whinge

已查看 15 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

RustyHinge

未读,
2022年11月3日 21:23:262022/11/3
收件人
Just about to submit this to my Parish Mag:

What Gets My Goat

Do you remember many years ago cooking, say, a pork chop, a rolled
beef 'joint', bacon rashers, even sausages?

Did they ever exude obscene quantities of white gunge like the white
of fried egg and enough water to drown themselves in?

If you're only half as old as I am you will not recall such culinary
manifestations until relatively recently.

Not every bygone commestible is so plain and honest as the stuff most
of us were used to, mind: my mother was a physiotherapist in private
practice. For obvious reasons she always asked a new patient's
occupation. On one occasion this prompted her to ask "What's a
'Pipper'?" The answer was surprising, but quite prosaic: "I operate the
machine that turns wood into the pips in raspberry jam." The jam in
question was quite wholesome, but had no acquaintance with actual
raspberries, being composed of mangolds, sugar, colouring, artificial
raspberry flavour, citric acid crystals and maybe some gelling agent. I
forget all the details as I wasn't long out of short trousers at the time.

Back to the matter in (the) pan: I'm not certain what the white stuff
is but I suspect it is by-products of processes such as cheesemaking and
that the water is just that - water.

Legislation, no-doubt enacted as a result of parliamentary lobbying
by grasping (or at least, thoughtless of the consequences) food
processers permits water to be injected into uncooked meat 'to enhance
its quality' on the plate when it is cooked. By-products that are
considered edible can also adulterate legally a commestible.

By-products such as whey are nutritive, but not sought-after to a
large enough extent to ease them out of the waste products category,
thus costing - (eg) cheesemakers - actual money to dispose of them, but
by being edible, can be incorporated into saleable products.

These permissions suggested to certain creative minds with far too
much time for plotting, that instead of costing a lot of money to
dispose of them, they could be surreptitiously slipped into, injected
into, or otherwise palmed-off onto an unsuspecting public at a handsome
profit at the retail price of whatever product it is being dumped in.

Two or three rashers of bacon can yield a heaped teaspoon of that
white of fried-egg-like pollutant.

Sausages often have little voids in the mince infilled with it during
cooking, and chops are often coated with it: quantities can be scraped
off the surfaces when the meat is cooked.

What is most goat-getting is that I am paying premium rates will he,
nil he, for someone else's rubbish - I am paying them good money to get
the rubbish which should be costing them money to dispose of, and/or at
any rate I am paying chop rate, sausage rate, bacon rate for water, at
eye-watering rate.

Also posted in alt.2sausages.bacon.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove

--
Rusty Hinge

Brian Gaff

未读,
2022年11月4日 04:53:342022/11/4
收件人
You forget sliced ham in those sealed packs, I often joke that the
underwater pig farm was used to create this batch again, when you need to
wring the slices out to stop it making the sandwich soggy.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"RustyHinge" <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote in message

Peter

未读,
2022年11月4日 06:14:152022/11/4
收件人
RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote in

> Just about to submit this to my Parish Mag:
>
> What Gets My Goat
>
> Do you remember many years ago cooking, say, a pork chop, a rolled
> beef 'joint', bacon rashers, even sausages?
>
> Did they ever exude obscene quantities of white gunge like the
> white
> of fried egg and enough water to drown themselves in?
>

> Two or three rashers of bacon can yield a heaped teaspoon of that
> white of fried-egg-like pollutant.

Before you submit, you might want to do a bit of wibbling around. Here's a
couple of the sites that I found useful:
https://tinyurl.com/white-stuff-bacon-1
https://tinyurl.com/white-stuff-bacon-3

Also it depends how you cook your bacon. I prefer to grill it for 10
minutes a side (adjust to suit your grill and your taste). After the first
side there is some gunk appearing, but that vanishes while doing the second
session under the grill. Tasty!

--
Peter
-----

RustyHinge

未读,
2022年11月4日 08:47:442022/11/4
收件人
Sn!pe suggests the culprit is prolly polyphosphates, but that dozen
explain why the same stuff ooooozes out of allegedly "fresh" meat -
pork, lamb, beef and sometimes turkey.

I'll look at those linkies, ta muchly.

