Nicholas
from his slumbers and wrote
>Nar <a_...@riseup.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi lads,
>>
>> What usenet client do you use, and what do you reckon the best usenet client
>> for a newbie is nowadays?
>>
>> I just use Windows Live Mail 2012 simply because it still works XD (other
>> than the occasional glitch here and there on Win10). Anyone else on WLM?
>>
>> Electronically yours,
>> Nar,
>> a_...@riseup.net
>>

>For Windows: Microplanet Gravity as maintained by Steve Gibson at GRC.
>
><https://www.grc.com/discussions.htm> (page down)
><https://www.grc.com/files/GravitySetup.zip> (download link)

ATM I am still using Turnpike v5.02M for usenet. It still works and
satisfies my requirements. a comfortable old friend, unlike the
problems, costs (not inconsiderable) and exasperations that I now have
with emule as providers have progressively turned to Microsoft Exchange
Servers.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Oů sont les neiges d'antan?"

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Feb 13, 2024, 8:00:03 AMFeb 13
On Tue, 13 Feb 2024 09:29:04 +0900
"Nar" <a_...@riseup.net> wrote:

> What usenet client do you use, and what do you reckon the best usenet
> client for a newbie is nowadays?

I've been using Sylpheed for a very long time as it has failed to
annoy me enough to change it.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Kerr-Mudd, John

Feb 13, 2024, 8:09:34 AMFeb 13
I goov this sums it up; Ye Shedde is a house of many views.
It's no good asking for 1 recommendation!

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

chrisnd @ukrm

Feb 13, 2024, 10:17:14 AMFeb 13
On 13/02/2024 00:42, Sn!pe wrote:
> Nar <a_...@riseup.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi lads,
>>
>> What usenet client do you use, and what do you reckon the best usenet client
>> for a newbie is nowadays?
>>
>> I just use Windows Live Mail 2012 simply because it still works XD (other
>> than the occasional glitch here and there on Win10). Anyone else on WLM?
>>
>> Electronically yours,
>> Nar,
>> a_...@riseup.net
>>

> For Windows: Microplanet Gravity as maintained by Steve Gibson at GRC.
>
> <https://www.grc.com/discussions.htm> (page down)
> <https://www.grc.com/files/GravitySetup.zip> (download link)

Me too (when in winndoze)

Chris
--
The Deuchars BBB#40 COFF#14
Yamaha XV750SE & Suzuki GS550t

Mike Fleming

Feb 13, 2024, 10:43:58 AMFeb 13
ditto

Richard Robinson

Feb 13, 2024, 11:19:55 AMFeb 13
I use slrn

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Peter

Feb 13, 2024, 11:27:47 AMFeb 13
"Kerr-Mudd, John" <ad...@127.0.0.1> wrote in

> I goov this sums it up; Ye Shedde is a house of many views.
> It's no good asking for 1 recommendation!

Wise words.

--
Peter
-----

Richard Robinson

Feb 13, 2024, 11:33:19 AMFeb 13
Nah, asking's fine. Just so long as you know what to expect ...

Brian Gaff

Feb 13, 2024, 1:51:45 PMFeb 13
Does it not get orphaned every major update? I am using Outlet express but
now its lost its ability to see its own passwords and no amount of hacking
will get it to find them. Luckily I have a list of them and can type them in
but its getting a little tiresome. Sadly Outlook no longer does it and Tbird
seems to be very hard to use for a blind person.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Sn!pe" <snip...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Brian Gaff

Feb 13, 2024, 1:59:09 PMFeb 13
And the stupid overkill of google mails second factor authorisation. For the
average emailer none of that is of any use and it just makes it harder to
transfer between machines.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Nar" <a_...@riseup.net> wrote in message

Sam Plusnet

Feb 13, 2024, 2:49:20 PMFeb 13
On 13-Feb-24 0:42, Sn!pe wrote:
> Nar <a_...@riseup.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi lads,
>>
>> What usenet client do you use, and what do you reckon the best usenet client
>> for a newbie is nowadays?
>>
>> I just use Windows Live Mail 2012 simply because it still works XD (other
>> than the occasional glitch here and there on Win10). Anyone else on WLM?
>>
>> Electronically yours,
>> Nar,
>> a_...@riseup.net
>>

> For Windows: Microplanet Gravity as maintained by Steve Gibson at GRC.
>
> <https://www.grc.com/discussions.htm> (page down)
> <https://www.grc.com/files/GravitySetup.zip> (download link)

Thanks for that.
Gravity was my preferred Usenet client for yonks - until it suddenly
stopped working, several years back, for no apparent reason. Nothing I
tried got it going again.
Thunderbird was available so...
I'm off to (re) install Gravity.

--
Sam Plusnet

Kerr Mudd-John

Feb 13, 2024, 3:55:22 PMFeb 13
In article <l31ffn...@mid.individual.net>, chr...@privacy.net
says...

