The Carnival is over for Judith Durham

Nicholas D. Richards

Aug 6, 2022, 1:32:34 PM8/6/22
The Seekers were very much part of my youth, I loved her voice and the
easy nature of the music that they recorded. 'The Carnival is Over' has
special meaning for me.

Circa 1965 I was sat at the piano and playing the 'The Carnival is Over'
from sheet music. My Granny, who did not even have a radio in her house,
came into the dining room singing, in Russian. A very surprised
0sterc@tcher said 'Granny I did not know that you listened to pop
music'. 'I don't, its a folksong from home, Stenka Razin'.

--
0sterc@tcher -

"Oů sont les neiges d'antan?"

Richard Robinson

Aug 6, 2022, 1:56:46 PM8/6/22
I knew that same thing on account of Juvenile Sprouts Or Something.
Some adult whose idea of a fun time was to round us up for A Jolly
Singsong, including that. I don't remember any Russian people being
involved in any way apart from being sung about. Something about robbery
& murder on the Volga, IIRC.

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Nicholas D. Richards

Aug 6, 2022, 2:22:36 PM8/6/22
In article <KfWdnWfy_-jFNnP_...@brightview.co.uk>, Richard
Robinson <rich...@privacy.net> on Sat, 6 Aug 2022 at 12:56:40 awoke
Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>Nicholas D. Richards said:
>> The Seekers were very much part of my youth, I loved her voice and the
>> easy nature of the music that they recorded. 'The Carnival is Over' has
>> special meaning for me.
>>
>> Circa 1965 I was sat at the piano and playing the 'The Carnival is Over'
>> from sheet music. My Granny, who did not even have a radio in her house,
>> came into the dining room singing, in Russian. A very surprised
>> 0sterc@tcher said 'Granny I did not know that you listened to pop
>> music'. 'I don't, its a folksong from home, Stenka Razin'.
>
>I knew that same thing on account of Juvenile Sprouts Or Something.
>Some adult whose idea of a fun time was to round us up for A Jolly
>Singsong, including that. I don't remember any Russian people being
>involved in any way apart from being sung about. Something about robbery
>& murder on the Volga, IIRC.

The real Stenka Razin led a number of peasant revolts against the boyars
and the Czarist authorities. In the song he sadly he drunkenly
sacrifices his Persian Princess to the Volga. The validity of this event
is questioned. Eventually the rebellious leader and his brother were
betrayed and offered up to the Czarist authorities who cruelly extracted
their revenge as they executed him (dismemberment while still alive).

Richard Robinson

Aug 6, 2022, 3:06:07 PM8/6/22
Nicholas D. Richards said:
> In article <KfWdnWfy_-jFNnP_...@brightview.co.uk>, Richard
> Robinson <rich...@privacy.net> on Sat, 6 Aug 2022 at 12:56:40 awoke
> Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>>Nicholas D. Richards said:
>>> The Seekers were very much part of my youth, I loved her voice and the
>>> easy nature of the music that they recorded. 'The Carnival is Over' has
>>> special meaning for me.
>>>
>>> Circa 1965 I was sat at the piano and playing the 'The Carnival is Over'
>>> from sheet music. My Granny, who did not even have a radio in her house,
>>> came into the dining room singing, in Russian. A very surprised
>>> 0sterc@tcher said 'Granny I did not know that you listened to pop
>>> music'. 'I don't, its a folksong from home, Stenka Razin'.
>>
>>I knew that same thing on account of Juvenile Sprouts Or Something.
>>Some adult whose idea of a fun time was to round us up for A Jolly
>>Singsong, including that. I don't remember any Russian people being
>>involved in any way apart from being sung about. Something about robbery
>>& murder on the Volga, IIRC.
>>
> The real Stenka Razin led a number of peasant revolts against the boyars
> and the Czarist authorities. In the song he sadly he drunkenly
> sacrifices his Persian Princess to the Volga. The validity of this event
> is questioned.

I guess the lady herself might have had a few moral reservsations on the
subject.

> Eventually the rebellious leader and his brother were
> betrayed and offered up to the Czarist authorities who cruelly extracted
> their revenge as they executed him (dismemberment while still alive).

Happy Fun Singsong, right enough. "For you, the carnival is over".

And yes, the Beebnews had a fragment of something of theirs and I
remembered that at the time I'd reckoned them as better than the local
average.

maus

Aug 6, 2022, 3:10:24 PM8/6/22
Christy Moore, a singer and writer from round here, used a lot of
Russian music as a base for his songs.

--
grey...@mail.org
Fi Fi Fo Fum, I smell the stench of an influencer

maus

Aug 6, 2022, 3:14:23 PM8/6/22
On 2022-08-06, Nicholas D. Richards <nich...@salmiron.com> wrote:
Popular for treason in these Islands until recently (Robert Emmet,
around 181*, William Wallace at an earlier time. Hung, Drawn and
Quartered)

Brian Gaff

Aug 7, 2022, 3:51:52 AM8/7/22
Well, I cannot find that tune with her singing on her own, but I do have
this one.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v39ebs6mh0ioqfo/I%27ll%20never%20find%20another%20you.flac?dl=1

Its quite short.

Nice though.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Nicholas D. Richards" <nich...@salmiron.com> wrote in message

John Williamson

Aug 7, 2022, 4:35:16 AM8/7/22

I have only ever heard her singing with the Seekers, never solo.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

soup

Aug 7, 2022, 8:28:56 AM8/7/22
Oh I am really sad now.
"Carnival is over" was a great piece.
But my 'most remembered' was "Morningtown ride" I used to hear that on
the radio a LOT when I was a kid and it stuck in my memory.

RIP Judith

John Williamson

Aug 7, 2022, 9:00:32 AM8/7/22
On 07/08/2022 13:28, soup wrote:

> Oh I am really sad now.
> "Carnival is over" was a great piece.
> But my 'most remembered' was "Morningtown ride" I used to hear that on
> the radio a LOT when I was a kid and it stuck in my memory.
>
> RIP Judith

I have the Best of the Seekers on the hard drive and when I'm in the
right mood, nothing else will do.

maus

Aug 7, 2022, 10:40:33 AM8/7/22
Seconded. Where did all the years go?

Nicholas D. Richards

Aug 7, 2022, 10:48:43 AM8/7/22
In article <tcob67$j912$1...@dont-email.me>, soup <inv...@invalid.com> on
Sun, 7 Aug 2022 at 13:28:58 awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
For obvious reasons I always go back to The Carnival is over; I would
not detract from her singing of Morningtown ride. Apart from her singing
unaccompanied 'I'll never find another you' I never heard her singing
without the Seekers, but that is the UK for you.

Nicholas D. Richards

Aug 7, 2022, 10:48:43 AM8/7/22
In article <jl9rbd...@mid.individual.net>, John Williamson
<johnwil...@btinternet.com> on Sun, 7 Aug 2022 at 14:00:28 awoke
Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
Fortunately I do not need a hard drive, there are voices that I can
always hear, in my mind, hers is one of those voices.

Brian Gaff

Aug 8, 2022, 6:51:57 AM8/8/22
Weirdly, Morning town Ride here was put out as a Christmas song, with slight
lyric changes, but most of the versions you hear now are the original one.
Brian

--

--:
"John Williamson" <johnwil...@btinternet.com> wrote in message