RustyHinge

未读,
2022年11月4日 09:03:492022/11/4
收件人
On 04/11/2022 10:14, Peter wrote:

> Before you submit, you might want to do a bit of wibbling around. Here's a
> couple of the sites that I found useful:
> https://tinyurl.com/white-stuff-bacon-1
> https://tinyurl.com/white-stuff-bacon-3

Neither jbexrq, but you've set me orf on a white gunge hunt, ta.

soup

未读,
2022年11月4日 09:15:222022/11/4
收件人
On 04/11/2022 13:03, RustyHinge wrote:
> On 04/11/2022 10:14, Peter wrote:
>
>> Before you submit, you might want to do a bit of wibbling around.
>> Here's a
>> couple of the sites that I found useful:
>> https://tinyurl.com/white-stuff-bacon-1
>> https://tinyurl.com/white-stuff-bacon-3
>
> Neither jbexrq, but you've set me orf on a white gunge hunt, ta.

I just used them OK . I am on Thunderbird (as a usenet client) and
Firefox (as a browser).

John Williamson

未读,
2022年11月4日 09:21:202022/11/4
收件人
On 04/11/2022 13:03, RustyHinge wrote:
> On 04/11/2022 10:14, Peter wrote:
>
>> Before you submit, you might want to do a bit of wibbling around.
>> Here's a
>> couple of the sites that I found useful:
>> https://tinyurl.com/white-stuff-bacon-1
>> https://tinyurl.com/white-stuff-bacon-3
>
> Neither jbexrq, but you've set me orf on a white gunge hunt, ta.

They jbexrq here (Windoze X, Firefox and Iron.)

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

The Nomad

未读,
2022年11月4日 09:26:412022/11/4
收件人
<quote>

The answer is related to a similar issue appearing in this question.

Basically, that residue is mostly water, along with denatured proteins
from the meat. When meat is cooked and the cells expel moisture, there are
a lot of dissolved proteins which sometimes make the liquid light-colored
and thick.

People tend to notice it more with certain meats than others. With bacon,
it tends to show up a little more because a lot of commercial bacon is now
wet-cured by injection. The extra moisture in the bacon flows out quicker
during cooking and carries protein with it. This is also more of a problem
with thinner cuts of bacon, since the more "damaged" cells, the more this
protein leaks out. Thinner cut bacon -- like the ground beef mentioned in
the link above -- has a higher ratio of cut and damaged cells than thick-
cut bacon. (There are other factors that can add to this too, e.g.,
freezing, which also damages cells.)

It's safe to eat, though not particularly pleasant textured or tasty.
Rinsing the bacon wouldn't help. A few ways to lessen it:

Try a different brand of bacon, perhaps one that adds less moisture
Buy thicker bacon
Cook more slowly: this may not help much with some bacon, but the
faster the meat cooks up and shrinks, the faster the liquid flows out
If possible, buy traditional dry-cured bacon with no liquid injected
(sometimes hard to find these days)

</quote>

HTH

Avpx

--
THERE'S JUST ME, said Death. THE FINAL FRONTIER.
(Moving Pictures)

RustyHinge

未读,
2022年11月4日 11:53:582022/11/4
收件人
T/bird here TAAAW, and Firefox, and Mint as OS. All I got was blank pages.

RustyHinge

未读,
2022年11月4日 12:03:412022/11/4
收件人
The thick-cut bacon I cooked last (a good ⅛" thick) yielded about 2
tablespoons of water and 2 teaspoons of white gunge.

I wish I still had my home-made smerkhouse - used to cold smerk loadsa
stuff, but mainly goats' cheese. Oak sawdust and planings from a local
carpenter (used now to condition wines) smouldering around 10' to 18'
below stuff to be smerked.

Thomas Prufer

未读,
2022年11月4日 13:03:352022/11/4
收件人
On Fri, 4 Nov 2022 16:03:39 +0000, RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk>
wrote:
>I wish I still had my home-made smerkhouse - used to cold smerk loadsa
>stuff, but mainly goats' cheese. Oak sawdust and planings from a local
>carpenter (used now to condition wines) smouldering around 10' to 18'
>below stuff to be smerked.

Izzat ten to eighteen feet?

Thomas Prufer

RustyHinge

未读,
2022年11月4日 16:19:132022/11/4
收件人
Yes.

RustyHinge

未读,
2022年11月4日 17:08:082022/11/4
收件人
On 04/11/2022 01:23, RustyHinge wrote:
> Just about to submit this to my Parish Mag:
>
> What Gets My Goat
Redoing article in the light of replies - will repost it when finished
(cooked)

Richard Robinson

未读,
2022年11月4日 17:44:212022/11/4
收件人
RustyHinge said:
> On 04/11/2022 01:23, RustyHinge wrote:
>> Just about to submit this to my Parish Mag:
>>
>> What Gets My Goat
> Redoing article in the light of replies - will repost it when finished
> (cooked)

Mmm, goat !