> On 13/02/2024 00:42, Sn!pe wrote:
> > Nar <a_...@riseup.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi lads,
> >>
> >> What usenet client do you use, and what do you reckon the best usenet client
> >> for a newbie is nowadays?
> >>
> >> I just use Windows Live Mail 2012 simply because it still works XD (other
> >> than the occasional glitch here and there on Win10). Anyone else on WLM?
> >>
> >> Electronically yours,
> >> Nar,
> >> a_...@riseup.net
> >>

> > For Windows: Microplanet Gravity as maintained by Steve Gibson at GRC.
> >
> > <https://www.grc.com/discussions.htm> (page down)
> > <https://www.grc.com/files/GravitySetup.zip> (download link)
> >
> Me too (when in winndoze)

I've just dled it - seems I already had a version from playing ages back
it took a bit of wrestling to find what I wanted - (Body Font) but
looking good.

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug

Kerr Mudd-John

Feb 13, 2024, 3:58:44 PMFeb 13
In article <2JPyN.323530$7sbb....@fx16.iad>, n...@home.com says...
I've just dled it - seems I already had a version from playing ages back
-

Kerr-Mudd, John

Feb 13, 2024, 4:01:55 PMFeb 13
Aha, I got through! twice.

Simon

Feb 13, 2024, 5:10:11 PMFeb 13
On 2024-02-13, Nar <a_...@riseup.net> wrote:
> Hi lads,
>
> What usenet client do you use, and what do you reckon the best usenet client
> for a newbie is nowadays?
>
> I just use Windows Live Mail 2012 simply because it still works XD (other
> than the occasional glitch here and there on Win10). Anyone else on WLM?
>
> Electronically yours,
> Nar,
> a_...@riseup.net

I use slrn because I always have since I switched to Linux. It gives
a sense of old school and displays things like html as the code not a
spam trap :-)

I am old, so is my software :-)

--
Simon

RLU: 222126

Simon

Feb 13, 2024, 5:18:53 PMFeb 13
Is Agent Forte Agent? I did try that when I had Windows in '95 and
IIRC bought a licence. Forgot all about it, a magical application at
the time. :-)
--
Simon

RLU: 222126

Mike Fleming

Feb 13, 2024, 7:16:06 PMFeb 13
On 13/02/2024 13:09, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:

> I goov this sums it up; Ye Shedde is a house of many views.
> It's no good asking for 1 recommendation!

There will always be at least n+1 opinions, where n is the number of
posters to the thread.

Tease'n'Seize

Feb 14, 2024, 2:58:00 AMFeb 14
Simon wrote:

> Is Agent Forte Agent? I did try that when I had Windows in '95 and
> IIRC bought a licence. Forgot all about it,

Yes I bought a Trumpet Winsock licence and an Agent licence

> a magical application at
> the time. :-)

Unfortunately (in my eyes) it still looks like a program from 1994

Sam Plusnet

Feb 14, 2024, 2:59:56 PMFeb 14
Follows up own post...

I installed & got Gravity to jbex, sort of.

I can download both headers and 'articles' but whilst the "Thread" pane
shows the Headers, the "Article" pane refuses to show me the post body -
which kind of defeats the whole purpose.

I haven't a clue why it's playing silly bludgers with me.

--
Sam Plusnet

Bernard Peek

Feb 14, 2024, 4:41:12 PMFeb 14
On 2024-02-13, Nar <a_...@riseup.net> wrote:
> Hi lads,
>
> What usenet client do you use, and what do you reckon the best usenet client
> for a newbie is nowadays?
>
> I just use Windows Live Mail 2012 simply because it still works XD (other
> than the occasional glitch here and there on Win10). Anyone else on WLM?

Welcome to Ye Shedde.

I'm using SLRN on a Linux machine. I can connect to it from whichever
machine I'm using around the house.

On Windows I've previously used Thunderbird. Before that the late, lamented,
Turnpike.

--
Bernard Peek
b...@shrdlu.com

Hymermut

Feb 14, 2024, 7:00:09 PMFeb 14
On 14/02/2024 19:59, Sam Plusnet wrote:

> I installed & got Gravity to jbex, sort of.

I'm so glad. The thought of you drifting off into space to join George
Clooney concerned me.

Tone

Sam Plusnet

Feb 14, 2024, 8:41:52 PMFeb 14
Me also as well. Clooney is not really my type.
(Or do I mean font?)

--
Sam Plusnet

Hymermut

Feb 14, 2024, 8:59:37 PMFeb 14
I think I'm more font of Sandra Bullock.

Tone

Nicholas D. Richards

Feb 15, 2024, 5:41:14 AMFeb 15
In article <l34qbl...@mid.individual.net>, Bernard Peek
<b...@shrdlu.com> on Wed, 14 Feb 2024 at 21:41:09 awoke Nicholas from
his slumbers and wrote
Turnpike 9under W7) still works with E-S. E-mule depends upon which
supplier you are using.

Adrian

Feb 15, 2024, 8:45:26 AMFeb 15
In message <d2poVWAO...@salmiron.com>, Nicholas D. Richards
<nich...@salmiron.com> writes
Turnpike (Under W10/32) still works with E-S, and works fine with my
E-mule provider. If Turnpike is late, no one has told my installation.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops

Sam Plusnet

Feb 15, 2024, 1:37:38 PMFeb 15
I read that double "l" as a double"t".

--