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

greymaus

未读,
2022年11月4日 19:13:022022/11/4
收件人
My family used to cure their own bacon, until it got hard to get anyone
skilled in salting it. The last time, it turned out that the person that
salted it had never done it before, just seen it done, at the bacon was
inedible. At that time, there were people wandering the road of ireland,
and if they called to a house, it was expected that they be fed and
allowed somewhere to sleep, usually some straw in an outside shed.

Hint: If sleeping on such a bed, make sure it straw, not hay.

The sides of that bacon were hanging up in a cupboard, and would be
still, until my Mother discovered that the travellers would eat
anything, and she would cut off a couple of rasher for their breakfast.

One man, who seemed to have an alcoholic tendency, loved that bacon, and
wold smack his mouth, and say , `That would put a thirst on you.'

The years passed, and the kindness seemed to leach out of the country
parts. I remember about the first Farmers wife to turn away beggers, she
was famous for years.

Thomas Prufer

未读,
2022年11月5日 07:46:122022/11/5
收件人
On Fri, 4 Nov 2022 20:19:11 +0000, RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk>
wrote:

>On 04/11/2022 17:03, Thomas Prufer wrote:
>> On Fri, 4 Nov 2022 16:03:39 +0000, RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>>> I wish I still had my home-made smerkhouse - used to cold smerk loadsa
>>> stuff, but mainly goats' cheese. Oak sawdust and planings from a local
>>> carpenter (used now to condition wines) smouldering around 10' to 18'
>>> below stuff to be smerked.
>>
>> Izzat ten to eighteen feet?
>>

>> Thomas Prufer
>
>Yes.

Envy...

I have a small metal smoker, fired with sawdust. Smoking is not that hot, but
certainly not cold, and the smoking is done is a several of hours.

Reminds me of the smokehouse in a farm I was on as a nipper: Wood-fired stove in
the kitchen, for the days when the small electric range wasn't enough cooker.
And the chimney went up, as they do, and there was a room in the loft. On the
side of the chimney, with a hole maybe 8" x 6" to let the smoke from the stove
in. Sticks and racks and such, with hams and pork belly hanging. They would
leave the meat in there for a long time, weeks on up, and it would take on a
black glaze almost like urushi lacquer. (Foggy on the details, I didn't pay much
attention then.)

Thomas Prufer

Richard Robinson

未读,
2022年11月5日 08:39:282022/11/5
收件人
Thomas Prufer said:

> Reminds me of the smokehouse in a farm I was on as a nipper:

Reminds me of the first time I met the Spanish 'serrano' ham: hanging on
strings from the ceiling of a bar filled with tobacco smoke ...

("don't mind me, i'm just a cynical abstrad")

greymaus

未读,
2022年11月5日 11:18:152022/11/5
收件人
The mountains, the 1950's. One family had more than two pence to rub
together, and had sides hanging over a turf fire. Visitors were told,
`Mind your head with the bacon', there by drawing attention to the
hanging sides. Turf cut from the top of a nearby mountain, and drawn
down with ass carts, a bit dangerous. From memory, the mountain was
called either `Blane Loss' or `Moanbane'

--
grey...@mail.com

Fe, Fi, Fo, Fum, I smell the stench of an Influencer.
Where is our money gone, Dude?

TMack

未读,
2022年11月5日 15:14:012022/11/5
收件人
On Fri, 04 Nov 2022 01:23:24 +0000, RustyHinge wrote:

> Just about to submit this to my Parish Mag:
>
> What Gets My Goat
>
> Do you remember many years ago cooking, say, a pork chop, a rolled
> beef 'joint', bacon rashers, even sausages?
>
> Did they ever exude obscene quantities of white gunge like the white
> of fried egg and enough water to drown themselves in?

Polyphosphates - "...legally permitted additives that are widely used to
aid processing or to improve the eating quality of many foods,
particularly meat and fish products. *One outcome of this treatment is a
significant gain of weight caused by the retention/uptake of water and
natural juice into the fish tissues*". Basically, it's a way of selling
people water instead of meat.

Tone

未读,
2022年11月5日 15:22:552022/11/5
收件人
Similarly with tinned fruit and veg.

Tone

Don Stockbauer

未读,
2022年11月5日 15:23:152022/11/5
收件人
So it's OK for me to post here using Google groups?

Mike Spencer

未读,
2022年11月5日 15:23:432022/11/5
收件人

greymaus <grey...@dmaus.org> writes:

> Hint: If sleeping on such a bed, make sure it straw, not hay.

Why is that? I've slept in hay more than once with no untoward effects.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

Tone

未读,
2022年11月5日 15:36:412022/11/5
收件人
Why not? I do if I have problems with ES or Thunderbox.

Tone

greymaus

未读,
2022年11月5日 16:26:052022/11/5
收件人
On 2022-11-05, Mike Spencer <m...@bogus.nodomain.nowhere> wrote:

> greymaus <grey...@dmaus.org> writes:
>
>> Hint: If sleeping on such a bed, make sure it straw, not hay.
>
> Why is that? I've slept in hay more than once with no untoward effects.

Midges or summat in Hay, keep you scratching next day.

RustyHinge

未读,
2022年11月5日 16:46:312022/11/5
收件人
The Moan of Moanblane being the Gaelic for peat, There are words in
the Gaelic for just about every state and size of peats, from the little
coal-like lumps, through bigger lumps, browner, looser stuff, whole
blocks of it, heaps of it, peat in general, particular tpes of peat -
almost as many in fact as words for snow in Iceland.

RustyHinge

未读,
2022年11月5日 16:48:262022/11/5
收件人
On 05/11/2022 19:23, Mike Spencer wrote:
> greymaus <grey...@dmaus.org> writes:
>
>> Hint: If sleeping on such a bed, make sure it straw, not hay.
>
> Why is that? I've slept in hay more than once with no untoward effects.

Hay is much more likely to be inhabited by things with too many legs,
and with a thirst for blood.

RustyHinge

未读,
2022年11月5日 17:01:452022/11/5
收件人
Thobut sometimes they don't appear here - the one you were replying to
hasn't graced my flatpot yet.

Richard Robinson

未读,
2022年11月5日 20:00:062022/11/5
收件人
greymaus said:
> On 2022-11-05, Mike Spencer <m...@bogus.nodomain.nowhere> wrote:
>>
>> greymaus <grey...@dmaus.org> writes:
>>
>>> Hint: If sleeping on such a bed, make sure it straw, not hay.
>>
>> Why is that? I've slept in hay more than once with no untoward effects.
>>

> Midges or summat in Hay, keep you scratching next day.

EMWTK, Wye ?

Tease'n'Seize

未读,
2022年11月6日 03:46:282022/11/6
收件人
RustyHinge wrote:

> Hay is much more likely to be inhabited by things with too many legs, and with a
> thirst for blood.

And Lyme disease seems more prevalent, a cojbexor got bited, and developed a
number of allergies.

Mike Spencer

未读,
2022年11月6日 14:51:472022/11/6
收件人

RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> writes:

> On 05/11/2022 19:23, Mike Spencer wrote:
>
>> greymaus <grey...@dmaus.org> writes:
>>
>>> Hint: If sleeping on such a bed, make sure it straw, not hay.
>>
>> Why is that? I've slept in hay more than once with no untoward effects.
>
> Hay is much more likely to be inhabited by things with too many legs,
> and with a thirst for blood.

Ah, well, then I've had recurring good luck. Plenty of critters such
as they in places where I've lived but none encountered in hay lofts.

Tone

未读,
2022年11月6日 17:13:402022/11/6
收件人
We once thought it would be a good idea to sleep on cut bracken leaves.
It wasn't.

Tone

Brian Gaff

未读,
2022年11月7日 04:52:182022/11/7
收件人
Yes I noticed a lot of the first messages in today's crop of as downloads
has just vanished it appears, and I'm not going to Google to find them, my
brain would break.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"RustyHinge" <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote in message

Brian

未读,
2022年11月7日 10:36:472022/11/7
收件人
RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
> On 04/11/2022 10:14, Peter wrote:
>> RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote in
>>
>>> Just about to submit this to my Parish Mag:
>>>
>>> What Gets My Goat
>>>
>>> Do you remember many years ago cooking, say, a pork chop, a rolled
>>> beef 'joint', bacon rashers, even sausages?
>>>
>>> Did they ever exude obscene quantities of white gunge like the
>>> white
>>> of fried egg and enough water to drown themselves in?
>>>

>>> Two or three rashers of bacon can yield a heaped teaspoon of that
>>> white of fried-egg-like pollutant.
>>
>> Before you submit, you might want to do a bit of wibbling around. Here's a
>> couple of the sites that I found useful:
>> https://tinyurl.com/white-stuff-bacon-1
>> https://tinyurl.com/white-stuff-bacon-3
>>
>> Also it depends how you cook your bacon. I prefer to grill it for 10
>> minutes a side (adjust to suit your grill and your taste). After the first
>> side there is some gunk appearing, but that vanishes while doing the second
>> session under the grill. Tasty!
>
> Sn!pe suggests the culprit is prolly polyphosphates, but that dozen
> explain why the same stuff ooooozes out of allegedly "fresh" meat -
> pork, lamb, beef and sometimes turkey.
>
> I'll look at those linkies, ta muchly.

Yes, polyphosphates are injected into meat - especially bacon and pork but
also others- to ‘improve it’.

When you cooked bacon, besides the ‘water’ and ‘white milky stuff’, they
also account for the blue tinged sheen you sometimes see on the bacon.

RustyHinge

未读,
2022年11月7日 13:00:092022/11/7
收件人
That's been there since time immoral - diffraction effect of grain.

Mike Fleming

未读,
2022年11月10日 08:31:172022/11/10
收件人
On 04/11/2022 15:53, RustyHinge wrote:
> On 04/11/2022 13:15, soup wrote:

>>> Neither jbexrq, but you've set me orf on a white gunge hunt, ta.
>>
>> I just used them OK .  I am on Thunderbird (as a usenet client) and
>> Firefox (as a browser).
>
> T/bird here TAAAW, and Firefox, and Mint as OS. All I got was blank pages.

Works here on Windaz, TB, and Cr.

Mike Fleming

未读,
2022年11月10日 08:34:012022/11/10
收件人
On 05/11/2022 19:13, TMack wrote:
I think that's why you get signs saying "At least 100% meat".

Richard Robinson

未读,
2022年11月10日 12:37:042022/11/10
收件人
Local inSanesbury's has a stack of baskets labelled 'Charcuterie'.
Mostly it's chorizo, which I don't like much [note to self: must dig up
that George Orwell quote sometime], but it also has a "Saucisson Sec",
whose small print says "Prepared with 172g of pork per 100g of product"

The Nomad

未读,
2022年11月10日 12:49:352022/11/10
收件人
On Thu, 10 Nov 2022 17:37:03 -0000 (UTC), Richard Robinson
<ric...@qualmograph.org.uk> wrote:

> Mike Fleming said:

SNIP

>> I think that's why you get signs saying "At least 100% meat".
>
> Local inSanesbury's has a stack of baskets labelled 'Charcuterie'.
> Mostly it's chorizo, which I don't like much [note to self: must dig up
> that George Orwell quote sometime], but it also has a "Saucisson Sec",
> whose small print says "Prepared with 172g of pork per 100g of product"

That orta be OK then

Avpx

--
I'm sure we can arrange an academic scholarship
for Detritus. Troll cheerleaers would be nice:

RustyHinge

未读,
2022年11月10日 20:18:382022/11/10
收件人
On 10/11/2022 17:37, Richard Robinson wrote:
> Mike Fleming said:

>>> Polyphosphates - "...legally permitted additives that are widely used to
>>> aid processing or to improve the eating quality of many foods,
>>> particularly meat and fish products. *One outcome of this treatment is a
>>> significant gain of weight caused by the retention/uptake of water and
>>> natural juice into the fish tissues*". Basically, it's a way of selling
>>> people water instead of meat.
>>
>> I think that's why you get signs saying "At least 100% meat".
>
> Local inSanesbury's has a stack of baskets labelled 'Charcuterie'.
> Mostly it's chorizo, which I don't like much [note to self: must dig up
> that George Orwell quote sometime], but it also has a "Saucisson Sec",
> whose small print says "Prepared with 172g of pork per 100g of product"

I could believe that if the basket was full of salamis

Sam Plusnet

未读,
2022年11月11日 14:43:292022/11/11
收件人
Battle of Salamis? I've heard about it, but it was all Greek to me.

--
Sam Plusnet

Nicholas D. Richards

未读,
2022年11月11日 15:30:132022/11/11
收件人
In article <zBxbL.55265$dJd3....@fx11.iad>, Sam Plusnet <n...@home.com>
on Fri, 11 Nov 2022 at 19:43:27 awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and
wrote
Loukaniko? Just saying.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Kerr-Mudd, John

未读,
2022年11月11日 16:08:312022/11/11
收件人
"Dickey Lookie" </Carry on up the Jungle>

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Richard Robinson

未读,
2022年11月12日 04:36:302022/11/12
收件人
Colonel Mustard, in the kitchen.

Sam Plusnet

未读,
2022年11月12日 14:16:272022/11/12
收件人
On 12-Nov-22 9:36, Richard Robinson wrote:
> Sam Plusnet said:

>>> I could believe that if the basket was full of salamis
>>>
>> Battle of Salamis? I've heard about it, but it was all Greek to me.
>
> Colonel Mustard, in the kitchen.

Did your spill-chucker not like Coleman's?

--
Sam Plusnet

John Williamson

未读,